Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pot noodles

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

meh - they're cheap and easy to have for a quick lunch etc.

they have now plans to release a "Family" pot noodle that can feed a family of 6 apparently.
    (dont have link - in todays Daily Mail/Mirror)

I never understand people who "love their food".... it's merely something to put in your stomach to stop you feeling hunger.
    if that happens to be a Pot Noodle, or a Lobster then i dont care as long as it gets rid of hunger.

yeah, some food tastes nice and all that, but there's more to life than "oh my god the steak i got in there last week was unreal" etc etc. it's JUST FOOD.

What a load of crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

kylith wrote: »
    Nothing is ever as good as you remember. I got burned by Skips a long time ago and haven't been able to trust since...

Oh I'm not going to destroy my pot noodle memories by actually eating one; I learned that sad lesson with a findus crispy pancake :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Graces7 wrote: »
    Does anyone please know how I can get these eg mail order?
    Amazon do them, free delivery if you order over £25 and it could be from any department, like order noodles and a tshirt to get to the free delivery limit.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/yum-Instant-Noodles-Chicken-Pack/dp/B007XCPC8S/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=instant+noodles+pack+of+30&qid=1569401493&sr=8-4

Sometimes they give you free delivery if you are just under £25. I tested those there for 3 boxes and did get free delivery. (just a test I doubt you want 90 packs!)

Order Summary
    Items: GBP 24.00
    Postage & Packing: GBP 6.00
    Total before VAT: GBP 30.00
    VAT: GBP 0.00
    Total: GBP 30.00
    Promotion Applied: -GBP 6.00
    (Order Total: GBP 24.00)

Payment Total: EUR 28,25

So they would work out 31cent a pack.

They also sell Lucky Boat noodles, which the chinese takeaways are said to use, these are quite different from the instant ones and only come in big 9kg boxes and are not individually packed. I want to try them but 9kg is like 100packs of instant noodles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Not into the pot noodles but someone mentioned the 10 cent packets of noodles?

Does anyone please know how I can get these eg mail order? I am effectively housebound and supervalu who are so good re deliveries do not stock them. Too far out etc ( offshore island) to get to eg Tesco or lidl and they are a lifesaver when I am not well enough to cook. I had a store of them but all gone..

Not using the flavouring sachets. just the noodles

Planning to try cooking a whole packet of eg penne and bagging it up in portions?

Living on microwaved baked potatoes just now...

Sounds dismal facing into winter, Grace. I'm sure SV do toddler food and while it's very underseasoned it can be a perfect small meal for someone who can't eat much. Wiltshire Farm Foods claim to deliver nationwide and some of their small frozen meals might suit you.
    Does your postman live on the island or on the mainland? Perhaps he would be prepared to facilitate you if you were to get packages delivered to his sorting office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

B0jangles wrote: »
    Oh I'm not going to destroy my pot noodle memories by actually eating one; I learned that sad lesson with a findus crispy pancake :(

I was trying to remember what I had bought recently because of nostalgia that was horrifically underwhelming; Dolmio microwave carbonara. How can something actually taste of nothing? I put a load of parmesan and pepper in it and it was still sooooooo bland.

• Advertisement

Every time I scroll past this thread I get a hankering for a chicken and mushroom pot noodle.

I haven't had one for about twenty years and they've probably had whatever flavour they ever had sucked out of them now that e-numbers and buckets of salt are severely frowned upon, but even so, the pot noodle still calls to me.

One of my particular annoyances is when they changed the recipe for the green pot noodle. I know they weren't exactly health food, but they were tasty and quick, so I bought them the odd time. One day around the mid 2000s they altered the recipe for some reason and made it immeasurably worse.

I could never fathom why. Anyone who ate them was like myself and liked the flavour. Anyone who didn't eat them is hardly gonna turn around and say "wow, new and improved....I better see what the fuss is about".

I mean, imagine dutch gold just changed their recipe......would it have a positive or negative impact on sales, do you reckon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Sounds dismal facing into winter, Grace. I'm sure SV do toddler food and while it's very underseasoned it can be a perfect small meal for someone who can't eat much. Wiltshire Farm Foods claim to deliver nationwide and some of their small frozen meals might suit you.
    Does your postman live on the island or on the mainland? Perhaps he would be prepared to facilitate you if you were to get packages delivered to his sorting office.

Ah thanks ,I am fine. Baked potatoes are grand and eggs and things. Just sometimes niggles when I cannot get to Tesco or dunne's … ALl these firms claim nationwide delivery but they exclude offshore islands This is my first winter without the car so takes a while. SV ready meals are grand too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

One of my particular annoyances is when they changed the recipe for the green pot noodle. I know they weren't exactly health food, but they were tasty and quick, so I bought them the odd time. One day around the mid 2000s they altered the recipe for some reason and made it immeasurably worse.

I could never fathom why. Anyone who ate them was like myself and liked the flavour. Anyone who didn't eat them is hardly gonna turn around and say "wow, new and improved....I better see what the fuss is about".

I mean, imagine dutch gold just changed their recipe......would it have a positive or negative impact on sales, do you reckon?

That's the chicken and mushroom one! So it has been wrecked :(.

Yeah, I don't get the logic - it's not as though people who are already very health conscious are going to start buying pot noodles once they remove all the fat and salt.

fake edit: I literally just read a marketing summary of how pot noodle revived the brand back in 2015 - they repositioned it as a fast food for Busy People rather than a fast food for Lazy People.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

rubadub wrote: »
    Amazon do them, free delivery if you order over £25 and it could be from any department, like order noodles and a tshirt to get to the free delivery limit.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/yum-Instant-Noodles-Chicken-Pack/dp/B007XCPC8S/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=instant+noodles+pack+of+30&qid=1569401493&sr=8-4

Sometimes they give you free delivery if you are just under £25. I tested those there for 3 boxes and did get free delivery. (just a test I doubt you want 90 packs!)

Order Summary

That is very handy! Thank you. As long as delivery is An Post not carrier. As I write something I ordered from ebay having been told it would come by post, is stranded somewhere with DPD. No courier delivery here...
    I get excellent wares from Holland and Barrett by post; over E20 and is free postage and if I order say this afternoon, it will arrive by post tomorrow. Their chocolate dates... they call them decadent! So many kinds of nut butter and honey too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Order Summary

That is very handy! Thank you. As long as delivery is An Post not carrier. As I write something I ordered from ebay having been told it would come by post, is stranded somewhere with DPD. No courier delivery here...
    I get excellent wares from Holland and Barrett by post; over E20 and is free postage and if I order say this afternoon, it will arrive by post tomorrow. Their chocolate dates... they call them decadent! So many kinds of nut butter and honey too.

Drop me a PM any time and I'll send stuff via An Post, I work in Dublin City Centre and live just outside the City Centre so it's no inconvenience at all, I walk by the GPO most days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note:

While we know everyone means well here, we would strongly advise posters not to give their address out to people on the internet. We’d also caution posters not to post things to others. While it’s likely that everyone is above board, there is always a risk of scammers or of good intentions being manipulated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I eat about two Pot Noodles a year (chicken and mushroom flavour) and enjoy every mouthful. I don’t eat them often enough to feel a shred of guilt about their nutritional content.
    kylith wrote: »
    Nothing is ever as good as you remember. I got burned by Skips a long time ago and haven't been able to trust since...

Skips actually changed though. From my childhood anyway. I was eating them into adulthood when the change came. They became way less substantial. Way more flimsy with less powder. So they are not as good as you remember because they’re different now.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭thereitisgone

XsApollo wrote: »
    Soba noodles, Japanese I think.

Got the them the other week and they are delicious as a snack,
    Young Kids won’t like em tho as the flavors are too strong.

Don’t like the other types, koka or pot noodlesz

This, Soba noodles are so far ahead of the rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Soba noodles contain the dreaded palm oil.

Advertisement