Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off roading and hunting

• 18-09-2019 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi all, I’m not a hunter but would be interested. Spent my honeymoon in S. Africa and its clear to see that off road vehicles, trailers, roof top tents and hunting is serious business. It’s not uncommon for couples to drive deep into the bush for a week at a time to hunt.
    My query is does Ireland or even Scotland have this range of remoteness?? Outside national parks, is there the same level of off road trails allowing one to completely disconnect

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Chiparus

nqtfarmer wrote: »
    Hi all, I’m not a hunter but would be interested. Spent my honeymoon in S. Africa and its clear to see that off road vehicles, trailers, roof top tents and hunting is serious business. It’s not uncommon for couples to drive deep into the bush for a week at a time to hunt.
    My query is does Ireland or even Scotland have this range of remoteness?? Outside national parks, is there the same level of off road trails allowing one to completely disconnect
    Probably not , plus our seasons being in winter based and wet would not be the best to go camping.
    Cannot think of anywhere that is that isolated in Ireland.

I used to do culling feral goats in Australia, we would go out for a week, sleeping under the stars, great experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Errr..No and..No ,unfortuneatly to any such wild places on our little island:(.A days walk at best will haveyou falling over some sort of human habitation here,unless you are on one of the deserted Western seaboard islands,even if you werent trying to find someone..

There are some lads who do bush craft canoeing and camping along the Shannon, in all seasons and weeathers...which could give you the illision of being nowhere near civilisation,but I doubt you could legally live off the gun while doing such here.:(
    Scotland,is deffo a better chance for wild isolated areas with better marked Green lanes for off roading.But the fishing& hunting belongs to someone, or some local Laird.Who might take a dim view of you potting one of his prize stags,or hauling out some fish from the burn.:)

You want that kind of expeditionary hunting.Europe is the wrong continent.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

I believe the legend that is Bear Grylls lol, filmed a survival programme on the west coast somewhere, where if he didn't get shelter soon "he would die" lol. Id say the locals didn't know what to make of him. Now if he managed to find wilderness like that here then it must be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Richard308

Oh yes, the comedian bear grylls, the sheeping bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Richard308 wrote: »

Lol If he caught a rabbit, he'd throw away the meat and eat the intestines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭J.R.

Richard308 wrote: »

Yes that was a laugh -

or you could follow Martin Muff's advice below

Advertisement