Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leader of country caught up in blackface controversy.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

He what now?
    A male feminist is just a man who agrees with equal treatment between the sexes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Wow, Mr.Peoplekind getting eaten by his own crew.
    It’s pr1cks like Trudeau that are driving this perpetually offended narrative. Delighted for the sanctimonious, insincere tw@t.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You’re right. I fücking hate closets. Send them home to Ikea or wherever they come from.
    Did you just assume where closets come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

Democrats are far quicker to renounce other Democrats than Republicans are to renounce Republicans.

BS. Ralph Northam got the kid gloves treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

20 years ago. At an Arabian themed party. Yeah, lets dig out the oul pitch forks.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I really am glad that the decision was made to move all of these shít-show threads out of After Hours and into their own forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Quite funny seeing one of the leaders behind this extremely liberal don't offend anyone politically correct bs get caught out for this. Remember he corrected someone for saying mankind instead of peoplekind. Maybe you should relax on the blackface before lecturing others Justin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    20 years ago. At an Arabian themed party. Yeah, lets dig out the oul pitch forks.

:(

Unaware presumably that the Arabs were - and still are - among the leading players in the slavery industry.

About as non-PC as going to a Nuns and Priests themed party dressed as a paedophile.

Whatever about the blackface, he's practically grabbing that woman's boob... And I bet he's pushing his hard on against her ass too. And her smile looks decidedly unhappy. That guy is definitely a perv.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Ha so the poster boy for the liberal left gets caught out, timing sucks for him as well because there's an election coming up and he isn't doing great in the polls.

He wasn't a kid either when this happened so he can't say he was too young to know better at the time, he was 29 years old and employed as a teacher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Bizarre that facepainting seems to trip people up all the time. Not sure why adults need to take responsibility for their much younger clueless selves but it's all about the image and there' someone out there who'll start a fire on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

is_that_so wrote: »
    Bizarre that facepainting seems to trip people up all the time. Not sure why adults need to take responsibility for their much younger clueless selves but it's all about the image and there' someone out there who'll start a fire on social media.

Ah come on now, if it was someone from the right that this was about the pink hair brigade would be screaming for his head.

He was 29 as welll so not exactly young and clueless

Ah come on now, if it was someone from the right that this was about the pink hair brigade would be screaming for his head.
    Part of my point - the screaming. Lots of agendas out there no matter what side of the field you play on. Forcing people to play by 2019 alleged sensibilities is a rich feeding ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Part of my point - the screaming. Lots of agendas out there no matter what side of the field you play on. Forcing people to play by 2019 alleged sensibilities is a rich feeding ground.

Most of the screaming here is the "right" types. Its mostly the right that get offended/triggered/upset nowadays.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

ricero wrote: »
    The champion of the liberals embarrassed for all to see is fairly funny. The left are eating themselves.

I'm sure his best buddy Varadkar is not happy that his best buddy is a supposed racist.

The left? The Canadian liberal party isn't left wing. They are classic economic liberals and socially liberal. Like Fine Gael.

I wish someone could explain when liberals became left wing, with their free market economics and what not. My guess is some time around the advent of YouTube talking heads appearing.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Personally I don’t find what he did offensive and wouldn’t be calling for his head because of it.

We can leave that to certain sections of his fan base and support. He’ll be eaten by his own.

As I posted above, it’s as$holes like him driving this constant over sensitive, everything is offensive claptrap and he’d be the first to condemn an opponent for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Brian? wrote: »
    The left? The Canadian liberal party isn't left wing. They are classic economic liberals and socially liberal. Like Fine Gael.

I wish someone could explain when liberals became left wing, with their free market economics and what not. My guess is some time around the advent of YouTube talking heads appearing.

When you try to converse with the likes of the OP that believe liberal = left 100% its best to ignore facts. It just goes over their heads or they call it fake news.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Most of the screaming here is the "right" types. Its mostly the right that get offended/triggered/upset nowadays.
    North American politics seems hung up on the idea that old pictures tell current stories. They mostly don't but it's good negative campaigning forcing politicians to squirm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Not remotely surprised by this hypocrisy, which in my experience is very common with these do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do types.

I've come across it plenty of times here in Ireland. For instance I know a public-figure duo who spent secondary school and college making interminable gay jokes and constantly doing a "comedy" African accent (including once in front of an African taxi driver) yet both of them nowadays will give out about "dog-whistling", "race and gender based arguments" and "populism"without a hint of self-awareness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Not remotely surprised by this hypocrisy, which in my experience is very common with these do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do types.

I've come across it plenty of times here in Ireland. For instance I know a public-figure duo who spent secondary school and college making interminable gay jokes and constantly doing a "comedy" African accent (including once in front of an African taxi driver) yet both of them nowadays will give out about "dog-whistling", "race and gender based arguments" and "populism"without a hint of self-awareness.

Sounds like they’ve grown as people.

• Advertisement

Personally I don’t find what he did offensive and wouldn’t be calling for his head because of it.

We can leave that to certain sections of his fan base and support. He’ll be eaten by his own.

As I posted above, it’s as$holes like him driving this constant over sensitive, everything is offensive claptrap and he’d be the first to condemn an opponent for it.
    Oh I do think there's holier than thou smugness about him but if you are going to do that you need to be smart enough to see something like this coming and what people will do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I just don’t get the whole black face thing. It’s a bit of makeup ffs.
    Only being allowed to dress up as someone of your own race seems a bit exclusionary does it not? Unless it’s done with the intent to offend obviously.

I know 2 lads that dressed up as Venus and Serena Williams for a fancy dress competition in a pub. It was hilarious and they won first prize. There was nothing offensive about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,842 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Trudeau is such a charlatan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,359 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It would be interesting how many "people of colour" to use that hackneyed phrase, are offended as opposed to whiteys being offended for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

This is completely bloody harmless, for crying out loud. There was some fella with a turban on the television this morning going on as if an act of genocide had been perpetrated against the Sikhs, or something. FFS...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I've just realised that our coal man was an awful racist

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

It would be interesting how many "people of colour" to use that hackneyed phrase, are offended as opposed to whiteys being offended for others.

Exactly. There is a difference between being offended, and being offended on someone's behalf.

He was dressed up as Aladdin. The ones causing the outrage are the ones trying to see it in a more sinister light.

If he dressed up on Paddy's day with an "Irish drinking" team t-shirt/full green and put on an accent and wore a ginger wig, I wouldn't give a hoot. And I would cringe at anyone trying to make a deal of it/talking about cultural appropriation.

Again, he dressed up as Aladdin. But people want to take away that innocent fact and they themselves come up with ideas of hate so they can then condemn it.

Rich whiteys at that.

Its hard enough to be working class and Left today but to be in to identity politics and not be well to do is near impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

As creepy is his hand on that girl's neck in that photo.

• Advertisement

As creepy is his hand on that girl's neck in that photo.

That little finger stretched as far as it can

Advertisement