Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best War Movie EVER: Boardsies Decide - Voting Thread

1222324252628»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

He's not wrong tbf :D

And after a gruelling contest, the winner of the Best War Movie EVER Tournament as decided by Boardsies is....

With a dominating scoreline of 15 votes to 6 over a worthy adversary....

41zN6HGkL1L.jpg

SAVING PRIVATE RYAN

Thank you for playing everyone, I hope you enjoyed the tournament even if the outcome is not what you wished for :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Wait. The Great Escape beat Schindler's List?

Ohhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Thanks for running Necro, serious effort, much appreciated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I demand a full recount.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Thanks Necro. Not the best film, IMO, but not far off, so happy with the result. Enjoyable playing along.

Here are all of the movies nominated that were in the contest, with the ones nominated multiple times on the top:

In fairness, the result and the semis pretty much reflect that unanimously.

Entries Number of Nominations
    Saving Private Ryan 12
    Inglorious Basterds 11
    Full Metal Jacket 10
    The Great Escape 10
    Platoon 9
    Apocalypse Now 5
    Das Boot 4
    Braveheart 4
    Black Hawk Down 3
    Hurt Locker 3
    Good Morning Vietnam 3
    Dunkirk 2
    Empire of The Sun 2
    Downfall 2
    Aliens 2
    Kelley's Heroes 2
    Hacksaw Ridge 2
    The Imitation Game 2
    Jarhead 2
    Where Eagles Dare 2
    Battle of Britain 2
    The matrix 1
    war horse 1
    terminator 2 1
    war games 1
    d.a.r.y.l. 1
    Schindler's List 1
    M*A*S*H 1
    The Dirty Dozen 1
    Too Late The Hero 1
    A Very Long Engagement 1
    Barry Lyndon 1
    The Dam Busters 1
    He-Man Masters Of The Universe 1
    Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back 1
    Dances With Wolves 1
    A Few Good Men 1
    American Sniper 1
    Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers 1
    The Rock 1
    Stalag 17 1
    Sands of Iwo Jima 1
    Lord of War 1
    Paths of Glory 1
    Enemy At The Gates 1
    Pan's Labyrinth 1
    Hamburger Hill 1
    Wind that shakes the Barley 1
    Casualties of War 1
    The Deer Hunter 1
    Born On The Fourth Of July 1
    We Were Soldiers 1
    The Pianist 1
    Forest Gump 1
    Casablanca 1
    Cross of Iron 1
    Red Tails 1
    Sink the Bismarck 1
    Hunt For Red October 1
    Michael Collins 1
    Tora! Tora! Tora! 1
    A bridge too far 1
    The bridge on the River Kwai 1
    The Longest Day 1
    The Big Red One 1
    Gallipoli 1
    Rambo 1 1
    Memphis Belle 1
    Rambo 2 1
    Lawrence of Arabia 1
    Starship Troopers 1
    Eye in The Sky 1
    The Warriors 1
    Top Gun 1
    Letters From Iwo Jima 1
    Zulu 1
    Pearl Harbour 1
    The Thin Red Line 1
    Dr. Zhivago 1
    Iron Sky 1
    Porco Rosso 1
    Dr. Strangelove 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Cheers Nerco. Great fun. One hell of an effort. Well done indeed. I tip my hat to you!!

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

quickbeam wrote: »
    Thanks Necro. Not the best film, IMO, but not far off, so happy with the result. Enjoyable playing along.

I suspect it's in a lot of top fives but not top of many lists, but that's enough to win through in head to heads

Ted_YNWA wrote:
    I demand a full recount.

Knock yourself out it's all on the thread ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Necro wrote: »
    Knock yourself out it's all on the thread ;)

tenor.gif?itemid=10799720

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

That was great fun, even if democracy clearly doesn't work. :D

Thanks for running it Necro, that was a huge amount of work you put in.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I applaud whoever nominated Iron Sky.

Some strange nominating, though. Shame Gettysburg didn’t get a nomination, it is one of my top five.
    1941 deserved a nomination as well, as did Glory! but they were never going to win, so I can see that. Same with a Fury, a better movie for tankers than most non-tankers understand, but not a class leader. The Enemy Below was good. And how can Irish voting have skipped out The Siege of Jadotville?

One which definitely should have been mentioned is 12 O’ Clock High. It is one of the very few movies which is considered a mandatory part of officer development in the US Military. Not in the “traditional” sense like Kelly’s Heroes is, but it actually is on the curriculum of the Command and a General Staff College for the leadership lessons it covers. Men of Honor usually gets a viewing as well, but generally just clips, not the full movie.

Seven oscars, and not one nomination on this thread for Patton? I mean, yes, it has its flaws, but how did that happen? Similarly, Mr Roberts also got a number of Oscar nominations, but nothing here. Or Lawrence of Arabia, another seven oscars.

I think the problem Manic is that there are so many great films and we were limited to only 5 nominations each. Just look at the number of films that only received one nomination each. Three of my own are included in that, and two of them advanced pretty far, and the same for a number of other films that only received one vote. I'd say in some cases people simply forgot about a certain film or there were too many others that they preferred. If there were 10 nominations each, for example, then I'd say a good few of the films you mentioned would have made the list. But I'd say it would also have resulted in Necro having a breakdown, so I can see why he left it at five. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Some strange nominating, though. Shame Gettysburg didn’t get a nomination, it is one of my top five.
    1941 deserved a nomination as well, as did Glory! but they were never going to win, so I can see that. Same with a Fury, a better movie for tankers than most non-tankers understand, but not a class leader. The Enemy Below was good. And how can Irish voting have skipped out The Siege of Jadotville?

One which definitely should have been mentioned is 12 O’ Clock High. It is one of the very few movies which is considered a mandatory part of officer development in the US Military. Not in the “traditional” sense like Kelly’s Heroes is, but it actually is on the curriculum of the Command and a General Staff College for the leadership lessons it covers. Men of Honor usually gets a viewing as well, but generally just clips, not the full movie.

Seven oscars, and not one nomination on this thread for Patton? I mean, yes, it has its flaws, but how did that happen? Similarly, Mr Roberts also got a number of Oscar nominations, but nothing here. Or Lawrence of Arabia, another seven oscars.

You were going so well, but just went one too far...

Laurance of Arabia did get a nomination here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Oh, right at the bottom. Damnit.

I don’t personally like the movie, but I don’t think one can deny it is a “great”

Zaph wrote: »
    But I'd say it would also have resulted in Necro having a breakdown, so I can see why he left it at five. :D

Breakdown? Nah... I'm fine

SpecificDopeyAcornwoodpecker-size_restricted.gif

Love Mister Roberts and considered including it.

A few others I considered that weren't nominated elsewhere:

Anthropoid (someone mentioned it)
    Escape to Victory
    Joyeux Noel (someone mentioned it)
    Life is Beautiful
    A Midnight Clear
    To Have and Have Not
    Von Ryan's Express

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

4 people voted that hacksaw ridge was a better film than saving private Ryan.

Was the only war film these people ever seen hacksaw ridge?

SPR is not a bad winner considering all the choice out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Nice choice of finalists either winning make me happy but I would have voted TGE for nostalgia watching it with my dad as I still do

Nice Necro thanks for running it

BDI wrote: »
    4 people voted that hacksaw ridge was a better film than saving private Ryan.

Was the only war film these people ever seen hacksaw ridge?

You do realise that the whole voting process is subjective, don't you? Just because you clearly think that SPR is the better film doesn't mean that it is, it just is in your opinion. Personally I don't like Tom Hanks and I thought that Hacksaw Ridge was a superb film, so both those factors influenced my vote. Similarly that doesn't mean that Hacksaw Ridge is a better film, just in my opinion I preferred it. However I did vote for SPR over another film later on because at that point I preferred it to the other film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

If you didn't nominate, you have no right to complain. It was open to all. Hindsight is for tailgunners!

If you did nominate, you didn't nominate those films either so you understand why other people cut them from their top fives too!

(My snippyness has nothing to do with you leaving Battle Beyond the Stars off your list)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

khalessi wrote: »
    Nice choice of finalists either winning make me happy but I would have voted TGE for nostalgia watching it with my dad as I still do

Nice Necro thanks for running it

He is a nice Necro

You guys think this one sparked debate, wait till I run the Best TV Show EVER Tournament :pac:

You guys think this one sparked debate, wait till I run the Best TV Show EVER Tournament :pac:

No contest there. Has to be Diagnosis Murder, right?

Just give it to The West Wing now and save yourself a lot of hassle. :D

Over Murder, She Wrote?!

It's OK, I assume it just slipped your mind

Depends. Does Band of Brothers qualify. Or do I have to run a mini series contest after the main one :pac:

• Advertisement

Magnum PI surely :D

It's obviously Battlestar Galactica.

Star trek deep space nine lololol

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Last of the Mohicans

Depends. Does Band of Brothers qualify. Or do I have to run a mini series contest after the main one :pac:

Probably something to clarify at sign-up.

Also, what about:
    - documentaries (eg: Blue Planet)
    - soap operas (eg: Eastenders)
    - reality shows (eg: The Great British Bake Off)
    - quiz shows (eg: University Challenge)
    - children's shows (eg: Bosco)
    - news shows (eg: Newsnight)
    - magazine shows (eg: Nationwide)
    - light entertainment shows (eg: Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway)
    - chat shows (eg: Graham Norton)
    ... etc, etc.

Can any of those be nominated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Brilliant work on it Necro but the result wasn't right, I suppose that's life but yer all heathens. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I expect it's because most of the older movies don't get played that much in the last couple of decades. So a lot of people haven't seen them. Also their significance is lost watched out of context alongside modern media and if someone hasn't much interest in the history. Which is why movies Which are pure entertainment and little else got rated so highly. So you can't take it that seriously.

I got in pretty late on the thread and realised pretty quick it's only a bit of fun.

I would have nominated top secret.

https://youtu.be/7f_19nxNfjs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Limpy wrote: »
    Last of the Mohicans

Great Movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Yester

Thanks for this. I enjoyed reading along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Thanks Necro, even though I missed the majority, I thought the speed of it was great.. no hanging about, I'll make sure to clear my schedule for the next one..

Also.. the crystal maze is obviously the best TV show

Trigger wrote: »
    Thanks Necro, even though I missed the majority, I thought the speed of it was great.. no hanging about, I'll make sure to clear my schedule for the next one..

If you like crystal maze you should go to Boss Borg centre in Lough Key Forest Park. It's just like the TV show and you've a team of five. Great craic.

• Advertisement

Ha that's about 20 mins from where I live :D

Over Murder, She Wrote?!

It's OK, I assume it just slipped your mind
    khalessi wrote: »
    Magnum PI surely :D
    It's obviously Battlestar Galactica.
    Trigger wrote: »

Ah.... screw it.

Couldn't help myself

Best TV Show EVER tournament is open for sign ups :pac:

Ha ha, not sure who the bigger glutton for punishment is here Necro, you or us!

If you like crystal maze you should go to Boss Borg centre in Lough Key Forest Park. It's just like the TV show and you've a team of five. Great craic.

For Dubs and close, Go Quest is similar too.

There's one a junction from ikea, I've been twice and it's brilliant. I know there's a newer one in Carrickmines, not been but I'd guess newer might mean better...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

The best war movie of all time on right now on rte2

Where eagles dare :)

Rikand wrote: »

One of the first home videos we bought when i was a kid

Rikand wrote: »