Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Spots to Practise Drone Flying

• 19-09-2019 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I'm trying to find an open space to practice flying a drone, that won't bother anyone.

Much of the city and surrounding areas are controlled air space, due to Shannon Airport, Connagh Airfield and Limerick Prison. Image attached with those areas.

I've tried to go to UL, however security have requested permits to fly. As a result I haven't been able to use UL grounds, which is fair enough.

A disused car park would be ideal, but any open space that is,
    1. Outside the controlled air space.
    2. Within a 15 minute drive of the city.
    3. Where I won't be disturbing people.
    4. Relatively low tree density.

I was thinking something along the lines of the back of Gillogue Industrial Complex, however I haven't asked any of the local businesses what the story is out there.

Any advice would be appreciated, cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Could you try playing fields like a GAA or Rugby grounds or just a farmers field?

There is/was a place out by Shannon that people used to meet up to fly model airplanes, you could try there.

If you push your 15 min drive to 30 mins you could go to Curraghchase, use the "lawn" in front of the old house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Am surprised you need a permit in UL. Have you tried down in the north campus on the all weather pitches when there's no activities, perhaps in the evening time or early on weekends?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

How about over the bog around Newport, Lisnagry and the M7.
    Dropped pin
    Near Unnamed Road, Annaholty, Co. Tipperary
    https://goo.gl/maps/h5A88X58FZeNTs9T7

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Crescent shopping Centre when it closes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Anywhere in Castleconnell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Am surprised you need a permit in UL. Have you tried down in the north campus on the all weather pitches when there's no activities, perhaps in the evening time or early on weekends?

Probably just an excuse used by security to get you to leave. Work in security myself and we're told that no drones are to be flown over our site and even people that are flying them close by are closely monitored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Chance asking the lads who run the GAA in Westbury? Fine huge pitch and if you stay inside the pitch perimeter there's f all for you to do damage to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

What do the colours on the map indicate? I take it orange = off limits?

Advertisement