Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine shuttering after NCT..

Options
  • 19-09-2019 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

Long time lurker but here's my first post after failing to find something similar online.

Put my 1.6 2008 Opel Vectra through the NCT last Friday, everything was fine bar my front spring (drivers side) was ''Damaged/Broken''. I Had the exact same problem on my last car and so had a co-worker so we're putting it down to the terrible country roads we drive to get to work (and our speed as we're always late).

So I wasn't surprised, easy fix and with a quick retest (current pending) then I'm good for a year. However, I drove out of the NCT centre and home, without noticing anything. Then the next day I noticed my car is shuttering around 1 to 1-5k revs for a split second on each gear. I dunno is this just terrible timing that something has gone wrong with my car or was it a fault caused by the NCT.

I've no proof it happened in the NCT but I've never had a problem with this car, it's a brilliant machine. I'm not looking for compensation or to even write a complaint but is it possible for such a problem to happen through the NCT? Or maybe it's a complete coincidence. Either way it's annoying thinking about the potential addition cost involved.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If your car left the NCT damaged it was faulty before hand. They just made it more obvious or accelerated it. They don't do anything bar rev the engine and check suspension and brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭lemonkey

Del2005 wrote: »
    If your car left the NCT damaged it was faulty before hand. They just made it more obvious or accelerated it. They don't do anything bar rev the engine and check suspension and brakes.

The thing is, the engine was flawless from the day I got the car. Fine power for a 1.6 and a lovely car to drive, mind.

I understand that they don't put it through hell while testing it but it just seems like too much for a coincidence. I guess I'll never be able to find out.

Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'd say its just a coincidence. Stuttering could be caused by any number of things from the fuel pump/filter to fouled spark plugs or a dodgy coil pack...if it doesn't trigger the check engine light then it'd be difficult to diagnose.

I'd say its just a coincidence. Stuttering could be caused by any number of things from the fuel pump/filter to fouled spark plugs or a dodgy coil pack...if it doesn't trigger the check engine light then it'd be difficult to diagnose.

Coincidence it is then. I'll know more once my Mechanic is back from holidays.

Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hopefully it's nothing too serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

If something happened at nct it was gonna happen anyway. They just might have made it happen slightly quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Most likely plugs or a coil pack. Both cheap fixes.

Thanks for the replies, lads.

Advertisement