Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NI freeview channels gone?…

• 19-09-2019 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi, I retuned my tv after the 4th September and all the uk freeview stations were there but they have now disappeared again this week, I’ve tried retuning a few times but makes no difference. I have a very recent (2 months)new aerial and masthead amp.. I’m receiving all the saorviews no bother.. I live near Drogheda so aim towards clermont cairn.. Anyone any idea why I have lost all these freeview channels again?..from divis?… and how to get them back.. thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Geedoh

Current High Pressure is the probable cause. It's never recommended to retune when the channels drop during good weather. Leave it until the weather changes next Sunday or Monday and retune and they should return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭ocj

Mine's been the same for a week or more now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,526 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

ocj wrote: »
    Mine's been the same for a week or more now.

OP could be in an area with more marginal coverage than you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭bulbs2010

coylemj wrote: »
    OP could be in an area with more marginal coverage than you.

Yes mine is gone for the last week in mullingar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

bulbs2010 wrote: »
    Yes mine is gone for the last week in mullingar

If your Freeview is coming from Brougher, then it's more than likely interference from Kilduff Saorview is killing chs. 31 & 37.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,389 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Switched on the telly this morning for the rugby only to discover that I've lost the Freeview HD channels. All the SD channels are there though. Strange thing is that Im still getting them through a Freeview HD box but not directly to the TV. There are 2 aerials on the roof, one of them was put up a few years back for Saorview but I have no idea which signal is being picked up by the individual aerials.

Im getting the Freeview Lite from the Strabane transmitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

muffler wrote: »
    Switched on the telly this morning for the rugby only to discover that I've lost the Freeview HD channels. All the SD channels are there though. Strange thing is that Im still getting them through a Freeview HD box but not directly to the TV. There are 2 aerials on the roof, one of them was put up a few years back for Saorview but I have no idea which signal is being picked up by the individual aerials.

Freeview Lite and Strabane means relay and low power. So even slightest change may mean no signal message when before you were getting a good picture. That's part of the problem with digital. Not sure exactly where you are but is Limavady transmitter out of the question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

Freeview Lite and Strabane means relay and low power.

It mightn't be the most powerful (400 Watts), but the tx aerial is on top of a 1000 ft. mast, so not the typical relay.

Not sure exactly where you are but is Limavady transmitter out of the question?
    Im in the Ballybofey area and while some elevated areas to the south of the town and beyond can pick up the signal from Limavady its impossible to get it in my locality.

It mightn't be the most powerful (400 Watts), but the tx aerial is on top of a 1000 ft. mast, so not the typical relay.
    Tallest mast in Ireland I've been told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Rick_

It's Ireland's biggest lingerie section TV mast, I understand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Tallest mast in Ireland I've been told.

305.5 metres tall, or 1002 feet in old money. The site is known locally as Koram Hill.

Originally brought into service to extend 405 line Ulster Television broadcasts to Western NI on the old VHF Band III Channel B8 vertical on 18th February 1963.

UHF broadcasts began on 15th July 1977, E39 (BBC1), E45 (BBC2) & E49 (UTV). Channel 4 was added on E42 in November 1983. All frequencies vertically polarised. RBL source was Limavady.

The 405 line UTV transmissions stopped in around July 1983, I think. Definitely was before the last 405 line transmitters in the UK were closed down in January 1985.

DAB transmissions started on 5th September 2001 with the Score Digital NI ensemble on 12D, now Bauer NI. The BBC and D1 ensembles on 12B and 11D were added latter on 29th May 2008 and 26th July 2013 respectively.

DSO was on 10th & 23rd October 2012, with three PSB multiplexes on E39, E42 & E45. A few months later, its RBL source was changed from Limavady to Brougher Mountain.

At the 700MHz clearance last month, the three PSB multiplexes were changed to E32, E34 & E35. The RBL source is scheduled again to change from Brougher Mountain to L/Derry. Also the NI multiplex carrying RTÉ1, RTÉ2 & TG4 commenced on E40 on the same day.

In its 405 line days it had a vision ERP of 100kW directional, with a somewhat figure 8 coverage area. UHF transmissions are also directional, with the highest gain directed to the south, but limited to a maximum 2kW vision ERP in analogue. DTT ERP is a maximum of 400W ERP which at the first DSO approximated the same analogue coverage area - nowadays might be more interference limited. NI Mux is only 20W ERP, but the parameters of the multiplex means it should have roughly the same coverage as the other three except for interference limitations (especially near the Castlederg & Plumbridge relays).

Strabane also feeds a number of relay stations itself, the furthest flung being Gortnalee, which lies between Belleek & Garrison in west Co. Fermanagh. Others include Castlederg, Plumbridge, Glenelly Valley (near the hamlet of Cranagh) all in Co. Tyrone, and Muldonagh & Claudy in Co. Derry.

The furthest reported reception of UHF television from the Strabane station that I've heard of has been in Co. Leitrim, mentioned several years ago by a poster on here. Given the location of the Gortnalee relay and its distance to Co. Leitrim, I've no reason to doubt it.

That's enough showing off. Possible corrections later.

Just a wee update. I scanned again last night and all HD channels are back again. Strange how they disappeared and came back again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Com 7 (C51) now coming through on one of my 2 TV sets. Have lost Com 8 (C60) completely from both TVs. No sign of even any signal coming through.

Advertisement