Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jules5417

Caliphate is brilliant. Tense nail biting stuff. binged watched it. Dont worry about the dubbed english you will get used to it. Best series I have ever watched

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

jules5417 wrote: »
    Caliphate is brilliant. Tense nail biting stuff. binged watched it. Dont worry about the dubbed english you will get used to it. Best series I have ever watched

You’re the second poster on here singing it’s praises. I watched it but there were so many holes/anomalies to be unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

What has happened to the “buh dhum” sound that used to play when u login to Netflix. I loved that sound. It’s not playing anymore.

Mine still doing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

peteeeed wrote: »
    Coming in June

Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown (12 Seasons) – Chef Anthony Bourdain travels the world, diving into political issues and most importantly the food.

That's all I need for June from Netflix. What an amazing man

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I’m a few episodes into the new dynasty....ah it’s brilliant. It’s an actual satire at this stage, the piss taking in it is hilarious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    That's all I need for June from Netflix. What an amazing man

Delighted to see that will be added, could watch him all day!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

What has happened to the “buh dhum” sound that used to play when u login to Netflix. I loved that sound. It’s not playing anymore.

The what? Not sure I ever remember this.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,871 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Earthhorse wrote: »
    The what? Not sure I ever remember this.
    Whaaaaaa..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Okay. I see. I would describe that more as a click sound followed by a whuuuuuuuum. Not a "buh dhum" sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

jules5417 wrote: »

I'm amazed that people watch with dubs, you people are crazy, just use the subtitles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

darced wrote: »
    I'm amazed that people watch with dubs, you people are crazy, just use the subtitles.

Subtitles divide families. My mother can't abide them. Apparently, Spain and Portugal also differ sharply about their merits versus dubbing.

As previously recommended here, The Vietnam War is excellent, full of new details for me. There are pithy quotes from the vets and civilians on both sides, a horrible mess well told. What strikes me is how lacking in rage the Vietnamese participants were; they seemed to look back with sorrow more than anger, something many nations could learn from.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Finished "Reckoning"... enjoyed it, just a one season jobbie.
    Finished "Unbelievable " really liked it..based on true story.
    On "Seven Seconds" now, dialogue in first few episodes was tough to grasp..gets better though, a decent watch, half time and looking forward to second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Betaal ( Indian )
    Hired to displace tribal villagers to make way for a new highway, officials unearth an old curse and an army of British soldier-zombies.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

peteeeed wrote: »
    Betaal ( Indian )
    Hired to displace tribal villagers to make way for a new highway, officials unearth an old curse and an army of British soldier-zombies.

Added

Has decent review scores. Might be a stretch to convince the missus though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,921 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Wedding crashers still funny 15 years on, I had no idea that was Bradley Cooper as Sack.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 23,851 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

same as

I got through less than 5 mins of money heist dubbed, for me it's just
    not watchable

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

Sadly had to finish The Last Dance this morning
    Couldn’t put it off any longer

Got way too emotional :D
    That team was a huge part of my early teens so in a way it’s the second time it’s ended for me :(

Now I’m off to play NBA jam
    Boomshackalacka

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I really agree. Dubs are just awful 90% of the time and suck all drama, tone and impact out of any given scene.

Certain types of shows I mind much less - say, action or slasher horror - but they're terrible for drama/thriller type productions.

With subtitles, the same scene can go from being a heavy, harrowing or otherwise impactful scene to sounding like a moment in a Sunday morning cartoon.

Some are better than others. The dubs for 'The Rain' on Netflix are not awful, but those for 'Dark' are just horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I have Netflix since day one in Ireland and i only found out last year you could turn on dubbing :o ,i always watched with subtitles never even dawned on me that there was a dubs option!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

I have Netflix since day one in Ireland and i only found out last year you could turn on dubbing :o ,i always watched with subtitles never even dawned on me that there was a dubs option!
    I'm the opposite: I watched a movie yesterday that has English subtitles, and an English dub, but doesn't have the original dialogue. Bloody annoying, that. The translation on the dub is better than on the subtitles, though, so that's something. (The 36 Chambers of Shaolin, if you're curious.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,654 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Finally finished Schitts creek.
    I took my time with the last series.....I just loved it warm, funny and sweet.
    Will really miss it but loved the ending. The last two episodes did a great job I thought.
    Oh and
    didn't see that twist for Twyla coming!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

If you have the means to watch US Netflix I highly recommend the 6 part mini series called Waco, paints a very different picture of what happened in the 1993 Waco Siege. Taylor Kitsch is fantastic as David Koresh and Michael Shannon as chief FBI negotiator Gary Noesner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

gmisk wrote: »
    Finally finished Schitts creek.
    I took my time with the last series.....I just loved it warm, funny and sweet.
    Will really miss it but loved the ending. The last two episodes did a great job I thought.
    Oh and
    didn't see that twist for Twyla coming!!

Oh it was a great ending in fairness and not rushed !! Moira's outfit at end was just perfect !!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If you have the means to watch US Netflix I highly recommend the 6 part mini series called Waco, paints a very different picture of what happened in the 1993 Waco Siege. Taylor Kitsch is fantastic as David Koresh and Michael Shannon as chief FBI negotiator Gary Noesner.

Its pretty good,I watched it when it was released.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Watched Adult Life Skills last night, lovely little British film about grief and mourning but with that classic whimsical touch that they do so well.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Watched Adult Life Skills last night, lovely little British film about grief and mourning but with that classic whimsical touch that they do so well.

I love this one too. Jodie Whittaker is very underrated, in my opinion. Can't wait for her to be done with Who and get back to doing other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,654 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I watched a little doc tonight called "circus of books" - I just knew it was something to do with a gay bookshop in LA. Best to go in and watch it blind.
    I have to say i found it quite emotional a lovely personal story.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

gmisk wrote: »
    I watched a little doc tonight called "circus of books" - I just knew it was something to do with a gay bookshop in LA. Best to go in and watch it blind.
    I have to say i found it quite emotional a lovely personal story.

I agree. Great to see that behind the headline there was just a normal family.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »
    Sadly had to finish The Last Dance this morning
    Couldn’t put it off any longer

Got way too emotional :D
    That team was a huge part of my early teens so in a way it’s the second time it’s ended for me :(

Now I’m off to play NBA jam
    Boomshackalacka

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Just finished Cailphate, one of the best shows I've watched in a while. Its about Islamic radicalisation in Sweden, highly recommend it if you don't mind subtitles.

Advertisement