Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

Fysh wrote: »
    Thanks for replying, it's interesting to read someone else's take on the film :)
    I didn't catch the mismatch of the orange juice on the toast, but I do know what you mean. Like with people's drinks magically refilling during a conversation around a table, it's a sign that not enough care was put into checking the dailies. The guys dancing through the crowd I took as being intentionally a bit ridiculous, playing up the idea that the guys being back together again is making them remember and feel like their younger selves.

I really liked the use of the same actors to play their younger selves - if anything I prefer that than de-aging via CGI because the physical movement of older actors doesn't always work (e.g. Samuel L Jackson in Captain Marvel is mostly ok, but then the scenes where he's running just look bad), and it also meant we didn't have to have a tedious "sound off, Bloods" type sequence so that we'd know who's who.

The shots referencing Platoon and Apocalypse Now (and probably several other Vietnam movies I've not seen) all felt deliberate to me, as did the history from the guide - because part of the film's theme is the legacy of the Vietnam war, which has to include how it was presented in popular culture. It's not subtle, but then a lot of things relating to the Vietnam war in American culture are not subtle, and given Lee's mixing of archive footage and photos in the film at other points, I thought it worked. But, if it didn't work for you, I can see how the effect is lost or at least diminished.

Yes and the problem is I was sitting down very excited to see a Vietnam movie, as they were always my favourite. I'm not sure any period of war was captured so well by filmmakers in the 80's and 90's. But then it suddenly I felt like I was watching a first time director.
    I can buy into the concept of the older actors in the flashbacks, although I still remember that first running scene and it didn't feel like it was directed well at all. Although maybe I should of stuck with it longer and would have 'got' that stylistic choice better.

On the editorial side of things, I felt like its more of a skill to show and dramatise the stuff that was not so subtly delivered. The filmmakers skill lies in that I believe, we don't need someone to tell us like a narrator what happened in vietnam. Barnes burning down a village with Elias going nuts about it, now this is how you deliver a message about the horrors of that effectively in my opinion. Maybe Lee was trying to over simplify on purpose. I just don't feel any thought and filmmaking skill was put into it at all though and again I got the 'rushed' feeling. But lets be realistic, it probably was rushed to release. I would not blame Lee at all for wanting to get this out asap given the current state of the United States.

I haven't liked the last few Spike Lee movies, but gonna watch Clockers again tonight which I must have seen half a dozen times as a kid and see what I think of Spike tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Sam Hain wrote: »
    For anybody who rated and enjoyed Unbelieveable, you should really watch Reckoning, you'll love it. It too, has some terrible acting and a storyline as weak and palatable as a stale pink wafer submerged in urine.

I really enjoyed Unbelievable.

Would you really classify it as having terrible acting and a weak storyline?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

den87 wrote: »
    Haven’t seen one episode of this but I watched that trailer and it definitely looks like one I should check out.

I recently watched the first two seasons, very enjoyable show. Really looking forward to third season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Buttros wrote: »
    Borgen coming June 15th.

Looking forward to that. Dont think I ever watched season three previously. Will start from the start

Heard very good things, but the huge downside its got the dude who played Euron Greyjoy and he was one of the major reasons the show became unwatchable for last few seasons. :mad:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Heard very good things, but the huge downside its got the dude who played Euron Greyjoy and he was one of the major reasons the show became unwatchable for last few seasons. :mad:

His storyline is actually really good and then I don't think he's in it much for the last series, if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

His storyline is actually really good and then I don't think he's in it much for the last series, if I remember correctly.

Ok.

To be fair with GOT, their was an argument made he had such rotten dialogue and was such a poorly written character he probably felt he had to go absurdly over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

He's actually brilliant in Borgen. Yeah I think it was more terrible writing and scripting on GOTs part. He seemed to be playing the role exactly how they wanted. Not his fault the character was ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Rectify is a watchable series. There are some wobbly moments in the dialogue and I find the musical score a little intrusive at times but the story and acting hold it up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Rectify is a watchable series. There are some wobbly moments in the dialogue and I find the musical score a little intrusive at times but the story and acting hold it up.

yep it's very good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Really enjoyed this. Starts off pretty good, and gets better as the seasons go on. It's one of those I plan to watch all over again.

"A convict who spent 19 years on death row is released and must reindoctrinate himself into society and reacquaint himself with his family in a small Georgia town. His efforts to make a new life won't be easy, as the politician who was instrumental in putting him behind bars makes it his business to see that he gets sent back to jail."

It's a slow-burner, but it's one that feels real. The inevitable "did he or didn't he?" is skillfully almost an incidental to the story (though it's always there).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Korean stuff gets a lot of mentions here, but don't think the 2 Along With The Gods films have gotten a shout. Anyone watched them? They're meant to be great no? Big budget action fantasy films.

Watching at the moment. Cant actually describe what im watching but its keeping me interested...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Hereditary
    After the death of her mother, artist Annie and her family uncover their terrifying legacy and grapple with malevolent forces beyond their control.

The Karate Kid(1984)

Shameless(8 seasons)

The Show Must Go On: The Queen + Adam Lambert Story
    With rare footage and candid interviews, this documentary details the serendipitous pairing of legendary rock band Queen and powerhouse Adam Lambert

Roll Red Roll
    This compelling documentary follows the 2012 Steubenville, Ohio rape case, putting social media and high school football culture in the spotlight.

Angel's Last Mission: Love season 1(Korean)
    As a punishment for meddling in human affairs, an angel faces the impossible task of finding a soulmate for a cold-hearted ballerina.

Lovely Horribly season 1(Korean)
    Strange events haunt a charmed actor and an unlucky writer, who unknowingly share one fate, when they begin working on a TV drama together.

My Fellow Citizens season 1(Korean)
    A talented swindler who's married to a detective ups his con game to the next level when he runs for political office -- and fools an entire nation

The Tale of Nokdu
    While on the run for his life, a young man discovers that the best place to lie low is in a village of widows -- disguised as a woman.

Wira
    Share: WhatsAppTelegram After a long stint in the army, an ex-lieutenant returns home and enters an underground MMA match to take on a local mobster and protect his family.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Is Shameless the UK version? Please tell me it is.

Was watching Peep Show yesterday. Bit worried that it would be pulled due to a specific blackface scene. It would be absolutely ridiculous if it did but who knows these days.

Watched a Will Ferrell and Kevin Hart movie over the weekend.Get Hard Basic premise is Posh boy, gets sentenced to prison but has 30 days to get affairs in order. Gets a guy to train him on how to survive prison because mistakenly thought he had been.. It wasn't as good as Ferrels other movies but still watchable and entertaining. It seems 5 years ago had a lot of films had Posh boy/Prison theme.

joeguevara wrote: »

Was watching Peep Show yesterday. Bit worried that it would be pulled due to a specific blackface scene. It would be absolutely ridiculous if it did but who knows these days.

Watched a Will Ferrell and Kevin Hart movie over the weekend.Get Hard Basic premise is Posh boy, gets sentenced to prison but has 30 days to get affairs in order. Gets a guy to train him on how to survive prison because mistakenly thought he had been.. It wasn't as good as Ferrels other movies but still watchable and entertaining. It seems 5 years ago had a lot of films had Posh boy/Prison theme.

it is the original english series

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

joeguevara wrote: »

Both versions of Shameless are on Netflix. 8 Seasons of each.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Sounds good but I can’t spot it on Netflix is it on the Irish version?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A Taxi Driver: One last non-Netflix (sorry!) Korean film recommendation, but it is (huzzah!) available for free on Channel 4's VOD service for another few days https://www.channel4.com/programmes/a-taxi-driver

There are plenty of reasons why I shouldn't have liked this as much as I did: it's melodramatic, predictable and goes a bit off the rails for a big action-packed climax. BUT I really, really liked it despite all that! Basically it follows a taxi driver (the always magnificent Song Kang-ho, who is one of the few working actors worth watching in pretty much anything) who is hired by a German journalist to bring him to the city of Gwangju during a mass uprising in 1980. Said uprising is one of the more raw moments in Korea's modern history and a key moment on the path towards full democracy, and it's portrayed with deserving gravitas here.

Jang Hoon's film is impressively light on its feet - able to transition carefully and convincingly from witty verbal sparring to sobering portrayals of atrocities. It is always driven by its characters, and doesn't or ignore the experiences of the ordinary Gwangju people and the importance of risk-taking journalism. For such heavy subject matter, though, it's an easy watch with no shortage of humour and powerful emotional beats.

As said, it's not perfect, and like many historical dramas its efforts to bookend the heavily fictionalised film with overt, 'modern day' references to its real-world inspirations are clunky. But it's a hugely entertaining film for the most part, and an invaluable insight into a pivotal moment of recent Korean history that I wasn't all that aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

Anyone know when the new Dave Chapelle special will be up?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

tigger123 wrote: »
    Anyone know when the new Dave Chapelle special will be up?

It's on You Tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Started watching The Politician a few days ago and it's oddly addictive. It's about the race to be school president in this fairly wealthy area of America. Fiction I should add. It's utterly bonkers and I hated the lead character immediately and yet I can't stop watching it. Season 2 drops on Friday and I'm looking forward to it - somebody help me?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Was Borgen due to be added today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Buttros

yabadabado wrote: »
    Was Borgen due to be added today ?

Yes it was. Seems to have gone from coming soon list on the android app. Quick search gives me this so just confused now.

Coming to Netflix on June 15thBorgen (Seasons 1-3) – Note this is no longer showing on Netflix’s lists so may not happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Hereditary... One messed up movie lol,the mother plays a great part imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭acequion

I've just finished season one of Ozark and really enjoyed it.

Would really recommend it to anyone who liked Breaking Bad. It's pretty much the same idea, normal relatable people like ourselves breaking bad. Great setting,great characters, great acting, great story lines.

Hope season two is as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

acequion wrote: »
    I've just finished season one of Ozark and really enjoyed it.

Would really recommend it to anyone who liked Breaking Bad. It's pretty much the same idea, normal relatable people like ourselves breaking bad. Great setting,great characters, great acting, great story lines.

Hope season two is as good.

You are in for a treat with seasons 2 and 3 - very much like Breaking Bad each season is a slow burning journey to a dramatic finale

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭acequion

You are in for a treat with seasons 2 and 3 - very much like Breaking Bad each season is a slow burning journey to a dramatic finale

Oh that's great thanks for letting me know.:)

Just about to put the feet up and binge a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Just clicked the coming soon tab and I see season 3 of Sinner is back this Friday.

Ratings are very poor though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Just watch Roll Red Roll about the Steubenville Ohio college rape case.

Disturbing but compelling watch...it's a long time since watching something made me so angry and disgusted.
    It's inserting that some people think what they did to that girl can be excused in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Buttros wrote: »
    Yes it was. Seems to have gone from coming soon list on the android app. Quick search gives me this so just confused now.

Coming to Netflix on June 15thBorgen (Seasons 1-3) – Note this is no longer showing on Netflix’s lists so may not happen.

Coming June 22th. I read it on some twitter page yesterday

• Advertisement

Cruel Peter (italian)
    A teen tapping into the supernatural to connect with her late mother becomes possessed when she accidentally resurrects the soul of a sadistic bully

Rogue Warfare: The Hunt
    When their leader is captured by an extremist organization, a special forces team stages a perilous rescue mission as time runs out

added

Advertisement