Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Hereditary is really good. It’s a very original modern day horror. Performance from all is great especially Toni Collette. Highly recommended. I need to watch midsommar now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Finished 'the woods' ,polish TV drama , a good watch,well made,I'd recommend for crime/whodunnit fans.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hereditary is really good. It’s a very original modern day horror. Performance from all is great especially Toni Collette. Highly recommended. I need to watch midsommar now.

Midsommar is on amazon Prime if you have it (possibly only UK catalog though, not sure).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Midsommar is on amazon Prime if you have it (possibly only UK catalog though, not sure).

It's on Irish prime as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

I got around to watching Priest recently. It's adapted from a Korean comic book, so I guess it's an aside from the conversation about Korean movies above. It's a 'vampire' movie, in a fairly loose sense, set in the aftermath of a war that left the creatures locked in reservations, and most people stuck in theocratic walled cities. Paul Bettany plays a superpowered vampire-killer whose niece is kidnapped. The hierarchy dismiss the matter, and he goes rogue to save her. There's plenty to turn your nose up at, especially cliche plot and dialogue, bizarre abuse of Christian symbolism, old-hat CGI creatures, and a tendency to telegraph its dramatic conflicts very heavy-handedly. On the plus side, it frequently looks great, in shot composition, prop and costume design; the cast are all game, if you can stomach Cam Gigandet, with Bettany joined by genre stars Karl Urban and Maggie Q. You can see influences from Blade Runner (in the cities) and Mad Max (outside of them), and while it's not a tap on those movies, it's a well paced 90 minute action movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

I enjoyed Dating Around season 2. Episode 2 with Ben is one of the all time cringe TV moments, beware!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Finished 'the woods' ,polish TV drama , a good watch,well made,I'd recommend for crime/whodunnit fans.

This is next on my list, same guy as the stranger isn’t it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

mikhail wrote: »
    I got around to watching Priest recently. It's adapted from a Korean comic book, so I guess it's an aside from the conversation about Korean movies above. It's a 'vampire' movie, in a fairly loose sense, set in the aftermath of a war that left the creatures locked in reservations, and most people stuck in theocratic walled cities. Paul Bettany plays a superpowered vampire-killer whose niece is kidnapped. The hierarchy dismiss the matter, and he goes rogue to save her. There's plenty to turn your nose up at, especially cliche plot and dialogue, bizarre abuse of Christian symbolism, old-hat CGI creatures, and a tendency to telegraph its dramatic conflicts very heavy-handedly. On the plus side, it frequently looks great, in shot composition, prop and costume design; the cast are all game, if you can stomach Cam Gigandet, with Bettany joined by genre stars Karl Urban and Maggie Q. You can see influences from Blade Runner (in the cities) and Mad Max (outside of them), and while it's not a tap on those movies, it's a well paced 90 minute action movie.

It should have been bigger then Star Wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Hrududu wrote: »
    Sounds good but I can’t spot it on Netflix is it on the Irish version?

Maybe not. I’m viewing the Canadian version. Sorry, I should check before posting in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Just watch Roll Red Roll about the Steubenville Ohio college rape case.

Disturbing but compelling watch...it's a long time since watching something made me so angry and disgusted.
    It's inserting that some people think what they did to that girl can be excused in any way.

Just watched it last night and crazy stuff altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

People Just Do Nothing season 5
    Spinning old-school beats is just another day at the office for the naive DJs of a pirate radio station who juggle family life with their passion.

Riding Faith
    Following her father's death, a young woman struggles to help her mother keep the family ranch afloat while preserving a special bond with her horse.

Traitors season 1
    As World War II ends, a young English woman agrees to help an enigmatic American agent root out Russian infiltration of the British government.

Mr. Iglesias season 2
    Hilarious high school teacher Gabriel Iglesias tries to make a difference in the lives of some smart but underperforming students at his alma mater.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 43,869 ✭✭✭✭Basq

peteeeed wrote: »
    Riding Faith
    Following her father's death, a young woman struggles to help her mother keep the family ranch afloat while preserving a special bond with her horse.

added
    Promising title, and then hopes dashed given the synopsis! :D

It should have been bigger then Star Wars.
    Fan of the comics?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I watched 2036 Origin Unknown and enjoyed it. It seems to have poor reviews but I love Katee Sackhoff (who wouldn't if you had watched BSG). I love a good sci fi movie so maybe that is it.

dubstepper wrote: »
    I watched 2036 Origin Unknown and enjoyed it. It seems to have poor reviews but I love Katee Sackhoff (who wouldn't if you had watched BSG). I love a good sci fi movie so maybe that is it.
    It's derivative, and close to a stage play with a few colourful CGI scenes tacked on I'm pretty sure you could stage it with minimal effort. It's probably a bit better than its reviews, but the criticism is mostly merited.

mikhail wrote: »
    It's derivative, and close to a stage play with a few colourful CGI scenes tacked on I'm pretty sure you could stage it with minimal effort. .

I would say that the stage play element is one of things I liked about it.

The Order: Season 2
    Netflix’s horror series returns to follow college freshman Jack Morton, who joins the titular fabled secret society, where he is thrust into a world of magic, monsters and intrigue. As Jack goes deeper, he uncovers dark family secrets and an underground battle between werewolves and the magical dark arts.

Rick & Morty: Season 4, Part 1

A Whisker Away (Anime)
    A peculiar girl transforms into a cat to catch her crush's attention. But before she realizes it, the line between human and animal starts to blur

added

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Masala

Sorry Guys.... are all the recommendations given in above threads available in the Irish Netflix?? I went looking for 'A Taxi Driver' and when I entered Taxi in the search... I got 'others like A Taxi Driver' but no link to the actual movie itself!!! Am I missing something like it only on the USA Netflix or something!!!!

... a major Newbie here as a result of Covid19 lock down!! So apologies - i am of product of the 60's so am only coming to terms with technology..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,026 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just had a quick look on my phone here and was able to find a film called Taxi Driver.
    But the list is taken from a site that gives UK listings, I believe. UK listings are mostly similar to Irish with only a few exceptions,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,049 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Masala wrote: »
    Sorry Guys.... are all the recommendations given in above threads available in the Irish Netflix?? I went looking for 'A Taxi Driver' and when I entered Taxi in the search... I got 'others like A Taxi Driver' but no link to the actual movie itself!!! Am I missing something like it only on the USA Netflix or something!!!!

... a major Newbie here as a result of Covid19 lock down!! So apologies - i am of product of the 60's so am only coming to terms with technology..

Just had a look and it's not on mine either.

• Advertisement

I could have sworn I saw it pop up on mine a few days ago. Maybe they just lost it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

"A Taxi Driver" was mentioned here as part of the Korean discussion but was actually on the All4 app. I'm afraid it's not there now though, they only keep things for a few weeks

As an aside, All4 is free and brilliant. Channel 4 shows old and new but also a decent selection of films. They're not generally there long, a few weeks after they've been on Film4 I think, but it's often worth checking out

On the Korean front, it has The Handmaiden for 4 weeks now

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭draoicht

From the original post about A Taxi Driver:
    A Taxi Driver: One last non-Netflix (sorry!) Korean film recommendation, but it is (huzzah!) available for free on Channel 4's VOD service for another few days https://www.channel4.com/programmes/a-taxi-driver

Edit: Electric Nitwit beat me too it

Few reports that netflix is back to full bandwith for HDR 4K

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Adult Life Skills with Jodie Whitaker is pretty good - a really good mix of comedy and drama that manages to land some very funny moments (including several great exchanges between Anna, her mum and her grandmother) and some more poignant moments. Also worth noting the performance by Ozzy Myers as Clint - fantastic performance from a young actor and landed the emotional scenes as much as the comedic scenes really well.

The Sinner: Season 3

Wasp Network
    Olivier Assayas’ latest film, based on a true story, follows Cuban spies who infiltrate exile groups in the 1990s to stop terrorism against the island – but at high personal cost. Penelope Cruz, Edgar Ramirez and Wagner Moura star.

The Politician: Season 2
    Created by Ryan Murphy (Glee, American Horror Story), the show follows Payton Hobart (Ben Platt), a wealthy student from Santa Barbara, California, who has known since age seven that he’s going to be the President of the United States.

Feel the Beat
    After blowing a Broadway audition, a self-centered dancer reluctantly returns home and agrees to coach a squad of young misfits for a big competition

Lost Bullet (french)
    Facing a murder charge, a genius mechanic with a criminal past must track down a missing car containing the proof of his innocence: a single bullet.

Babies
    From nature to nurture, this docuseries explores the groundbreaking science that reveals how infants discover life during their very first year.

Disclosure
    In this documentary, leading trans creatives and thinkers share heartfelt perspectives and analysis about Hollywood's impact on the trans community.

Feel the Beat
    After blowing a Broadway audition, a self-centered dancer reluctantly returns home and agrees to coach a squad of young misfits for a big competition.

Floor Is Lava season 1
    Teams compete to navigate rooms flooded with lava by leaping from chairs, hanging from curtains and swinging from chandeliers. Yes, really.

Girls from Ipanema (Coisa Mais Linda) season 2
    A 1950s housewife goes to Rio de Janeiro to meet up with her husband, only to learn he's deserted her, but decides to stay and open a bossa nova club

Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation

Skyscraper
    When terrorists attack the tallest building in the world, a security consultant will do anything to save his family from the carnage.

The Politician season 2
    Rich kid Payton has always known he's going to be president. But first he has to navigate the most treacherous political landscape of all: high school

added

Stay the hell away from VFW, it is one of the poorest movies I have seen in a long while. Really poor script coupled with an idea that has been done better so many times before. Riddled with cliches. The whole movie was shot really dimly, which may have been due to the age of the protagonists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Start watching Freud on Netflix. Not what I wanted or was expecting. The first episode was interesting enough but don't know enough about Siggy to distinguish fact from fiction. Obviously knew the writers were taking some creative liberties but after reading online, seems it's about Freud in the loosest possible ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,833 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Both versions of Shameless are on Netflix. 8 Seasons of each.

There's 11 seasons of the U.K. Version on Netflix. I haven't seen shameless in years and I used to love it. It was a shock to hear the actor behind frank Gallagher talk though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

dubstepper wrote: »
    Stay the hell away from VFW, it is one of the poorest movies I have seen in a long while. Really poor script coupled with an idea that has been done better so many times before. Riddled with cliches. The whole movie was shot really dimly, which may have been due to the age of the protagonists.

While I disagree with your overall assessment (I quite liked it as a well-executed if somewhat derivative Carpenter homage) I suppose one thing to note with VFW is it starts as it means to continue - if you're not sold on what's being offered by it in the first 5-10 minutes, pull the plug as it doesn't really change gears from that.

Advertisement