Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Only realised last night that Children of Men was added, absolutely flawless movie, could watch it every day for a week and not get tired of it.

Hadn’t seen it since release and watched it there, excellent movie, thanks for reminding me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Coming in July

N = Netflix Original

July Release Dates TBD
    Street Food: Latin America (Season 1) N – Taking to the streets of Latin America to experience some of the most delicious dishes there is to offer.
    The Seven Deadly Sins (Season 4) N – Japanese anime series

July 1st
    #Anne Frank – Parallel Stories (2019) – Narrated by Helen Mirren, five Jewish women who survived the holocaust tell their story of survival, and the horrors they faced at the hands of the Nazis.
    Chico Bon Bon: Monkey with a Tool Belt (Season 1) N – Kids animated series.
    Cleo & Cuquin (Season 1) – Children’s animated series.
    Behind the Candelabra (2013) – HBO Biopic on Liberace and his lover, Scott Thorson.
    Daylight (1996) – Sylvester Stallone’s action about the collapse of a New York tunnel and a man’s attempts at escaping.
    Deadwind (Season 2) N – Finnish crime drama.
    Flipper (1996) – 90s feel-good adventure film starring Elijah Wood and Paul Hogan.
    For a Good Time Call… (2012) – Comedy about two girls living in an apartment decide to make ends meet, and set up a phone sex line.

Jurassic Park Titles including:
    Jurassic Park
    The Lost World: Jurassic Park
    Jurassic Park III
    Jurassic World
    Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

Michael (1996) – John Travolta comedy.
    Mickey Blue Eyes (1999) – Romantic comedy starring Hugh Grant about an auctioneer proposes to the daughter of the head of the mafia.
    midnight in paris netflix uk july 2020

Midnight in Paris (2011) – Academy award-winning comedy-drama from Woody Allen.
    Motherland (Season 1) – BBC comedy series about middle-class motherhood.
    Nativity 3: Dude, Where’s My Donkey? (2014) – Christmas comedy starring Martin Clunes
    Redemption – Thriller about a man newly released from prison.
    Revolutionary Road (2008) – Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet star in this romantic movie set during the 1950s. Directed by Sam Mendes.
    RocknRolla (2008) – Gerard Butler and Idris Elba star in this action thriller set in London.
    Say I Do: Surprise Weddings (Season 1) N – Reality series where people compete to get their dream wedding.
    Session 9 (2001) – Horror by Brad Anderson about a work crew in an abandoned mental hospital.
    Shattered Memories (2018) – Crime thriller, after waking up next to the body of a former lover, a woman must race against time to uncover the real killer.
    Storage 24 (2012) – Horror starring Noel Clarke that famously generated $72 at the US box office.
    Tales from the Crypt Presents: Bordello of Blood (Season 1) – Classic horror-comedy series from Steven Dodd.
    The American President (1995) – Romantic comedy about a widowed President falling in love. Stars Michael Douglas, Annette Bening and Martin Sheen.
    The Courier (2019) – Action thriller starring Olga Kurylenko and Gary Oldman
    The Governor (Season 1) – Nollywood political thriller series.
    the green mile july 2020 netflix uk

The Green Mile (1999) – Extraordinary fantasy crime-drama starring Tom Hanks and the late Michael Clarke Duncan.
    The Lake House (2006) – Keanu Reeves romantic drama about a lonely doctor.
    The Nut Job 2014 – Children’s Animated film about an exiled Squirrel who comes up with incredible heist to provide food for his former colony.
    The Secret Garden (1993) – 90s British classic, based on the book of the same name by author Frances Hodgson Burnett.
    The Truman Show (1998) – Comedy-drama featuring Jim Carrey as the world-famous Truman Burbank, star of a reality series about his life, except Truman doesn’t know the world is watching him 24 hours a day.

Torque (2004) – Action movie about a man returning home with a motorbike filled with crystal meth.
    Under the Riccione Sun (2020) N – Italian romantic-teen drama.
    Unsolved Mysteries (Season 15) N – Reboot of the famous paranormal and mystery docuseries.
    Wolf Creek 2 (2013) – Horror set in the outback.
    Wrecked (2011) – Candian Thriller starring Adrian Brody.
    You, Me and Dupree (2006) – Noughties comedy starring Owen Wilson and Kate Hudson

July 2nd
    Thiago Ventura: POKAS (2020) N – Stand-up comedy special.

Warrior Nun (Season 1) N – Fantasy drama series that revolves around a 19-year-old woman that wakes up within a morgue with a divine artifact embedded on her back. Discovering she now part of an ancient order, she is tasked with protecting the earth from demonic forces.

July 3rd
    Cable Girls (Season 5) N – The fifth and final season of the Spanish period drama series.
    Desperados (2020) N – Romantic comedy which sees a woman taking a spur of the moment vacation to Mexico, and enlisting the help of her friends to remove a damning email from her new boyfriend’s account.
    JU-ON: Origins (Season 1) N – Japanese horror series based on the iconic JU-ON “The Grudge” franchise.

Mission: Impossible – Fallout (2018) – The sixth installment of the Mission: Impossible franchise starring Tom Cruise and Henry Cavill.
    mission impossible fallout netflix uk july 2020

The Baby-Sitters Club (Season 1) N – Comedy-drama series reboot of the 90s HBO television series.
    Unfriended: Dark Web (2018) – American horror film directed by Stephen Susco

July 4th
    Hook (New Episodes Weekly) – Thai drama about the sons of two rival fathers, despite the family grudge, the pair form a friendship as they bond at the boxing gym.

July 5th
    The Underclass (2020) – Thai drama that takes place in a high school where a schoolgirl has recently dropped out of an elite school program and struggles to find her own identity when she gets involved with a high school gang.

July 8th
    Mucho Mucho Amor: The Legend of Walter Mercado (2020) N – Spanish documentary
    Stateless (Season 1) N – The lives of four strangers collide when they meet at an immigration center in the middle of the Australian desert.

July 9th
    Japan Sinks: 2020 (Season 1) N – Japanese anime based on the novel of the same, directed by Masaaki Yuasa.

The Protector (Season 4) N – The final season of the Turkish fantasy series.

July 10th
    Dating Around: Brazil (Season 1) N – Reality dating series which sees six singles go on five blind dates in the city of Sao Paulo.

The Old Guard (2020) N – Superhero drama featuring Charlize Theron as an immortal mercenary, who, along with the other immortals must fight to keep their secret hidden.

July 13th
    Rogue Warfare 3: Death of a Nation (2020) – Third entry from Mike Gunther about a new organization hoping to cause chaos.

July 15th
    Dark Desire (Season 1) N – Mexican Thriller Series
    Hotel Del Luna (Season 1) – K-drama horror set in a hotel for dead souls.

July 16th
    Fatal Affair (2020) N – American drama directed by Peter Sullivan.

July 17th
    Cursed (Season 1) N – New fantasy epic starring Katherine Langford.
    Slender Man (2018) – Horror based on the internet meme/legend.

July 21st
    How to Sell Drugs Online (Fast) (Season 2) N – German comedy series returns.

July 24th
    The Kissing Booth 2 (2020) N – Romantic teen-drama. Noah and Elle’s relationship faces its toughest challenge yet when they have to contend with a long-distance relationship.

July 31st
    The Umbrella Academy (Season 2) N – Netflix subscriber’s favorite superhero family returns for the highly anticipated second season of The Umbrella Academy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Truman Show, finally!

Have been holding off buying it for nearly six months at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

Masked Man wrote: »
    Truman Show, finally!

Have been holding off buying it for nearly six months at this stage.

The highlight of next month no doubt
    One of my fav movies of all time
    And the one where Jim Carrey showed he can act and not just pull really funny faces!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

km79 wrote: »
    The highlight of next month no doubt
    One of my fav movies of all time
    And the one where Jim Carrey showed he can act and not just pull really funny faces!

Was gonna say he did that in "Man on the Moon" but a google search tells me Truman Show was a year earlier. I thought the order was reversed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

I love the Truman show too. Lost count of how many times I’ve watched it. Absolutely brilliant movie.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Speaking of Carrey/Man on the Moon, the documentary Jim & Andy is well worth a look if you haven't watched it yet (Netflix made it I think so it should still be on there).

Not Netflix related but also really enjoyed season 1 of Kidding, the show he did for HBO about an unstable kids TV presenter recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

Still haven't seen Man on the Moon!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,026 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

"Good morning! And in case I don't see you..."

Will be looking to see how Warrior Nun, Cursed and The Old Guard turn out.
    But looking forward to Umbrella Academy

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

CastorTroy wrote: »

The Old Guard looks good from the trailer anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

CastorTroy wrote: »

I sometimes get why Netflix is accused of pandering too much to the younger market; can feel like a LOT Of its content is geared around "Adolescent Discovering he/she has Powers / Destiny". 3 items right there, combined with all the existing shows like The Order, Locke & Key, Ragnarok, October Faction etc. - shovelware whose premise is all basically "Discovering your true self" via supernatural / sci-fi / chosen one analogy. To be fair, Locke & Key was pretty decent, remembering adults occasionally watch these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

For those who haven't seen session 9, I'd highly recommend it.

Haven't seen it in years but will be giving it another watch when it arrives.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I sometimes get why Netflix is accused of pandering too much to the younger market; can feel like a LOT Of its content is geared around "Adolescent Discovering he/she has Powers / Destiny". 3 items right there, combined with all the existing shows like The Order, Locke & Key, Ragnarok, October Faction etc. - shovelware whose premise is all basically "Discovering your true self" via supernatural / sci-fi / chosen one analogy. To be fair, Locke & Key was pretty decent, remembering adults occasionally watch these things.

I'd rather watch the stuff you say is aimed at the younger market, if it's done well, than what they seem to be making for the older audience. Endless true crime and documentaries that are 5 hours too long, drugs and violence, drugs and violence but in Spanish, drugs and violence but in French.
    To be fair though I think we're all a little guilty of expecting too much from Netflix. If BBC or Channel 4 put out 3 or 4 really high quality shows in a year we'd be saying they had a good year. Probably the way people consume Netflix shows means they expect something new and great every week, whereas 3 or 4 shows on BBC, one episode a week, would fill about 6 months.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

No idea about the rest, but Locke & Key was also an adaptation of a pretty good comic series, which probably helped.

There does seem to be a fair bit of YA landfill on Netflix, but that's not really different to book publishing or film & TV generally, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Thought I saw earlier that Borgen was coming to Netflix, no sign yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd rather watch the stuff you say is aimed at the younger market, if it's done well, than what they seem to be making for the older audience. Endless true crime and documentaries that are 5 hours too long, drugs and violence, drugs and violence but in Spanish, drugs and violence but in French.
    To be fair though I think we're all a little guilty of expecting too much from Netflix. If BBC or Channel 4 put out 3 or 4 really high quality shows in a year we'd be saying they had a good year. Probably the way people consume Netflix shows means they expect something new and great every week, whereas 3 or 4 shows on BBC, one episode a week, would fill about 6 months.

No, I don't think that's what I'm saying; it's not that I expect Netflix to be amazing each release. Just that sometimes releases give credence to a demographical bias - that and as you say, the endless documentaries. It sometimes feels like Netflix is more - to use your analogy - BBC3 than BBC1. Its "documentaries" then leaning more towards Channel 4's more salacious output.

I mean, it makes sense in a way: younger demographics are more tech savvy and probably more likely to consume "Content" in the volumes Netflix prefer / expect. Fuddy duddies like myself, who prefer an episode here or there and otherwise averse to binging, are probably not prime customers. Well, that's a point too - "customer" doesn't exist anymore. We're "Consumers"

Glebee wrote: »

I wonder if they'll work Covid into the new series. It's supposed to focus on Nyborg as Foreign Minister but I'm not sure if they've even started production on it yet.

No, I don't think that's what I'm saying; it's not that I expect Netflix to be amazing each release. Just that sometimes releases give credence to a demographical bias - that and as you say, the endless documentaries. It sometimes feels like Netflix is more - to use your analogy - BBC3 than BBC1.

I mean, it makes sense in a way: younger demographics are more tech savvy and probably more likely to consume "Content" in the volumes Netflix prefer / expect. Fuddy duddies like myself, who prefer an episode here or there and otherwise averse to binging, are probably not prime customers. Well, that's a point too - "customer" doesn't exist anymore. We're "Consumers"

I didn't mean to imply that you specifically were holding Netflix to too high a standard :o

I just meant that in general we're far more aware of all the content that's on there, way more so than we would be for TV channels. Something becomes popular and everyone wants their own version of it. I think The Hunger Games, for example, was responsible for a slew of similar but inferior franchises. The difference with Netflix is they're working globally and pulling things from non English speaking countries, multiple production companies, and putting them out within months of each other, and we're all checking on an almost daily basis to see what's new. so we're just more aware of what's on trend.
    They're also clearly pushing this stuff to an almost annoying degree. Every week the top 10 in Ireland is an embarrassment of whatever it was Netflix were pushing the week before. Lots of great content doesn't get the attention it deserves because so many people seem to be happy to watch whatever it is Netflix wants them to watch. But again, it's a sign of the times, everyone wants to be on social media talking about the same thing.

I didn't mean to imply that you specifically were holding Netflix to too high a standard :o

I just meant that in general we're far more aware of all the content that's on there, way more so than we would be for TV channels. Something becomes popular and everyone wants their own version of it. I think The Hunger Games, for example, was responsible for a slew of similar but inferior franchises. The difference with Netflix is they're working globally and pulling things from non English speaking countries, multiple production companies, and putting them out within months of each other, and we're all checking on an almost daily basis to see what's new. so we're just more aware of what's on trend.
    They're also clearly pushing this stuff to an almost annoying degree. Every week the top 10 in Ireland is an embarrassment of whatever it was Netflix were pushing the week before. Lots of great content doesn't get the attention it deserves because so many people seem to be happy to watch whatever it is Netflix wants them to watch. But again, it's a sign of the times, everyone wants to be on social media talking about the same thing.

Looking in from the outside, and compared against a competitor like Amazon one can see differing approaches; Netflix seems content to shove as much Content into their service and hope something sticks for the average viral period. The magic formula ATM apparently a mixture of "Documentaries" and Teenage Angst-Power Fantasies. Amazon, despite possessing more money than God, appears to be content with a smaller, more considered output. You definitely need to hunt for the pearls among the muck on Netflix for sure; and sure who knows, maybe Cursed or Warrior Nun might be good shows (TBH the latter looks like it might be a Buffy'esque bit of summer fun) but there's a bit of a lazy trend cropping up with Netflix's content.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

From day one (or maybe year one after they released a handful of originals) I always felt that Netflix was lacking a brand identity beyond it's novel way of delivering content and I feel like that's got worse and worse as time goes by. There is no way I'd blindly put on a film or show that I stumbled upon by browsing.

• Advertisement

but there's a bit of a lazy trend cropping up with Netflix's content.

There certainly is, and it seems to have gotten worse, or perhaps just more obvious, since they started releasing viewing figures and Top 10s.
    Amazon seem to be where Netflix was a few years ago, in that they're taking a risk with some of their original content, Tales From The Loop being a prime example. Netflix were a bit more diverse with their original content a few years ago but seem happy to stick to what's successful now and try to repeat it ad infinitum

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I watched Da 5 Bloods last night and it was really good if a little too long. Delroy Londo is getting a lot of praise and rightfully so however I really struggle with Clarke Peters's style of acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Glebee wrote: »

bit of a mystery there was supposed to be 15th then 22nd now its disappeared of the schedules

• Registered Users Posts: 5,505 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Anyone watched the Sinner season 3 yet? I am 5 episodes in, it's fairly good so far I think, not as good as the first season but better than the second so far anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,026 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

, maybe Cursed or Warrior Nun might be good shows (TBH the latter looks like it might be a Buffy'esque bit of summer fun) but there's a bit of a lazy trend cropping up with Netflix's content.

I'll usually check out comic adaptations but only if feedback is mostly positive. Checking out Cursed has absolutely nothing to do with Katherine Langford. Nope. Not at all. :pac:

Of course positive feedback isn't always a good sign. Personally, I didn't see what all the fuss about Tiger King was. Was grand for passing the time but afterwards I was thinking I should've got something else off my backlog.

I watched Your Name yesterday and found it really good especially
    when we find out something at the halfway mark

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

If you like Hereditary which I did very much even the wacky ending, you should also watch Sinister starring Ethan Hawke. It’s a horror from maybe 10 years ago but is a true original. Have only watched it once around about 5 years ago but I thought it was great altho now I do forget it’s finer details. I do remember it had me engaged from start to end. I need to watch it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

If you like Hereditary which I did very much even the wacky ending, you should also watch Sinister starring Ethan Hawke. It’s a horror from maybe 10 years ago but is a true original. Have only watched it once around about 5 years ago but I thought it was great altho now I do forget it’s finer details. I do remember it had me engaged from start to end. I need to watch it again.
    I remember enjoying that too. Lovely use of light and shadow at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,644 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

There is a documentary on Netflix called roll red roll about a high school rape...pretty eye opening stuff.
    Not an easy watch by any means but entirely necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Is anybody watching Snowpiercer? I watched the movie and it was average. The concept is beyond ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,644 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

dubstepper wrote: »
    Is anybody watching Snowpiercer? I watched the movie and it was average. The concept is beyond ridiculous.
    The movie was excellent, yeah it's a mad concept but you either buy in to it or you don't, the tv show isnt great though tbh so far but it does look good.

Advertisement