Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Feck it, I thought it was another season of zombie goodness

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Mission: Impossible – Fallout
    The Mission: Impossible franchise jumps to new heights with a gripping, astonishing piece of action cinema.

The Baby-Sitters Club: Season 1
    Based on Ann M. Martin’s best-selling book series, The Baby-Sitters Club is a contemporary series that will follow the friendship and babysitting adventures of five best friends – Kristy Thomas, Mary Anne Spier, Claudia Kishi, Stacey McGill, and Dawn Schafer – in Stoneybrook, Connecticut.

Cable Girls: Season 5, Part 2 – 3rd July
    Blanca Suárez (Lidia), Nadia de Santiago (Marga), Ana Polvorosa (Óscar), Ana Fernández (Carlota), Denisse Peña (Sofía), Concha Velasco (Doña Carmen), Yon González (Francisco), and Nico Romero (Pablo) return for the final five chapters, which see the Spanish fighters and friends reach the end of their story as they began it: together.

Ju-On: Origins
    Netflix is bringing The Grudge into the box set age with a new series based on the classic Japanese horror film.
    l.

Desperados
    After drunkenly sending a cringeworthy email, hopeless romantic Wes heads to Mexico with her best friends to erase the note before her new love reads it.

The Hurt Locker
    Kathryn Bigelow directs this gripping drama following one of the U.S. Army's elite explosive ordnance disposal teams operating in Iraq.

Orphan
    Kate and John Coleman adopt 9-year-old Esther from an orphanage, but it doesn't take long for Kate to see through Esther's angelic façade.

Field of Dreams
    Kevin Costner stars as an Iowa farmer who hears a mysterious voice telling him to turn his cornfield into a baseball diamond

Southern Survival season 1
    The BattlBox crew tests out products designed to help people survive dangerous situations, including explosions, natural disasters and intruders

Unfriended: Dark Web
    A group of twentysomethings are pulled into a lethal online game after logging onto a stolen laptop.

Riaad Moosa: Life Begins
    "Comedy Doctor" Riaad Moosa turns 40, prescribing laughs in this special that covers how spouses argue, accents, negotiating with kids and more.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭p to the e

peteeeed wrote: »
    Field of Dreams
    Kevin Costner stars as an Iowa farmer who hears a mysterious voice telling him to turn his cornfield into a baseball diamond

This is my answer to the other thread "the perfect Saturday afternoon film". Could watch this over and over again. The soundtrack is a regular on my playlist aswell.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

peteeeed wrote: »
    Mission: Impossible – Fallout
    The Mission: Impossible franchise jumps to new heights with a gripping, astonishing piece of action cinema.

Without question the best Hollywood film of the last two years - a blistering, razor-sharp shot of adrenaline. Anyone who missed it in the cinema, this is up there with the likes of The Raid at the top-tier of modern action filmmaking. Still impressive Christopher McQuarrie (and of course Cruise himself as the de facto second director at this stage) went from its decent predecessor to this - major leap in confidence and quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

Without question the best Hollywood film of the last two years - a blistering, razor-sharp shot of adrenaline. Anyone who missed it in the cinema, this is up there with the likes of The Raid at the top-tier of modern action filmmaking. Still impressive Christopher McQuarrie (and of course Cruise himself as the de facto second director at this stage) went from its decent predecessor to this - major leap in confidence and quality.

Will watch this. I think I've missed a few of the recent ones. Must catch up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭billyhead

budgemook wrote: »
    Will watch this. I think I've missed a few of the recent ones. Must catch up.

Do you have to have seen the other movies to watch this and make sense of who's who and what's going on?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It definitely follows up on plot threads from 3 and Rogue Nation in particular if you haven’t seen them. So yeah it’s a definite sequel in that sense. A lot of it is self explanatory on its own terms, but you’ll definitely be wondering who a few characters are if you haven’t seen the earlier ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

I am pretty sure that I have only missed the one before Fallout, Rogue Nation, and of course it's not on Netflix (I think it used to be). Should have watched it when I had the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Without question the best Hollywood film of the last two years - a blistering, razor-sharp shot of adrenaline.

Really enjoyable alright, but why aren't Netflix bringing movies like this to their platform in 4k?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

According to my letterboxd the only action movie from the past 5 years that I also gave 4 and a half stars or more to is Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation :)

Unless you call Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse an action movie....

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    Really enjoyable alright, but why aren't Netflix bringing movies like this to their platform in 4k?

would imagine the film companies want you to buy that on itunes or something similar

Maybe, on Prime Video the only purchase options are SD & HD, so yeah, don't want to cannibalise their BluRay market.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Haven't seen Orphan in years but I remember it being scary stuff.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Is there any "Added Today" or "Added This Week" section on their Menu?

It would be very handy

Yeah, there's a new this week, and coming soon section, on my TV anyway. It's not comprehensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 AaronMic95

Two episodes got to me the most. The Rey Rivera case and the Patrice Endres case. I think the best friend of Rey Rivera and the husband of Patrice Endres were involved in their deaths. Sadly, I think the Alonzo Brooks case was racially motivated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

ShineOn7 wrote: »

It would be very handy

The Netflix UK and Ireland twitter usually posts releases on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

It would be very handy

The app Upflix lists stuff that's added or about to be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,620 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Not sure if mentioned but safe house has been added. It's a solid action thriller set in cape town with Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds.

Justwatch.com is excellent if you are looking to search what's on streaming platforms

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

gmisk wrote: »
    Not sure if mentioned but safe house has been added. It's a solid action thriller set in cape town with Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds.

Justwatch.com is excellent if you are looking to search what's on streaming platforms

Safe House is the definition of solid and I love it. Some really good action.

I have the justwatch app but it's quite slow to update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Watched the first three episodes of Unsolved Mysteries, third one technically is not a mystery but still a very creepy story (and a heads up that's in French)

I like the way the story is told by the people involved, no outside interference, no narration - the viewer can make up their own mind

The first episode, Rey Rivera, is particularly weird - I don't want to spoil it for others but something extraordinary happened there

Luther is officially gone

• Registered Users Posts: 39,828 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So I've watched two and half episodes of unsolved mysteries and Jesus h Christ the second episode the husband needs to be investigated more. He just dumps his wife's ashes on the table like it's a bag of flour. He's an asshole basically.

The first episode the fact the best friend lawyered up to **** is weird. Also, the call that made him leave the house came from his work.

The bit I've watched of the third episode makes you wonder.

Watched the first three episodes of Unsolved Mysteries

I really want to watch this as it's a genre I love. But because it's associated with Netflix I don't trust it

When you do cursory Googlling on any of their documentaries I always discover they're shams

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I really want to watch this as it's a genre I love. But because it's associated with Netflix I don't trust it

When you do cursory Googlling on any of their documentaries I always discover they're shams

I get that. With editing a documentary can always be spun one way or another but this is literally the people involved telling their version of events.

Some of them make accusations, some of them are just bewildered and hurt by what has happened - I didn't get the feeling the show was trying to point me one way or the other, just shared people's beliefs about what befell their loved ones

It's not like a docu-series where the drama needs to amped up to maintain interest because each episode is a mere snapshot of a particular event

Good stuff

Did Netflix produce it or just buy it?

I've more confidence in it if it's the latter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Watched the first three episodes of Unsolved Mysteries, third one technically is not a mystery but still a very creepy story (and a heads up that's in French)

I like the way the story is told by the people involved, no outside interference, no narration - the viewer can make up their own mind

The first episode, Rey Rivera, is particularly weird - I don't want to spoil it for others but something extraordinary happened there

A hologram Robert Stack would definitely improve the show.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Good stuff

Did Netflix produce it or just buy it?

I've more confidence in it if it's the latter

Don't cut your nose off to spite your face, Netflix have produced a lot of great documentaries.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Don't cut your nose off to spite your face, Netflix have produced a lot of great documentaries.

Great entertainment with some? Maybe

Are you watching the truth with Netflix documentaries? Usually no. Their bending of facts is outrageous

From a previous thread I started highlighting this:

Tiger King was utterly batshít crazy and so funny in places. But if you believe more than 20% of it's contents are true or not twisted then you haven't copped onto Netflix's "documentaries" yet

Baskin has refuted every single claim made against her and I'm leaning towards her telling the truth https://bigcatrescue.org/refuting-netflix-tiger-king/

Don't believe Netflix's documentaries are full of shíte? Then you need to Google what they left out of Making A Murderer and how they flat out lied with their Game Changers vegetarian diet documentary.

They're the Daily Mail of documentary makers. Even if they don't "make" them all in house, they always sign up ones that are 80% lies or exaggeration

Take them as light entertainment, but don't go online then ranting about how X or Y is guilty or not. Anyone who knows how to use Google (and their brain) is just laughing at you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

And you could look into numerous high profile non Netflix produced documentaries and find issue with certain editorial decisions.

Advertisement