Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

S.M.B. wrote: »
    And you could look into numerous high profile non Netflix produced documentaries and find issue with certain editorial decisions.

Yes you could. The Staircase is one that springs to mind

But Netflix's track record with them is particularly dodgy. I just don't trust them anymore

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I don't think anyone should be taking any documentary as gospel. Regardless of whether Netflix made it or bought it. I treat any non fiction stuff I watch or read as a starting point to find out more.
    My main gripe with Netflix made documentaries is that their main purpose seems to be to entertain rather than inform.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,002 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I don't think anyone should be taking any documentary as gospel. Regardless of whether Netflix made it or bought it. I treat any non fiction stuff I watch or read as a starting point to find out more.
    My main gripe with Netflix made documentaries is that their main purpose seems to be to entertain rather than inform.

The difference between those and the Ken Burns ones is pretty stark alright.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

The difference between those and the Ken Burns ones is pretty stark alright.

Definitely. Ken Burns ones are pretty densely packed with information but it's done in a very structured way. There's natural stopping points if you need a break, and they're not designed to binge watch for 6 hours. The Netflix ones are structured almost like soaps. They want you to keep watching episode after episode. Which is fine, if that floats your boat, but it wouldn't inspire confidence in me that they're presenting facts and nothing else.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Some great documentaries I've seen produced by Netflix listed below. There not all going to be 100% historically accurate but I don't think you get that from any source really, even reading historians you need to read multiple sources to get a balanced view.

At the end of the day Netflix is about entertainment, and while I've no time for Tiger King or things like that I found all of the below at least interesting and in some cases fascinating. Obviously it depends on your interests and your knowledge of the subject matter as well.

What Happened, Miss Simone?
    Winter on Fire: Ukraine's Fight for Freedom
    Icarus
    ReMastered: The Miami Showband Massacre
    ReMastered: Devil at the Crossroads
    Knock Down the House
    Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story by Martin Scorsese
    The Edge of Democracy
    American Factory
    Ghosts of Sugar Land
    Last Chance U
    Sunderland 'Til I Die
    Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes
    The Alcàsser Murders
    The Devil Next Door
    Pandemic: How to Prevent an Outbreak
    The Pharmacist
    The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

No documentary nor a film based on real events should ever be taken as gospel. I will always do more reading on both films and documentaries which are about a real person or event. You also need to understand that no film can cover everything about an event fully due to time restraints.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

And a great new resource that assists with getting to the bottom of factual inaccuracies is the recent Truth vs Holywood podcast hosted by two of my favourites.

First two movies covered are Goodfellas and The Social Network.

And a great new resource that assists with getting to the bottom of factual inaccuracies is the recent Truth vs Holywood podcast hosted by two of my favourites.

First two movies covered are Goodfellas and The Social Network.

Films are completely different. They're a Director's interpretation of the facts

A documentary should be more responsible and Netflix always puts entertainment before the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

So
    Is it any good ?

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Films are completely different. They're a Director's interpretation of the facts

A documentary should be more responsible and Netflix always puts entertainment before the truth

Always ? You see I think that's not a true. Do Netflix lean towards entertainment over facts ? Yes, but to state as fact that Netflix does what you suggest is wrong. And all streaming services lean towards entertainment but putting it before the truth suggests there's no truth at all.

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    So
    Is it any good ?

Is what good ?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Is what good ?

The Series that has been discussed for nearly two pages
    Unsolved Mysteries

km79 wrote: »
    The Series that has been discussed for nearly two pages
    Unsolved Mysteries

I've now watched three episodes so far yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I watched episode 1 of unsolved mysteries I liked it will definitely watch more.

Warrior nun is very very trashy...odd...escapist nonsense. The constant voiceover is weird, as is some of the acting...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

They should have had the balls to end it the way they initially wanted with Season 1, but they saw the dollar signs and sold out. After Season 3 ended, and the way it ended, I didn't bother going back.

If it ended at season one it would have been fantastic imo.

I lost interest in it from that point on.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,090 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

i just finished season 1 of Kingdom and really glad I don't have to wait a year for season 2. Great series

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Has Luther been dropped

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Watching scarface... What a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

The Truman Show, haven't seen it in over a decade, timeless!

Has Luther been dropped

Yes, since yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LilacNails

joeguevara wrote: »
    Watching scarface... What a film.

Watched it tonight too... Possibly my fav movie of all time now... Unreal acting by Al Pacino.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

luketitz wrote: »
    The Truman Show, haven't seen it in over a decade, timeless!

Just came across this thread which is very good. Does contain spoilers for those who haven't yet had the pleasure.

https://twitter.com/moranmarc13/status/1279489083144880130?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I’m in S3 of Homeland and feel it’s still revealing its Israeli roots. Al Qaeda (and latterly ISIS) was and is a global organization, mainly Sunni, but what I’m seeing here is Lebanon, Palestine and Iran. Where are the Pakistanis, Central Asians, Gulf Arabs, Africans and Europeans?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

LilacNails wrote: »
    Watched it tonight too... Possibly my fav movie of all time now... Unreal acting by Al Pacino.

Over acting you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

30 odd more bollywood movies added today. I understand there is probably some interest in bollywood in Ireland but the amount we get seems excessive.. Maybe due to being connected with UK

• Registered Users Posts: 29,090 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Kingdom (the Korean one) was excellent overall.

I'm really enjoying S2 of Kipo and The Age of Wonderbeasts. S1 was a lot of fun and did a lot of world building but they've really delved into character back story in S2 without losing the pace or any of the fun elements of S1. And the soundtrack is still amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I should really check out the first season.

I should really check out the first season.

Kipo and SheRa are two of my favourite things Netflix have put out over the last few years. I've seen better character arcs and storylines in both of them than I've seen in loads of more "adult" shows.

• Advertisement

Finally started watching One Punch Man. If you've ever watched Anime it's well worth watching. Don't want to say too much because describing it kinda give too much away. Give it an episode or 2, it's excellent.

Advertisement