Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 AaronMic95

Watched the first three episodes of Unsolved Mysteries, third one technically is not a mystery but still a very creepy story (and a heads up that's in French)

I like the way the story is told by the people involved, no outside interference, no narration - the viewer can make up their own mind

The first episode, Rey Rivera, is particularly weird - I don't want to spoil it for others but something extraordinary happened there
    I've read some inputs online about possible similarities with what happened in the movie, "The Game". What do you think about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 AaronMic95

Kipo and SheRa are two of my favourite things Netflix have put out over the last few years. I've seen better character arcs and storylines in both of them than I've seen in loads of more "adult" shows.
    I loved the He-Man and She-Ra series when I was younger. I want to check out the new She-Ra on Netflix but I prefer animation with more realistic features or something closer to the original. But I guess that's because I'm older and these shows weren't made for people my age. lol.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

AaronMic95 wrote: »
    I loved the He-Man and She-Ra series when I was younger. I want to check out the new She-Ra on Netflix but I prefer animation with more realistic features or something closer to the original. But I guess that's because I'm older and these shows weren't made for people my age. lol.

Why remake something and make it look like the original though? I'm pretty sure the original series is on Netflix anyway, so you could just watch it again if that's what floats your boat.

Visuals aside, the new SheRa has some really complex storytelling and well developed characters with seriously impressive story arcs over the whole series. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but I don't know that there's an age limit on that kind of thing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Finally started watching One Punch Man. If you've ever watched Anime it's well worth watching. Don't want to say too much because describing it kinda give too much away. Give it an episode or 2, it's excellent.

I had a great time with it, I don't really keep up with any anime series these days but I grew up on the likes of Dragon Ball and Saint Seiya and this feels very much, uh, informed by the likes of that.

Hopefully we wont have to wait too much longer for Netflix to get the second series.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Magnetic, a documentary about extreme sports, has some fantastic footage. Especially paragliding in New Zealand and skiing at high altitude in Pakistan. Some less exciting parts too, but overall it's making me wish I was younger and could explore the world more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

PNL - Dans la légende tour
    French rap duo PNL deliver hypnotic visuals and perform popular tracks from their album "Dans la légende" and more at the Bercy Arena in Paris.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭deisedude

Magnetic, a documentary about extreme sports, has some fantastic footage. Especially paragliding in New Zealand and skiing at high altitude in Pakistan. Some less exciting parts too, but overall it's making me wish I was younger and could explore the world more.

Simpler times. Going to the supermarket is like an extreme sport now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭p to the e

Ardillaun wrote: »
    I’m in S3 of Homeland and feel it’s still revealing its Israeli roots. Al Qaeda (and latterly ISIS) was and is a global organization, mainly Sunni, but what I’m seeing here is Lebanon, Palestine and Iran. Where are the Pakistanis, Central Asians, Gulf Arabs, Africans and Europeans?

One of the later seasons takes place in Germany and the Pakistanis show up in later seasons aswell. The Russians get involved a lot aswell. Don't worry they're coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

AaronMic95 wrote: »

I was a big fan of He-man and She-ra too. When I saw the remake of She-ra I turned it off straight away. Its just so very different to the original series . I just hope Kevin Smiths remake of He-man is like the original

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

p to the e wrote: »
    One of the later seasons takes place in Germany and the Pakistanis show up in later seasons aswell. The Russians get involved a lot aswell. Don't worry they're coming.

Glad to hear it. At the moment, I feel there’s a good show trying to get out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

Traitors.. based in England after world war 2. Fairly good. If you like espionage you'll like this. Also on the same line with Sacha baron Cohen "the spy" was also very good.

Jim Jefferies: Intolerant
    Between scenes from an excruciating date, Jim Jefferies digs into generational differences, his own bad habits and the shifting boundaries in comedy.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭dubstepper

One I caught recently on Netflix is BlueJay. Quite a bitter sweet romantic drama. I would never watch anything like it normally but it was recommended to me. Follows the story of a guy going back to his home town and meeting up with an old flame who happens to be back too. They spend a day revisiting their past. I think many of us who have past romances can I kind of connect with the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Spaced has been added to Netflix. Noticed last night. Binge watch central. One of the funniest UK shows ever.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

joeguevara wrote: »
    Spaced has been added to Netflix. Noticed last night. Binge watch central. One of the funniest UK shows ever.

I'm watching it at the moment, I've never seen it before. I nearly gave up on it after the first two episodes, thought they were very poor. It's improved considerably since then though with Edgar Wrights visual style shining through now. Very enjoyable now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

This is simply a warning; avoid "line of duty" the Netflix movie with Aaron Eckhart. ( Not the excellent TV show)

I have never seen such massive plotholes before.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,002 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

joe40 wrote: »
    This is simply a warning; avoid "line of duty" the Netflix movie with Aaron Eckhart. ( Not the excellent TV show)

I have never seen such massive plotholes before.

Very rare that a film featuring Aaron Eckhart isn't sh*t.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Very rare that a film featuring Aaron Eckhart isn't sh*t.

The Dark Knight and Thank You For Smoking would disagree with you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

His career kinda nosedived after that, hasn't really been attached to much that wasn't z-movie level.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The Dark Knight and Thank You For Smoking would disagree with you

2 films out of 47. I would call that very rare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Some amount of reality shows available now.
    Think I’m finished with Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭garra

Without question the best Hollywood film of the last two years - a blistering, razor-sharp shot of adrenaline. Anyone who missed it in the cinema, this is up there with the likes of The Raid at the top-tier of modern action filmmaking. Still impressive Christopher McQuarrie (and of course Cruise himself as the de facto second director at this stage) went from its decent predecessor to this - major leap in confidence and quality.

....Which is all very well but you have to watch the grinning big-headed dwarf run around for 90 minutes and this takes all the good out of any film

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

joeguevara wrote: »

It's good not great. It has some decent lines, it worth a watch .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

It's good not great. It has some decent lines, it worth a watch .

Ah Spaced is gas. So many funny characters. The raver courier is hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

garra wrote: »
    ....Which is all very well but you have to watch the grinning big-headed dwarf run around for 90 minutes and this takes all the good out of any film

Fallout is excellent , there is a rare film that he makes that's bad. Mi1 is brilliant 4th July he would have won oscar bar DDL . He one of the best actors I've ever seen. If you dont like him fair enough but his catalogue of films are classics .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭garra

Fallout is excellent , there is a rare film that he makes that's bad. Mi1 is brilliant 4th July he would have won oscar bar DDL . He one of the best actors I've ever seen. If you dont like him fair enough but his catalogue of films are classics .

He leaves me cold as a person and an actor, I just switch off when he walks / jumps / lands / parachutes / swims / climbs / back-flips / moon-walks on screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Any Asian horror fans (like myself) out there? Well don't bother watching Ju-on Origins.....it's f*cking rubbish.

Mucho Mucho Amor: The Legend of Walter Mercado
    Dazzling and tender-hearted, legendary astrologer Walter Mercado vanished at the peak of his fame. This documentary poignantly explains what happened.

Stateless
    Four strangers -- a woman on the run, a brave refugee, a driven bureaucrat and a struggling dad -- intersect at an Australian immigration detention center.

Yu-Gi-Oh! season 2
    The lives of young Yugi Muto and his friends Joey, Tristan and Téa are forever changed when a fantasy card game becomes their reality.

added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

He leaves me cold as a person and an actor, I just switch off when he walks / jumps / lands / parachutes / swims / climbs / back-flips / moon-walks on screen.

Your loss; while I don't rate Cruise as an actor myself, Fallout's action is visceral and brilliantly staged / paced, not least because Cruise pulls a Buster Keaton and performs the stunts himself. I don't watch the MI films because I like Cruise the actor, I watch them because his commitment to "real" dangerous stunts makes the films work 10 times more than any other blockbuster out there. Gotta respect / wince at someone who'll literally break an ankle to achieve a simple "jumping across a roof" scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭strawdog

I'd be fairly indifferent to him as an actor, I generally think he can do a serviceable job when he's kept reined in. But I'd agree with the point that if you're actually looking for movies with the elements the above post mentions, ie a relatively unchallenging but enjoyable popcorn action movie, imo he's rarely in a dud in terms of production and watchability

Advertisement