Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

You trust the internet and Google to be right about facts wow.

To be honest I never watched the second season of making a murderer because I felt it was very biased and had an agenda from the start eg showing how Steven was innocent but for all this I actually came away from the documentary believing Stephen is guilty, his nephew now that’s another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Rfrip

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Two weeks and you'll have a hayu subscription as you'll need to get your fix elsewhere.

Just signed up to hayu :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

There's a thread for The Old Guard but thought I'd briefly mention it here too. Lumpen load of arsegravy, not worth your time as anything more than background noise. Over 2 hours long and most of that is filled by bad writing and the cast trying to do their best. What action is there is good albeit unexceptional, but there's too little of it. Disappointing guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

gmisk wrote: »
    There are 12 series of the original unsolved mysteries on Amazon prime!

Roll red roll was excellent if seriously disturbing

Do you know what season that episode is on?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,616 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Do you know what season that episode is on?
    Oh apologies for confusion roll red roll is a totally separate thing nothing to do with unsolved mysteries.
    It isnt an easy watch but highly recommend it, it's available on Netflix or iplayer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭appledrop

Has anyone watched the last of the tsars(czars)?

Watched Deutschland 83 and the Americans, both so good. Kinda cool because the events of both series occur during the same year in history.

I have watched last of tsars. Now don't be expecting anything like standard of Deutschland or the America's.

The acting etc a bit woeful at times but it's strength is that jumps between that +"actual historians telling the story which I have always been fascinated with so for that reason I enjoyed it. Put it this way watch one episode + then you will know if you can watch the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭appledrop

Thanks for all the recommendations for unsolved mysteries.

Just watch first 2 episode + we are hooked.

1st one the police are to blame for this been still unsolved. Basicially no investigation whatsoever apart from guy on documentary.

2nd one don't know what happened but who the f**k changes the locks on door so their stepchild can't get into house the day after his mother goes missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Watched the first episode of Dark there. Intriguing already. I was reading that's its complicated.
    Is it extremely difficult to follow or just a bit where you get the general gist of it as it plods along.
    I do like the bit of time travel in movies, so that wouldn't put me off. And generally have decent patience. I'm not the person who needs to know exactly what's happening all of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

Watched the first episode of Dark there. Intriguing already. I was reading that's its complicated.
    Is it extremely difficult to follow or just a bit where you get the general gist of it as it plods along.
    I do like the bit of time travel in movies, so that wouldn't put me off. And generally have decent patience. I'm not the person who needs to know exactly what's happening all of the time.
    It’s extremely difficult to follow especially from season 2 on
    Requires your full attention at all times
    End even then you probably won’t know exactly who is who or what is going on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Watched a couple of episodes of unsolved mysteries, didn't find it that interesting. Was expecting a lot more intriguing mysteries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Watched a couple of episodes of unsolved mysteries, didn't find it that interesting. Was expecting a lot more intriguing mysteries

The older ones are better if very dated, all on Prime

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I've been watching some of Chef's Table today. I usually don't like American food shows but this one is really good, it's really more about the individual chefs and their personal journies and connections with food. I've only watched two, Mashama Bailey in Savanah, Georgia and Asma Khan in London via India. I've heard of Khan before but her story is really inspiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

I've been watching some of Chef's Table today. I usually don't like American food shows but this one is really good, it's really more about the individual chefs and their personal journies and connections with food. I've only watched two, Mashama Bailey in Savanah, Georgia and Asma Khan in London via India. I've heard of Khan before but her story is really inspiring.

It's very well produced some amazing stories too. Very little actual food in it. Still very interesting

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

limnam wrote: »
    It's very well produced some amazing stories too. Very little actual food in it. Still very interesting

I've watched 4 episodes now, some more interesting than others. The different mindsets and work/life balance attitudes are fascinating though. 2 of the eps featured chefs who sort of fell into cooking as adults having studied to be something else, and the other 2 were chefs who had been working in kitchens since they were 14/15. The 2 who fell into it seem to be living much happier and relatively stress free lives compared to the other two. Maybe that's a side effect of dedicating your whole life to something rather than just doing it because you love it. Anyway, I'm finding it all very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Rogue Warfare: Death of a Nation
    As their leader recovers from trauma, a global team of elite soldiers must regroup and stop the deadly plans of an extremist mastermind within 36 hours.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

I watched Mission Impossible:Fallout last night after catching up on the series by watching Rogue Nation (not currently on Netflix) during the week. In the end I found it to be a bit too long, a little bit OTT (I know, I know, it's MI) and that it had too many characters. It was pretty good but Rogue Nation was far better.
    For the whole movie I was expecting a plan crash that never came because I was sure I remembered hearing about some crazy stunt where they went out and really crashed a plan. After some Googling I can only conclude that this memory is a mismash of hearing about Tom Cruise holding on to a plane in Rogue Nation and the landing scene in Made in America. Not sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I think that scene you're thinking of maybe in the forthcoming Tenet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

Hurrache wrote: »
    I think that scene you're thinking of maybe in the forthcoming Tenet?

I was just about to reply saying no way definitely not but who knows, could well be. I was 100% it was MI so it could be anything I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Well the first two episodes are very enjoyable, they screwed the pooch with the last one imo. Definitely worth a watch though.

If ever a show can be criticised for jumping the shark it was that 3rd episode of Dracula very good up until that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Can a show 'jump the shark' in it's third episode?

Or has the term become so broad that I no longer understand what it means without context?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭joeguevara

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Can a show 'jump the shark' in it's third episode?

Or has the term become so broad that I no longer understand what it means without context?

I think youre right. It has to be widely popular and then due to a stark decrease in popularity makes a crazy stunt to generate publicity in a hope to regain popularity. Not simply, going sh1te early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I tried to watch Floor Is Lava over the weekend, absolutely terrible which is a shame because the concept is quiet good. It's so over produced and almost scripted, you can tell the contestants are using prepared lines because they're terrible actors. There's a moment in the first episode where two contestants on the same team make the same joke simultaneously, almost word for word. Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I tried to watch Floor Is Lava over the weekend, absolutely terrible which is a shame because the concept is quiet good. It's so over produced and almost scripted, you can tell the contestants are using prepared lines because they're terrible actors. There's a moment in the first episode where two contestants on the same team make the same joke simultaneously, almost word for word. Avoid.
    I know it's not what you intended, but you've slightly piqued my interest in it now, just to see how bad it is :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I know it's not what you intended, but you've slightly piqued my interest in it now, just to see how bad it is :pac:

I went in for the exact same reason, I heard a terrible review. I was hoping it might be so bad it was good but it wasn't, not for me anyway. If you get more enjoyment out of it, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭mightyreds

joeguevara wrote: »
    I think youre right. It has to be widely popular and then due to a stark decrease in popularity makes a crazy stunt to generate publicity in a hope to regain popularity. Not simply, going sh1te early on.

Ah right i didn't know that i thought it was just a term for going off the rails. I missed out on the original shark jumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

mightyreds wrote: »
    Ah right i didn't know that i thought it was just a term for going off the rails. I missed out on the original shark jumping.
    The original shark jumping was a literal shark jump :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Netflix true crime output has been really strong and engaging. A strong theme emerging from some of their best docs is the endemic corruption in police forces across the world.

To take 3 docs as an example, namely 'Who killed little Gregory', 'The confession killer' and 'The Innocent Man', each case was defined by corrupt law officials trying to close out a case to satisfy public appetite. They were content to coerce innocent people from a poor background to confess to crimes they never committed. If it wasn't for DNA evidence a lot of these innocent people would rot in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

It does get really complicated towards the end of S2 and through all of S3. The first season isn't very complicated in isolation, though there are tons of small, seemingly insignificant details that are important later on.

Basically, everything from the first episode is connected right through to the finale of S3.

What appears to be "filler" at times is anything but, there are tons of callbacks throughout S2 and S3 to everything that's happened prior, which can make it complicated.

I suspect most viewers have failed to connect the dots on numerous occasions, even if they're still following the "general" storyline.

I had to rewatch some episodes more than once to tie stuff together, and spend a lot of time on google in between/during certain others as well.

I have it down now, and it's truly a masterpiece, but it's so unbelievably intricate and complicated towards its end-game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Has anybody watched "The Last Days of American Crime"? Mauled by the critics. I see Patrick Bergin plays a prominent role. Maybe that's the reason why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Aidric wrote: »
    Netflix true crime output has been really strong and engaging. A strong theme emerging from some of their best docs is the endemic corruption in police forces across the world.

To take 3 docs as an example, namely 'Who killed little Gregory', 'The confession killer' and 'The Innocent Man', each case was defined by corrupt law officials trying to close out a case to satisfy public appetite. They were content to coerce innocent people from a poor background to confess to crimes they never committed. If it wasn't for DNA evidence a lot of these innocent people would rot in jail.

It makes you wonder how often this happens to people . Time and time again we see or read of , innocent people being released (if they're lucky) after spending half their lives in prison , just because the law officials want to stamp case solved on the files .

Who Killed Little Gregory was very sad .

Advertisement