Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Any ideas how on a laptop/tv?

Got through the three episodes of Paula. An Irish/BBC production that goes a bit mad and pointless. :rolleyes:

Watched Paula when it was on RTE a few years ago. Strange strange show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Anyone watch the Efron show? Based off the show it seems to be Zac jetting around the world espousing the potential threat of climate change

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

donfers wrote: »
    I finished stateless, an excellent show based on real-life events

only 6 episodes so won't keep you long

Just finished Stateless too. It’s very very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭chicorytip

"Strange Weather". Film starring Holly Hunter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Cursed season 1
    Armed with mysterious powers and a legendary sword, young rebel Nimue joins forces with charming mercenary Arthur on a mission to save her people

Father Soldier Son
    After a single father is severely wounded in Afghanistan, he and his sons embark on a journey of sacrifice and a search for redemption.

Kissing Game (brazil)
    At a high school in a rural, isolated ranching community, families panic when teens contract a mysterious "kissing disease" that quickly spreads.

Alpha
    During the last Ice Age, a boy forges a transformative bond with a wolf and treks through an unforgiving landscape to reunite with his tribe.

Slender Man
    Desperate to find their missing friend, a group of girls summons the entity they believe took her -- the evil legend of Internet lore, Slender Man.

added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I watched The Big Lebowski for the first time ever this week.
    For the life of me, I don't know how it escaped me before now.

What a fantastic wee filum, really really good, and so funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Re-watched it last week, never gets old

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

very jealous. Enjoy the next 45 watches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Watching Old Guard and reading Boards, doesnt say much for either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Never seen that..

I watched unsolved mysteries recently, I really enjoyed that. Very sad though.

I watched the devil next door the last few nights. It's a good series.

Watched the whole series 'how I met your mother' not amazing. but I have a soft spot for them kinda things.. So I enjoyed it.. I would say that 'It's always sunny in Philadephia' is better..

Now I am watching ' how to fix a drugs scandle'..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Thanks to the people who recommended giri/ haji
    I thought it was amazing , 5 seasons worth of story in crammed into 1

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,238 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

peteeeed wrote: »
    Thanks to the people who recommended giri/ haji
    I thought it was amazing , 5 seasons worth a story in crammed into 1

Been watching a show on netfilx called Flowers which is written and directed by Will Sharpe (the guy who plays Rodney in Giri/Haji). It's super depressing but also very funny, Olivia Coleman and Julian Barrett are in it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,401 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Been watching a show on netfilx called Flowers which is written and directed by Will Sharpe (the guy who plays Rodney in Giri/Haji). It's super depressing but also very funny, Olivia Coleman and Julian Barrett are in it too.

Yeah Flowers is great

• Registered Users Posts: 60,547 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Netflix putting a record 200m into making the Russo Brothers The Gray Man starring Ryan Gosling & Chris Evans.
    The intention here is to create a new franchise with a James Bond level of scale and a budget upward of $200 million.
    The action thriller is a deadly duel between killers as Gentry (Gosling) is hunted across the globe by Lloyd Hansen (Evans), a former cohort of Gentry’s at the CIA. The Gray Man turned into a bestselling book series, and the expectation is that Gosling will continue in multiple installments. The project was developed years back at New Regency as a Brad Pitt/James Gray vehicle, but it stalled. The Russos quietly have been developing it for years.

“The movie is a real mano a mano between those two great actors who represent two different versions of the CIA, in what it can be, and what it can do,” Anthony Russo told Deadline. “For those who were fans of Captain America: Winter Soldier, this is us moving into that territory in more of a real-world setting. That’s what this movie really means for us.”

https://deadline.com/2020/07/netflix-the-gray-man-ryan-gosling-chris-evans-joe-russo-anthony-russo-directing-1202987267/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well, that they already have their eyes on a franchise before the first has been born smells of hubris destined for failure. Even the MCU started ad hoc before the universe presented itself; Hollywood is a graveyard of presumptive franchises.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well, that they already have their eyes on a franchise before the first has been born smells of hubris destined for failure. Even the MCU started ad hoc before the universe presented itself; Hollywood is a graveyard of presumptive franchises.

The DCEU, the Universal Dark Universe, and Guy Ritchie's King Arthur series spring to mind. I like everyone involved in this, hopefully the Russos will have picked something up from Feige in terms of establishing a series. Also it's Netflix so they're not exactly reliant on box office. Will be interested to see how this pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,023 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

As well as many film series based on books like His Dark Materials

Still waiting on their Chronicles of Narnia take which is another example of an abandoned film franchise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I see Black Klansman is coming next. Fantastic movie in my opinion, well worth a watch. The humour in the movie is brilliant, Even though the subject matter is serious.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

CastorTroy wrote: »
    As well as many film series based on books like His Dark Materials

Still waiting on their Chronicles of Narnia take which is another example of an abandoned film franchise

His Dark Materials TV show from last year was really good. Hopefully it gets to go longer than the film series.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

joe40 wrote: »
    I see Black Klansman is coming next. Fantastic movie in my opinion, well worth a watch. The humour in the movie is brilliant, Even though the subject matter is serious.

Fantastic film! Sad that it's even more relevant now than it was at the time of its release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Old Guard ,don't bother, weaker than Highlander 2

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

joe40 wrote: »

Was pretty underwhelmed by it myself, didn't get the hype at all.

Anyone watch the Efron show? Based off the show it seems to be Zac jetting around the world espousing the potential threat of climate change

I gave the first episode a go because I adore Iceland, but barely made it through the episode. Efron isn't the right presenter for such a show, isn't an interesting enough mind to view the world through. No insights of his own and has tame, unremarkable interactions with the people he meets. It's basically him and his buddy reacting to shít in the most meaningless ways - "Awesome...gnarly...far out".

He's no Anthony Bourdain, or anywhere near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Old Guard ,don't bother, weaker than Highlander 2

Highlander 2, a film so bad that it even managed to destroy the original film.

Just finished Japan Sinks 2020. It's the first anime series I've watched so I don't know if its typical. It was marred by a bizarre and irrevelant subplot halfway through and a number of Deus Ex Machina moments, but still pretty good with a really emotional ending. I'd recommend it - not for the little ones though

• Registered Users Posts: 29,023 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

His Dark Materials TV show from last year was really good. Hopefully it gets to go longer than the film series.

Yeah I heard it was good. Have it in my backlog waiting to be watched

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

This Is Where I Leave You

Just finished watching this and while it's not going to blow anyone away it is very enjoyable. The phone wasn't touched at all while it was on.

Four siblings return home after the death of their father and are forced to spend time together. Something none of them are eager to do. It's not a laugh a minute comedy but there are some moments of genuine humour and the cast alone (Jason Bateman, Jane Fonda, Tina Fey, Corey Stoll and Adam Driver as the siblings and their mother) will keep you entertained. 8/10

Just finished Japan Sinks 2020. It's the first anime series I've watched so I don't know if its typical. It was marred by a bizarre and irrevelant subplot halfway through and a number of Deus Ex Machina moments, but still pretty good with a really emotional ending. I'd recommend it - not for the little ones though

Have you watched spirited away? It's a bit wacky, but very good IMO. These was also recommended to me over on the anime forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Watched the first two episodes of that Warrior Nun, thought the idea was kind of cool but it's utter tripe. I can forgive characters doing/saying stupid things if it's not so obvious and if you can sightly see the daft logic in their actions (like Lost in Space for example) - avoid this one like the plague though, absolute horsesh1t 0/10

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

job seeker wrote: »
    Have you watched spirited away? It's a bit wacky, but very good IMO. These was also recommended to me over on the anime forum.

I did indeed, and some of the other studio ghibli films too. Even accounting for the weirdness, there's a certain style that takes some getting used to.

• Advertisement

I did indeed, and some of the other studio ghibli films too. Even accounting for the weirdness, there's a certain style that takes some getting used to.

Yes very true. Do you watch it on English subtitles or dubbed? As it's a bit confusing using both..

Advertisement