Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Watched the first two episodes of that Warrior Nun, thought the idea was kind of cool but it's utter tripe. I can forgive characters doing/saying stupid things if it's not so obvious and if you can sightly see the daft logic in their actions (like Lost in Space for example) - avoid this one like the plague though, absolute horsesh1t 0/10

It's actually really good once it gets going, just takes a bit of time to get to that point. Most people who stuck with it will say the same. I'm hoping for a S2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

It's actually really good once it gets going, just takes a bit of time to get to that point. Most people who stuck with it will say the same. I'm hoping for a S2.
    Read that before, but still took me two attempts to finish episode 1, and gave up during episode 2. In what way does it pick up?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

job seeker wrote: »
    Yes very true. Do you watch it on English subtitles or dubbed? As it's a bit confusing using both..

Tried just dubbed but they left translations out for text and signs, so I had to use both. You're right - they're done by different people!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Finally got around to watching Flight, enjoyable watch

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Finally got around to watching Flight, enjoyable watch

It's like Sully, but on cocaine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Read that before, but still took me two attempts to finish episode 1, and gave up during episode 2. In what way does it pick up?

It just picks up. I don't really know what other way to describe it. Once Ava commits to working with the order there's more direction in terms of plot and there's more action, a lot of it is pretty cool too. I'll admit the early episodes have serious pacing issues, and the entire side plot with Ava and JC is a snooze fest. It takes way too long for Ava to get to the point where she accepts her new role, and a lot of it plays out as extremely repetitive, but once she gets there it's a lot of fun and the last 2 episodes especially are a mile a minute in terms of reveals and action. I think it's episode 5 where it starts to pick up, but it's entirely understandable that some people don't make it that far. I only stuck with it because I saw several reviews from people I'd trust that said it was worth sticking with.
    There's a separate thread for it where a few people were discussing it while watching it. Spoilers are all tagged. https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058087786/1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Yeah I heard it was good. Have it in my backlog waiting to be watched

I thought it was rubbish :( The characters were wooden and annoying, and just couldn't get past the second episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Watched Rockandrolla yesterday and really liked it. Pure Guy RItchie comedy gangster caper but very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

I finished ‘how to fix a drug scandal’ last night. I thought it was poorly done to be honest. Frankly just found it boring it didn’t really keep my attention. I was surprised as I’m generally into them kind of dictionaries..

Edit: Probably shouldn’t have stated this here, on this thread..

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

joeguevara wrote: »
    Watched Rockandrolla yesterday and really liked it. Pure Guy RItchie comedy gangster caper but very enjoyable.

Easily my least favourite of his. One of the few times I wanted to leave the cinema before the film ended.

• Advertisement

Easily my least favourite of his. One of the few times I wanted to leave the cinema before the film ended.

Really? I liked it. Nowhere near as good as Snatch, Lock Stock or the Sherlock Holmes movies but definitely enjoyable on a Sunday afternoon.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,238 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Are you saying you like Revolver and Swept Away more than RocknRolla :eek:

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Are you saying you like Revolver and Swept Away more than RocknRolla :eek:

:D honestly I didn't even watch those two! But sounds like a self harm challenge....

Really? I liked it. Nowhere near as good as Snatch, Lock Stock or the Sherlock Holmes movies but definitely enjoyable on a Sunday afternoon.

It might have gotten better with time, but I think it came out around the time of Shoot Em Up with Clive Owen, and the success of rocknrolla triggered me as it was by far the inferior film. The stupidity and obnoxiousness of it were off the scales.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,238 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

:D honestly I didn't even watch those two! But sounds like a self harm challenge....

:D I've only watched Revolver out of those and it's torturous.To be honest, looking at his director credits on imdb there's a few in there I had forgotten about or wasn't aware that he was involved in, like the live action Disney's Aladdin from last year and King Arthur a couple of years before.

It might have gotten better with time, but I think it came out around the time of Shoot Em Up with Clive Owen, and the success of rocknrolla triggered me as it was by far the inferior film. The stupidity and obnoxiousness of it were off the scales.

I just love British cockney gangster movies. Not everyone's cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭flasher0030

You'll probably love The Gentlemen. Came out last year. I loved it anyway. Great entertainment.

You'll probably love The Gentlemen. Came out last year. I loved it anyway. Great entertainment.

Cant wait to watch it. Was so disappointed that I missed it in the cinema. The clip with Colin Farrell in the takeaway was very funny.

Cant wait to watch it. Was so disappointed that I missed it in the cinema. The clip with Colin Farrell in the takeaway was very funny.

Watched that a few weeks ago and thought it was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Layer Cake is another good english gangster flick. With Daniel Craig.
    And Legend - film with Tom Hardy as Kray brothers.
    Another good one is This is England. But its more raw and degenerate – it’s not like the polished Guy Ritchie humor movie.
    And ill Manors. Again, this is a more serious film – gangs and drugs.

• Advertisement

Another good one is This is England. But its more raw and degenerate – it’s not like the polished Guy Ritchie humor movie.

Layercake is one of my favourite films and is on Netflix - great recommendation.

I'll check the other three out.

Guvnors on Netflix is one I watched on Saturday night. Again same type of genre. Really liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,736 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

This is England is absolutely fantastic and even more so when you then watch the tv series ,

They used the same cast and extended the story and made 3 sequels this is England 86 - this is England 88 and this is England 90 , each 4 episodes ,They have plans to make this is England 00 in 2025 ten years after the last one,

It's brilliant but also heart-breaking tv , Sound tracks are brilliant and take you right back to the year there set in

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The Indian Matchmaker is very good.

The Business is another decent one. But its on Amazon Prime! Ill get shunned now!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Jack Whitehall: I'm Only Joking
    Jack Whitehall hits the stage with hilarious tales about happy couples, life in hotels, human stupidity and his well-traveled father.

Street Food: Latin America season 1
    In this vibrant docuseries, Latin American chefs tell their stories and bring a taste of tradition and innovation to their delicious offerings.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Watched The Lost Bullet, dubbed French thriller, plot is wafer thin, they seemed to be trying for Fast an Furious with the budget of Ros na Run

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Watched The Lost Bullet, dubbed French thriller, plot is wafer thin, they seemed to be trying for Fast an Furious with the budget of Ros na Run

To be fair, if you watch the trailer (or the opening 5 minutes of the film) it has no illusions about what it is. I watched it with that in mind and enjoyed it as a decent action film - the action scenes are pretty good (
    the police station escape/fight was a highlight for me
    , it doesn't get bogged down in too much exposition, and it doesn't outstay its welcome at just over 90 minutes long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Storage 24, British sci-fi/horror, nothing you haven't seen before but passable enough, Ned Denehy does another oddball

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

How to Sell Drugs Online (Fast) - Season 2 added today as well.

Really enjoyed the first one and at 6 x ~30min episodes, you'd fly through it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

ixoy wrote: »
    How to Sell Drugs Online (Fast) - Season 2 added today as well.

Really enjoyed the first one and at 6 x ~30min episodes, you'd fly through it.

Great, enjoyed the 1st season

Advertisement