Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Dunkirk was such a good film. Watched it in the cinema and didn't like it. Felt it worked better on the small screen. The whole point of it is to portray the reality of war, to show it's not like a movie with the hollywood hearthrob coming out with cutting one liners and I feel it worked better in that context.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭flasher0030

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Since it's leaving Netflix on Tuesday, I decided to watch Dunkirk. I think I put it off as I thought it was a long film. Turns out i's only about 100 mins.

But was just going to say, is it me or is "Continue Watching" getting more annoying to find? Be great if they just kept it at the top row.
    "Continue Watching" the "my List" then everything else.

They're still really pushing Cursed. All these notifications they keep doing get annoying as well. "Hey! You added Cursed to your list 5 seconds ago. Why haven't you watched it yet?" "You stopped watching a series to go to bed. Don't forget you still have the rest to watch!"

Is there a bit of a plot to Dunkirk. I don't know the history. And haven't looked it up. If I watch the film, I'd like to go in not knowing anything.

Or is it one of those war films where it's almost constantly 100s of soldiers running around, bombs going off, dozens of planes chasing each other. I don't mean to belittle the old ways of war. Just that I'm not really into massive spectacle of action on the screen. I prefer more a bit of storyline, character dialogue etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Is there a bit of a plot to Dunkirk. I don't know the history. And haven't looked it up. If I watch the film, I'd like to go in not knowing anything.

Or is it one of those war films where it's almost constantly 100s of soldiers running around, bombs going off, dozens of planes chasing each other. I don't mean to belittle the old ways of war. Just that I'm not really into massive spectacle of action on the screen. I prefer more a bit of storyline, character dialogue etc.

Nope. I would say the main theme is the reality of war- Boredom interspersed with intermittent periods of action. The normalcy of it. In reality, sure there's meddles for bravery and stuff but nobody is the star like other movies portray-some people just get luckier and survive.

There's not much of a storyline to it but this is actually accurate. The storyline is Germans have outmaneuvered British and French forces and the Brits have to scarper back across the channel to England. The whole plot just deals with this. There's 3 overlapping plots but none of them really get primacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭scilover

warrior of nun is nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

It’s difficult to explain this movie.

I’d think of it as feeling more like a horror/thriller movie to watch than a classic war movie. The use of cinematography and to a greater extent the score is what gives the movie its edge - reminds me of jaws in that sense, music queues to increase the tension.
    Very little dialogue.

You don’t need to know the history. Well worth watching

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

Watched Lovebirds over the weekend and really enjoyed it, some proper laughs in it, and its not really what you'd expect looking at the artwork on Netflix.

Danesh from Silicon Valley stars in it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,238 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

tigger123 wrote: »
    Watched Lovebirds over the weekend and really enjoyed it, some proper laughs in it, and its not really what you'd expect looking at the artwork on Netflix.

That was enjoyable enough I thought, I think it could have been poor if the two leads weren't so good but they wee very funny together.

If you like Kumail Nunjiani you should give The Big Sick a watch, it should be on Amazon Prime as it was an "amazon original" if memory serves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Along with the Big Sick recommendation above, I'd recommend Insecure which is Issa Rey's show on HBO, I think there are 4 seasons on Sky Go and Now TV and it's very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Along with the Big Sick recommendation above, I'd recommend Insecure which is Issa Rey's show on HBO, I think there are 4 seasons on Sky Go and Now TV and it's very good.
    The patois is a little hard to follow sometimes, but it's a show that's gets better each season. Authentic-feeling with decent acting and humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

I'd never even heard of Issa Rae before Lovebirds, but will definitely check her show out. The two leads were excellent in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I started watching 'The Society' and I don’t know.. does it improve? It’s a bit too angsty teen stuff I don’t care about.

Had the same opinion with both 'Outer Banks' and ‘The Order’. Think I may be watching the wrong shows!

But things are thin on the ground at the minute. At least The Umbrella Academy is back this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,505 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Watched Stateless over the last few weeks and really enjoyed it, an eye opener into what a lot of refugees have to go through even if that is not necessarily the main plot. Funnily enough I found the main character pretty annoying and unlikeable but really liked every other part to the series, read up about the real case of Cornelia Rau and it was very interesting.

I'd never even heard of Issa Rae before Lovebirds, but will definitely check her show out. The two leads were excellent in it.

521233.png

Fifth and final season on its way. I was surprised there was no thread for it. Much better than a lot of dramedies out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ClydeTallyBump

I would highly recommend Shtisel. There are 2 seasons of it. It is about an Ultra Orthodox Jewish family in Jerusalem. It is really engaging.

I would highly recommend Shtisel. There are 2 seasons of it. It is about an Ultra Orthodox Jewish family in Judaism. It is really engaging.
    It's on my list after watching Unorthodox (and someone recommended it).

It's on my list after watching Unorthodox (and someone recommended it).

I much prefer Shtisel to Unorthodox which I was felt was rushed and would have benefited from more episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

Vacation was suprisingly enjoyable !

I loved the originals and fully expected to hate this . Few nice nods to originals too. Kind of hope they remake european vacation now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

gmisk wrote: »
    searching is imo fantastic best go in blind

Second this. Very good little thriller that gets the whole online/tech stuff more right than many other movies I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Finished Cursed - the premise isn't the worst but it's all very meh towards the end. About halfway through it goes from a toned down Game of Thrones (no nudity but some semi-graphic violence) to a teenage angst fest, not for me.

There's a scene with a speech that is so fooking awful I laughed out loud, but of course it rallied the troops because everyone in this show is a moron.

There's another scene where two men are rushing from a burning building when just as they are about to get out one of them stops the other to ask if he has feelings for the main character - couldn't have waited till ye were outside no?

Thought Peter Mullan was very good now, but he's been good in most things I've seen him in, just a shame he's been wasted in such a daft show.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Dunkirk was such a good film. Watched it in the cinema and didn't like it. Felt it worked better on the small screen. The whole point of it is to portray the reality of war, to show it's not like a movie with the hollywood hearthrob coming out with cutting one liners and I feel it worked better in that context.
    Oddly enough the reason I have not watched it as I was waiting to see it in imax as I missed out on first release. Interesting that you thought it worked better on the small screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Last Chance U season 5 (final season of the superb american football series , next the makers are moving to basketball)
    Elite athletes with difficult pasts turn to junior college football for a last shot at turning their lives around and achieving their dreams

added

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Fear city. Get on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Basq wrote: »
    I started watching 'The Society' and I don’t know.. does it improve? It’s a bit too angsty teen stuff I don’t care about.

Had the same opinion with both 'Outer Banks' and ‘The Order’. Think I may be watching the wrong shows!

But things are thin on the ground at the minute. At least The Umbrella Academy is back this week!
    There's some great shows on Netflix but a lot of politically correct formulaic nonsense too. It's grating when you've seen the same show with 50 different names.
    Unrelated to thread but am looking forward to Season 2 of "the boys" on Prime

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

There's some great shows on Netflix but a lot of politically correct formulaic nonsense too. It's grating when you've seen the same show with 50 different names.
    Unrelated to thread but am looking forward to Season 2 of "the boys" on Prime
    Netflix is very teenagery.
    Most things are just a Cheap knock off copy of something original.
    Breaking bad > ozark is the one that stands out to me.
    I find myself constantly underwhelmed By the movies (the old guard )

However there is always at least one thing good a month that will keep occupied for a rainy weekend that I couldn’t be arse doing anything.

The Michael Jordan was a great doc.
    Stateless was a good series.

The Hater
    An ambitious young man starts working in the dark world of social media smear tactics, and learns that virtual vitriol has dire real-life consequences. This Polish film was snapped up after it won the Best International Narrative Feature prize at this year’s online Tribeca Film Festival.

The Speed Cubers
    Speed Cubing, which is the competitive sport of solving a Rubik’s Cube in mere seconds, has grown into a worldwide phenomenon in recent years. For nearly a decade in the sport, Feliks Zemdegs from Australia, has reigned unchallenged as the king of cubers, the greatest of all time. That is, until now.

Inside the World's Toughest Prisons season 4
    Investigative journalists become voluntary inmates in the world's most volatile prisons, where intimidation and brutality rule.

Added

The Hater
    An ambitious young man starts working in the dark world of social media smear tactics, and learns that virtual vitriol has dire real-life consequences. This Polish film was snapped up after it won the Best International Narrative Feature prize at this year’s online Tribeca Film Festival

The Speed Cubers
    This documentary captures the extraordinary twists and turns in the journeys of Rubik's Cube-solving champions Max Park and Feliks Zemdegs.

added

confirmation that dunkirk & spotlight have been removed it sometimes means they are about to appear on film 4

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Started to watch 'How to sell drugs online fast' season two yesterday. Absolutely loved the first season, which I stumbled upon by chance about 14-15 months ago. I don't know why but I find it quite irritating the new dubbed voices. I preferred the European dubbed voices as the cockney twang doesn't suit. Still enjoying it, but don't know why they created this unexpected bug bear.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,023 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was watching the Cowboy Bebop film last night and got me thinking about the Netflix series. Surprised there have been no pictures leaked/released. I know it's been put on hold, but they have filmed some of it already.

joeguevara wrote: »
    Started to watch 'How to sell drugs online fast' season two yesterday. Absolutely loved the first season, which I stumbled upon by chance about 14-15 months ago. I don't know why but I find it quite irritating the new dubbed voices. I preferred the European dubbed voices as the cockney twang doesn't suit. Still enjoying it, but don't know why they created this unexpected bug bear.

Def a thumbs up from me regarding season 1. Very fast paced.

I plan on watching S2 at the weekend, in German with subtitles as I just can't stand dubbed shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Def a thumbs up from me regarding season 1. Very fast paced.

I plan on watching S2 at the weekend, in German with subtitles as I just can't stand dubbed shows.

I actually didn't mind the dubbed in season 1 as it was accent appropriate. Season 2 has them talking in a cockney accent while obviously living in Germany.

Advertisement