Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Every now and again someone comes her to post "Netflix is ****" or similar and I wonder do they think we're Netflix stans and they're trying to troll us. It so weird, just cancel it.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

Just rewatched peep show, still hilarious. Anyone else watching any other good ‘switch off’ comedies? Have watched all the Ricky Gervais ones and always sunny. Started watching spaced but not that impressed. I liked schitts creek too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Every now and again someone comes her to post "Netflix is ****" or similar and I wonder do they think we're Netflix stans and they're trying to troll us. It so weird, just cancel it.

If you're traipsing into a thread called "Netflix recommendations" to whine about how awful the service is, then yeah. Maybe not trolling but definitely attention seeking. Not like it's difficult to cancel ones sub

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Jimi H wrote: »
    Just rewatched peep show, still hilarious. Anyone else watching any other good ‘switch off’ comedies? Have watched all the Ricky Gervais ones and always sunny. Started watching spaced but not that impressed. I liked schitts creek too.

Myself and the missus have been on an easy viewing buzz. Friday Night Dinners, F is for Family and Arrest Development have been binged.

It’s off the wall but if you get the comedy you’ll adore it. The Limmy Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Came late to Peep Show, didn't really watch it as it aired in the UK.

Then watched it all a few years later. Hilarious.

Had not seen it in years again, then sat and watched an episode every night maybe about a year back, maybe less. Still as funny as ever. Really great comedy that many folk don't seem to have ever watched, if the people I chat to are a guide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭joeguevara

NIMAN wrote: »
    Came late to Peep Show, didn't really watch it as it aired in the UK.

Then watched it all a few years later. Hilarious.

Had not seen it in years again, then sat and watched an episode every night maybe about a year back, maybe less. Still as funny as ever. Really great comedy that many folk don't seem to have ever watched, if the people I chat to are a guide.

Absolute cracker. Definitely would have been a must watch for most blokes 20-40 when it aired in 2003. So many good characters with super Hans for me the best supporting actor. The situations that occurred were both the most cringey and hilarious in equal measure. Quality dipped slightly close to the end but most episodes are classics. I’m not sure how I really feel the way it finished but i suppose the inevitability of it was clear. I think one episode has been dropped from Netflix due to a blackface scene, even with Jeremy saying that it feels wrong. It’s one of my go to shows on Netflix and have binge watched the whole thing about 3 or 4 times. Never gets old. Their sketch show had some belly laughs but was a failure. Jeremy pops up as bit characters in comedy shows, e.g fresh meat. Mark is a regular on panel shows and love his dry wit.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

+1 for The Lovebirds, pure crap story but really well made, genuinely funny and brilliant two leads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Is Fear City worth a watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

joeguevara wrote: »
    Absolute cracker. Definitely would have been a must watch for most blokes 20-40 when it aired in 2003. So many good characters with super Hans for me the best supporting actor. The situations that occurred were both the most cringey and hilarious in equal measure. Quality dipped slightly close to the end but most episodes are classics. I’m not sure how I really feel the way it finished but i suppose the inevitability of it was clear. I think one episode has been dropped from Netflix due to a blackface scene, even with Jeremy saying that it feels wrong. It’s one of my go to shows on Netflix and have binge watched the whole thing about 3 or 4 times. Never gets old. Their sketch show had some belly laughs but was a failure. Jeremy pops up as bit characters in comedy shows, e.g fresh meat. Mark is a regular on panel shows and love his dry wit.

They reunited a few years ago for another sitcom on Channel 4, Back. Although it only got one series it was quite good. This last few years C4 seem to have a bad habit of producing great comedy shows and then binning them after 2 or 3 series.
    Year of the Rabbit for instance.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Not a good example given it was renewed in February! Must give this a watch.

I imagine getting Matt Berry back might delay filming as well as that other thing that's been delaying productions worldwide.

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    Not a good example given it was renewed in February! Must give this a watch.

I imagine getting Matt Berry back might delay filming as well as that other thing that's been delaying productions worldwide.
    Great news :) Now if only they will do the same for Toast of London.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,610 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Great news :) Now if only they will do the same for Toast of London.
    I'd say Matt Berry is fairly busy atm, he is terrific in what we do in the shadows, he has me in stitches with the smallest things in that show even the way he said "new York citttty"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

The only bad thing about Peep Show is that when I try to retell funny jokes or instances, I can't capture the humor.

I loved Mark's obsession with Soviet Union in the first seasons, wished they had kept it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

After finishing 166 episodes, Modern Family has got to be one of my favourite comedies. Some great LOL moments. Is that it or is there another series planned?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

After finishing 166 episodes, Modern Family has got to be one of my favourite comedies. Some great LOL moments. Is that it or is there another series planned?

I don't know what it is but that's a show that I was too late in watching. I used to not like British comedy at all but over time it's grown on me. If I had watched Modern Family back in school, I'd have loved it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,788 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Season 2 of The Unbrella Academy was better than season 1 I thought.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Could never ever get into Modern Family. Jokes telegraphed a mile off and they were all so smug.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Season 1 as s much better than 2. But neither compare to Gomorra which isn’t on Netflix, but is one of the best gangster series you will ever watch. Naples is an interesting city but you wouldn’t be booking a trip to it after watching Gomorra.

Where can I watch Gomorra?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

fin12 wrote: »

Think there's a H in that name Fin

Gomorrah

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

fin12 wrote: »

SKY

• Advertisement

The Night Clerk
    After a charming guest checks in, a voyeuristic hotel clerk on the autism spectrum becomes a suspect in a murder that takes place during his shift.

Mystery Lab season 1
    Host Felipe Castanhari explores science, history, mysteries and marvels, uncovering mind-blowing facts with help from his lab buddies.

Malibu Rescue: The Next Wave
    As summer returns to Malibu, Team Flounder takes to the beach to host -- and unexpectedly compete in -- the International Beachmaster Competition.

Sam Jay: 3 In The Morning
    Comedian and "Saturday Night Live" writer Sam Jay serves up fresh takes on relationships, travel nightmares, the audacity of white people and more.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Ikozma wrote: »
    I've just realised how utterly crap netflix is, I've had it a few years now but I can honestly count on one hand the amount of genuinely good shows I've seen on it, every wkend I search through it and end up not watching anything, I dunno why I have it
    I think getting rid of the ratings after Amy schumers show bombed doesn't help the customers find good material.
    Amazon has some good shows but terribly catalogued.

The only bad thing about Peep Show is that when I try to retell funny jokes or instances, I can't capture the humor.

I loved Mark's obsession with Soviet Union in the first seasons, wished they had kept it up.
    The Yalta summit with the cyberman :D and him buying the FDR doll and telling the shop assistant 'It's for my nephew... he's a big fan of the New Deal'

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭mrbrightside11

Great show, one of my favourites too! Season 11 is the last (up to season 7 available on Netflix)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭joeguevara

They reunited a few years ago for another sitcom on Channel 4, Back. Although it only got one series it was quite good. This last few years C4 seem to have a bad habit of producing great comedy shows and then binning them after 2 or 3 series.

Was that the one about after a father dies an unknown son comes to the village and wreaks havoc especially for his brother mainly centering on the pub that the family owns? I actually really liked it and had forgotten about it. Was hoping for a second series.

joeguevara wrote: »
    Was that the one about after a father dies an unknown son comes to the village and wreaks havoc especially for his brother mainly centering on the pub that the family owns? I actually really liked it and had forgotten about it. Was hoping for a second series.
    That's it. They were more or less playing their Peep Show roles. Geoffrey McGivern's character had some great moments, esp his comment about people who buy vinyl :D

It was set-up for a second series as well, as it ended on a bit of a cliffhanger.
    C4 can be feckers for dropping good shows with no reason given after 1 season. Dead Pixels, would be another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

joe40 wrote: »
    This is simply a warning; avoid "line of duty" the Netflix movie with Aaron Eckhart. ( Not the excellent TV show)

I have never seen such massive plotholes before.

There's a nice bird in it though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

That's it. They were more or less playing their Peep Show roles. Geoffrey McGivern's character had some great moments, esp his comment about people who buy vinyl :D

It was set-up for a second series as well, as it ended on a bit of a cliffhanger.
    C4 can be feckers for dropping good shows with no reason given after 1 season. Dead Pixels, would be another.

Series 2 of Dead Pixels supposedly out at the end of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I wasn't sure we needed to know the origin story for Nurse Ratched, but I'm looking forward to this now. At the very least, Paulson should deliver (as usual).

• Advertisement

Anelka: Misunderstood
    Inscrutable, incomparable or both? Famed French footballer Nicolas Anelka's controversial legacy is explored in this in-depth documentary

World's Most Wanted season 1
    Suspected of heinous crimes, they've avoided capture despite massive rewards and global investigations. A docuseries profiling the world's most wanted.

added

Advertisement