Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    I wasn't sure we needed to know the origin story for Nurse Ratched, but I'm looking forward to this now. At the very least, Paulson should deliver (as usual).

Why do they put a famous literary and onscreen character and think they can just invent an origin story, in a completely OTT way and different genre? Make a show, inspired by that character, change the name and don't try and link it. This kind of carry on is frustrating to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,735 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I watched Fear City (about the fall of the Mafia in New York) over the last couple of night,

Really enjoyed it and it was easy watching ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Why do they put a famous literary and onscreen character and think they can just invent an origin story, in a completely OTT way and different genre? Make a show, inspired by that character, change the name and don't try and link it. This kind of carry on is frustrating to see.
    Because it works. People will watch the trailer because of the name alone. It's free (or nearly free, depending on licensing deals) marketing. Not that I approve of it, but you asked why.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Why not? I don't have a problem with the idea of this. Oftentimes there are supporting characters in films that make you wonder how they became the people they are, what led them to where they are in the film, or book. This particular one doesn't look terribly appealing to me, the style seems too camp for such a character, but generally speaking I don't see the issue with it. Worst case scenario is it's bad and you can stop watching. Best case scenario it ads something to the existing character/film that you liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭joeguevara

There has been great examples of this from the Big Screen and also small screen. Really liked Bates Motel which was the early days of Norman Bates as a teenager and his mother. Batman begins is one of the best Batman films. Joker too. Now there are some howlers but have no issue against it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Without this M.O., we wouldn't have had Hannibal!

Without this M.O., we wouldn't have had Hannibal!
    The original author wrote that. It's not some Franken-franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I wasn't sure we needed to know the origin story for Nurse Ratched, but I'm looking forward to this now. At the very least, Paulson should deliver (as usual).

Don't like the over stylised look, they've also appear to have made a normal everyday unpleasant/sadist into some kind of super villian.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

mikhail wrote: »
    The original author wrote that. It's not some Franken-franchise.
    The TV series, not the film. Which is quite different.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I watched Fear City (about the fall of the Mafia in New York) over the last couple of night,

Really enjoyed it and it was easy watching ,

So rushed, it needed a couple of more episodes to flesh it out. Its the biggest case brought against the mafia, all 5 families at once. Deserved more

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    The TV series, not the film. Which is quite different.
    Fair enough. I thought the series was stylish and well cast, but it suffers from the narrative drought of so many prestige TV series: the plot advances one quantum per episode, and it winds up being 90% brooding and no payoff. Which, now that I think about it, is exactly what I expect from creatively bankrupt but technically capable people reanimating the rotten corpse of someone else's work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

My immediate reaction watching something like "Ratched" is that more often than not, shows with a clear villain as its central character have commitment or tonal issues. They can't resist the urge to contextualise - or even justify - the heinous actions of the ostensibly evil lead; the standard method of such being to make every other character inexplicably worse - or just inanely stupid. For the quintessential example, see "Dexter".

rob316 wrote: »
    So rushed, it needed a couple of more episodes to flesh it out. Its the biggest case brought against the mafia, all 5 families at once. Deserved more

To be honest I found that a nice change
    Normally Netflix drag it out an constantly repeat what you have heard in the pervious episode, .,

joeguevara wrote: »
    There has been great examples of this from the Big Screen and also small screen. Really liked Bates Motel which was the early days of Norman Bates as a teenager and his mother. Batman begins is one of the best Batman films. Joker too. Now there are some howlers but have no issue against it.

Bates Motel was great ,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Now I'm trying to think of my favourite examples of spin off shows. My thoughts when it comes to this stuff, remakes or movies/shows based on existing IP is that the origin of the source material has little impact on the quality of the actual show, there are far more important factors that need to be taken into account.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Now I'm trying to think of my favourite examples of spin off shows. My thoughts when it comes to this stuff, remakes or movies/shows based on existing IP is that the origin of the source material has little impact on the quality of the actual show, there are far more important factors that need to be taken into account.

Happy Days at one stage had the record for the highest number of spin off shows including Mork and Mindy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

According to Letterboxd, my favourite recent example is Creed which is unfortunately not on Netflix so can't be used as a recommendation.

I do think it perfectly backs up what I said above. Ryan Coogler + Michael B Jordan + underdog sports story = interesting movie worth checking out. It just so happens to be based on a character from an existing franchise/IP.

If I was a fan of the whole Ryan Murphy/Sarah Paulson/American Horror Story world then I'd be keen to check out Ratched

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

mikhail wrote: »
    Because it works. People will watch the trailer because of the name alone. It's free (or nearly free, depending on licensing deals) marketing. Not that I approve of it, but you asked why.

It was more a rhetorical question. We all know the only reason anyone makes anything in Hollywood is money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

fin12 wrote: »
    Where can I watch Gomorra?

I watched it on a now tv free month of their sky entertainment pass in their on demand menu. It was made for sky Italy so it’s difficult to get. It was 4 series made in the early 2010s so dunno if Sky Atlantic even fo reruns. It is superb but vicious, it makes sopranos look slow and tame.

Think there's a H in that name Fin

Gomorrah

Have seen both names used. Mostly it’s listed with the h at end, but from what I remember the word in the opening credits spells out as ‘Gomorra’.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

gmisk wrote: »
    I'd say Matt Berry is fairly busy atm, he is terrific in what we do in the shadows, he has me in stitches with the smallest things in that show even the way he said "new York citttty"

Haven't seen WWDITS TV show yet, really enjoyed the film with Jermaine Clement though

From IT Crowd to present day Matt Berry has made a career from essentially playing the same character just in a different environment, and I bloody love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I watched it on a now tv free month of their sky entertainment pass in their on demand menu. It was made for sky Italy so it’s difficult to get. It was 4 series made in the early 2010s so dunno if Sky Atlantic even fo reruns. It is superb but vicious, it makes sopranos look slow and tame.

there's also another italian series around the same subject and by the same author called ZerZerZero on Amazon Prime.
    I started it last night but not sure if i'm in the mood for that LOL

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    there's also another italian series around the same subject and by the same author called ZerZerZero on Amazon Prime.
    I started it last night but not sure if i'm in the mood for that LOL

Oh had not heard about that, tho I haven’t ever watched amazon prime. It was probably a big prize for them considering the success of Gomorrah. I liked suburra also especially season 1, but it was light compared to Gomorrah.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Excellent series but it wasn't just made in the early 2010s - first season was in 2014, then 2016, 2017 and 2019 with S5 hopefully in 2021 so we're still getting more.
    One of the best crime series ever made but, much like 'The Wire' was a terrible advertisement for Baltimore, this is a dreadful advertisement for Naples.

Jackass 2 has been added and still find it absolutely hilarious. The al quaeda prank still doubles me over. Not for everyone, but my god it’s funny. One thing that I love is Johnny Knoxville, always put himself forward for the most dangerous stunts.

ixoy wrote: »
    Excellent series but it wasn't just made in the early 2010s - first season was in 2014, then 2016, 2017 and 2019 with S5 hopefully in 2021 so we're still getting more.
    One of the best crime series ever made but, much like 'The Wire' was a terrible advertisement for Baltimore, this is a dreadful advertisement for Naples.

Now I’m not as crazy about the wire, partly because I found it difficult to follow the dialogue in it, but the story in it is very realistic to what is happening still today in that city. Ok it’s only in certain areas of the city, same in many cities, but there and other cities in US is just crazy violent in gangland areas.
    Gomorrah, as much as I like it, is not showing an accurate picture of modern day Naples. The gang situation is not as extreme as the tv show. But in Baltimore it is.
    I love these shows and wanna see new series about places like Honduras, El Salvador, Mexico as so far it’s Narcos isn’t great, South Africa, all these crazy places.
    Another one of the best series I have watched is season 1 of underbelly. Melbourne gangland around the 2000, fantastic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Rain season 3 (is this worth watching ?)
    Six years after a rain-borne virus wipes out most of Scandinavia's population, two siblings join a band of young survivors seeking safety -- and answers.

Danger Close: The Battle of Long Tan
    Inexperienced troops are thrown into battle in South Vietnam with only the mates beside them and the grit within them to survive. Based on a true story.

Ever After High season 5
    The kids of fairy-tale characters attend a school with two cliques: those who accept their fairy-tale destinies and those who want to write their own

Nasha Natasha
    Concert and behind-the-scenes footage capture life on tour for Uruguayan sensation Natalia Oreiro as she performs for packed crowds throughout Russia

The Seven Deadly Sins season 4
    When a kingdom is taken over by tyrants, the deposed princess begins a quest to find a disbanded group of evil knights to help take back her realm.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Danger Close is a great war movie. Vietnam from the Australian/NZ perspective.

The Rain is watchable but pretty terrible. Season 1 was OK, but Season 2 is like a post apocalyptic Eastenders.

Gomorrah, as much as I like it, is not showing an accurate picture of modern day Naples. The gang situation is not as extreme as the tv show. But in Baltimore it is.

Having been to that neighbourhood, It is total *hitsville. A little bit further south in N'Dranghetta territory there is huge mafia presence in every little town. Once south of Rome Italy is total Mafia country. Having lived down there, I can attest that the movies don't dramatise the reality in my opinion.

I can remember once instance where a new mayor was elected in a town and in his victory speech he spoke about how the mafia would no longer be tolerated in the town, the next day he was found shot dead in the square.

So much drugs come in through Italy, my feeling is things are worse then depicted in the likes of Gomorrah. The N'Dranghetta's making over 100billion a year in revenue. Probably half of Irelands GDP in 2020

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Homelander wrote: »

The Rain is watchable but pretty terrible. Season 1 was OK, but Season 2 is like a post apocalyptic Eastenders.

i guess i was hoping for the same quality as Dark

Advertisement