Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Finished Giri/Haji.

Decent show, the final episode was ridiculous though. Kind of ruined it for me. And as for the interpretive dance segment, wtaf!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Good few on Reddit have cancelled their subscription over this

I mean, what the hell are they thinking?

32179508-0-image-a-103_1597931255883.jpg

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-53846419

That's just wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

peteeeed wrote: »
    whats leaving in September

September 14th, 2020:

Happy Valley (2016)

Excellent show. A must watch for those who haven't seen it.

Sarah Lancashire gives maybe the best performance I've ever seen by an actress in a British Drama

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

Excellent show. A must watch for those who haven't seen it.

Sarah Lancashire gives maybe the best performance I've ever seen by an actress in a British Drama

The first season was far better than the second though.

The first season was far better than the second though.

Haven't seen it in a good while. Might rewatch it before it goes in a couple of weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Is it just me of is netflix getting worse by the month

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Ikozma wrote: »

Just you, same as it was when you posted something similar a few weeks ago

Yeah I've tried a few times a day to find something to watch and end up just going onto YouTube for a bit instead. Very little of interest on if for me at all these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,002 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Well it's certainly filling up with "reality" TV more now than ever, so I'd say it has disimproved from that point of view, but same can be said for virtually every television or streaming service, they're all at it.

Now if you'll excuse me, my favourite show is on "ow, my balls"

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I agree it’s been quite poor lately, only for the fall I would have nothing to watch on it.

I have a subscription with sky movies through now tv, and the selection of movies on there is way better than Netflix. I was going to cancel it cause it was 15 a month but then they offered it to me for 9 a month for 3 months so I kept it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

fin12 wrote: »
    I agree it’s been quite poor lately, only for the fall I would have nothing to watch on it.

I have a subscription with sky movies through now tv, and the selection of movies on there is way better than Netflix. I was going to cancel it cause it was 15 a month but then they offered it to me for 9 a month for 3 months so I kept it.

I am seeing this too! For example, number 5 on the top ten for watched in Ireland is Bee movie! Jesus Wept!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

job seeker wrote: »
    I am seeing this too! For example, number 5 on the top ten for watched in Ireland is Bee movie! Jesus Wept!! :rolleyes:

That would be the children of Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Lucifer: Season 5 Part 1 Tom Ellis returns as the original fallen angel, who has given up his throne in the underworld for the underbelly of Los Angeles, where he helps the cops to punish criminals. This penultimate season sees him head for home, leading to some unexpected family complications.

Hoops: Season 1
    This new adult animation follows a hot-headed, foul-mouthed high school basketball coach who thinks turning around his awful team will take him to the big leagues. Jake Johnson stars.

Dark Forces (mexican)
    In search of his sister, a renegade criminal seeks answers at a sordid hotel where he encounters a sinister guest and romances a mysterious waitress

The Sleepover
    What do you do if your parents are kidnapped by a crew of international thieves? You begin a wild overnight adventure -- complete with spy gear.

Rust Valley Restorers season 3
    Old-school auto collector Mike Hall, his pal Avery Shoaf and son Connor Hall go the extra mile to restore retro cars -- and hopefully turn a profit.

added

High Score (documentary series on retro gaming) is very good so far

An easy watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

High Score (documentary series on retro gaming) is very good so far

An easy watch

I was just going to post this!,i watched 4 episodes last night and its really good,very well made with lots of nostalgia for kids who grew up in the 80's and 90's

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

peteeeed wrote: »

Hoops: Season 1
    This new adult animation follows a hot-headed, foul-mouthed high school basketball coach who thinks turning around his awful team will take him to the big leagues. Jake Johnson stars.

Have seen several reviews for this. All awful. I know there's decent animation for adults out there but I wish Netflix and other networks would stop with this kind of ****e and promote things that aren't all basically family guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Denny61

Unforgotten.one of the best British TV crime series ever made....you won't be disappointed..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I've had Netflix for about a year now, to compensate for giving up Sky Movies. The movie selection has been very poor on Netflix for all that time, with their own films in particular being average at best. But the TV series more than make up for the poor films on offer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Watched The Power of Greyskull last night. Decent documentary about the rise and fall of He-Man. Quite interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭deisedude

Netflix is likely to be poor for the foreseeable future like every other channel and streaming service.

Production on tv shows and films stalled for months worldwide due to COVID so they are probably scraping to buy content of older shows

• Advertisement

Denny61 wrote: »
    Unforgotten.one of the best British TV crime series ever made....you won't be disappointed..

Up there with Line of Duty?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Denny61 wrote: »

Loved this! Will have to rewatch it.

Started watching Sherlock. Wasn't sure about it at first as I can be a bit hot and cold towards Benedict Cumberbatch but he is brilliant in the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,090 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Watched The Power of Greyskull last night. Decent documentary about the rise and fall of He-Man. Quite interesting.

I watched the He-man episode of The Toys That Made Us. Similar content?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Watching Line of Duty at the moment. Just starting season 3. Its not been great so far. Watchable but not great. Does it get better

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

deisedude wrote: »
    Netflix is likely to be poor for the foreseeable future like every other channel and streaming service.

Production on tv shows and films stalled for months worldwide due to COVID so they are probably scraping to buy content of older shows

Yes I get that but what I’m going on about is films that would not be impacted by COVID. Old films.

Their film selection has always been poor this is nothing new.

What can’t they have Harry Potter, lord of the rings/ hobbit films, Christopher Nolan Batman films?

Can anyone recommend good old films on Netflix?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Yes I get that but what I’m going on about is films that would not be impacted by COVID. Old films.

What can’t they have Harry Potter, lord of the rings/ hobbit films, Christopher Nolan Batman films?

Because they don't have unlimited budget, and every film studio, distributor, and random bloke from the pub has decided that streaming services are where the money is at these days. So eg WB won't licence Netflix to have global rights for the Nolan Batman films because they'd rather keep that as something to entice people to whatever WB's streaming platform is. Same as Disney with MCU and Fox stuff, etc etc.

Tediously, this means probably having several streaming accounts in order to access what you want. (And, in all probability, the return of significant amounts of piracy as people tire of being expected to keep forking over more and more money for the same thing...)

In terms of "good films on Netflix", that's highly subjective. What sort of films do you enjoy? Do you have favourite directors, actors, genres?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Depends on what you're looking for really...

The Invitation
    Upgrade
    Safety Not Guaranteed
    The Imitation Game
    Blue Ruin
    Buster's Mal Heart
    Ferrie Bueller
    Supersonic - Oasis Documentary
    Long Time Running - Tragically Hip Documentary dealing with their last tour after singer Gord Downie's terminal cancer diagnosis and brain surgery
    Weiner - Documentary about ex congressman Anthony Weiner's run for NYC mayor
    Beetlejuice
    Ex Machina
    Dogtown and the Z Boys
    You Were Never Really Here
    Mean Streets
    Shirkers
    O Brother Where art Thou
    Hot Fuzz
    The Truman Show
    The Breakfast Club
    Being John Malkovich
    BlackkKlansman
    Inception
    Out of Sight
    The Martian
    The Jurassic Park Movies
    Kingsman
    The Endless
    Colossal
    The Visit
    No Country for Old Men

Up there with Line of Duty?

Well in different categories

Depends on what you're looking for really...

The Invitation
    Upgrade
    Safety Not Guaranteed
    The Imitation Game
    Blue Ruin
    Buster's Mal Heart
    Ferrie Bueller
    Supersonic - Oasis Documentary
    Long Time Running - Tragically Hip Documentary dealing with their last tour after singer Gord Downie's terminal cancer diagnosis and brain surgery
    Weiner - Documentary about ex congressman Anthony Weiner's run for NYC mayor
    Beetlejuice
    Ex Machina
    Dogtown and the Z Boys
    You Were Never Really Here
    Mean Streets
    Shirkers
    O Brother Where art Thou
    Hot Fuzz
    The Truman Show
    The Breakfast Club
    Being John Malkovich
    BlackkKlansman
    Inception
    Out of Sight
    The Martian
    The Jurassic Park Movies
    Kingsman
    The Endless
    Colossal
    The Visit
    No Country for Old Men
    Out of that list ....the invitation is brutal ..!!!

• Advertisement

oppiuy wrote: »
    Watching Line of Duty at the moment. Just starting season 3. Its not been great so far. Watchable but not great. Does it get better

If the jaw dropping ending of season 2, episode 1 doesn't grab you I'm not sure what will

It was that episode that made me a huge fan

Advertisement