Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,954 ✭✭✭✭GBX

fin12 wrote: »
    Yes I get that but what I’m going on about is films that would not be impacted by COVID. Old films.

Their film selection has always been poor this is nothing new.

What can’t they have Harry Potter, lord of the rings/ hobbit films, Christopher Nolan Batman films?

Can anyone recommend good old films on Netflix?

It's not just the slowdown in filming because of Covid. Sky has been hoovering up movie deals for years for their channels. Look at how they constantly change a channel to a specific series for a period. Anybody wanting to get in on that will have to pay top whack. While Netflix are not shy of money based on the amount of people using the service they also have to compete with Hulu, Apple TV, Amazon etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

You Were Never Really Here
    This blew me away. It's a bit reductive and obvious to compare, but it's better than Joker for me. Joachin Phoenix is, of course, amazing

Great list, cheers, will investigate the few I haven't seen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Denny61 wrote: »
    Out of that list ....the invitation is brutal ..!!!

I really enjoyed it. I thought the mounting sense of dread was handled really well.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Depends on what you're looking for really...

My contribution:

Thoroughbreds
    The Half Of It
    A Royal Affair
    Adult Life Skills
    I, Tonya (leaving VERY soon)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower
    Klaus
    13th
    Megamind
    Mudbound
    The Breadwinner
    October Sky
    Blue Jay
    Steel Magnolias
    Friday Night Lights
    Ex Machina
    Spotlight
    The Man From U.N.C.L.E.
    Missing Link
    Rango
    Begin Again
    Rise of The Guardians
    Eddie The Eagle
    Support The Girls
    The Land Before Time
    Intolerable Cruelty
    This Is Where I Leave You
    Tell Me Who I Am (documentary best watched with ZERO prior knowledge)
    Captain Fantastic
    Spy
    The Duff
    The Breaker Upperers
    The Edge of Seventeen
    Fighting With My Family
    Dumplin'
    Set It Up
    The Burial of Kojo
    Extra Ordinary
    Our Souls At Night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Didn't think I'd like Fighting with my family, but absolutely loved it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Didn't think I'd like Fighting with my family, but absolutely loved it

It's an easy watch, pretty entertaining without needing to pay close attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Rfrip

oppiuy wrote: »
    Watching Line of Duty at the moment. Just starting season 3. Its not been great so far. Watchable but not great. Does it get better

If you’ve got to season 3 and still find it not great then I wouldn’t bother anymore with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Watching Line of Duty at the moment. Just starting season 3. Its not been great so far. Watchable but not great. Does it get better

Seasons 2 and 3 are the best IMO (not seen season 5).

If you don’t like it after season 2 I'm not sure it’s for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Denny61 wrote: »
    Out of that list ....the invitation is brutal ..!!!

Is that the one where Logan Marshall Green attends his ex-wifes dinner party?

Thought that was a really solid film myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Homelander wrote: »
    Is that the one where Logan Marshall Green attends his ex-wifes dinner party?

Thought that was a really solid film myself.

That's the one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

13 Going 30 (2004 -Jennifer garner, mark ruffalo)
    When a geeky teen's birthday party goes awry and she makes a wish that she could be 30, she wakes up to discover she's flash-forwarded 17 years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Rfrip

peteeeed wrote: »
    13 Going 30 (2004 -Jennifer garner, mark ruffalo)
    When a geeky teen's birthday party goes awry and she makes a wish that she could be 30, she wakes up to discover she's flash-forwarded 17 years

A personal favourite of mine. Make of that what ye will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I haven't been a Gamer in over a decade but I'm still enjoying the retro gaming limited series High Score

There's something for everyone so far with episodes covering; the very early days of Gaming, Nintendo, RPG and I'm up now as far as the Sega episode

An easy watch for an episode a night

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Been watching a few episodes of Biohackers - a Sci-Fi/medical thriller series that's more fiction than science, as subtle as a sledgehammer and quite ridiculous, but for some reason strangely watchable. I'm getting "Revenge" vibes from it, which is not a bad thing. It's also very glossy and expensive looking for a German series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

If the 2nd didn't knock your socks off then the 3rd and subsequent series are unlikely to. 2+3 are far more intertwined than the rest of the series. Mild spoiler:
    The 3rd does build to a tense climax

By the Grace of God (french)
    Three survivors who were abused by the same priest as children unite to seek justice against the Catholic Church for concealing and enabling his crimes.

Fish Tank
    The life of a hot-tempered teen outcast takes an unexpected turn when her mother brings home a handsome and mysterious boyfriend.

Winter's Bone (highy recommend )
    In this unflinching noir drama, a resilient teen goes on the trail of her missing, drug-dealing father when his absence threatens the family's safety

Wuthering Heights (2011)
    The youthful love between two English adolescents becomes an obsessive passion that wreaks havoc as the pair navigates adult life.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 48 schofferhofer

saw a good movie last night. Searching. Nice thriller and worth a watch. Shot quite differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

The lack of Chevy Chase movies is shocking !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I watched the He-man episode of The Toys That Made Us. Similar content?

A lot more in-depth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Watched the long shot Last night
    Seth rogan plays seth rogan AGAIN.
    Sure as Tom cruise will be running unnecessarily or brad put munching with his mouth open like a slob , good old Seth will have some drug use in his movies....he has to fill the void for his lack of charisma, talent and personality with something I suppose.
    Charlize does what she can with the Roll and to be honest I actually enjoyed It.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,238 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Sure as Tom cruise will be running unnecessarily or brad put munching with his mouth open like a slob , good old Seth will have some drug use in his movies....he has to fill the void for his lack of charisma, talent and personality with something I suppose.
    Charlize does what she can with the Roll and to be honest I actually enjoyed It.

Thought that was vey enjoyable, even though Rogan was playing his usual role I thought there was very good chemistry between the two of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭munster87

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I haven't been a Gamer in over a decade but I'm still enjoying the retro gaming limited series High Score

There's something for everyone so far with episodes covering; the very early days of Gaming, Nintendo, RPG and I'm up now as far as the Sega episode

An easy watch for an episode a night

Does Billy Mitchell make an appearance? Related topic, The King of Kong is a fantastic doc about the battle for high scores in arcade video games, mostly focused on Donkey Kong. Pretty sure it’s on Youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Billy Mitchell can’t be beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Bowlardo wrote: »

I kinda like him at times, but he really is obsessed with drug use in his films.

I See You
    As he searches for a missing child, a small-town detective uncovers a malicious presence lurking in the crevices of his family's already broken home.

Trinkets
    A grieving teen finds an unexpected connection with two classmates at her new high school after they all land in the same Shoplifters Anonymous group.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭McGrath5

In this unflinching noir drama, a resilient teen goes on the trail of her missing, drug-dealing father when his absence threatens the family's safety

added

Thanks for the recommendation, watched this last night and it did not disappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

The lack of Chevy Chase movies is shocking !!!

The less Chevy Chase the better

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I finished Immigration Nation, highly recommend. Absolutely essential viewing, heartbreaking and eye opening look at the immigration policies of the USA. Each episode concentrates on a different part of the process.

Really 10/10, the best docu series I've seen in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Porthallian

I See You
    As he searches for a missing child, a small-town detective uncovers a malicious presence lurking in the crevices of his family's already broken home.

Anyone watched this yet? Getting cracking reviews and sounds right up my street. Probably give it a go at the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Fish Tank
    The life of a hot-tempered teen outcast takes an unexpected turn when her mother brings home a handsome and mysterious boyfriend.

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Thanks for the recommendation, watched this last night and it did not disappoint.

If you like this style, Blue Ruin is another low-key but excellent film.
    Fish Tank is well worth a watch as well. Fassbender is brilliant in it.

Advertisement