Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Thanks for the recommendation, watched this last night and it did not disappoint.

Debra Granik also directed Leave No Trace which is on Netflix too, I think. Personally I didn't like it as much as Winter's Bone, but lots of people did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Debra Granik also directed Leave No Trace which is on Netflix too, I think. Personally I didn't like it as much as Winter's Bone, but lots of people did.
    When I saw it was on Netflix I started to watch it, but realised I had already seen it! The acting is first rate, but the story is a bit stale. Similar set-up, but way different genre; Hunt for the Wilderpeople. Excellent film.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Rising Phoenix
    Elite athletes and insiders reflect on the Paralympic Games and examine how they impact a global understanding of disability, diversity and excellence

Her Mother's Killer Season 1
    Nearly 30 years after her mom's murder, a political strategist launches a calculated plan to ruin the Colombian presidential candidate who killed her

Million Dollar Beach House Season 1
    The competition is fierce -- and the drama undeniable -- as a group of young and hungry agents try to seal the deal on luxury listings in the Hamptons.

Venom
    A reporter battles a mad scientist in a fight for his life after merging with a snarky alien symbiote that gives him remarkable superpowers.

added

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Anyone watched this yet? Getting cracking reviews and sounds right up my street. Probably give it a go at the weekend

Re. I See you* - Very good I thought. Seems to be billed as a horror which is not accurate. More of a clever thriller really. I enjoyed it bar Helen Hunt's distracting face work.

* always annoys me when people quote a post that doesn't include the title of what is being discussed and I'm scratching my head wondering which Film/TV Show is this? Particularly in a thread that covers many different titles. My own fault for my aging brain not being able to keep up anymore I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

mewso wrote: »
    I enjoyed it bar Helen Hunt's distracting face work.

This is starting to be a major distraction when watching movies with ageing stars. We looked at The Company You Keep at the weekend - not a great movie - and the amount of plastic surgery Julie Christie has had means you can't concentrate on her acting at all because you're too fascinated by how weird her face is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Re. I See you* - Very good I thought. Seems to be billed as a horror which is not accurate. More of a clever thriller really. I enjoyed it bar Helen Hunt's distracting face work.

* always annoys me when people quote a post that doesn't include the title of what is being discussed and I'm scratching my head wondering which Film/TV Show is this? Particularly in a thread that covers many different titles. My own fault for my aging brain not being able to keep up anymore I suppose.

Really appreciate the response, and you've given me even more reason to watch it now. Wouldn't be a massive horror fan, but the "detective seeks missing child" thriller genre produces some great movies, Gone baby Gone, Prisoners etc. come to mind.

You're not alone with the aging brain, as I first thought you meant my post didn't have the title of the movie in it :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

This is starting to be a major distraction when watching movies with ageing stars. We looked at The Company You Keep at the weekend - not a great movie - and the amount of plastic surgery Julie Christie has had means you can't concentrate on her acting at all because you're too fascinated by how weird her face is.

The irony in this film is that while Helen Hunt is playing the mother of a teenage son based on her current age (57) she might just get away with it (she was stunning back in the day imo and may well have aged quite well without interference) but add the plastic surgery to the mix and I think it actually makes her look older and less believable as said mother of teen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

PsychoPete wrote: »
    The less Chevy Chase the better

Fletch and Spies like Us are okay, Hot tub time machine less so

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Loved Three Amigos.

It is the case of an actor who got caught up with heroin but was such a cnut no one seemed to want to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Sleepover is passable family film, Long Kiss Goodnight homage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I really enjoyed Hot Tub Time Machine but I don't think he's in it enough to call it a Chevy Chase film.

If one was looking for a CC fix I would recommend Community which I think is still on Netflix.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed Hot Tub Time Machine but I don't think he's in it enough to call it a Chevy Chase film.

If one was looking for a CC fix I would recommend Community which I think is still on Netflix.

Yes Community is on Netflix. After reading rave reviews I gave it a go. Didn't like it at all. (Premise is a guy pretends to be able to speak Spanish and is tutoring a group of oddballs in university).

Another series that I just thought was rubbish but everyone else was saying it was amazing is Schitts Creek with the Dad from American Pie. I gave it 4 seasons so its not as if I just watched one or 2 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Denny61

Totally agree..community is utter garbage ..didn't laugh once....don't waste your time @!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,620 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Excellent show. A must watch for those who haven't seen it.

Sarah Lancashire gives maybe the best performance I've ever seen by an actress in a British Drama
    There is still supposed to be a new series in the works.
    It's a fantastic show.

Denny61 wrote: »
    Totally agree..community is utter garbage ..didn't laugh once....don't waste your time @!!

I thought the first three seasons were brilliant, 4 was mixed and I never finished 5. Took me a couple of episodes to get into but I loved it. The Fried Chicken/Goodfellas episode in season 1 is where it really clicked with me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

joeguevara wrote: »
    Yes Community is on Netflix. After reading rave reviews I gave it a go. Didn't like it at all. (Premise is a guy pretends to be able to speak Spanish and is tutoring a group of oddballs in university).

Another series that I just thought was rubbish but everyone else was saying it was amazing is Schitts Creek with the Dad from American Pie. I gave it 4 seasons so its not as if I just watched one or 2 episodes.

That might be where and how Community starts in its first 3 or 4 episodes, but it's definitely not where it goes. One of those comedy shows that grows its legs over time and slowly sheds its initial formula.

I enjoyed Schitts Creek as well but I find it baffling that someone would sit through 4 seasons of something they didn't like.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,238 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Loved Three Amigos.

I recently saw an estate agent use the word 'Infamous' in an online ad to describe the locality they were trying to sell the house in and all I could think of was that film. I hoped for their sake it was a Three Amigos reference but I think they genuinely made the same mistake as Martin Short's character in the film with regards what the word actually means :D

Re-watched it recently, possibley on Amazon Prime and it still hols up pretty well.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I recently saw an estate agent use the word 'Infamous' in an online ad to describe the locality they were trying to sell the house in and all I could think of was that film. I hoped for their sake it was a Three Amigos reference but I think they genuinely made the same mistake as Martin Short's character in the film with regards what the word actually means :D

Re-watched it recently, possibley on Amazon Prime and it still hols up pretty well.

Its when your more than famous. This guy El Guapo He's not just famous. He's in-famous.

Loved when they shot the burning bush.

Three amazing comedy actors.

Mickeroo wrote: »

It was on Netflix for a while but it's gone again afaik. Rewatched it again recently as well with the kids and it is still great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Same here. You can click on the white arrow/blue box icon after the quotes user's name to get back towards the original context.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

tricky D wrote: »
    Same here. You can click on the white arrow/blue box icon after the quotes user's name to get back towards the original context.

:eek: That's one for the "I bet you didn't know that " thread!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I only got reminded of it recently.

//ot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

tricky D wrote: »
    :eek: That's one for the "I bet you didn't know that " thread!!

Taken from the "How can I prevent a whole load of people from having to go searching through a link, where I can save them all the hassle by adding the info in myself?...oh, wait a minute, I've answered my own question" thread.
    0 views. 6,307 thumbs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Chevy Chase is a legend..

Brief cameo in Vacation, which is another addition to the National Lampoon series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Yes Community is on Netflix. After reading rave reviews I gave it a go. Didn't like it at all.
    Denny61 wrote: »

Shocked-Troy-Walks-Into-Fire-With-Pizza-Community.gif

Ip Man 4: The Finale
    Ip Man travels to San Francisco with his son and wrestles with tensions between martial arts masters and his star student, Bruce Lee.

The Bridge Curse (Mandarin)
    A group of university students decides to test an urban legend about the ghost of a female student that haunts a campus bridge.

added

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

'Aggretsuko' - Season 3 - also added! How can you not inform people of this animated series about a repressed red panda whose only outlet to vent her frustrations is karoke death metal?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Chevy Chase is a legend..

Brief cameo in Vacation, which is another addition to the National Lampoon series.

They should have a day where they remove all content on Netflix and replace it with the full Chevy Chase catalogue. People would love it !!!

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    'Aggretsuko' - Season 3 - also added! How can you not inform people of this animated series about a repressed red panda whose only outlet to vent her frustrations is karoke death metal?

it wasn't on one site at 8:10m and my other site is down , thats why :)

EgaMiX9WAAApZTF?format=jpg&name=900x900

Advertisement