Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Not on Netflix but I did see the Memoirs of an Invisible Man is on Prime, and seeing as we're talking Chevy Chase, I was wondering if it's any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Not on Netflix but I did see the Memoirs of an Invisible Man is on Prime, and seeing as we're talking Chevy Chase, I was wondering if it's any good.

5/5

It was a very difficult production apparently with Chevy and director John Carpenter clashing frequently but I think it turned out great. A great cast featuring Micheal McKean

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Chevy Chase is a legend..

Brief cameo in Vacation, which is another addition to the National Lampoon series.

Chevy Chase is infamous for being a complete arsehole to everyone around him on set.

In-famous is where you're MORE than famous. He's not just famous for being an arsehole, he's IN-famous for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Chevy Chase is infamous for being a complete arsehole to everyone around him on set.

In-famous is where you're MORE than famous. He's not just famous for being an arsehole, he's IN-famous for it.

Does that make him UN-funny?

He is the Hollywood laugh master

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭sheroman01

After re-watching Lost in Translation (not for everyone, but I love it!), I then moved onto Marriage Story. I really wasn't intrigued by this movie but said I'd give it a try. Ended up loving it. It's akin to Lost in Translation on some ways, but the acting is honestly excellent. The writing and directing just made the movie flow seamlessly and felt so real. Would recommend for sure.

Also, finally got around to watching Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (in the cinema actually, not sure if still on Netflix?) - again, I can understand if some didn't like it, but I enjoyed it. Not amazing, but a good watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Sleepover is passable family film, Long Kiss Goodnight homage?

It's great fun, watched it with the kids expecting it to be background noise for me but had plenty to draw my attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,401 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I don’t know if I’m missing out on an in joke or something but infamy doesn’t mean more than famous, it means famous for an evil or negative reason

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,238 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Akrasia wrote: »
    I don’t know if I’m missing out on an in joke or something but infamy doesn’t mean more than famous, it means famous for an evil or negative reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

One of the best serial killer interviews I’ve ever seen, the Bernard Giles one with Piers Morgan.

Given real insight into the mind of a serial killer and how they are able to go down that road and just how utterly scary and vulnerable everyone is to this type of person. They view their victims as objects.

It’s rare for a serial killer to be so honest, most just lie and protest their innocence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

fin12 wrote: »
    One of the best serial killer interviews I’ve ever seen, the Bernard Giles one with Piers Morgan.

Given real insight into the mind of a serial killer and how they are able to go down that road and just how utterly scary and vulnerable everyone is to this type of person. They view their victims as objects.

It’s rare for a serial killer to be so honest, most just lie and protest their innocence.

who's interviewing who? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Cobra Kai: Season 1 to 2
    This hugely entertaining sequel to The Karate Kid sees Ralph Macchio and William Zabka reprise their roles from the 1980s sports classic as arch-rivals Daniel LaRusso and Johnny Lawrence. Several decades older, with the events of the 1984 All Valley Karate Tournament a distant memory, Daniel LaRusso (Ralph Macchio) lives with his beautiful family, while running a successful string of car dealerships, and Lawrence (William Zabka), whose life has taken a rocky turn, seeks redemption by reopening the infamous Cobra Kai karate dojo, promising to teach local kids how to fight with “a method of fighting your pansy-ass generation desperately needs”. Originally a YouTube Original series, it’s now moving to Netflix with a third season on the way.

Unknown Origins
    A very chiseled but somber detective must find a serial killer who leaves clues that only his mentor's nerdy comics-loving son can decipher.

All Together Now
    An optimistic, talented teen clings to a huge secret: She's homeless and living on a bus. When tragedy strikes, can she learn to accept a helping hand?

Death in Paradise season 8
    Scotland Yard Detective Inspector Richard Poole is sent to the Caribbean island of Sainte Marie to solve a fellow policeman's murder.

added

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Venom was a decent watch, not gonna win any Oscars, but passed the time.

I’m looking forward to watching Ip Man 4 too. Been a great series of films so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭p to the e

peteeeed wrote: »
    This hugely entertaining sequel to The Karate Kid sees Ralph Macchio and William Zabka reprise their roles from the 1980s sports classic as arch-rivals Daniel LaRusso and Johnny Lawrence. Several decades older, with the events of the 1984 All Valley Karate Tournament a distant memory, Daniel LaRusso (Ralph Macchio) lives with his beautiful family, while running a successful string of car dealerships, and Lawrence (William Zabka), whose life has taken a rocky turn, seeks redemption by reopening the infamous Cobra Kai karate dojo, promising to teach local kids how to fight with “a method of fighting your pansy-ass generation desperately needs”. Originally a YouTube Original series, it’s now moving to Netflix with a third season on the way.

Watched the first season a few years back and have been meaning to watch the second. It was a fun throwback and an enjoyable spin on the movies. Happy to see there's a third season scheduled.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Looking forward the watching Cobra Kai again. Loved it the first time.

Probably not but it would temper legendary status in my eyes.

Now, Bill Murrary is a legend...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭flasher0030

sheroman01 wrote: »
    After re-watching Lost in Translation (not for everyone, but I love it!), I then moved onto Marriage Story. I really wasn't intrigued by this movie but said I'd give it a try. Ended up loving it. It's akin to Lost in Translation on some ways, but the acting is honestly excellent. The writing and directing just made the movie flow seamlessly and felt so real. Would recommend for sure.

Also, finally got around to watching Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (in the cinema actually, not sure if still on Netflix?) - again, I can understand if some didn't like it, but I enjoyed it. Not amazing, but a good watch.

just didn’t get Lost in Translation. Saw it in the cinema whenever it came out. I just thought it was so boring, and it just left me with the feeling that the Bill Murray character was just a dirty old perv. It’s a long time since I saw it. I’m going to give it another go. I know the setting, ambience, music etc. were all praised. But for me, the storyline, dialogue, drama etc are more important.

Marriage Story is a right good movie. Only thing is can make a bit of uncomfortable watching if just yourself and your other half. Some of it cuts too close to the bone for many relationships. I’m a man, so was rooting for Adam Driver’s character. Thought Scarlett Johansonn’s character was annoying – domineering, thought she knew it all, condescending. But then there are women who will agree with her in that the male character was too lax and showed no ambition. Anyway, I think it sums up many real-life marriages. Man and woman have fun before kids. Kids come along. Woman gets all mature and serious. Man doesn’t move on in life as quick as woman, and still retains many teenage traits. Woman cannot understand and thinks that man is just a good-for-nothing with no ambition. Man thinks woman has turned into the domineering force in the relationship. And thinks of her as nagging.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

just didn’t get Lost in Translation. Saw it in the cinema whenever it came out. I just thought it was so boring, and it just left me with the feeling that the Bill Murray character was just a dirty old perv. It’s a long time since I saw it. I’m going to give it another go. I know the setting, ambience, music etc. were all praised. But for me, the storyline, dialogue, drama etc are more important.

Marriage Story is a right good movie. Only thing is can make a bit of uncomfortable watching if just yourself and your other half. Some of it cuts too close to the bone for many relationships. I’m a man, so was rooting for Adam Driver’s character. Thought Scarlett Johansonn’s character was annoying – domineering, thought she knew it all, condescending. But then there are women who will agree with her in that the male character was too lax and showed no ambition. Anyway, I think it sums up many real-life marriages. Man and woman have fun before kids. Kids come along. Woman gets all mature and serious. Man doesn’t move on in life as quick as woman, and still retains many teenage traits. Woman cannot understand and thinks that man is just a good-for-nothing with no ambition. Man thinks woman has turned into the domineering force in the relationship. And thinks of her as nagging.

I'd watch Scarlet Johansson in anything even that stupid robot thing from a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

peteeeed wrote: »

So much wrong with this concept with little to no point in making it.

And yet, they did. It's a bit dated in places, and at times, downright silly. There's no way Lawrence can be that much out of touch with this generation, unless he literally stopped existing between the original movie and now.

All in all though, it's a triumph.

William Zabka is just so much fun to watch. He keeps the momentum going in the first half of season one.
    I found it took a while to warm to Ralph Macchio this time around, but everything comes together towards the end of the first season nicely. You find yourself caring for all the characters at some point during the season.

Second season goes a bit OTT at times, but it's a thrill to watch.

Oh, and whatever about his karate, Larusso's definitely punching with his wife! Almost 20 years her senior!

• Advertisement

I'd watch Scarlet Johansson in anything even that stupid robot thing from a few years ago

The one where it's just her voice as a computer programme?? Her??
    I actually watched that last week. Wasn't great. It was well done, acting was good, concept was interesting enough. Just not enough substance to make a decent film out of it though.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,238 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The one where it's just her voice as a computer programme?? Her??
    I actually watched that last week. Wasn't great. It was well done, acting was good, concept was interesting enough. Just not enough substance to make a decent film out of it though.

Presume they mean Ghost in the Shell.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Presume they mean Ghost in the Shell.

Oh. Ok. Didn't see that.

Rough Night with Scarlett Johansson is probably one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It's probably Kate McKinnon's fault - everything she's in is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,844 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Rough Night with Scarlett Johansson is probably one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It's probably Kate McKinnon's fault - everything she's in is terrible.
    She was good as the bitchy music producer in Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

I'm guilty of the same, but she's the weakest thing about the otherwise brilliant Marriage Story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I thought Lucy was woeful. Although saying that, it was almost entertaining it was so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

VonLuck wrote: »
    I thought Lucy was woeful. Although saying that, it was almost entertaining it was so bad.
    Almost being the operative word.

Runaway Jury 3/5 movie with a 5/5 Gene HACKMAN performance

• Advertisement

VonLuck wrote: »

Christ, I'd forgotten about that abomination.

Advertisement