Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

deisedude wrote: »
    Essentially the digital model of giving away a free sample like food producers do in supermarkets

Or like drug dealers do on the streets :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

There's another film by Fincher that I think is his defining movie and one that is unbelievably iconic but the first rule means I can't talk about it...

I always think of The Social Network more as a Sorkin film than a Fincher one.
    By that reasoning, the film that must not be talked about is more of a Chuck Palahniuk movie than a Fincher one. ;)

The Social Network has all of Sorkin's strengths and all of Fincher's, married together. Fincher did the marrying, so he gets slightly more kudos from me, but it's great that we got a collaboration between two such heavyweights.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

mikhail wrote: »
    By that reasoning, the film that must not be talked about is more of a Chuck Palahniuk movie than a Fincher one. ;)

The Social Network has all of Sorkin's strengths and all of Fincher's, married together. Fincher did the marrying, so he gets slightly more kudos from me, but it's great that we got a collaboration between two such heavyweights.

We can all hopefully agree on one thing at least: Both Palahniuk and Sorkin have become parodies of themselves since their respective Fincher collaborations :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Addle wrote: »
    Henry Cavill and Sam Clafin together means that enola Holmes will have to be awful tripe altogether for me not to like it.

Very good casting, always thought they looked quite similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Latest trailer for Camp Cretaceous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

We can all hopefully agree on one thing at least: Both Palahniuk and Sorkin have become parodies of themselves since their respective Fincher collaborations :p
    I've heard that of Palahniuk.

I've enjoyed all of the Sorkin I've seen since 2010 though. Moneyball, The Newsroom, Steve Jobs, and Molly's Game are all worth a watch. None of them is definitive of an epoc, but that's a bit of a tough bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

mikhail wrote: »
    I've heard that of Palahniuk.

I've enjoyed all of the Sorkin I've seen since 2010 though. Moneyball, The Newsroom, Steve Jobs, and Molly's Game are all worth a watch. None of them is definitive of an epoc, but that's a bit of a tough bar.

I would agree with Johnny, A Few Good Men is still one of my favourite films but after that, my appreciation for his work on rewatches has gone down every time when I realises how similar it all is. He's incapable of writing a character who isn't a smart arse is some way. I do want to see Steve Jobs but mainly to see what Danny Boyle does with a Sorkin script.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I would agree with Johnny, A Few Good Men is still one of my favourite films but after that, my appreciation for his work on rewatches has gone down every time when I realises how similar it all is. He's incapable of writing a character who isn't a smart arse is some way. I do want to see Steve Jobs but mainly to see what Danny Boyle does with a Sorkin script.

Steve Jobs was one of the scripts where the Sorkin'isms neatly matched the subject matter IMO: Jobs was such a divisive, brash figure Sorkin captured that through his (in)famous dialogue styling. It was also a structurally interesting in that it didn't try for the tedious format adhered to by most Hollywood biographies; the film took 3 product launches across Jobs' career and centred all the character drama around those build ups. Made for an interesting & more cohesive narrative structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,090 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Mr Crispy wrote: »

My prediction is we won't see anyone die and we won't see blood and body parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

One episode into Borgen.....right up my street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Moneyball is great. Charlie Wilsons's War is worthwhile too. Sorkin definitely has his quirks but he’s never been consistent and when he knocks it out of the park he’s great.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Moneyball is great. Charlie Wilsons's War is worthwhile too. Sorkin definitely has his quirks but he’s never been consistent and when he knocks it out of the park he’s great.

I actually forgot they were his, I've only ever seen them once.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

gmisk wrote: »
    Has anyone watched "I see you"?

Very enjoyable,loads of tension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Unknown Origins is a really fun, off beat, superhero\detective movie. Recommended.

Is this set around the events of Jurassic World?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,090 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Don't be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood has been added. Think I'm due a rewatch

• Registered Users Posts: 32,800 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Is this set around the events of Jurassic World?
    Definitely looks to be, lot of call backs to jurassic world, like the big hamster balls, I think it also had indominous rex, and the mosasaurus.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Denny61

seligehgit wrote: »
    Very enjoyable,loads of tension.

I saw it other night...very good..two parts to the movie..from different perspective...done very well and last half hour full of tension and all the pieces come together and make sense. Yes a good movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Ip Man 4 is a brilliant ending to an excellent foursome of films. Highly recommend it. Gonna watch all four over a weekend soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Blow (Johnny Depp) seems to be back. Delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭franco25

Danger Close, the battle of Long Tan would give it a thumbs up

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Chef's Table: BBQ season 1
    The Emmy-nominated series delves into the juicy, smoky world of barbecue, visiting acclaimed chefs and pitmasters in the US, Australia and Mexico.

Freaks – You're One of Us (german)
    Tipped by a mysterious tramp, a meek fry cook discovers she has superpowers -- and kindred spirits -- and uncovers an unsavory, widespread conspiracy.

Sky Tour: The Movie
    From the preparations to the performances, this documentary showcases Vietnamese pop idol Sơn Tùng M-TP and the passion behind his Sky Tour concerts.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I didn't realise there was a season 2 of Criminal on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,900 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^ Interesting cast choices..

.. including Sharon Horgan and an unrecognisable Raj from The Big Bang Theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Replicas.

Don’t bother.

Really.

Don’t.

I've been watching BBC's Wanderlust with Toni Collette over the last while and it is fantastic. The premise is a couple who are struggling romantically decide to try seeing other people but without going into spoilers it is so much deeper than that. Some amazing performances and the writing is also really good bar a few cliche subplots. I have one episode left so hopefully I don't have to come back in here and retract the recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Young Wallander season 1
    An incendiary hate crime stirs civil unrest, fast-tracking rookie cop Kurt Wallander to detective in this origin story for the popular character

Call the Midwife season 8
    This period drama set in impoverished East London in the 1950s follows a newly qualified midwife and her colleagues at a nursing convent

Love, Guaranteed
    Sparks fly when a crusading but cash-strapped attorney takes on a charming client looking to sue a dating site that guarantees its users will find love.

The Platform season 1(arabic)
    A programming genius builds a fact-finding, truth-seeking internet portal while reckoning with trouble at home

Afonso Padilha: Classless
    Brazilian comedian Afonso Padilha dives into his humble beginnings and digs out hilarious stories about his childhood in this very personal set.

The Witcher: A Look Inside the Episodes
    With series creator Lauren S. Hissrich as your guide, take an in-depth journey into the stories and themes powering the first season of "The Witcher."

added

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I didn't realise there was a season 2 of Criminal on the way.
    Didn't see the first - but this looks good.

Do you need to see Season 1 to watch this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Watching It's always sunny. Season 2 there's an episode with Stephen Collins (7th heaven)singing a save the children song. :)

Surprised stuff like that is still on Netflix tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Watching It's always sunny. Season 2 there's an episode with Stephen Collins (7th heaven)singing a save the children song. :)

Surprised stuff like that is still on Netflix tbh.

If Netflix removes anymore episodes of sunny I'm definitely cancelling my account

Advertisement