Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Indecent proposal is an interesting watch. Seems very inappropriate watching it in 2020....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

I’m Thinking of Ending Things
    Based on the acclaimed novel of the same name by Iain Reid, Charlie Kaufman’s new film follows a young woman (Jessie Buckley) who takes a road trip with her new boyfriend (Jesse Plemons) to his family farm, despite her second thoughts about their relationship. Trapped at the farm during a snowstorm with Jake’s mother (Toni Collette) and father (David Thewlis), she begins to question the nature of everything she knew or understood about her boyfriend, herself, and the world. Expect something special.

Away Season 1
    From Executive Producer Jason Katims (Friday Night Lights), this drama celebrates the incredible advancements humans can achieve and the personal costs they face along the way. Hilary Swank stars as American astronaut Emma Green, who is preparing to lead an international crew on the first mission to Mars. But she must reconcile her decision to leave behind her husband (Josh Charles) and teenage daughter (Talitha Bateman) when they need her the most.

Enemy Lines
    An Allied commando squad races against time and the Soviets to extract a Polish rocket scientist from the hands of the Nazis. The clock is ticking.

Staged
    At their director's request, actors Michael Sheen and David Tennant try to rehearse a postponed play remotely while stuck at home during a pandemic.

Stretch
    Limo jockey Stretch has no idea what's in store for him when his gambling debt compels him to take on a job driving an eccentric billionaire

Take Me Home Tonight
    Set in the financial boom of the late 1980s, this tale centers on a recent college grad trying to figure out what to do with his life

Devil
    Detective Bowden must save five people trapped in an elevator and he has to do it fast, because one of them is the devil.

Johnny English &
    Johnny English Reborn

Parenthood (1989-great movie)
    The Buckmans are trying to raise their kids the "right" way, but they discover being the "perfect" parent often means just letting kids be themselves.

State of Play
    When his mistress is found dead, a congressman tries desperately to protect his career, while two journalists uncover an intricate web of lies.

A Million Ways to Die in the West

Deadpool

The Prince of Egypt

Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron

added

PS the boys season 2 has landed on prime

• Registered Users Posts: 43,869 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Lots of good stuff out today..
    peteeeed wrote: »
    ]Staged
    At their director's request, actors Michael Sheen and David Tennant try to rehearse a postponed play remotely while stuck at home during a pandemic.
    .. but this is particularly good!

An easy watch at 6 X 15 minute episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Hmmm, do I watch I'm Thinking of Ending Things or start the new season of The Boys over on Prime. Decisions, decisions...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Devil
    Detective Bowden must save five people trapped in an elevator and he has to do it fast, because one of them is the devil.

You have been warned - this is a Shyamalan film and plays out like one, so if you've read the description above you're ahead of where the script thinks you are by about 2/3 of the film. It's not awful, but nor is it memorable or notable (except, maybe, for just being blah rather than actively bad like The Happening was).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

PsychoPete wrote: »
    If Netflix removes anymore episodes of sunny I'm definitely cancelling my account

I was genuinely surprised they removed the Loaded Weapons episodes - I mean yes there's blackface but I wouldn't say it was done in a racist or derogatory way

To keep my post on topic, just finished season 2 of The Fall, probably old news for a lot of the thread subscribers but it's a great show - I never took Jamie Dornan seriously given the Grey films but he really knocks it out of the park here, great acting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Fysh wrote: »
    You have been warned - this is a Shyamalan film and plays out like one, so if you've read the description above you're ahead of where the script thinks you are by about 2/3 of the film. It's not awful, but nor is it memorable or notable (except, maybe, for just being blah rather than actively bad like The Happening was).

Ah, it is awful. The Shyamalan 'twist' ending to it is groan-inducing. I'd recommend avoiding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Hmmm, do I watch I'm Thinking of Ending Things or start the new season of The Boys over on Prime. Decisions, decisions...

I hadn't heard of The Boys until you mentioned it. Sounds really interesting, might give that a watch

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Away Season 1
    From Executive Producer Jason Katims (Friday Night Lights), this drama celebrates the incredible advancements humans can achieve and the personal costs they face along the way. Hilary Swank stars as American astronaut Emma Green, who is preparing to lead an international crew on the first mission to Mars. But she must reconcile her decision to leave behind her husband (Josh Charles) and teenage daughter (Talitha Bateman) when they need her the most.

I've only read one (positive) review of this but it sounds like a Space Drama that emphasises the inherent peril of travel, rather than contriving some evil antagonist our heroes must prevail against. I'm intrigued to see how this pans out as simple "Problem Solving" dramas are few and far between. Can take or leave the family drama but I'll watch for the Apollo 13 styling.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,640 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I’m Thinking of Ending Things
    Based on the acclaimed novel of the same name by Iain Reid, Charlie Kaufman’s new film follows a young woman (Jessie Buckley) who takes a road trip with her new boyfriend (Jesse Plemons) to his family farm, despite her second thoughts about their relationship. Trapped at the farm during a snowstorm with Jake’s mother (Toni Collette) and father (David Thewlis), she begins to question the nature of everything she knew or understood about her boyfriend, herself, and the world. Expect something special.

Away Season 1

Enemy Lines
    An Allied commando squad races against time and the Soviets to extract a Polish rocket scientist from the hands of the Nazis. The clock is ticking.

Staged

Stretch
    Limo jockey Stretch has no idea what's in store for him when his gambling debt compels him to take on a job driving an eccentric billionaire

Take Me Home Tonight
    Set in the financial boom of the late 1980s, this tale centers on a recent college grad trying to figure out what to do with his life

Devil

Johnny English &
    Johnny English Reborn

Parenthood (1989-great movie)
    The Buckmans are trying to raise their kids the "right" way, but they discover being the "perfect" parent often means just letting kids be themselves.

State of Play
    When his mistress is found dead, a congressman tries desperately to protect his career, while two journalists uncover an intricate web of lies.

A Million Ways to Die in the West

Deadpool

The Prince of Egypt

Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron

added

PS the boys season 2 has landed on prime
    State of play is a bit of a cracker, I am guessing it is the british tv show version not the film?
    The film I also decent to be fair.

The boys is my definitely Saturday night watch with a beer :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Dades wrote: »
    Didn't see the first - but this looks good.

Do you need to see Season 1 to watch this?

It's an anthology style series with stand alone episodes, so you should be alright. But I'd watch the first season anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Watched I’m Thinking Of Ending Things and can only applaud Charlie Kaufman for extracting a budget from Netflix to make the least accessible film of his career - and this is the man who made Synecdoche New York :p

I liked it an awful lot - frustrating in parts without question, but also a brilliant, smart adaptation and as unapologetic, uncompromising a Charlie Kaufman joint as you could imagine. Jessie Buckley once again proves herself to be one of Ireland’s very best actors. Will put some more detailed thoughts together for the dedicated thread, but definitely a recommendation from me, albeit with the strongest possible ‘not for everyone’ caveat ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Started watching Dirty John last month. It took me straight to Series 2 but as the two series seem to be independent, twas fine.

Very good, well told drama, where you switch your allegiances as the story unfolds.

Started Series 1 last night, even better.

Both true stories, highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Basq wrote: »
    Lots of good stuff out today...

Staged

...but this is particularly good!

I agree, I'm halfway through it on iplayer and really enjoying it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

gmisk wrote: »
    State of play is a bit of a cracker, I am guessing it is the british tv show version not the film?
    The film I also decent to be fair.

The boys is my definitely Saturday night watch with a beer :)

It's the Ben affleck movie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

gmisk wrote: »

Unlikely if a congressman is involved.

The original television series was superb with a great cast: John Simm, Bill Nighy, Kelly McDonald...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

Watched I’m Thinking Of Ending Things and can only applaud Charlie Kaufman for extracting a budget from Netflix to make the least accessible film of his career - and this is the man who made Synecdoche New York :p

I liked it an awful lot - frustrating in parts without question, but also a brilliant, smart adaptation and as unapologetic, uncompromising a Charlie Kaufman joint as you could imagine. Jessie Buckley once again proves herself to be one of Ireland’s very best actors. Will put some more detailed thoughts together for the dedicated thread, but definitely a recommendation from me, albeit with the strongest possible ‘not for everyone’ caveat ;)

Less accessible than Synecdoche New York?! Haha, I am looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Basq wrote: »
    Lots of good stuff out today..

.. but this is particularly good!

Gave this a go - loved it!

Edit:- for context - "Staged"

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

It's the Ben affleck movie

One with Russel Crowe as a reporter? Fairly by the numbers thriller from memory

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Beautiful Mind is brilliant starring Russell Crowe. Its a true story about a mathematician who lacks basic social skills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭appledrop

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Beautiful Mind is brilliant starring Russell Crowe. Its a true story about a mathematician who lacks basic social skills.

One of my all time favourite films. Amazing acting in this film. So emotional aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

appledrop wrote: »
    One of my all time favourite films. Amazing acting in this film. So emotional aswell.

Yeah it's an excellent movie, I knew nothing about the film apart from basically what I wrote above and didn't realise there was so much more to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Saying John Nash had basic social skills is like saying the krays had a bit of a temper. Great film.

Black books 3 seasons added. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Decided to start Borgen last night, is the improved dubbing only on later episodes, had to switch to subs 20 mins in

• Registered Users Posts: 43,869 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Jaysus, the dialogue in 'Away' is so cringey and horrible..

.. and it's chock full of stereotypes..

.. and yet I'll probably keep watching! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Decided to start Borgen last night, is the improved dubbing only on later episodes, had to switch to subs 20 mins in

Stick with the subs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

joeguevara wrote: »
    Saying John Nash had basic social skills is like saying the krays had a bit of a temper. Great film.

"a mathematician who lacks basic social skills", not "had basic social skills". :)

A really good film alright. Very cleverly put together, as well of course great acting.

"a mathematician who lacks basic social skills", not "had basic social skills". :)

A really good film alright. Very cleverly put together, as well of course great acting.

I just never saw him described like that. I’d be expecting a much different film than if I knew it was about a genius struggling with schizophrenia. Either way, amazing and thanks for letting me know its added. Love it.

• Advertisement

Tried to watch dinner for schmucks. Steve carell and Paul Rudd usually crack me up but I found it utterly unfunny and turned it off half way through. I might try again as I probably wasn’t in the mood but first watch, stay away.

Advertisement