Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

Watched I’m Thinking Of Ending Things.

I wish I was as eloquent as Johhny in my criticism. I went to turn it off after an hour carried on to see if something redeeming might come into it by the end and sorry I fought through it.

Utter tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

joeguevara wrote: »
    Tried to watch dinner for schmucks. Steve carell and Paul Rudd usually crack me up but I found it utterly unfunny and turned it off half way through. I might try again as I probably wasn’t in the mood but first watch, stay away.

It's a remake of an excellent French film. As usual Hollywood take a diamond and turn it into a cheap piece of glass!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119038/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Tried to watch dinner for schmucks. Steve carell and Paul Rudd usually crack me up but I found it utterly unfunny and turned it off half way through. I might try again as I probably wasn’t in the mood but first watch, stay away.

I remember thinking how cruel and mean spirited that film was. Not a single bit of it was amusing to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

limnam wrote: »
    Watched I’m Thinking Of Ending Things.

I wish I was as eloquent as Johhny in my criticism. I went to turn it off after an hour carried on to see if something redeeming might come into it by the end and sorry I fought through it.

Utter tripe.

One man's tripe is another man's sticky toffee pudding. :pac:

The book is a bit disorientating, and in the hands of Kaufman I'm sure that's amplified. I really like Kaufman's stuff (apart from Synecdoc NY) but Jessie Buckley is a must see for me; really looking forward to her performance. Great to see another Irish actor making a splash, even in a niche(ish) film.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I remember thinking how cruel and mean spirited that film was. Not a single bit of it was amusing to me.

I thought I had picked it up wrong when I felt uncomfortable how cruel it was. 40 year old virgin started off as a bit cruel but it ended up a sweet film. This lacked any humanity and just crass and vulgar humour not wrapped up in any charm. Did like the flight of the concords guy.

One thing that really put the icing on the cake was, never mind the bullying, and utter abhorrent behaviour the main outrage in the US was saying the title was anti Semitic with Schmuck being a slur on the Yiddish language. For fcuck sake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Room is on Netflix. Probably for ages. I watched it last night and it is one of the most affecting films I have ever seen. Had to turn off once to have a full on cry. My heart was hurting with how much it affected me. Brilliant acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

Gruffalox wrote: »
    Room is on Netflix. Probably for ages. I watched it last night and it is one of the most affecting films I have ever seen. Had to turn off once to have a full on cry. My heart was hurting with how much it affected me. Brilliant acting.

I watched it and loved it when it came out first, before i became a parent. Not sure I could get through it now.

It really is a fantastic film.

Most of the time when i google a film I get spoilers. Is it anything to do with kids or families?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Most of the time when i google a film I get spoilers. Is it anything to do with kids or families?

Both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Oh Jesus, don't watch it with children. It is about a kidnapped girl and her eventual child trapped in one room. Based on a book by Emma Donoghue. Lenny Abrahamson directed.

• Advertisement

Both

Ok. Thanks,. Not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'm definitely in the Room is very very good camp. Some movies are just difficult to get through but well worth the effort in the end.

Now that I have a child myself I'm not quite sure how different the experience of watching it would be though.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

This ^

Ok. Thanks,. Not for me.

Room is not actually that harrowing, or graphic, given the subject matter. It's mostly told from the child's point of view and the mother is very good at protecting him from what's going on. It's obvious to the viewer what the situation is, and it's not a good situation, but it's not one of these awful films that thinks it needs to show you the woman suffering repeatedly to illustrate what's happening. It's still not a happy, cheerful and light watch, but it's very delicately handled by Lenny Abrahamson.

On a side note, I was watching Brie Larson's YouTube videos about what things she auditioned for but didn't get and there's so many big roles and films from the years leading up to Room that she didn't get and then she delivers Short Term 12 and wins an Oscar for Room within a couple of years of each other and you'd have to think there's casting people somewhere kicking themselves. (Short Term 12 is on Prime and also very worth watching)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

pixelburp wrote: »
    I've only read one (positive) review of this but it sounds like a Space Drama that emphasises the inherent peril of travel, rather than contriving some evil antagonist our heroes must prevail against. I'm intrigued to see how this pans out as simple "Problem Solving" dramas are few and far between. Can take or leave the family drama but I'll watch for the Apollo 13 styling.

Away - pretty sure this is the one I saw a headline describe as Grey's Anatomy in space. Make of that what you will, but not sure I'm taking that as a recommendation.

I’m not sure If it’s pure coincidence or if my tv reads my social media but no matter what search I do Room will be there front and centre. Like I was searching for Blow and the usual graphics would be beside it like Scarfsce and goodfellas and Irishman but in the middle is Room. Same for always sunny and same for Job Lot.

It's a sign that you need to bite the bullet and just watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Finished Staged today and I'll join in the others with heartily recommending it.

It's just executed so well and genuine laugh out loud moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Les crevettes pailletées
    After making a homophobic remark on TV, a champion swimmer is assigned to coach an LGBTQ+ water polo team as a means of restoring his reputation.

My Octopus Teacher
    A filmmaker forges an unusual friendship with an octopus living in a South African kelp forest, learning as the animal shares the mysteries of her world.

Screened Out
    Filmmaker Jon Hyatt talks to kids, parents and experts about the impact and chilling consequences of constant smartphone screen time in today's world.

added

That '70s Show has been removed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

peteeeed wrote: »
    Hoops: Season 1
    This new adult animation follows a hot-headed, foul-mouthed high school basketball coach who thinks turning around his awful team will take him to the big leagues. Jake Johnson stars.

525535.png

Crude and rude, I liked it. It's as if a Kenny Powers from Eastbound and Down became a basketball coach- and lost any subtlety.
    Humorous rather hilarious, though there are some laugh out loud moments. Not for sensitive types.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Watched the Nightingale purely as it had the actress from the Fall in it which I've just finished - some extremely violent and harrowing scenes but definitely worth a watch.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110251823

• Registered Users Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Beautiful Mind is brilliant starring Russell Crowe. Its a true story about a mathematician who lacks basic social skills.

Or as I like to call them - 'mathematicians'.

Watched the first episode of Teenage Bounty Hunters and echo what others have said here in terms of quality.

At the same time, I'm starting to question whether I'm finally reaching an age where I'm a little too old to be watching high concept high school shows, a genre which I've adored in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I’m thinking of ending things, some strange film.

If anyone figures out what was actually going on in that film, would ye mind sharing your thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭facehugger99

fin12 wrote: »

If anyone figures out what was actually going on in that film, would ye mind sharing your thoughts?

I think it's about a film director who is given too much money by Netflix and disappears up his own arse

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dubstepper

ams wrote: »
    Watched the Nightingale purely as it had the actress from the Fall in it which I've just finished - some extremely violent and harrowing scenes but definitely worth a watch.

I had to abandon it. Too bleak by a long stretch. I suspect if I could have made it past the first half hour it may have got a bit better but I had to tap out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭kerplun k

fin12 wrote: »

The film has its own thread. I posted my reaction to it there, My theory is at the bottom. You can ignore the rest it’s mostly me just rambling. :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

dubstepper wrote: »
    I had to abandon it. Too bleak by a long stretch. I suspect if I could have made it past the first half hour it may have got a bit better but I had to tap out.

Tbh it starts as it means to continue and doesn't let up. I underestimated how bleak it might be by a significant amount when I saw it at the cinema and was pretty stunned by the time the credits rolled.

I thought it was an excellent film but it's a tough watch and you'd want to be in the right mindset to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,026 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

As it seems to be the way I choose what to watch these days, I'm halfway through Limitless the series to get it watched before it leaves later this month. Then will watch the final season of Hannibal which is also leaving

• Advertisement

Speaking of things leaving, Thoroughbreds is leaving on the 12th of September.
    It's one of the best films I've watched this year. It's darkly funny, or at least I thought it was. It's basically about two teenage girls who used to be very close but drifted apart after one of them did something bad. They're brought back together again when one of them needs the other to tutor them and that's all I'll say about it.....
    Anya Taylor-Joy and Olivia Cooke are basically the only people on screen for most of it, although Anton Yelchin is in it too, in what I think was his last role.
    Anyway, it's only 92 minutes, zips along, and I'd highly recommend catching it before it leaves.

Advertisement