Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

#Alive (koreon)
    As a grisly virus rampages a city, a lone man stays locked inside his apartment, digitally cut off from seeking help and desperate to find a way out

The Handmaiden (koreon)
    A con man's plan to steal an heiress's heart -- and her fortune -- gets complicated when she falls for the handmaid he hired to help with his scheme.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

^ The latter is definitely worth highlighting, I meant to post about it when I first saw it. The Handmaiden was on prime but has now moved to Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Speaking of things leaving, Thoroughbreds is leaving on the 12th of September.
    It's one of the best films I've watched this year. It's darkly funny, or at least I thought it was. It's basically about two teenage girls who used to be very close but drifted apart after one of them did something bad. They're brought back together again when one of them needs the other to tutor them and that's all I'll say about it.....
    Anya Taylor-Joy and Olivia Cooke are basically the only people on screen for most of it, although Anton Yelchin is in it too, in what I think was his last role.
    Anyway, it's only 92 minutes, zips along, and I'd highly recommend catching it before it leaves.

I agree. Also check out Bad Education same filmmaker/similar tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

I tried twice to sit through an episode of Hoops and failed. Its god awful, charmless, and unfunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

tigger123 wrote: »
    I tried twice to sit through an episode of Hoops and failed. Its god awful, charmless, and unfunny.

Yeah, tried the first episode myself and it left me cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭al87987

peteeeed wrote: »
    #Alive (koreon)
    As a grisly virus rampages a city, a lone man stays locked inside his apartment, digitally cut off from seeking help and desperate to find a way out

The Handmaiden (koreon)
    A con man's plan to steal an heiress's heart -- and her fortune -- gets complicated when she falls for the handmaid he hired to help with his scheme.

added

The Handmaiden is a fantastic film

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I watched Upgrade on a recommendation the other day...... I really enjoyed it......
    Very Familiar kind of a story line to be fair but the action scenes are different enough to keep you entertained and its impressive for lower budget film. Definitely worth a go

Cuties (french)
    Eleven-year-old Amy starts to rebel against her conservative family's traditions when she becomes fascinated with a free-spirited dance crew

Get Organized with The Home Edit Season 1
    Expert home organizers Clea and Joanna help celebrities and everyday clients edit, categorize and contain their clutter to create stunning spaces.

La Línea: Shadow of Narco season 1
    A stone's throw from Africa, the Spanish beach town of La Línea is a drug smuggling hot spot. But the police and mayor are determined to change that.

The Social Dilemma
    This documentary-drama hybrid explores the dangerous human impact of social networking, with tech experts sounding the alarm on their own creations.

So Much Love to Give (Argentinian)
    Fernando is a family man -- equally committed to each of his two families. But one wrong turn brings them crashing together.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭megaten

The Handmaiden is excellent. Not sure how its presented on Netflix but the international trailer when it was in cinema's gave it a thriller vibe when its much closer to a comedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whldChqCsYk

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Disappointed in Young Wallander, not least because it isn't in Swedish. The mix of English accents and Swedes speaking English is jarring. Not a fan.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Disappointed in Young Wallander, not least because it isn't in Swedish. The mix of English accents and Swedes speaking English is jarring. Not a fan.

Oh what, I saw a clip and assumed the English accents were dubbing!

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Oh what, I saw a clip and assumed the English accents were dubbing!

No. Sadly not, it's a bit crap tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I presume it was made as a prequel to the Kenneth Brannagh series rather than the original Swedish version.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I presume it was made as a prequel to the Kenneth Brannagh series rather than the original Swedish version.

Wallander and the odd other character are Swedish, the rest are like extras from EastEnders. And it appears to be set in the present. So a prequel in the future, as I say, not really a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Wallander and the odd other character are Swedish, the rest are like extras from EastEnders. And it appears to be set in the present. So a prequel in the future, as I say, not really a fan.

Yeah, I found it bewildering. It's 'young' Wallander but it's set in the present. I was hoping for a 70s/80s era setting. The delivery is just off. Even when allowing for accents it doesn't sound right. It's like they were trying to make it authentically Swedish by speaking English with forced Scandinavian cadance. Even native English speakers sounded weird. The syntax of the dialogue was strange, as well. And young Kurt is nothing like mature Kurt in character.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Not surprised they messed that up.
    "Old" Wallander had Flemish speaking police officers working for the Amsterdam police after all.
    No big deal for English speakers is suppose as they wouldnt hear the difference but it annoyed the living hell out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

ams wrote: »
    Watched the Nightingale purely as it had the actress from the Fall in it which I've just finished - some extremely violent and harrowing scenes but definitely worth a watch.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110251823

And more importantly Dewey from Justified.:)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Thanks to whoever mentioned that Thoroughbreds was leaving soon, I'd been meaning to watch it for ages but forgot about it because it's too far down the list. That was a good watch and a great couple of performances from Olivia Cooke and Anya Taylor-Joy, as well as some effective use of what I think was atonal jazz on the score. And it's always a pleasure to watch a film that knows how to tell a satisfying story in 90 minutes.

The Babysitter: Killer Queen
    Two years after Cole survived a satanic blood cult, he's living another nightmare: high school. And the demons from his past? Still making his life hell

The Idhun Chronicles(Spainish) Season 1
    A boy suddenly orphaned fights his parents' killer to save a planet, and discovers a new world of danger -- and wonder.

Julie and the Phantoms Season 1
    This musical series from Emmy winner Kenny Ortega (“High School Musical,” “Descendants”) stars talented teen Madison Reyes.
    Julie lost her passion for music when she lost her mom. But when three ghostly guys appear and lift her spirits, they decide to start a band together!

The Gift: Season 2
    Beren Saat (“Forbidden Love”) and Mehmet Günsür (“Loves Likes Coincidences”) star in this series based on a novel by Şengül Boybaş.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 43,869 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The Babysitter: Killer Queen
    Two years after Cole survived a satanic blood cult, he's living another nightmare: high school. And the demons from his past? Still making his life hell
    The first one was good fun.. though a sequel was unnecessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Basq wrote: »
    The first one was good fun.. though a sequel was unnecessary.

How many sequels are necessary?

I've seen the trailer and it looks like the same dumb fun so I'll happily watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Cuties (french)
    Eleven-year-old Amy starts to rebel against her conservative family's traditions when she becomes fascinated with a free-spirited dance crew

#CancelNetflix apparently now trending on American Twitter

Loads on Reddit saying it's content is appalling and R/Netflix has banned any reference to Cuties
    It's baaaad. They are literally slapping their vag's and like sensually humping the ground. Lots of slow, long looks at the camera and crotch shots. I was shocked, and I'm a gay dude in Los Angeles

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

'Away' is some rubbish. I like Hilary Swank and shes the only thing keeping this Turkey afloat. Its set in Space but it might aswell be set anywhere. Its definitely wrote and directed by some woke clown...stay away if Space is your thing..theres little or nothing about it in this series. However if crying and more crying do it for you then your set ..Theyve even managed to fit every race in the world into this so that box is ticked...the English guy in it is possibly the worst actor in the history of actors..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Alive is a half decent Zombie flick. Worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

BloodyBill wrote: »
    'Away' is some rubbish. I like Hilary Swank and shes the only thing keeping this Turkey afloat. Its set in Space but it might aswell be set anywhere. Its definitely wrote and directed by some woke clown...stay away if Space is your thing..theres little or nothing about it in this series. However if crying and more crying do it for you then your set ..Theyve even managed to fit every race in the world into this so that box is ticked...the English guy in it is possibly the worst actor in the history of actors..

This made me laugh!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

#Alive has a hashtag in the title, which knocks a star off the rating right off the bat. But it’s a solid little Korean zombie effort otherwise - hardly Train To Busan or Kingdom, but offers its own take and does it pretty well. Reasonably... warm-hearted and sentimental for the genre, albeit you can rest assured people’s intestines are still feasted upon. Does its job and does it confidently - not as action packed as you’d imagine, but its central conceit of characters being stuck in apartments due to an outbreak seems vaguely pertinent in 2020. Can’t quite pinpoint why...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    #CancelNetflix apparently now trending on American Twitter

Loads on Reddit saying it's content is appalling and R/Netflix has banned any reference to Cuties

I would have assumed actually making the film would break child protection laws, to make the film adults directed and filmed kids making sexualised content. Netflix deserve the attention they are getting

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

The Duchess Season 1 (Katherine Ryan)
    Katherine's a single mom juggling her career, her tween daughter, her relationship with her boyfriend -- and pondering getting pregnant with her ex.

The Barrier Season 1
    One family's fight for survival in a future dystopian Madrid illustrates the disparity between two worlds separated by a fence -- and so much more.

Dad Wanted (Spanish)
    What does a thrill-seeker tween girl do when her mom forbids her to enter a BMX race? Cast an actor with nothing to lose to play her approving dad.

Night School (Kevin Hart)
    A high school dropout studying to pass his GED exam butts heads with his sassy night school teacher and a vindictive principal.

Pets United
    A street-smart dog and a pampered cat join forces to lead a pack of unlikely heroes when their city is seized by its evil mayor -- and his robot army.

Family Business Season 2
    After learning France is about to legalize pot, a down-on-his-luck entrepreneur and his family race to turn their butcher shop into a marijuana café.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I watched Away and it was grand. There's not a huge amount really wrong with it in my eyes beyond clunky dialogue and an almost fatal overdose of hokiness at the times. It just isn't particularly good. It's like a strange mix of science fiction a la The Martian and US family dramas like Party of Five or Brothers and Sisters that never really gels and makes for a strangely flat experience. Seeing different skin tones and ethnicities onscreen doesn't ever bother me so the complaint about it being too 'woke' honestly never occurred to me.

Has anyone actually watched Cuties yet? After all the controversy I saw stirred up about the game Last of Us 2 before its release and what actually came out, I've grown a little suss about internet generated outrages about things people haven't actually seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Stuck out three episodes of Away, and won't finish it.
    It's not very good at all. It's trying to balance on being a sci-fi with an emotional arc.

As a Science Fiction show - it's a non-starter.
    Which means it has to really land the character driven narrative, and it's not nearly good enough at that.

They're in near constant communication with their friends and family back home - text messages, voice calls, video chats.
    So to payoff a character's emotional struggle with an "off the record" phone call is just really frustrating, regardless of any

I'm fairly sure each episode will hinge around one of the five causing an incident/or being caught in one, adding some loose context based on their life before take-off, and reaching some reconciliation/resolution of both by the episode's end.

Advertisement