Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Early Man
    When his tribe's valley is invaded by a Bronze Age society, a well-meaning Stone Age hunter challenges them to a football match to win back the land

The Other Side of the Door
    Desperate to talk with her dead son, an anguished mother performs an ancient ritual but goes too far, unleashing terrifying spirits into the world.

Peppermint
    After her family is murdered, a mild-mannered mom remakes herself into a badass vigilante in order to exact violent justice.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

We watched The Babysitter last night after watching the trailer for the sequel without realising it was a sequel so went back to the first one. Thoroughly enjoyably for a quiet Saturday night in, will watch the second one tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

peteeeed wrote: »
    Early Man
    When his tribe's valley is invaded by a Bronze Age society, a well-meaning Stone Age hunter challenges them to a football match to win back the land

Early Man isn't the best Aardman but it's solid and as usual there are plenty of background gags.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

We watched The Babysitter last night after watching the trailer for the sequel without realising it was a sequel so went back to the first one. Thoroughly enjoyably for a quiet Saturday night in, will watch the second one tonight

The first one was deadly. Absolute over the top unapologetic mad****. Second one was decent. I'd actually give it 9/10 for the first one but that's getting an extra 2 just for catching me by surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,921 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Great recommendation for the Devil all the time, excellent film.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Bowlardo wrote: »
    The first one was deadly. Absolute over the top unapologetic mad****. Second one was decent. I'd actually give it 9/10 for the first one but that's getting an extra 2 just for catching me by surprise.

I had never heard of it until last night so was very pleasantly surprised. Like home alone for adults

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Giri Haji is ridiculously good.

Can't recommend it highly enough.

Whose Vote Counts, Explained
    The right to vote is at the foundation of America's democracy. But not every vote is created equal. How does the system work, and can it be fixed?

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Whose Vote Counts, Explained
    The right to vote is at the foundation of America's democracy. But not every vote is created equal. How does the system work, and can it be fixed?

Added

Good watch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

It's not on Netflix Ireland.

(It is on Now TV if you have that)

He’s right, apologies guys, my bad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

He’s right, apologies guys, my bad.

*She's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60,547 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness CG series coming next year ahead of the Resident Evil live action series they are also making.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I thought season 1 of Misfits was good but season 2 is even better. It's a good bit over the top story-wise but all the characters are brilliant, especially Simon.

Michelle Buteau: Welcome to Buteaupia
    Scene-stealing queen Michelle Buteau dazzles with real talk on relationships, parenthood, cultural differences and the government workers who adore her.

xXx: The Return of Xander Cage
    Xander Cage returns from his self-imposed exile to help the CIA retrieve Pandora's box, a device that can turn satellites into warheads.

added

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

seligehgit wrote: »
    Giri Haji is ridiculously good.

Can't recommend it highly enough.

The last episode was a bit ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭p to the e

• Registered Users Posts: 29,026 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Finished timeless. Really liked it. Characters were likeable an was pretty much story of the week with ongoing story throughout.
    Was actually cancelled twice. First after the first season and again after the second season, before getting a 2 part finale, which Netflix has as the final 2 episodes of season 2.

The Boys in the Band
    https://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-boys-in-the-band
    At a birthday party in 1968 New York, a surprise guest and a drunken game leave seven gay friends reckoning with unspoken feelings and buried truths.

The Boys in the Band: Something Personal
    Decades after his play first put gay life center stage, Mart Crowley joins the cast and crew of the 2020 film to reflect on the story's enduring legacy.

American Murder: The Family Next Door
    Using raw, firsthand footage, this documentary examines the disappearance of Shanann Watts and her children, and the terrible events that followed.

The Girl in the Spider's Web
    Enlisted to recover a dangerous program, hacker Lisbeth Salander soon finds herself drawn into a web of deception spun unexpectedly close to home.

Baxu and the Giants
    A young girl grows increasingly concerned about the rhino poaching in her village when it begins to directly impact her impoverished family

Masameer Classics Season 1
    Through dark comedy and eccentric characters, this web series offers a humorous view of the changes and cultural shifts in Saudi Arabia from 2011-2019.

The Dark Tower
    A teenager with psychic powers meets the last Gunslinger, who must stop a sorcerer from destroying the one thing that holds the universe together.

Poacher
    A daring farmer steals illicit ivory from a group of international terrorists and must elude their dangerous and deadly games.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

The Dark Tower
    A teenager with psychic powers meets the last Gunslinger, who must stop a sorcerer from destroying the one thing that holds the universe together.

Love Stephen King's Dark Tower series and was devastated when this film received such awful reviews, so devastated that I never actually watched it

I think enough time has passed, I'm going to be brave and watch it this weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Love Stephen King's Dark Tower series and was devastated when this film received such awful reviews, so devastated that I never actually watched it

I knew nothing really about the source material. It's was a passable watch for a boring Saturday. I get the feeling that it would be an absolute abomination if you were familiar with the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Has anyone watched the Spy with Sacha Baron Cohen? https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/sep/06/the-spy-review-sacha-baron-cohen-israeli-espionage-drama-gideon-raff

I think he is amazing but was wondering if someone could recommend it before I begin?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Watched True Story (Jonah Hill, James Franco) over the weekend. Decent story but the lads are just phoning in their performances. Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Sakana

Still Game

Scottish comedy about two pensioners living in a tower block. Appears a bit Killinaskullyish at first but is so much better. Has a bite to it and a lot of heart. Gets kind of silly in the latter seasons.

Just realised this thread is for films. Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Porthallian

If you've read the books I'd definitely avoid it as you'll only be disappointed. Completely rushed into a 90 minute movie, a total mess tbh. Whole story centres around the kid, (Jake?) rather than the gunslinger.
    Only saving grace for me was McConaughey who I'm a fan of. The critics got it right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Dark Tower was made in the hubris and heat of Hollywood's gold rush where each studio wanted their own "shared universe". The adaptation had its sights on future movies and spinoffs rather than just telling the story in the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Sakana wrote: »
    Still Game

Scottish comedy about two pensioners living in a tower block. Appears a bit Killinaskullyish at first but is so much better. Has a bite to it and a lot of heart. Gets kind of silly in the latter seasons.

Still Game is 10x what Killinaskully is. It's a very underrated show.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Sakana wrote: »
    Still Game

Just realised this thread is for films. Sorry!

Nah, you get lots of recommendations for series too, sometimes not even on Netflix.

It's way better than Killinaskully imo, very funny at times, not sure why BBC England didn't give it better air time, maybe they just didn't want to admit BBC Scotland did a better job than them.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Nah, you get lots of recommendations for series too, sometimes not even on Netflix.

It's way better than Killinaskully imo, very funny at times, not sure why BBC England didn't give it better air time, maybe they just didn't want to admit BBC Scotland did a better job than them.

BBC Scotland has put out some great comedy that either never airs on the main BBC or gets put on a Tuesday night at 11:45 or something.

Chewin' the Fat was the sketch show that Still Game originated on. Limmy's Show and Burnistoun are good too. Think they're all on Netflix actually.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

The Girl in the Spider's Web is in 4K UHD

Advertisement