Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

joeguevara wrote: »
    Has anyone watched the Spy with Sacha Baron Cohen? https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/sep/06/the-spy-review-sacha-baron-cohen-israeli-espionage-drama-gideon-raff

I think he is amazing but was wondering if someone could recommend it before I begin?

Yes it very good. It’s not a comedy but a serious role for him . He is very good in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Sakana

BBC Scotland has put out some great comedy that either never airs on the main BBC or gets put on a Tuesday night at 11:45 or something.

Chewin' the Fat was the sketch show that Still Game originated on. Limmy's Show and Burnistoun are good too. Think they're all on Netflix actually.

Yeah, I've watched some of Chewin' the Fat. Some fantastic stuff! :D

Limmy is my spirit animal. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

If you've read the books I'd definitely avoid it as you'll only be disappointed. Completely rushed into a 90 minute movie, a total mess tbh. Whole story centres around the kid, (Jake?) rather than the gunslinger.
    Only saving grace for me was McConaughey who I'm a fan of. The critics got it right.

Yeah that's the vibe I got from the reviews at the time - an incoherent mess and not as faithful to the books as it should have been

I'll watch it anyways but I'm going in with low expectations so shouldn't be too disappointed

And as you say McConoughey is great at playing characters with a sinister aura so he might make it watchable at least

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

About half way through an anime series called Erased and really enjoying it.
    It's about a man, Satoru, who experiences a sort of glitch in time. Something happens and he goes back a couple of minutes and is able to stop something bad from happening if he can figure out what it is in time. After getting hit by a car, while saving a child during one of these time jumps, his mother comes to stay to make sure he's okay and ends up dead, with Satoru the main suspect. On the run from the police he blacks out and when he wakes up he finds he's jumped all the way back in time to when he was 10 and a series of child abductions happened in his home town. One of the girls who was later found dead is a girl in his class. Convinced this event is linked to his mother's future murder he decides to try to change the past to prevent the future.
    As I said, I'm only on episode 6 of 12, but it's very good so far. It's like a dark murder mystery time travel thriller. And the episodes are only 22 minutes long, so I'm flying through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

joeguevara wrote: »
    Has anyone watched the Spy with Sacha Baron Cohen? https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/sep/06/the-spy-review-sacha-baron-cohen-israeli-espionage-drama-gideon-raff

I think he is amazing but was wondering if someone could recommend it before I begin?

Id give it a solid 8 out of 10. Thought his acting in a more serious role was brilliant. Fascinating true story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,653 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Has anyone else watched the doc, American Murder the family next door?
    Not a story I was familiar with but seriously gripping watch

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It's about a man, Satoru, who experiences a sort of glitch in time. Something happens and he goes back a couple of minutes and is able to stop something bad from happening if he can figure out what it is in time. After getting hit by a car, while saving a child during one of these time jumps, his mother comes to stay to make sure he's okay and ends up dead, with Satoru the main suspect. On the run from the police he blacks out and when he wakes up he finds he's jumped all the way back in time to when he was 10 and a series of child abductions happened in his home town. One of the girls who was later found dead is a girl in his class. Convinced this event is linked to his mother's future murder he decides to try to change the past to prevent the future.
    As I said, I'm only on episode 6 of 12, but it's very good so far. It's like a dark murder mystery time travel thriller. And the episodes are only 22 minutes long, so I'm flying through them.

There’s a live action remake of this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

It's about a man, Satoru...

Sounds really good. I think you mean the 2017 version, but do you know what the two versions are? wiki seems unsure

[img][/img][img][/img]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

gmisk wrote: »

I haven’t watched it yet but I am familiar with the story. Only happened two years ago, loads of videos of Chris Watts on youtube , unbelievable....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Sounds really good. I think you mean the 2017 version, but do you know what the two versions are? wiki seems unsure

[img][/img][img][/img]

2016 is the anime. 2017 is the live remake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Loughc wrote: »
    2016 is the anime. 2017 is the live remake.
    Nice, thanks - I really messed up attaching the screenshots :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

gmisk wrote: »

I knew this case like the back of my hand as I've read up in in depth a few times, but still a fascinating watch.
    I always find it fascinating when there's a case where there's lots of footage of the perpetrator acting innocent before they've been found out, so that's why I was drawn to this case.

Absolutely heartbreaking hearing him describe how he had Shanann's body wrapped in a sheet in his truck, and his 2 girls asking him if Mommy was okay.

Also, the documentary makes it sound like he threw the girls into the oil tanks while they were still alive, but they weren't. He had smothered them.

Loughc wrote: »
    There’s a live action remake of this too.

I saw that when I was trying to find out what year it was made. Not sure what a live action remake would be like. It's pretty heavy stuff to rely on a couple of 10 year old actors to carry.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,026 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I watched that Erased anime as it aired. Thought it was excellent. Have the live action version on my list but haven't watched it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Finished Dark last week. Very good. Finding it hard to think of another show so meticulously written and thought out from Start to finish. Definitely turn off the English dubbed voices though and change to the original German with English subs, excellent acting Throughout. One of my favourite shows this year.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I watched that Erased anime as it aired. Thought it was excellent. Have the live action version on my list but haven't watched it yet.

I didn't realise they were both on Netflix. Watched the live action trailer there and it actually looks pretty good. Although it also looks like a shot for shot remake of the anime, so I might give it a while before watching it too.

I didn't realise they were both on Netflix. Watched the live action trailer there and it actually looks pretty good. Although it also looks like a shot for shot remake of the anime, so I might give it a while before watching it too.

Both are based on the manga though seems the anime deviates from the source material, according to wikipedia, probably because the anime was made before the manga was finished. But the live action series follows the manga completely so there must be some differences to the anime in the second half.
    I haven't read the manga so don't know what the differences are.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Both are based on the manga though seems the anime deviates from the source material, according to wikipedia, probably because the anime was made before the manga was finished. But the live action series follows the manga completely so there must be some differences to the anime in the second half.
    I haven't read the manga so don't know what the differences are.

Cool. I was afraid to look anything up incase of spoilers :D

Yeah that's one thing I hate about watching a series after it's finished. Look up a main character on imdb to see what else they were in only to accidentally see they're only in 30 of the 46 episodes that aired, obviously means they're written out at some point.

Or even googling a character sometimes gives autocomplete suggestion of character name death.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

Just watched American Murder - The Family Next Door. Tragic but highly recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

My Octopus Teacher is a lovely watch. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,869 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Just watched American Murder - The Family Next Door. Tragic but highly recommend.
    Hugely unsettling but recommended watch..

.. the amount of documented footage is insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

olvias wrote: »
    The Comey Rule. Truly gripping account of the director of the FBI's impossible task handling Hillary's alleged dodgy email server before the last US election and it's aftermath.

Is this on Netflix??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

olvias wrote: »
    The Comey Rule. Truly gripping account of the director of the FBI's impossible task handling Hillary's alleged dodgy email server before the last US election and it's aftermath.

This isn't on Netflix :confused:

It's Sky Atlantic I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    This isn't on Netflix :confused:

It's Sky Atlantic I believe

Yep

Banana season 1
    Follow the misadventures of young friends in Manchester as they navigate love and lust in separate, interconnected stories.

Good Morning, Verônica season 1
    While hunting for a dating-site predator, an underused cop discovers a husband and wife with a horrific secret -- and a web of conspiracy hiding it.

Oktoberfest: Beer & Blood season 1
    In 1900 Munich, ambitious brewer Curt Prank uses brutal tactics on his quest to build a beer hall that will dominate the city's lucrative Oktoberfest.

The Ugly Truth
    A chauvinistic morning-show commentator tries to prove the relationship theories he espouses on a segment called "The Ugly Truth."

Adaptation
    Cowboys and aliens
    Bandslam
    Super 8
    Pose: Season 2
    Rocks
    The Last Tree
    A United Kingdom
    Gangster Squad
    Corpse Bride
    Into the Storm
    Addams Family
    Addams Family Values
    Aliens: Season 1
    White Teeth: Season 1
    Tucked
    The Conjuring
    Friday the 13th (2009)
    Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma: Season 2
    Dolphin Tale 2
    All Because of You
    Elsewhere
    The Ugly Truth
    The Three Musketeers
    The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants
    A Moving Image
    Generation Revolution
    Carlos Almaraz: Playing with Fire
    Kangaroo Jack
    Beyond the Mat
    Dennis the Menace (1993)
    Journey of an African Colony: Season 1
    Gone Too Far!
    The Lucky One
    Zarafa
    The American Game
    Paranormal Activity
    Paranormal Activity 2
    Paranormal Activity 3
    Paranormal Activity 4
    Paranormal Activity: Ghost Dimension
    Familiar Wife: Season 1

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Finally got around to Second season of After Life. Not as good as the first one, and not as funny. They could have finished after the first season tbh. Not terrible, just a big standard dramedy with the odd belly laugh.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

The Social Dilemma tackles an interesting topic but the dramatisations in it are so stupid that they taint the whole documentary. Who in their right mind thought they were a good idea?

Rocks was added today. Didn't expect to see it streaming so soon. Great reviews from most sources.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/sep/20/rocks-review-sarah-gavron-bukky-bakray-kosar-ali-d-angelou-osei-kissiedu

• Advertisement

Just a quick note that the expanse seasons 1&2 are listed as being added today but I'm not seeing them on my Netflix

Advertisement