Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

peteeeed wrote: »
    Just a quick note that the expanse seasons 1&2 are listed as being added today but I'm not seeing them on my Netflix

I would have thought Amazon had the rights.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah that's a bona fide "Amazon Original" now, must be a mistake.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A good reminder that Expanse usually drops in the latter half of a year, so Season 5 - or a trailer at least - should hopefully be around the corner. They definitely finished shooting before 2020 became the Year That Never Was.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

pixelburp wrote: »
    A good reminder that Expanse usually drops in the latter half of a year, so Season 5 - or a trailer at least - should hopefully be around the corner. They definitely finished shooting before 2020 became the Year That Never Was.

They finished filming I thought I read but hasn't the guy that plays Alex gotten MeToo'd in a big way in recent months throwing the whole thing into disarray?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mickeroo wrote: »
    They finished filming I thought I read but hasn't the guy that plays Alex gotten MeToo'd in a big way in recent months throwing the whole thing into disarray?

Last I read the studio was conducting an internal investigation to see if the accusations were founded so still an open question. I hadn't got the impression Season 5 was to be delayed as a result. IIRC they did say it might be delayed because all the post-production would be done remotely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

The Social Dilemma tackles an interesting topic but the dramatisations in it are so stupid that they taint the whole documentary. Who in their right mind thought they were a good idea?

I watched it. Was appalled. And said to myself "I really need to cut back on Social

Cue me the next day as active as before in Facebook Groups I'm in. It's all Facebook is of use for these days, Groups are amazing for whatever hobbies etc you're into

But then there's Messenger too. I get more texts on it then WhatsApp. And sure FB owns WhatsApp too! :pac:

Social Media is endemic in our lives now. Its just really important to watch how much time you're on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I watched it. Was appalled. And said to myself "I really need to cut back on Social

Cue me the next day as active as before in Facebook Groups I'm in. It's all Facebook is of use for these days, Groups are amazing for whatever hobbies etc you're into

But then there's Messenger too. I get more texts on it then WhatsApp. And sure FB owns WhatsApp too! :pac:

Social Media is endemic in our lives now. Its just really important to watch how much time you're on it

I had deactivated my account for about 2 years and kind of got sucked back in recently. Dumped Facebook and Instagram - which I never used - off the phone. Will keep Whatsapp purely to communicate with a bunch of old friends and that's it. The polarisation that social media, Facebook in particular, is causing is pretty self evident and I don't really want to be party to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

pixelburp wrote: »
    The Dark Tower was made in the hubris and heat of Hollywood's gold rush where each studio wanted their own "shared universe". The adaptation had its sights on future movies and spinoffs rather than just telling the story in the moment.

Im about a 3rd of the way through the wolves of calla at the moment, And it blows my mind that they tried to make a film out of. The sheer amount of references / cross king universe stuff thats in it makes it practically pointless for a non king fan. I'm personally upset that I didnt get to it sooner, as I'm spending a lot of time checking out the references to see if I'm remembering correctly.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

About half way through an anime series called Erased and really enjoying it.

As I said, I'm only on episode 6 of 12, but it's very good so far. It's like a dark murder mystery time travel thriller. And the episodes are only 22 minutes long, so I'm flying through them.

Finished this this evening. Not sure if I liked the ending or not, but I'd be interested to see the live action one to see if it follows the Manga and has a different ending. Really interesting series though, with some of the tightest writing I've seen in an anime series. Not that I'm an expert but I've seen a few where they overdo the drama or have lots of very beautiful, but very unnecessary, scenes thrown in among the actual story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

American Murder: The Family Next Door is very good (but sad). Excellent use of raw footage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Dick Johnson Is Dead
    https://www.metacritic.com/movie/dick-johnson-is-dead
    As her father nears the end of his life, filmmaker Kirsten Johnson stages his death in inventive and comical ways to help them both face the inevitable.

Song Exploder: Volume 1
    Hrishikesh Hirway’s excellent podcast, which gets musicians to take apart their own songs, piece by piece, gets the Netflix TV treatment.

Emily in Paris season 1
    After landing her dream job in Paris, Chicago marketing exec Emily Cooper embraces her adventurous new life while juggling work, friends and romance

Vampires vs. the Bronx
    Three gutsy kids from a rapidly gentrifying Bronx neighborhood stumble upon a sinister plot to suck all the life from their beloved community.

The Binding
    While visiting her fiancé's mother in southern Italy, a woman must fight the mysterious and malevolent curse intent on claiming her daughter.

You've Got This
    An ad creative and a successful exec have a great marriage -- until he wants to be a dad just as her star is rising. Then he brings someone new home.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Dick Johnson Is Dead
    https://www.metacritic.com/movie/dick-johnson-is-dead
    As her father nears the end of his life, filmmaker Kirsten Johnson stages his death in inventive and comical ways to help them both face the inevitable.
    Excellent, this has been on my radar the last while so looking forward to watching it.
    Song Exploder: Volume 1
    Hrishikesh Hirway’s excellent podcast, which gets musicians to take apart their own songs, piece by piece, gets the Netflix TV treatment.
    I'm a fan of the podcast and had no idea it was getting a Netflix show. Curious to see how it works and whether it's reusing old content or covering all new songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    American Murder: The Family Next Door is very good (but sad). Excellent use of raw footage.

Found it good, but predictable.... Until the end....
    were the kids alive when he threw did into the oil tanks?
    I didn't catch this...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I'm a fan of the podcast (Song Exploder) and had no idea it was getting a Netflix show. Curious to see how it works and whether it's reusing old content or covering all new songs.

Only four episodes to start
    Alicia Keys, Lin-Manuel Miranda, REM, Ty Dolla $ign

• Registered Users Posts: 43,869 ✭✭✭✭Basq

LilacNails wrote: »
    Oh.. no doubt.. but don’t think it was supposed to be
    particularly surprising, especially as he was being alluded to as the killer throughout.. but it highlights the coldness of him meeting the police that morning, and his pleas on TV etc. All while knowing what he’s done. Sick!
    I didn't catch this...
    I don’t think so.. didn’t he indicate that one of them asking about the sister and then said "No, Daddy!” before smothering her with a blanket.
    :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Dick Johnson Is Dead is wonderful - little surprise given how good Kirsten Johnson’s Cameraperson was as well. But this is a different beast entirely: a very playful but ultimately serious-minded and deeply personal exploration of documentary form. It documents one man’s winter years in a funny and inventive way, without downplaying the impact of death, dementia and decline so many people suffer in later life. That it makes no qualms about tackling these issues head-on while still being a charming and celebratory film is no small feat.

Lots of fun, vibrant and ridiculous staged interludes amid the intimate and candid footage. Johnson is a skilled filmmaker who is elegantly able to jump back and forth between the artificial and the genuine in a fluid and insightful way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

I didn't catch this...

My sincerest apologies as this is not an easy read but here is your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Nice!! I only finished season 2 this week, such a great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Dante7 wrote: »
    The Girl in the Spider's Web is in 4K UHD

I found it very disappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

How do you know
    unreal cast is wasted on a pure horse**** script..
    Could be the worst film I've seen in recent years

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Bowlardo wrote: »
    How do you know
    unreal cast is wasted on a pure horse**** script..
    Could be the worst film I've seen in recent years

Unreal? Owen Wilson and Paul Rudd?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Unreal? Owen Wilson and Paul Rudd?

Jack Nicholson and Reese Wetherspoons have a few Oscars in the bag
    Rudd is usually likeable decent actor
    Wilson plays himself no surprises there

Woeful woeful.Woeful woeful woeful film

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Myself and kids enjoyed Enola Holmes. Very light and pleasant.

David Attenborough: A Life on Our Planet
    A broadcaster recounts his life, and the evolutionary history of life on Earth, to grieve the loss of wild places and offer a vision for the future.

Added

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

David Attenborough: A Life on Our Planet
    A broadcaster recounts his life, and the evolutionary history of life on Earth, to grieve the loss of wild places and offer a vision for the future.

Added

93 years young, what a legend!

I'm watching it now, perfect for a Sunday morning :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Line Of Duty season 5 lands today doesn't it?

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Line Of Duty season 5 lands today doesn't it?

Was supposed to but didn't happen

• Registered Users Posts: 29,026 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Looks like Line of Duty is due to leave at the end of the month.
    Funny how many things I forgot about or just find out are on Netflix by seeing them in the leaving soon list. Like the greatest Nintendo ad ever, The Wizard, and the series of Highway to Heaven

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Was supposed to but didn't happen

Noooooo :(

Advertisement