Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,789 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Looks like Line of Duty is due to leave at the end of the month.
    Funny how many things I first about or just find out are on Netflix by seeing them in the leaving soon list. Like the greatest Nintendo ad ever, The Wizard, and the series of Highway to Heaven

Ffs!
    I've been watching season 4 in the lead up to season 5 starting shortly.
    That's really annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I just told my mam at the weekend that Season 5 was coming.

Doubt I’ll ever be able to set foot inside her house again. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

Wait what :(
    Been waiting a year for it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Earthhorse wrote: »
    I just told my mam at the weekend that Season 5 was coming.

Doubt I’ll ever be able to set foot inside her house again. :(

Ha , I had told my daughter on Saturday that it was coming this week too !
    A text to let her know it's not might be the best option in the morning :o

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Ha , I had told my daughter on Saturday that it was coming this week too !
    A text to let her know it's not might be the best option in the morning :o

Have you ever seen Strangers on a Train...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Have you ever seen Strangers on a Train...?

Lol , excellent idea !
    (Great film btw )

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A recommendation for Rocks, which I was surprised to see pop up so quickly (had missed its recent cinema release due to, well, the cinemas closing!)

A truly authentic, lived-in film, following one teenager as she attempts to fend for her and her brother after their mother abandons them. Sounds heavy, and it certainly doesn’t pull its punches, but has a youthful energy and playfulness that makes it a quite easy watch despite the grim subject matter. Lead actress Bukky Bakray is extraordinarily good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

peteeeed wrote: »

I don't understand cancelling things that are/were already in production. Everything is being delayed so it's not like they're in a rush to get it out on time to compete with something else or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

I don't understand cancelling things that are/were already in production. Everything is being delayed so it's not like they're in a rush to get it out on time to compete with something else or whatever.

From the article
    Sources cite the large ensemble cast of GLOW and the close contact and physical exertion required of its wrestling scenes as making the show tougher to produce safely during the pandemic. The additional costs related to COVID guidelines, and the fact that the series wouldn't have aired before 2022, led the Netflix's decision.

It was also an expensive show to run so the added cost didn't help. Also if they put the show on hold and the cast took on other projects, when they did get back to production, what if some of the cast couldn't return due to conflicts with their new projects.

Oh man, they've cancelled Teenage Bounty Hunters too. Same people involved with that as with Glow, so not surprised. Netflix gave it zero promotion too.
    I'm genuinely upset about that one, it was such a fun show, really good writing, brilliantly funny and charming. It ended on such a good cliffhanger too. I really hope someone else picks it up.

Oh man, they've cancelled Teenage Bounty Hunters too. Same people involved with that as with Glow, so not surprised. Netflix gave it zero promotion too.
    I'm genuinely upset about that one, it was such a fun show, really good writing, brilliantly funny and charming. It ended on such a good cliffhanger too. I really hope someone else picks it up.

It would fit in perfectly with The CW or Freeform

From the article

It was also an expensive show to run so the added cost didn't help. Also if they put the show on hold and the cast took on other projects, when they did get back to production, what if some of the cast couldn't return due to conflicts with their new projects.

Yeah, I did think about the physical nature of it. And there's a fair few crowd scenes too, which means more people on set.

It would fit in perfectly with The CW or Freeform

I don't think it would. It's way more mature than anything I've seen on those networks. I don't know where it would fit, Amazon maybe.

Just reading the Teenage Bounty Hunters news too. FFS! I've slowly being making my way through season one but really enjoying it.

I don't think it would. It's way more mature than anything I've seen on those networks. I don't know where it would fit, Amazon maybe.

Oh yeah completely forgot about the episode in the strip club, yeah it wouldn't work for either network. FX or Hulu could work, doubt Amazon would pick it up

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Just reading the Teenage Bounty Hunters news too. FFS! I've slowly being making my way through season one but really enjoying it.

It's genuinely one of, if not my favourite, new show I've watched this year. The creators and cast have been very active on social media lately trying to get people to watch it and engage with people who already did. It's a real shame that that's the level of support they've gotten from Netflix, i.e. none. It really deserved so much more. I'm properly gutted about this :(

Guess I better savour the last two episodes so.

The lack of publicity this show got is shocking. I'm surprised given Jenji Kohans involvement. I'm a big fan since the early days of Weeds. Feels like other shows from other big name producers would get a lot more attention.

I would not be one bit surprised if this show finds itself a bigger audience over time, it really is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,026 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

They do know they need shows to air once all this is over, right?
    The only one I kind of understand is I Am Not Okay With This and The Society because the main cast is young and would look older than they should by the time they get back filming. Still I think viewers would understand.
    So cancelled so far by them are:
    GLOW
    I Am Not Okay With This
    Teenage Bounty Hunters
    Altered Carbon
    Sabrina
    Dark Crystal

Others as well I never watched or intended to watch.

If worried about aging children, what about the wee boy in Locke & Key?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

?

Reality shows will fill the gaps, easy, quick and cheap to make. No waiting for actors to be available, no need for scripts (other than the broad outline the "cast" are given), no great expense apart from a nice location.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Inheritance ( Simon pegg)
    After the patriarch of a powerful family passes away, he entrusts his daughter with a secret that no longer wants to remain buried.

Added

The only one I kind of understand is I Am Not Okay With This and The Society because the main cast is young and would look older than they should by the time they get back filming. Still I think viewers would understand.
    So cancelled so far by them are:
    GLOW
    I Am Not Okay With This
    Teenage Bounty Hunters
    Altered Carbon
    Sabrina
    Dark Crystal

Others as well I never watched or intended to watch.

If worried about aging children, what about the wee boy in Locke & Key?

Also mindhunter where they released everyone from their contracts and it's now in limbo

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Guess I better savour the last two episodes so.

The lack of publicity this show got is shocking. I'm surprised given Jenji Kohans involvement. I'm a big fan since the early days of Weeds. Feels like other shows from other big name producers would get a lot more attention.

I would not be one bit surprised if this show finds itself a bigger audience over time, it really is very good.

It's really annoying how poorly they treated it. I've noticed over the last few months that the top 10 list every week is pretty much always filled with whatever they've been heavily promoting for a few weeks before, regardless of quality. Ratched, for example, has had some of the worst reviews of anything on Netflix, and yet there it is in the Top 10.

Also, SPOILER...... it's not as straight as the trailer made it seem, and apparently they don't list in their LGBT section. Not to sound like a cynical marketing person but that's an audience that will generate a lot of viewers and can be extremely loyal, but they didn't even try to tap into that market.

I still think there's a lot of good stuff on Netflix, but as far as their original content goes it's starting to lose me a bit.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Unforuntaely, CoVid plus Netflix's aggressive programming strategy means there's going to be a lot of that kind of cancelation. Suppose it depends too on the nature of the show, or where it's being shot.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Unforuntaely, CoVid plus Netflix's aggressive programming strategy means there's going to be a lot of that kind of cancelation. Suppose it depends too on the nature of the show, or where it's being shot.

I was surprised they renewed Warrior Nun a few weeks ago, but then again it's filmed in Spain. Anything filmed in the US is probably at risk for the foreseeable future.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I was surprised they renewed Warrior Nun a few weeks ago, but then again it's filmed in Spain. Anything filmed in the US is probably at risk for the foreseeable future.

Yeah, if the filming location remains dodge then you'd imagine it'll be off limits. Wasn't without reason New Zealand's film industry restarted months ago.

Being too lazy too Google, I wonder how Hungary is faring: I believe that's where Last Kingdom is filmed and it recently got renewed for a fifth season. Must be quite popular for Netflix to commit to a third consecutive season (though wouldn't surprise if it's the last either)

I honestly think part of Netflix's business model is creating lots of new shows that get a lot of hype and therefore viewers but aren't necessarily going to be seen to their conclusion.

People get so excited by anything new, it seems to me, and I can understand why they're doing it that way. Not very satisfying for viewers in some ways though.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Being too lazy too Google, I wonder how Hungary is faring: I believe that's where Last Kingdom is filmed and it recently got renewed for a fifth season. Must be quite popular for Netflix to commit to a third consecutive season (though wouldn't surprise if it's the last either)

Well they had renewed Glow and even had a couple of weeks filming done on it before things shut down, and now it's dead, so there's no guarantee with any of it these days. I know there's worse things happening as a result of this pandemic but entertainment has been one of the few escapes from it all and now we can't even rely on that.

Advertisement