Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,987 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Still watching Deadwind, it's not great but I think subtitles make shows out to be classier than they actually are! It's actually cheesy (under lit) nonsense.

Same as Bordertown, some really silly storylines but still watched all of it.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭p to the e

Watched "American Murder: The Family Next Door". I'm not squeamish in the slightest and normally true murder docs don't get to me but this one stuck with me for days. The coldness and callousness of it all.
    I think we'll never know all the details of this case and only Chris really knows how premeditated it all was. If he truly did not want to be with his wife then why not just leave? Why did his parents not like her? Yeah she was a pain in the arse but just leave. And why the kids? Jesus that was rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,654 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Gutted about teenage bounty hunters it was a real surprise and not what I was expecting.
    But GLOW!!! No season 4 loved that show :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

gmisk wrote: »
    Gutted about teenage bounty hunters it was a real surprise and not what I was expecting.
    But GLOW!!! No season 4 loved that show :(

You'd think someone would pick Glow up even if it's just to wrap it up with a feature length finale. I won't pretend to know the logistics of Covid era production, but theoretically you'd think cast and crew could be put in a bubble for maybe 6 weeks to wrap it up.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Guess I better savour the last two episodes so.

I just noticed this part of your post. I look forward to your reaction to the cliffhanger the season ended on. I expect an expletive laden rant and threats to cancel your subscription:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

One of things Netflix use when deciding on whether or not to renew a show is how many new users to Netflix it will bring - and considering TBH had zero promotion it's not going to bring anything, a ridiculous situation for what is a genuinely brilliant and somewhat unique show.

I was actually looking the other day and there's nothing on Netflix I want to watch at the moment, Ratched doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

I'm considering cancelling my subscription because there's little of value anymore that I can't get from, ahem, other sources...

p to the e wrote: »
    Watched "American Murder: The Family Next Door". I'm not squeamish in the slightest and normally true murder docs don't get to me but this one stuck with me for days. The coldness and callousness of it all.
    I think we'll never know all the details of this case and only Chris really knows how premeditated it all was. If he truly did not want to be with his wife then why not just leave? Why did his parents not like her? Yeah she was a pain in the arse but just leave. And why the kids? Jesus that was rough.

To be honest
    I think he just snapped and went into a kind of shock. He had no plan, no alibi, evidence of the new woman was against him etc. He didn't seem the smartest guy in the history of the world but if it was pre-meditated there'd surely be something lined up. I can't really say much because of course ya can't be mean about the dead but if, up until the last few months, the roles were reversed and a guy treated a woman how she treated him he would rightly be called a dick at a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭p to the e

To be honest
    I think he just snapped and went into a kind of shock. He had no plan, no alibi, evidence of the new woman was against him etc. He didn't seem the smartest guy in the history of the world but if it was pre-meditated there'd surely be something lined up. I can't really say much because of course ya can't be mean about the dead but if, up until the last few months, the roles were reversed and a guy treated a woman how she treated him he would rightly be called a dick at a minimum.

And that's why I think there is more to the case than we see in the documentary.
    She alludes to having gone through some stuff throughout and we can see she's clearly got issues but as I've said before just leave her and go off with your new hot piece of ass. He not only wants to be away from her he seems to have a complete hatred of her built up over time. He definitely wasn't ecstatic about her getting pregnant. Surprised almost. And the fact there's no marks on him shows no sign of a struggle indicating no crime of passion etc. I don't know it all just left me completely cold.

One of things Netflix use when deciding on whether or not to renew a show is how many new users to Netflix it will bring - and considering TBH had zero promotion it's not going to bring anything, a ridiculous situation for what is a genuinely brilliant and somewhat unique show.

I was actually looking the other day and there's nothing on Netflix I want to watch at the moment, Ratched doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

I'm considering cancelling my subscription because there's little of value anymore that I can't get from, ahem, other sources...

Personally I always try to pay for the media I consume, simply because it's always been the way that if something makes money you'll get more of it. However..... streaming is obviously changing that. I'm giving Nerflix my €9 a month or whatever it is, but they're giving it to Ryan Murphy, or the GoT guys, that's $500million between them, while the shows I'm actually watching are getting cancelled after 1 season. I know it's just modern times and all that but it's kind of frustrating not being able to support the things you enjoy in the same direct way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Re: An American Murder

There appears to be more to be uncovered than the documentary can go into.
    Apparently his mistress is quite suspicious but as he pleaded guilty this wasn't taken to trial, and all the other details didn't have to get such close examination. This youtube series goes into it. I've only listened to one and it was very interesting.

• Advertisement

You'd think someone would pick Glow up even if it's just to wrap it up with a feature length finale. I won't pretend to know the logistics of Covid era production, but theoretically you'd think cast and crew could be put in a bubble for maybe 6 weeks to wrap it up.
    Netflix don't give the rights to their show to anyone else as far as I know.
    I think that's why Michaela Coel wouldn't do I may destroy you with them.

The OA for example I think the creators weren't allowed to shop it to other streaming or network services despite there being an audience seemingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Re: An American Murder

There appears to be more to be uncovered than the documentary can go into.
    Apparently his mistress is quite suspicious but as he pleaded guilty this wasn't taken to trial, and all the other details didn't have to get such close examination. This youtube series goes into it. I've only listened to one and it was very interesting.

Will they cancel it before part 2?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

gmisk wrote: »
    Netflix don't give the rights to their show to anyone else as far as I know.
    I think that's why Michaela Coel wouldn't do I may destroy you with them.

The OA for example I think the creators weren't allowed to shop it to other streaming or network services despite there being an audience seemingly.

I think Coel's issue with them was that they would own the property, as in could do what they liked with it. She wanted to keep the rights to it herself. I don't think she had any plans for a S2 or anything, but who knows what Netflix would have done with it.

That One Day at a Time show was Netflix, wasn't it? And it was picked up by a network after they cancelled it. Might be different rules depending on the deals though, Kahan has an exclusive deal with Netflix, so maybe it can't be picked up somewhere else. I can't see why they'd stop it if it's a show they don't want anymore though. Who knows.

I think Coel's issue with them was that they would own the property, as in could do what they liked with it. She wanted to keep the rights to it herself. I don't think she had any plans for a S2 or anything, but who knows what Netflix would have done with it.

That One Day at a Time show was Netflix, wasn't it? And it was picked up by a network after they cancelled it. Might be different rules depending on the deals though, Kahan has an exclusive deal with Netflix, so maybe it can't be picked up somewhere else. I can't see why they'd stop it if it's a show they don't want anymore though. Who knows.
    You could be right.

I have never watched one day at a time but it wouldn't be the norm.
    A quick look at wikipedia said One Day at a Time was the first original program canceled by Netflix to be revived on a traditional linear network.
    It has happened the other way around before say arrested development, and Amazon prime I think did similar with the expanse?!

It's just frustrating that netflix have a habit of killing off good shows with seemingly big fan bases after 1 or 2 seasons, leaving people with no real ending.
    They must be running some algorithms I am guessing based on subscribers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

peteeeed wrote: »
    Inheritance ( Simon pegg)
    After the patriarch of a powerful family passes away, he entrusts his daughter with a secret that no longer wants to remain buried.

Added

He's a superb Comedy actor and can add touches of Drama to his range. But I'm not buying Pegg as a straight Drama actor in this

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

The Jason Bourne movie series will be landing on Netflix on the 23rd of October.

I somehow have not seen any of these so I'll have no excuse now.

Good movie starring Heather Graham arrives tomorrow, I got to see it during lock down and while I wasn't expecting much, I found it to be fairly good. The Rest of Us (2019)

Two mother-daughter duos must contend with their grief and complicated relationships with one another when the person who connects them dies.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8584722/plotsummary?item=po3978715

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

Charlie19 wrote: »
    The Jason Bourne movie series will be landing on Netflix on the 23rd of October.

Good movie starring Heather Graham arrives tomorrow, I got to see it during lock down and while I wasn't expecting much, I found it to be fairly good. The Rest of Us (2019)

Two mother-daughter duos must contend with their grief and complicated relationships with one another when the person who connects them dies.

You’re in for a treat with Bourne.

Mossie1975 wrote: »
    You’re in for a treat with Bourne.

I would second this, the scene with the rolled up magazine is iconic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Charlie19 wrote: »

Don't watch Bourne Legacy. You could probably skip Jason Bourne as well, it's ok but it's definitely the weakest of the Matt Damon movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Don't watch Bourne Legacy. You could probably skip Jason Bourne as well, it's ok but it's definitely the weakest of the Matt Damon movies.

Indeed the original trilogy is a masterpiece.

The rest not so good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

To be honest
    not true, he admitted in an interview that he had been thinking about killing her for weeks, also said the night before he was tucking his kids into bed and said he knew that was the last time he was going to be doing that. U don’t dispose of your kids they way he did if u just snapped, he also ended up having to kill the kids twice as in he thought he had killed the kids already before killing shannan but the kids woke up and walked into their bedroom, kids were bruised and had been through a trauma, said he was angry that the kids had woken up as he thought he had killed them.
    the man is a f*cking monster, what he put his two kids through , an animal wouldn’t do it. He threw shannans body into the truck and kids come along in the truck both alive with their mother dead wrapped in a sheet on the floor of the truck. Had to drive for 45 mins to get to his destination. First disposed of shannans body then comes back kills the youngest in front of the older child and disposed of her and then comes back to the older child Bela who is in the truck who he says fought him and when he put the blanket over her head to smother her she said no Daddy. She knew what the bastard had done and what he was going to do to her. It’s one of the most sickest cases u could ever read about. That poor child.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

To the Lake season 1 (Russian)
    Facing the end of civilization when a terrifying plague strikes, a group risks their lives, loves -- and humanity -- in a brutal struggle to survive.

Hubie Halloween ( no comment :) )
    Adam Sandler brings his signature brand of humour to the trick-or-treat season with this new comedy about Hubie Dubois (Sandler), who thanklessly spends every Halloween making sure the residents of his hometown celebrate safely and play by the rules. But this year, an escaped criminal and a mysterious new neighbour have Hubie on high alert. When people start disappearing, it’s up to Hubie to convince the police that monsters are real.

The Rest Of Us
    When a sudden death unites two mother-daughter duos, the four form an unconventional household as they navigate their grief and complex relationships.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

A new Godzilla anime is coming to Netflix - Polygon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

peteeeed wrote: »
    To the Lake season 1 (Russian)
    Facing the end of civilization when a terrifying plague strikes, a group risks their lives, loves -- and humanity -- in a brutal struggle to survive.

Hubie Halloween ( no comment :) )
    Adam Sandler brings his signature brand of humour to the trick-or-treat season with this new comedy about Hubie Dubois (Sandler), who thanklessly spends every Halloween making sure the residents of his hometown celebrate safely and play by the rules. But this year, an escaped criminal and a mysterious new neighbour have Hubie on high alert. When people start disappearing, it’s up to Hubie to convince the police that monsters are real.

The Rest Of Us
    When a sudden death unites two mother-daughter duos, the four form an unconventional household as they navigate their grief and complex relationships.

added

Woohoo , love Adam Sandler...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Desmond's (6 seasons)
    A barbershop owned by a charismatic British-Guyanese family serves as a social hub for their diverse community in south London.

Enterprice (1 season )
    In South London, two young entrepreneurs attempting to launch a new delivery service business try to overcome parents, girlfriends -- and each other.

Now You See Me 2
    With a new member in the fold, the Four Horsemen use their power of illusion in a heist involving a shady tycoon and revolutionary tech device.

Bigflo & Oli: Hip Hop Frenzy
    Go backstage with French rap duo Bigflo & Oli in this intimate music documentary, then join the superstar siblings as they embark on a major tour.

added

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I used to love Desmond's when I was a kid, I doubt it's aged very well though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Desmonds! Now THERE is a blast from the past. Freakilly, I was talking of it only the other day, when it randomly popped into my head from a "weird shít from my childhood" brain farts. Agreed though, there's no way it can have aged very well.

Hey Pork Pie!

The only line, character or anything I remember from Desmonds

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Into the Spiderverse is coming to Netflix on November the 6th. One of my favourite movies of the 2010s.

• Advertisement

fin12 wrote: »
    Woohoo , love Adam Sandler...
    Why does Adam Sandler consistently do such rubbish?
    He is clearly a capable actor when he wants to be.
    Punch drunk love and uncut gems he was fantastic.

Advertisement