Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hey Pork Pie!

The only line, character or anything I remember from Desmonds

Yup, for a long time I called hats like that porkpie hats.:pac:

Seemingly now i google the show Porkpie had his own spin off for a while :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

gmisk wrote: »
    Why does Adam Sandler consistently do such rubbish?
    He is clearly a capable actor when he wants to be.
    Punch drunk love and uncut gems he was fantastic.

Can't wait by the phone for directors like PTA or Noah Baumbach to call. Might as well make some money in the meantime

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

gmisk wrote: »
    Why does Adam Sandler consistently do such rubbish?
    He is clearly a capable actor when he wants to be.
    Punch drunk love and uncut gems he was fantastic.

Because for some reason there's as big an audience, if not bigger, for his ****e as their is for his rare forays into proper acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Because for some reason there's as big an audience, if not bigger, for his ****e as their is for his rare forays into proper acting.
    Yeah, it pays well and he gets to hang out with his friends. He must have a pretty comfortable life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Sky Q 's next update has Netflix in HDR , its rolling out now and to be with everyone by mid November

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/...r-content-soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Q for folk who have Netflix with Sky Q - can you still watch Netflix on a separate device (e.g. iPad)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Watched the first episode of Desmond's and it's aged ok - not brilliant but entertaining

Q for folk who have Netflix with Sky Q - can you still watch Netflix on a separate device (e.g. iPad)?

yes depending on what tier you are on with netflix i think you can have up to 4 devices watching at the same time

I've been watching a South Korean thing called Crash Landing on You. It's got the most ridiculous premise that I just had to give it a go. Basically a super rich South Korean heiress gets into a paragliding accident and gets blown into the demilitarized zone between North and South Korea. She's found by a NK Captain who has to let her go after he accidentally steps on a landmine (:D), she doesn't trust the direction he gives her and ends up running in the wrong direction and climbing the fence into North Korea. Long story short, the captain and 4 of his soldiers end up keeping her hidden in his house while they try to find a way to smuggle her back to South Korea. There's also sinister NK government types creeping around, and a family business to be inherited back in SK.

It's very ridiculous, and pretty lightweight, but I've found it highly entertaining and it's been doing a brilliant job of switching my brain off from 2020. It's also somewhat educational because I had zero knowledge of life inside North Korea, or even what led to the split.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I'm sure it's been posted already, but I just noticed today that the next batch of Unsolved Mysteries episodes are coming 19th October.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 32,801 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I'm sure it's been posted already, but I just noticed today that the next batch of Unsolved Mysteries episodes are coming 19th October.
      Oh those were excellent well bar one....

The original series is on amazon loads of them, they have not aged well

I've been watching a South Korean thing called Crash Landing on You. It's got the most ridiculous premise that I just had to give it a go. Basically a super rich South Korean heiress gets into a paragliding accident and gets blown into the demilitarized zone between North and South Korea. She's found by a NK Captain who has to let her go after he accidentally steps on a landmine (:D), she doesn't trust the direction he gives her and ends up running in the wrong direction and climbing the fence into North Korea. Long story short, the captain and 4 of his soldiers end up keeping her hidden in his house while they try to find a way to smuggle her back to South Korea. There's also sinister NK government types creeping around, and a family business to be inherited back in SK.

It's very ridiculous, and pretty lightweight, but I've found it highly entertaining and it's been doing a brilliant job of switching my brain off from 2020. It's also somewhat educational because I had zero knowledge of life inside North Korea, or even what led to the split.

sounds good

I watched Crash Landing on You at the start of lockdown in March. The only other Korean programmes I had previously watched at the time was Kingdom and Mr Sunshine, so I had no idea what I was in for. I loved it :D

I watched Crash Landing on You at the start of lockdown in March. The only other Korean programmes I had previously watched at the time was Kingdom and Mr Sunshine, so I had no idea what I was in for. I loved it :D

I had actually started Kingdom and it was too bright in the room and I couldn't see the TV properly so I said I'd leave it until later but got sidetracked by Crash Landing on You. Kingdom will have to wait.
      I haven't seen any of the other Korean dramas but I'm enjoying how CLoY seems to knowingly poke fun at them a little bit with the soldier who is obsessed with the ones he's watching on 10 year old bootleg videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Watched the first 2 episodes of To the Lake. I really like it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I had actually started Kingdom and it was too bright in the room and I couldn't see the TV properly so I said I'd leave it until later but got sidetracked by Crash Landing on You. Kingdom will have to wait.
      I haven't seen any of the other Korean dramas but I'm enjoying how CLoY seems to knowingly poke fun at them a little bit with the soldier who is obsessed with the ones he's watching on 10 year old bootleg videos.

There's tonnes of Korean melodramas on netflix, my OH has watched loads of them. I wouldn't really lump Kingdom in with them though (even if some of the period ones have similar plot elements) but Crash Landing on You sounds exactly like a standard K-Drama. It's a pretty big rabbit hole to fall into, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole but the OH loves them. :D

Strong Girl Bong-soon is one she liked a lot I think.

Mickeroo wrote: »
      There's tonnes of Korean melodramas on netflix, my OH has watched loads of them. I wouldn't really lump Kingdom in with them though (even if some of the period ones have similar plot elements) but Crash Landing on You sounds exactly like a standard K-Drama. It's a pretty big rabbit hole to fall into, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole but the OH loves them. :D

Oh I know Kingdom is not in the "K Drama" bracket. I think that's the point the OP was making. If that's your only exposure to a Korean show then Crash Landing on You would be a vastly different experience.
      Someone actually recommended K-Dramas to me when we were talking about Grand Hotel, which is a Spanish show in a similar vein (also on Netflix and a lot of fun) They're like well written soaps with super high production values and an end point. They're not for everyone but definitely a great way to switch off.

Edit: I just looked up Strong Girl Bong-soon and it sounds just the right amount of ridiculous for me.

Mickeroo wrote: »

Oh I know Kingdom is not in the "K Drama" bracket. I think that's the point the OP was making. If that's your only exposure to a Korean show then Crash Landing on You would be a vastly different experience.
      Someone actually recommended K-Dramas to me when we were talking about Grand Hotel, which is a Spanish show in a similar vein (also on Netflix and a lot of fun) They're like well written soaps with super high production values and an end point. They're not for everyone but definitely a great way to switch off.

Edit: I just looked up Strong Girl Bong-soon and it sounds just the right amount of ridiculous for me.

Yes, Kingdom most defintely is not a K drama :)
      I fell down the K drama rabbit hole since watching Crash Landing on You, and it's completely daft entertainment, but no regrets here :D
      Strong Girl Bong-soon is actually next on my list!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

peteeeed wrote: »
      Sky Q 's next update has Netflix in HDR , its rolling out now and to be with everyone by mid November

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/...r-content-soon

Link has been chopped, but I imagine only available to those with Sky Q boxes than can manage HDR, which anyone with an earlier version won't. And Sky want money from you if you want to switch up.

Knine wrote: »
      Oh I had that on my list will defo check it out

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I'm not sure of what your described actually bears any resemblance, but I've ended up just picturing it as an Asian Allo Allo. :)

Knine wrote: »
      Watched episode 1.
      It is really excellent!
      Pacy and very entertaining

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Collateral is a decent watch.

The Haunting of Bly Manor: Season 1
      Inspired by the works of Henry James, including The Turn of the Screw, if this follow-up to The Haunting of Hill House has a fraction of that show’s scares and serious examination of trauma and fear, it’s going to be something very special indeed.

Fast & Furious: Spy Racers: Season 2
      Based on Universal’s multi-billion dollar franchise, Netflix’s animated series follows teenager Tony Toretto, who takes after his cousin Dom when he and his friends are recruited by a government agency to infiltrate an elite racing league serving as a front for a nefarious crime organisation bent on world domination. Now, they’re back for a second lap.

The Forty-Year Old Version
      Written and directed by Radha Blank, this Sundance winning drama follows frustrated New Yorker Radha (played by Blank), who, nearing 40 and still struggling as a playwright, turns to a different kind of stage, awakening a rapper alter-ego named RadhaMUSprime. As her revitalised artistic voice blossoms, Radha must learn to juggle her two personas and two unique New York art scenes.

Deaf U Season 1
      In this reality series, a tight-knit group of Deaf and hard of hearing students share their stories and explore life at Gallaudet University.

El testigo
      Colombian photojournalist Jesús Abad Colorado shares the stories behind a series of civil war photographs he captured throughout the '80s and '90s.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 43,901 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Been reading some fairly poor reviews for 'Bly Manor'..

.. hoping they're wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Basq wrote: »
      Been reading some fairly poor reviews for 'Bly Manor'..

.. hoping they're wrong!

Where? Any I've seen have been great

• Registered Users Posts: 43,901 ✭✭✭✭Basq

https://www.nme.com/en_asia/reviews/tv-reviews/the-haunting-of-bly-manor-review-2777529

It is NME mind.. they also gave Tenet 5 stars! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Seems Bly Manor not anywhere near as scary as Hill House, which is disappointing to hear since Mike Flannagan boasted it would have more scares.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,899 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

peteeeed wrote: »
      The Haunting of Bly Manor: Season 1
      Inspired by the works of Henry James, including The Turn of the Screw, if this follow-up to The Haunting of Hill House has a fraction of that show’s scares and serious examination of trauma and fear, it’s going to be something very special indeed.

Great, I didn't want to sleep this weekend anyway

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

While others are happy to see Bly Manor available, I'm here thinking "Cool, new season of Spy Racers".
      Family!

Will be watching Bly Manor as well

Advertisement