Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Hi All
    In the mood for a SCI-FI film this evening with my few cans of Guinness :-)
    Any recommendations ?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Debub

Hi All
    Any recommendations ?

Anihilation / Ex Machina

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Debub wrote: »
    Anihilation / Ex Machina
    On a similar note, they have Ex Machina. Both on the thinking man's end of scifi.

On the trashier, actiony end of the genre, you have movies like Oblivion, Ready Player One, Species, Jupiter Ascendant, the remake of Total Recall, Riddick, Deep Impact, Demolition Man, Outlander, and Cowboys and Aliens.

Somewhere in the middle, you have The Martian, Jurassic Park, and Inception.

Someone will disagree with one of those categorisations, but it's not like I've put any thought into them. Just to pick one from each:

Ex Machina is about a programmer brought to test a new android by his eccentric boss. Is it sentient? What's his boss hiding? Great cast (Gleeson, Vikander, Isaac), looks slick. From Alex Garland, who wrote stuff like Sunshine, Dredd, and 28 Days Later.

Outlander is good trashy fun. An alien (Jim Caviezel) crash lands near a Viking settlement, which lets a monster out. He teams up with the Vikings to kill it.

The Martian is a big Ridley Scott flick from a few years ago. Matt Damon is stranded on Mars. He maguivers his way to survival as the GDP of a small country is spent attempting to rescue him. Quite realistic for the most part, looks great, lots of humour, and a fun soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Hi All
    Any recommendations ?

life .. its pretty good,good tension, ryan reynolds and jake gylenhall

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Thought this was some witty response about how our lives feel like some dystopian sci movie right now but then realised there's a Ryan Reynolds/Jake Gyllenhaal movie called Life that I am completely unaware of.

I blame the lack of title case used in recommending the movie. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I've watched but twice,which is always a good sign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

life .. its pretty good,good tension, ryan reynolds and jake gylenhall

Not on my Netflix?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Sum of all Fears, one of the Jack Ryan films is an easy and fun watch. Could have spent a bit more on the production and effects though

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Don't watch Bourne Legacy. You could probably skip Jason Bourne as well, it's ok but it's definitely the weakest of the Matt Damon movies.

Jason Bourne is basically the same plot as Bourne Ultimatum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

rob316 wrote: »
    Jason Bourne is basically the same plot as Bourne Ultimatum.

And yet Ultimatum is so much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Fancied something brain-dead, stuck on Hubie Halloween. Proud/ashamed to say I lasted an hour. Wow. Just wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Legends of the fall
    Doom ( 2005)

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Fancied something brain-dead, stuck on Hubie Halloween. Proud/ashamed to say I lasted an hour. Wow. Just wow.

That good ? Potential awards run ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

So I watched The Dark Tower and it was ok-ish, herself hadn't read the books and enjoyed it for what it was whereas I was a little peeved to say the least.

If they had scrapped the Dark Tower connection and called it something else it would have been an alright film.

Apparently it is supposed to be a sequel that picks up exactly where the books left off but I don't see that at all and can only assume they were trying to cover up what is a horrific adaptation.

That good ? Potential awards run ?

It's an epic. Honestly gotta hand it to Sandler. He must have stumbled upon some sort of subliminal hypnotherapy techniques. I even read some semi positive critic reviews!

Worse than covid-19.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

peteeeed wrote: »

One of the first things I watched when I first got Netflix was Dawson's Creek, and my God, it has aged terribly! It's kind of hilarious when you realise they're supposed to be 15 and 16 at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Watched American murder, oh man that is one cold bastard. 2 of the most beautiful little girls, how could ya do it? Really tough watch that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

It's an epic. Honestly gotta hand it to Sandler. He must have stumbled upon some sort of subliminal hypnotherapy techniques. I even read some semi positive critic reviews!

Worse than covid-19.

When I see movies like uncut gems and how good and actor he can be, it makes me wonder why does he makes these trash movies ? Then I check his net worth.... $420,000,000 in the bank....

When I see movies like uncut gems and how good and actor he can be, it makes me wonder why does he makes these trash movies ? Then I check his net worth.... $420,000,000 in the bank....

Quarter of a BILLION production contract with Netflix. It's worth a watch as a form of a human study. Maybe the perfect analogy for how humanity is fvcked :pac:

With Hubie he seems to be going for an "Ernest does..." chain vibe. He somehow makes Ernest seem like Hitchcock though.

The cast is hilarious too. Huge payday for all his mates and people you imagine he saw on his favourite shows (the shield, better call Saul), his daughters, and their favourites. Incredible stuff.

• Advertisement

You're a better man than me. I lasted 35 minutes watching out of morbid curiosity.
    Only plus point that I take out of the movie is that Julie Bowen is exceptionally well preserved for a 50 year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Tried watching Juliet, Naked last night after seeing it mentioned here but stopped it after half an hour

Personally, the ol' attention span really wanders with anything that's less than a solid 7/10 these days because of the huge amount of choice we now have

Juliet, Naked felt like a 5 at best

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I thought it was okay, even if Sandler is playing the same character, AGAIN. But the kids here laughed their heads off at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

I thought it was okay, even if Sandler is playing the same character, AGAIN. But the kids here laughed their heads off at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Tried watching Juliet, Naked last night after seeing it mentioned here but stopped it after half an hour

Personally, the ol' attention span really wanders with anything that's less than a solid 7/10 these days because of the huge amount of choice we now have

Juliet, Naked felt like a 5 at best

I really enjoyed it. I thought Chris O'Dowd was perfect as the super fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I’m a big Adam Sandler fan but that halloween film was absolutely crap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,789 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

To The Lake- 8 episodes, not bad at all, very watchable, leaves it nicely open for a season 2,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭This is it

The Haunting of Bly Manor
    I just watched episode 5 and I haven't a clue what's going on. 1-4 was grand, I was missing bits I'm sure but was following, no idea what was going on with Hannah though

Not as good as The Haunting of Hill House so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

This is it wrote: »
    The Haunting of Bly Manor
    I just watched episode 5 and I haven't a clue what's going on. 1-4 was grand, I was missing bits I'm sure but was following, no idea what was going on with Hannah though

Not as good as The Haunting of Hill House so far.

Is Bly Manor a continuation of Hill House, or could you watch Bly Manor without having watched Hill House?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is Bly Manor a continuation of Hill House, or could you watch Bly Manor without having watched Hill House?

Same creative team, otherwise completely separate story and characters(as far as I know).

Hill House is brilliant though, if you haven't watched it you're in for a treat.

Advertisement