Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Cabin with Bert Kreischer season 1
    Fast-living comic Bert Kreischer heads to a cabin for some self-care and invites his funny friends to join his quest to cleanse his mind, body and soul.

I Am Vengeance: Retaliation
    To clear his criminal record, an ex-special forces soldier agrees to lead a team to retrieve a double-crossing mercenary and deliver him to justice.

Octonauts & the Great Barrier Reef
    In this musical special, the Octonauts must find a way to hold back hungry swarms of coral-eating starfish to save a new friend's fragile reef home.

House of the Witch
    A group of daring teens finds themselves in a fight for their lives inside a haunted house when a sinister spirit crashes their Halloween party.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Binged on Bly Manor last couple of days. Preferred it to Hill House, thought it had more depth and the characters were more likeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

Binged on Bly Manor last couple of days. Preferred it to Hill House, thought it had more depth and the characters were more likeable.

I’ve been talking myself in and out of this
    Just how slow moving is it .....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

km79 wrote: »
    I’ve been talking myself in and out of this
    Just how slow moving is it .....

First two maybe three episodes are shockingly slow but it is good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Thought the exact opposite, tried 2 episodes and cannot watch any more. The kids in comparison with HH are totally unlikeable. I really liked young Nell and Luke in particular in HH. But Flora is just unbearably irritating. Everything is "perfectly splendid!"

• Advertisement

The Three Deaths of Marisela Escobedo
    This documentary examines a mother's tireless crusade to jail her daughter's murderer after Mexico's justice system failed to do so.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I just finished the UK version of The Office.
    It was excellent I can see why it sparked off so many other versions. I loved to hate David Brent and the Gareth/Tim frenemy storyline was great.

I was fierce unhappy at the end of the second season because of
    Tim and Dawn not getting together
    .They rectified that in the Christmas special though.I was about to slate the series when the taxi was heading off in the last episode.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 20,027 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

It was excellent I can see why it sparked off so many other versions. I loved to hate David Brent and the Gareth/Tim frenemy storyline was great.

.They rectified that in the Christmas special though.I was about to slate the series when the taxi was heading off in the last episode.:P

its worth a rewatch in a few months, one of the best comedies ever,

extras is also very good, and peep show if you enjoyed the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭p to the e

Cyrus wrote: »

And don't waste your time with the David Brent movie. No idea what he was thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭joeguevara

p to the e wrote: »
    And don't waste your time with the David Brent movie. No idea what he was thinking.

I was really looking forward to watching 'Life on the Road'. I found it to be very depressing as he was bullied from start to finish. Definitely not the same as the Office.

I liked the Invention of Lying but i could see how others didn't.

I said it before and I'll say it again, Derek is his best work and the laughs as well as tears that are in every episode makes it formidable.

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »

It's been years since I watched the Office UK, it's not one for binging, unless you can handle all the second hand cringe from David Brent. I loved when they had Stephen Merchant's dad do the cameos.

Peep Show is excellent too, the second hand cringe was more bearable I think, or maybe I was getting immune to it :)

I haven't seen Extras, but I will recommend Spaced and the IT Crowd, if you haven't watched those already.

I'm amazed I didn't ever hear of this, or maybe I did and I've blocked it from my memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Excellent,thanks for the recomendations.So many decent british comedies that I missed out on first time around.

It's been years since I watched the Office UK, it's not one for binging, unless you can handle all the second hand cringe from David Brent. I loved when they had Stephen Merchant's dad do the cameos.

Peep Show is excellent too, the second hand cringe was more bearable I think, or maybe I was getting immune to it :)

I haven't seen Extras, but I will recommend Spaced and the IT Crowd, if you haven't watched those already.

I'm amazed I didn't ever hear of this, or maybe I did and I've blocked it from my memory.

Toast of London and Cuckoo are two other excellent UK comedies to go with Spaced and IT Crowd. Indeed Black Books is absolutely top class and all on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Terence Rattigan

I enjoyed it but can see why some mightn`t. I actually went to the cinema to see it, remember when you could do that?

I enjoyed it but can see why some mightn`t. I actually went to the cinema to see it, remember when you could do that?

The Gypsy song is brilliant in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

joeguevara wrote: »
    The Gypsy song is brilliant in it.

I said, I don't need no heather and if I did,
    I would just pick some it's free it's growing in the ground

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    I said, I don't need no heather and if I did,
    I would just pick some it's free it's growing in the ground

Just to confirm the s3x is free now?

joeguevara wrote: »
    Toast of London and Cuckoo are two other excellent UK comedies to go with Spaced and IT Crowd. Indeed Black Books is absolutely top class and all on Netflix.

Oh I didn't even realise Black Books was on Netflix! Toast of London is one I need to watch, and I will only acknowledge season one of Cuckoo, season two was very questionable, and so I didn't attempt watching season 3.

Oh I didn't even realise Black Books was on Netflix! Toast of London is one I need to watch, and I will only acknowledge season one of Cuckoo, season two was very questionable, and so I didn't attempt watching season 3.

I actually liked all seasons of cuckoo. Indeed it takes a little getting used to but all good imo.

Well Stephen merchant wasn't involved in any way, so I suppose it shows what he brought to the scripts and directing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,871 ✭✭✭✭Basq

peteeeed wrote: »
    Well Stephen merchant wasn't involved in any way, so I suppose it shows what he brought to the scripts and directing
    To be fair, "Hello Ladies” wasn’t exactly brilliant either!

Both Gervais and Merchant failed with “Life’s Too Short”.

Loved both "Derek" and "After Life” (the first series moreso).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Basq wrote: »
    To be fair, "Hello Ladies” wasn’t exactly brilliant either!

Both Gervais and Merchant failed with “Life’s Too Short”.

Loved both "Derek" and "After Life” (the first series moreso).

Stephen merchant is now one of the biggest stars in Hollywood after his star turns in Logan and jo jo rabbit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Stephen merchant is now one of the biggest stars in Hollywood after his star turns in Logan and jo jo rabbit.

One of the biggest stars in Hollywood? Hardly...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

He is very tall, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Yep. Me too, could not stop watching it.

Episode 5 really struck me, almost like a stand alone theatre piece (the last series to do that for me was Penny Dreadful with the excellent actress Patti LuPone). The Bly Manor characters all had a great presence. I can see why some do not rate it as highly as the tighter story of HH, but for me Bly Manor was deeper, richer. The stories within stories were very well done - excellent writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Re: Cuckoo

Give it another go my friend, if you had told me umpteen years ago I'd love Taylor Lautner I would have had you committed but he absolutely steals the show and is excellent in it

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Re: Cuckoo

Give it another go my friend, if you had told me umpteen years ago I'd love Taylor Lautner I would have had you committed but he absolutely steals the show and is excellent in it

I've only watched the first two seasons and I remember thinking I would drop the show when I saw Samberg was only in one season but Lautner is actually great in it, much better than Samberg was imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,871 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, that's a stretch.. and also "stretch" is what people called him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Really enjoyed Inheritance

Felt Simon Peggs character was only getting going when
    he was shot

• Advertisement

He has done amazingly. Net worth of 40 mil and moved from U.K. small screen to US hits like Modern family as well as movies with the Rock.

But to say that he is one of the biggest stars in Hollywood is a huge stretch. He is a bit player at best. I don’t think he could have a sit com or movie where he was the main star.

Adam Sandler has a net worth of half a billion but is only the 9th biggest earner in Hollywood. The rock being number 1.

Interesting that James corden is probably the biggest U.K. star in the US at the moment. I was blown away by his talent when he covered a McCartney song to vilify trump

https://youtu.be/5C76XMCJCVs

Advertisement