Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

joeguevara wrote: »
    See this is another thing that has blown my mind. I have only started watching it in the last couple of years and had no idea that that episode was from 2007. Such a great show that was prophesising events that would happen in the future.

"Taking a knee" is a pretty common expression in American sports and existed before it became associated with anything other than simply kneeling while your coach gives you instructions or a pep talk or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I watched 4 episodes of The Catherine Tate show on Sat. Forgot how funny it was. Very un PC and loads of catchphrases

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

"Taking a knee" is a pretty common expression in American sports and existed before it became associated with anything other than simply kneeling while your coach gives you instructions or a pep talk or whatever.

Yeah, I was watching something over the weekend, can't remember what it was, a sports team were in a huddle and the coach says to them to take a knee so they all rest on one knee. Sony wasn't being prescient about what was to come with the NFL and BLM.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Unsolved Mysteries: Volume 2
    Netflix’s hit reboot of the 1980s true crime docuseries returns to tell the stories of more unsolved cases with another opportunity for viewers to turn armchair detective.

Out of Life
    Share: WhatsAppTelegram Kidnapped by guerrillas in Beirut, a French photojournalist refuses to yield his dignity despite being tortured and brainwashed by his captors

a few arabic films and docs

added

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Watched Inheritance on sat. Fairly poor movie. Badly cast & a ridiculous story. Twist was obvious too.

My kids liked Hubie Halloween. I don't get why Adam Sandler likes this kind of idiot character. He was so good in uncut gems but he always seems to revert to type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

km79 wrote: »
    Hubie Halloween
    It’s the waterboy at Halloween
    I like the Waterboy. I like Halloween. I like Adam Sandler comedies .

If you do as well you will enjoy it.
    If you do not you won’t :D

It’s probably 15 minutes too long though !

Myself and the kids had a bit of craic watching it. It did create an unexpected query from my daughter, what's a boner?

His voice is annoying though, but there's a wide ranging supporting cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Bly Manor. Wanted to hate it for some reason but it's good. It's just not very scary, even the jump scares do nothing for me.

Found this to be terrible . Stopped after episode 3 because life is too short !

• Subscribers Posts: 41,489 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Bly Manor. Wanted to hate it for some reason but it's good. It's just not very scary, even the jump scares do nothing for me.

its essentially a romantic gothic love story, with a sprinkle of horror

rather than a horror story.

i enjoyed it, not as much as hill house, but the story was good, the acting was good (especially the kids) and it didn't rely on sudden jerk horror

• Registered Users Posts: 8,790 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

My mate just can’t get into it so it’s not for everyone.

What a jabroni

• Registered Users Posts: 11,954 ✭✭✭✭GBX

sydthebeat wrote: »
    its essentially a romantic gothic love story, with a sprinkle of horror

rather than a horror story.

i enjoyed it, not as much as hill house, but the story was good, the acting was good (especially the kids) and it didn't rely on sudden jerk horror

Thats exactly it. I read something on how they wanted to change direction from how scary Haunted Hill was.

I enjoyed it very much as well. Knowing this before hand I wasnt let down as some others who expected a scary program.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Watched Rampage last night. Classic Dwayne Rock action movie. All very black and white, good and bad guys easily recognisable, no grey areas or character development. Just 90 mins of good action and effects. Easy watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Daz_ wrote: »
    Found this to be terrible . Stopped after episode 3 because life is too short !

Exactly the same. I wanted to like it as much as anyone after thinking Hill House was a masterpiece.
    Just found it too slow, characters had no likeability and didn't like the direction of the story. Stopped after Episode 3.

Instead starting watching Derek.
    Couldn't get into it before, but what an absolute joy to behold. Gervais is phenomenal in it. I'm a big Karl Pilkington fan too so it's fun seeing him act. David Earl is hilarious as Kev. It's a great reflection on life and how we should all treat one another. Really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I liked the themes of Bly Manor; it's a show that makes you think in a way, reality, rationality, dreams etc. As someone said before, I think they purposely toned down the potential jump scares. When they do include them, they're always understated and seems to be deliberate.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,656 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

peteeeed wrote: »
    Unsolved Mysteries: Volume 2
    Netflix’s hit reboot of the 1980s true crime docuseries returns to tell the stories of more unsolved cases with another opportunity for viewers to turn armchair detective.

Out of Life
    Share: WhatsAppTelegram Kidnapped by guerrillas in Beirut, a French photojournalist refuses to yield his dignity despite being tortured and brainwashed by his captors

a few arabic films and docs

added
    Ohhh unsolved mysteries it is!
    Part 1 had some cracking episodes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Exactly the same. I wanted to like it as much as anyone after thinking Hill House was a masterpiece.
    Just found it too slow, characters had no likeability and didn't like the direction of the story. Stopped after Episode 3.

Instead starting watching Derek.
    Couldn't get into it before, but what an absolute joy to behold. Gervais is phenomenal in it. I'm a big Karl Pilkington fan too so it's fun seeing him act. David Earl is hilarious as Kev. It's a great reflection on life and how we should all treat one another. Really enjoying it.

I just love when somebody likes Derek as much as me. He literally is a perfect character. The laughter, tears, drama, tension, and just pure love that emanates from the show is outstanding.

People are weary of the concept of plaing a 50 year old autistic man who works in an old folks home as it could be patronising or kitsch. But Ricky Gervais just becomes something unique.

When you are finished all of it, I would recommend going to youtube and watch every seasons extended outtakes. Some of the funnies tv you will ever watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,547 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Kurt and Goldie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

loved the first one

• Registered Users Posts: 10,987 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

loved the first one

So did I, not totally convinced by this trailer though.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

gmisk wrote: »

Same here , looking forward to start watching it later tonight !

• Registered Users Posts: 39,833 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

gmisk wrote: »

I just say the email saying the second season was added. That first season was great and I think at least one case was reopened and some movement happened. I think it was the young lad who was found by a creek after the party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Taiga

I just love when somebody likes Derek as much as me. He literally is a perfect character. The laughter, tears, drama, tension, and just pure love that emanates from the show is outstanding.

People are weary of the concept of plaing a 50 year old autistic man who works in an old folks home as it could be patronising or kitsch. But Ricky Gervais just becomes something unique.

When you are finished all of it, I would recommend going to youtube and watch every seasons extended outtakes. Some of the funnies tv you will ever watch.

An amazing piece of tv. So heartbreaking in parts but mostly hilarious. I started it expecting it to be a difficult watch but loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Just finished Bly. A fantastic final episode and closing sequence. Genuinely beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Disappearance at Clifton Hill
    Tormented by a disturbing childhood memory, a young woman returns to her hometown of Niagara Falls and uncovers the grim details of a boy's abduction.

The Magic School Bus Rides Again The Frizz Connection
    Lightning splits the Magic School Bus into three pieces, scattering the class across the globe with different versions of Ms. Frizzle aboard each bus

added

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Just finished Bly. A fantastic final episode and closing sequence. Genuinely beautiful.

Loved the whole series but the ending didn't do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

Watched the first two episodes of Song Exploder last night. Really enjoyed it - before watching it I didn't think I'd be interested because it's not artists or songs that I'm really in to but that didn't matter at all and now I want to listen to more, at least from Sampha.

Went to bed then and listened to an episode from the podcast series (Cranberries). Also very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Podcast is great. Nine Inch Nails is going to be one of the next batch coming in December which I'm looking forward to. Trent Reznor will be talking about Hurt. Turns out he was the one who first suggested turning the podcast into a TV show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

budgemook wrote: »
    Watched the first two episodes of Song Exploder last night. .

The concept of this looks great, but surely they could've picked bigger songs for the show?
    On September 17, 2020, a television series based on the podcast was announced, which premiered on October 2, 2020 on Netflix,[11] with 4 episodes:
    Volume Two will be released December 15, 2020 with the following songs featured:

Only "Losing My Religion" is jumping out at me as a major, major song worthy of it's own episode on a show like this

Will give it a go though. it sounds like the old Classic Albums BBC show, except songs instead of albums

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    The concept of this looks great, but surely they could've picked bigger songs for the show?

[/LIST]

Only "Losing My Religion" is jumping out at me as a major, major song worthy of it's own episode on a show like this

Will give it a go though. it sounds like the old Classic Albums BBC show, except songs instead of albums

Yeah, that’s kinda what I thought before I watched it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

ShineOn7 wrote: »

The podcast that it's spun off from involves artists describing the song writing process of recent songs rather than getting them to look back retrospectively at songs written close to 30 years ago. I'm actually a little surprised they have gone with a few "classic" songs. Maybe it's necessary to get the required viewers on a less niche medium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,029 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Haven't watched the trailer myself since I plan on watching the film. Out November 25th

Advertisement