Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Three More Big Sleeps

Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    Is Season 5 the latest one with Stephen Graham in it? Line of Duty is excellent.

Yes, indeed. I can't really say much more than that without entering spoilers territory :) He's excellent though.

I think this has been the best season so far; it's like a coiled spring being wound, the tension ramping up over the first five episodes, culminating in an explosive finale.

Cannot wait for SE06, partly filmed in my hometown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Have been watching Spotless the last week or so. Crime scene cleaner starts cleaning for gangsters to hide crimes.
    Nothing spectacular, but v watchable and hasn't dropped into crime of the week at all which helps. I'm still intrigued where it will end up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

46 Long wrote: »
    Just released today. Highly recommended.

Love the look of that, will be watching at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

David Fincher Signs A 4-Year Exclusive Deal With Netflix

https://theplaylist.net/david-fincher-netflix-exclusive-deal-20201111/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Have been watching Spotless the last week or so. Crime scene cleaner starts cleaning for gangsters to hide crimes.
    Nothing spectacular, but v watchable and hasn't dropped into crime of the week at all which helps. I'm still intrigued where it will end up.

I was reading this post and getting an odd feeling of Deja Vu, turns out Id already watched it back in 2016!
    apparently it was to get a 2nd season but never did. I remember enjoying it a lot at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Yes, indeed. I can't really say much more than that without entering spoilers territory :) He's excellent though.

I think this has been the best season so far; it's like a coiled spring being wound, the tension ramping up over the first five episodes, culminating in an explosive finale.

Cannot wait for SE06, partly filmed in my hometown.

Great. Looking forward to it.

If I'm correct then your home town may be the town I've blown into.

Am I right in saying that some of it was filmed in Bray?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

peteeeed wrote: »
    David Fincher Signs A 4-Year Exclusive Deal With Netflix

https://theplaylist.net/david-fincher-netflix-exclusive-deal-20201111/

I will never trust this partnership after they stole mind hunter from us.

well will this mean it may come back , the only thing that's the problem is flncher doesn't sound too interested in running the whole show , maybe he could exec produce

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

well will this mean it may come back , the only thing that's the problem is flncher doesn't sound too interested in running the whole show , maybe he could exec produce

I could live with that, will need to get a New actor for that crazy kid.... would be too old at this stage

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

They did? I was under the strong impression that it was due to David Fincher not having enough time to do it because he's a control freak and not Netflix themselves.

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    They did? I was under the strong impression that it was due to David Fincher not having enough time to do it because he's a control freak and not Netflix themselves.

yep, i see this deal as a positive sign for a season 3

• Registered Users Posts: 86,560 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    If by great reviews you mean absolutely terrible, then sure.

The reviews I saw were good :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭DenMan

I'm really enjoying 'To the Lake'. It's set in Moscow during a pandemic and it's dubbed in English. Half way through it now with its eight episode season. It has been renewed for a second season according to Russian media, and may air the end of next year with filming expected in early to mid 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

DenMan wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying 'To the Lake'. It's set in Moscow during a pandemic and it's dubbed in English. Half way through it now with its eight episode season. It has been renewed for a second and may air the end of next year with filming expected in early to mid 2021.

I've watched 3 episodes, it's not bad, Polina is quite striking

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

I'm really enjoying 'To the Lake'. It's set in Moscow during a pandemic and it's dubbed in English. Half way through it now with its eight episode season. It has been renewed for a second season according to Russian media, and may air the end of next year with filming expected in early to mid 2021.

I second this! However I would recommend subtitles and original voices . The dubbing just doesn’t Work for me !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,918 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

yep, i see this deal as a positive sign for a season 3
    Recent quotes suggest they weren't getting enough viewers to justify the high production costs. But if they're willing to give him $100,000,000+ then they can surely push the boat out for one more season (BTK killer needs to be covered).
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The reviews I saw were good :o

I've seen it savaged by some critics. But sure it's all just opinion at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Daz_ wrote: »
    I second this! However I would recommend subtitles and original voices . The dubbing just doesn’t Work for me !

Yep finished this a few weeks back, every episode was great and finished off brilliantly, I always watch with original dialogue and subtitles, I even use subtitles on English speaking programs now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

The Queen's Gambit

Believe the hype!

It's the best thing Netflix have done in ages

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭paddyref

whatever76 wrote: »
    yea finished it last night - really enjoyed it, was sorry it finised. opened up a whole new world to me regarding Chess.

It so well made and the 60's set design was so well done I thought ( brought me back to Mad Men) - Anya Taylor-Joy was brilliant !
    Really enjoyed it, + 1 on your comments on set design and Taylor-Joy, she really got the dynamic of a chess player off to a tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I added a movie to my list on Amazon called Elsewhere but I mistakenly thought it was Netflix and after watching a very different movie to the one I originally added, I found Elsewhere to be fairly good.

Elsewhere 2019 starring Aden Young and Ken Jeong.
    After the death of his wife, Bruno fights a battle with the in laws over the ownership of the house he built with his recently deceased wife.

• Advertisement

Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey
    Set in the gloriously vibrant town of Cobbleton, the film follows legendary toymaker Jeronicus Jangle (Academy Award winner Forest Whitaker) whose fanciful inventions burst with whimsy and wonder. But when his trusted apprentice (Emmy winner Keegan-Michael Key) steals his most prized creation, it’s up to his equally bright and inventive granddaughter (newcomer Madalen Mills) — and a long-forgotten invention — to heal old wounds and reawaken the magic within. From the imagination of writer-director David E. Talbert, Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey reminds us of the strength of family and the power of possibility. Featuring original songs by John Legend, Philip Lawrence, Davy Nathan, and This Day performed by Usher and Kiana Ledé.

The Life Ahead
    Sophia Loren stars in this drama about a Holocaust survivor running a daycare business forms an unlikely friendship with a bitter street kid when she takes him in after he robs her.

Scandal in Sorrento (1955 sophia loren)
    When a marshal moves back to his hometown, he finds a woman renting his property who refuses to leave but soon captures his affection.

The Sign of Venus (1955 sophia loren)
    While suitors swoon over her cousin, a single woman takes initiative in finding herself a partner after receiving a favorable romantic fortune.

The Minions of Midas
    A millionaire publisher gets a blackmail note — his decision can mean life or death. Inspired by a Jack London story but set in contemporary Madrid.

added

Girlfriends (8 seasons )
    Four close friends in Los Angeles challenge and support each other through life's triumphs and disasters. Sophisticated, relatable and always funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I was going to watch the new Liam Neeson flick - Honest THief on Netflix last night. I thought it was a Netflix movie. But I couldn't find it on the search bar.
    Is it not available to us?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I really enjoyed it too. It's a bit Hollywoodesque at times, but I found it entertaining and even charming at times. Looking forward to the next season. As other have said, watch it with subtitles. Watching anything dubbed is a crime against entertainment.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I was going to watch the new Liam Neeson flick - Honest THief on Netflix last night. I thought it was a Netflix movie. But I couldn't find it on the search bar.
    Is it not available to us?

It's not on Netflix full stop

There's no mention of it on the film's Wiki

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    It's not on Netflix full stop

There's no mention of it on the film's Wiki

Ok. THanks. I thought it was a netflix production.
    If any other way to view it, maybe you could drop a PM.
    THanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Ok. THanks. I thought it was a netflix production.
    If any other way to view it, maybe you could drop a PM.
    THanks.
    https://www.justwatch.com/ie

You'll find it here, wherever it is available to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

Thank you for this link!

Cheers for the link. But not on that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Probably 3 years late, not a trekkie but found Discovery very watchable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Probably 3 years late, not a trekkie but found Discovery very watchable

Run away now before the haters find you.

I've encountered hate watchers before and people who like to drag on a show, I've been guilty of it myself but my god the Trekkies who dislike Discovery (and it's not all of them) seem to get some sort of sexual gratification out of tearing the show to shreds rather than just stop watching like any sane person might.

Advertisement