Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

White Boy Rick- very enjoyable after the first 30 minutes.

Trial of the Chicago 7- couldn’t get into it at all, maybe i need to watch it again but couldn’t understand the hype.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

den87 wrote: »
    Trial of the Chicago 7- couldn’t get into it at all, maybe i need to watch it again but couldn’t understand the hype.

I've seen equally as many awful reviews for Chicago 7 as I've seen hyping it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I've seen equally as many awful reviews for Chicago 7 as I've seen hyping it up.

I thought it was excellent myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Opinions on the sinner ??? Just finished all 3 seasons thought it was a great watch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Opinions on the sinner ??? Just finished all 3 seasons thought it was a great watch

First season was the best. Second was ok. Stopped watching half way through the third.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

First season was the best. Second was ok. Stopped watching half way through the third.

The end of the last season was good, but yeah, it was poor half way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,955 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Watched Trial 4 this week. Didn't think after 2/3 episodes it would have enough to last 8. But the more they talk about the more things come out. Definitely worth a watch!! Really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Taiga

I'm liking Somebody Feed Phil. He's funny and it's a colourful and interesting show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭appledrop

Saw everyone on here raving about Queens Gambit + I was thinking a programme about chess can't be that good.

Ha ha how wrong I was. We started it last night + only stopped after 3 episodes because it was 1 o clock in morning!

Amazing cant wait to watch it again tonight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Chicago 7 is all the bad things about Aaron Sorkin’s writing, matched with his very pedestrian and unimaginative direction. The politics and characters of the story are flattened into a sort of middle-of-the-road liberalism (pure Sorkin), and everything is generally glib and shallow. It does move along at a decent, engaging pace, to give credit where it’s due, but there’s a total lack of imagination to the visuals and staging. A terrible soundtrack doesn’t help.

Sorkin definitely needs a talented director to counter some of his worst impulses. The Social Network remains his masterpiece simply because Fincher was able to inject it with the directorial energy and cynical edge it needed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Chicago 7 is all the bad things about Aaron Sorkin’s writing, matched with his very pedestrian and unimaginative direction. The politics and characters of the story are flattened into a sort of middle-of-the-road liberalism (pure Sorkin), and everything is generally glib and shallow. It does move along at a decent pace, but there’s a total lack of imagination to the visuals and staging. A terrible soundtrack doesn’t help.

Sorkin definitely needs a talented director to counter some of his worst impulses. The Social Network remains his masterpiece simply because Fincher was able to inject it with the directorial energy and cynical edge it needed.

I wish scriptwriters would stop being indulged into trying their hand at directing. That is to say, folk who started or built their careers off of writing - obviously plenty of great directors write their own work. I'm sure there are exceptions but writing and directing are simply leagues apart as skillsets, it's no surprise Sorkin isn't a very good director TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Taiga wrote: »
    I'm liking Somebody Feed Phil. He's funny and it's a colourful and interesting show.

His facial expressions when tasting the food say it all !
    It's a good series , worth watching them all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Loved the holidate and il make no apologies for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Rfrip wrote: »
    Loved the holidate and il make no apologies for it!

It was shockingly bad and I liked it alot too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

appledrop wrote: »
    Saw everyone on here raving about Queens Gambit

It's so good it probably warrants it's own thread at this stage

I've the finale tonight. It's just 7 episodes and a Limited Series so it flew by

I'd go as far as saying it's the strongest thing Netflix have done since the first season of House Of Cards

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

ShineOn7 wrote: »

I've the finale tonight. It's just 7 episodes and a Limited Series so it flew by

I'd go as far as saying it's the strongest thing Netflix have done since the first season of House Of Cards

There already is one, being as it is a TV show :)https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058116168

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

pixelburp wrote: »
    There already is one, being as it is a TV show :)https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058116168

Aha!

Cheers. I'll have a read through it once I finish the show tonight

I'm only subbed to one thread in the TV forum so it's easy to forget about it sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Taiga wrote: »

I like the show and shows like it but sometimes Phil can be tooo "sweeter than sweet" OH MY GAWW American.

Maybe it stems from being a big Bourdain fan. He is almost the exact opposite with his certain FTW gruffness and bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

ShineOn7 wrote: »

Season 2 on the cards

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Season 2 on the cards

Although fans are desperate for more episodes, the series was originally devised as a Limited Series and is based on a book to which there is no sequel, meaning a follow up seems relatively unlikely.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Watched " Hold the Dark" last night, Jeffery Wright in darkest Alaska, bit dull really

• Registered Users Posts: 32,668 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am a sucker for a cheesy Christmas film.
    But I checked out a christmas tv show on netflix called Dash and Lily, it's really enjoyable I am only a couple of episodes in.

Oh and great Christmas songs!
    Especially episode 2 :)

I wanted to throw on Christmas movie today and i was told it's only November:(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,668 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Charlie19 wrote: »
    It's after halloween!
    Some early Christmas cheer can't be a bad thing imo! Especially this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

That's very sad.:(

gmisk wrote: »
    It's after halloween!
    Some early Christmas cheer can't be a bad thing imo! Especially this year :)

I get that.... but do you start lighting fireworks after the August Bank holiday?

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    That's very sad.:(

Is it though?

Do you have your tree and decorations up?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I've seen a few houses with full decorations up. It's as bad as the ads that start on 1st of November imo.
    Everyone sick of the sight of Christmas by the time it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Is it though?

Do you have your tree and decorations up?

Bah Humbug!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,873 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Sorry, I thought I was in the Netflix Recommendations thread.. :confused:

Advertisement