Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Anastasia
    After escaping a threat with a time portal, a Russian princess seeks a way to save her family back in time as a teen helps her navigate 1980s America.

Flavorful Origins season 3
    Embark on a delightful journey through the culinary traditions of China and uncover the stories of the people who create and cherish its dishes.

Alien Xmas
    A young elf mistakes a tiny alien for a Christmas gift, not knowing her new plaything has plans to destroy Earth's gravity -- and steal all the presents.

The App That Stole Christmas
    A tech entrepreneur's Christmas shopping app is a smashing success, but he starts to realize his invention might be ruining the holiday spirit.

Holmes & Watson
    When the Queen receives a mysterious death threat, detective Sherlock Holmes and his sidekick, Dr. John Watson, use wacky antics to crack the case

If Anything Happens I Love You
    Grieving parents journey through an emotional void as they mourn the loss of a child in the aftermath of a tragic school shooting.

Moesha (6 seasons)
    Navigating the twists and firsts of high school, Moesha juggles friendships, romance and the occasional drama while trying to keep her family together.

Santa in Training
    Two quirky elves are sent from the North Pole to train the next Santa Claus, but the chosen one is a grouchy man who hates Christmas.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Holmes and Watson. Utter shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

That's the Farrell and Reilly one? Yeah, heard it was utter cack - people walking out of cinemas even in the first few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭kerplun k

We are the champions.

A silly docu series, but the narration from Rainn Wilson is hilarious.

kerplun k wrote: »
    We are the champions.

A silly docu series, but the narration from Rainn Wilson is hilarious.

i loved the first episode , that girl might be the bravest and maddest person in the world and her dad , the poshest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

That's the Farrell and Reilly one? Yeah, heard it was utter cack - people walking out of cinemas even in the first few weeks

That's the one.

Steve Coogan said "I think in 20 years time when the dust has settled and people are able to look at Holmes and Watson objectively, I think people will say 'It's still rubbish".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,331 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So... not a recommendation then?!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

peteeeed wrote: »

Alien Xmas
    A young elf mistakes a tiny alien for a Christmas gift, not knowing her new plaything has plans to destroy Earth's gravity -- and steal all the presents.

The App That Stole Christmas
    A tech entrepreneur's Christmas shopping app is a smashing success, but he starts to realize his invention might be ruining the holiday spirit.

Santa in Training
    Two quirky elves are sent from the North Pole to train the next Santa Claus, but the chosen one is a grouchy man who hates Christmas.

added

Its not December yet;)

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e4750cg1jkhluyat68gjcbxe1rza28tzt9jyxaby2hx&rid=giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The latest series of The Crown was well worth waiting for. The script and the acting from everyone was just superb. Gillian Anderson as Maggie. She must have been exhausted after filming, the sheer physical effort of portraying the role.

Some of the scenes with Charles and Diana looked like they were from The Polar Express, you couldn't believe they were real so they made them look cartoon-like.

TV at it's very best. Can't wait till the next installment. :)

Early look at whats coming in December
    N=Netflix original

December 1st, 2020
    Angela’s Christmas Wish (2020) N – Christmas animated short.
    Cats & Dogs (2001) – Family comedy starring Toby Maguire as Lou the Beagle, a family dog who becomes an agent in the secret war between cats and dogs.
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) – 70s sci-fi from legendary director Steven Spielberg.
    Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo (2005) – Comedy starring Rob Schneider as a Deuce Bigalow, tricked into being a gigolo once more by his friend TJ.
    Falling Down (1993) – Michael Douglas goes postal as an ordinary man who takes out his frustration on the flaws of society through violent means.
    Galaxy Quest (1999) – Sci-Fi spoof that sees the alumni of an old space opera warped into space to help an alien race against an intergalactic warlord.
    The Holiday Movies That Made Us (Volume 1) N – Docuseries that takes an in-depth and nostalgic look into some of the most iconic holiday movies in Hollywood history.
    Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (2012) – Action Adventure starring Dwayne Johnson and Josh Hutcherson.

The Last of the Mohicans (1992) – Adventure drama starring Daniel Day-Lewis and Madeleine Stowe.
    Miles Davis: Birth of the Cool (2019) – Documentary into the life and career of musician Miles Davis.
    The Prestige (2006) – Oscar-nominated drama from Christopher Nolan.
    Sucker Punch (2011) – Fantasy adventure from Zack Snyder.
    Super Wings (Season 2) – Children’s animated series.
    The Sweeney (2012) – Movie adaptation and reboot of the classic 70s Uk series, starring Ray Winstone and Hayley Atwell.
    Taking Lives (2004) – Crime thriller starring Angelina Jolie.
    Thomas and Friends (Season 23) – More animated adventures with Thomas the Tank Engine.
    Thomas & Friends: Digs & Discoveries: All Track’s Lead to Rome (2019) – Children’s animated TV special.
    Thomas & Friends: Digs & Discoveries: Mines of Mystery (2019) – Children’s animated TV special.
    Thomas and Friends: Steam Team to the Rescue (2019) – Children’s animated TV special.
    Where the Wild Things Are (2009) – Family adventure based on the classic illustrated children’s tale.
    Wild Wild West (1999) – 90s steampunk western starring Will Smith and Kevin Kline.

December 2nd
    Ari Eldjarn: Pardon My Icelandic (2020) N – Stand-Up comedy special.
    Hazel Brugger: Tropical (2020) N – German Stand-Up comedy special.
    Fierce (2020) N – Polish musical
    What’s Coming to Netflix UK on December 3rd, 2020
    Chico Bon Bon and the Very Berry Holiday (Season 1) N – Children’s animated holiday special
    Just Another Christmas (2020) N – Christmas comedy.

December 4th
    Captain Underpants: Mega Blissmass (Season 1) N – Animated holiday adventure with George, Harold, and Mr. Krupp.
    Leyla Everlasting (2020) N – Turkish Comedy
    Mank (2020) N – Biopic drama from David Fincher centered around the life and career of Citizen Kane co-writer Herman J. Mankiewicz.
    Selena: The Series (Part 1) N – Musical biopic based on the life and incredibly tragic career of Selena, the Queen of Tejano music.

December 5th
    Detention: The Series (Season 1) N – Taiwanese horror series.
    Mighty Express: A Mighty Christmas (Season 1) N – Children’s animated series.

December 6th
    The 2nd (2020) – Action drama about a Green Beret who must save Supreme Court Justice’s daughter from terrorists, and the future of the Second Amendment.
    The Front Runner (2018) – Historical drama starring Hugh Jackman as controversial senator Gary Hart.

December 7th
    Ava (2020) – Action drama starring Jessica Chastain as Ava, a deadly black-ops assassin who must for her own survival when a job goes wrong.
    The Claus Family (2020) N – Dutch Christmas adventure.
    Stage Mother (2020) – Musical comedy about a conservative church choir director who inherits his late father’s San Francisco drag club.

December 8th
    Emicida: AmarElo – It’s All For Yesterday (2020) N – Portuguese documentary.
    Mr. Iglesias (Part 3) N – Sitcom starring Gabriel Iglesias as a High School Spanish Teacher.
    Super Monsters: Santa’s Super Monster Helpers (Season 1) N – The Halloween monsters are back to save Christmas.

December 9th
    Ashley Garcia: Genius In Love: Christmas (New Episodes) N – Christmas special.
    The Big Show Show: Christmas (New Episodes) N – The final episodes of The Big Show Show end with a holiday special.
    Rose Island (2020) N – Italian Comedy.

December 10th
    Alice in Borderland (Season 1) N – Live-action adaptation of Haro Aso’s thriller-survival manga.

December 11th
    A Trash Truck Christmas (Season 1) N – Children’s animated holiday
    El desorden que dejas (Season 1) N – Spanish drama series.
    The Prom (2020) N – Musical drama directed by Ryan Murphy about a group of broadway legends who come to the aid of a High School Lesbian, who’s conservative mid-west town won’t allow her to attend Prom with her girlfriend.

December 15th
    Song Exploder (Volume 2) N – Musical docuseries.

December 16th,
    Anitta: Made In Honório (Season 1) N – Portuguese language docuseries.

WDecember 18th
    Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom (2020) N – Historical drama starring the late Chadwick Boseman, and Viola Davis.

December 23rd
    The Midnight Sky (2020) N – Sci-fi directed by George Clooney

December 25th
    Bridgerton (Season 1) N – Romantic period drama based on the best-selling novels by Julia Quinn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Early look at whats coming in December

December 1st, 2020

Falling Down (1993) – Michael Douglas goes postal as an ordinary man who takes out his frustration on the flaws of society through violent means.

The Prestige (2006) – Oscar-nominated drama from Christopher Nolan.

Where the Wild Things Are (2009) – Family adventure based on the classic illustrated children’s tale

Three cracking films there :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Prestige remains Nolan's best film in my view. The Dark Knight gets more pop culture brownie points but the older feature just works IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 86,171 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Originally Posted by Wedwood
    The Highwaymen. That's the best Netflix movie yet. Would liken it to 1930's version of True Detective, depicting the real life hunt for Bonnie and Clyde.

Costner and Harrelson worked great together, quite enjoyable

Dolly Parton's Christmas on the Square
    Seasonal cheer comes to a screeching halt when a cold-hearted woman tries to sell her hometown's land. Can music, magic and memories change her mind?

Flatliners (remake)
    A group of medical students explores life after death by temporarily stopping their hearts, unaware the experiment comes with terrifying side effects.

Jack Reacher(tom cruise)
    When an ex-military cop investigates a sniper charged with five homicides, he's drawn into a dangerous cat-and-mouse game in this exciting thriller.

Mortal Engines
    In a post-apocalyptic new world, a young woman and her rebel friends seek to stop the giant mobile city of London from devouring everything in its path.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
    Dreamy delivery girl Ramona captures Scott Pilgrim's heart, but he must vanquish all seven of her evil exes in martial arts battles to win her love.

added

Flatliners
    A group of medical students explores life after death by temporarily stopping their hearts, unaware the experiment comes with terrifying side effects

That's the 2017 remake. Rotten Tomatoes gives it 4% critic and 32% audience :o

That's the 2017 remake. Rotten Tomatoes gives it 4% critic and 32% audience :o

yep its the remake

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Watched the old Bill Murray film "Stripes" on Netflix last night, for the money and cast that were available it should have been much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Watched the old Bill Murray film "Stripes" on Netflix last night, for the money and cast that were available it should have been much better.
    I had much the same reaction. Not Murray's best.

Shawn Mendes: In Wonder
    Over the course of a world tour, this unguarded documentary follows Shawn Mendes as he opens up about his stardom, relationships and musical future

Strongest Deliveryman (Choi-kang Bae-dal-ggun) (Koreon) season 1
    Two gutsy food delivery workers strive to overcome their socioeconomic disadvantages to achieve big goals -- and bump into love along the way.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

You forgot the one that rules them all - Galaxy Quest.

• Advertisement

You forgot the one that rules them all - Galaxy Quest.
    Ha ha, I do love that but wasn't sure it was universally regarded a classic :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mortal Engines
    In a post-apocalyptic new world, a young woman and her rebel friends seek to stop the giant mobile city of London from devouring everything in its path.

One of those movies I enjoyed purely on a technical level. The plot is barely comprehensible garbage, and you could tell the script was trying desperately to fit 3 films worth of story into one runtime ... and assuming you can park your suspension of disbelief - this was one gorgeous, kind of insane film just to watch. The hulking, clattering mobile cities defied sense but I enjoyed the film simply as a visual spectacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Ha ha, I do love that but wasn't sure it was universally regarded a classic :pac:

Galaxy Quest is one of the very few movies that everyone in our house can agree on as being great.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

pixelburp wrote: »
    One of those movies I enjoyed purely on a technical level. The plot is barely comprehensible garbage, and you could tell the script was trying desperately to fit 3 films worth of story into one runtime ... and assuming you can park your suspension of disbelief - this was one gorgeous, kind of insane film just to watch. The hulking, clattering mobile cities defied sense but I enjoyed the film simply as a visual spectacle.

Oddly, it's a film best watched without seeing the trailer. I saw the trailer and thought it would Fury Road only with massive mobile cities at war. Then it turns out that you get about 5-10 minutes of that right at the start, and some visually impressive but narratively yawnworthy YA gubbins for the rest of the film :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Galaxy Quest is one of the very few movies that everyone in our house can agree on as being great.

Just FYI

https://i.imgur.com/RYwNEjq.gifv

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

pixelburp wrote: »

Coming from the company that stretched 1 book to 3 films

• Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Basic Instinct is on the US library.

Brilliant movie and I couldn't believe it was 28 years old.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Usually I hate it when someone uses this thread as the opposite of a recommendation thread, but I feel it's a public service to warn you all to not even think about watching the Dolly Parton Christmas film. I know it's been a long year, a tough year, and we're all thinking about Christmas a little earlier than usual. Some of us maybe even saw last week how Dolly Parton was one of the main investors behind the research into one of the 95% successful vaccines in the US. You might be tempted then, just for fun, to throw on Christmas on the Square of an evening, to relax, unwind with something festive and light. DON'T DO IT. Not even if you've necked several bottles of wine. It's a god damn abomination. Steer clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Usually I hate it when someone uses this thread as the opposite of a recommendation thread, but I feel it's a public service to warn you all to not even think about watching the Dolly Parton Christmas film. I know it's been a long year, a tough year, and we're all thinking about Christmas a little earlier than usual. Some of us maybe even saw last week how Dolly Parton was one of the main investors behind the research into one of the 95% successful vaccines in the US. You might be tempted then, just for fun, to throw on Christmas on the Square of an evening, to relax, unwind with something festive and light. DON'T DO IT. Not even if you've necked several bottles of wine. It's a god damn abomination. Steer clear.

Sounds right up my street!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I had no intention of ever watching this, but now you've got me intrigued...

Advertisement