Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Entertainment.ie liked it a lot, and the Irish Times doesn't mind it (3 stars) either. 73% on Rotten Tomatoes too.

Love it or loathe it seems to be the order of the day. I didn't manage to watch enough of it to give a fair verdict, 20 minutes was enough for me.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Rfrip wrote: »
    Sounds right up my street!!!
    DavyD_83 wrote: »
    I had no intention of ever watching this, but now you've got me intrigued...
    Entertainment.ie liked it a lot, and the Irish Times doesn't mind it (3 stars) either. 73% on Rotten Tomatoes too.

Love it or loathe it seems to be the order of the day. I didn't manage to watch enough of it to give a fair verdict, 20 minutes was enough for me.

Honestly guys, don't do it to yourselves. This is not a "so bad it's good" kind of thing. It's just straight up bad. And I say that as a HUGE fan of musicals, bad Christmas films and Dolly Parton herself. I've even watched and loved her previous not very good Christmas angel film. I don't know how it has any stars or good ratings, unless the people giving them have never seen another film in their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

How's that Jingle Jangle film? Was gonna start it but saw it was 2 hours so left it for another day

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

CastorTroy wrote: »
    How's that Jingle Jangle film?

The Auld Triangle?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,668 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Usually I hate it when someone uses this thread as the opposite of a recommendation thread, but I feel it's a public service to warn you all to not even think about watching the Dolly Parton Christmas film. I know it's been a long year, a tough year, and we're all thinking about Christmas a little earlier than usual. Some of us maybe even saw last week how Dolly Parton was one of the main investors behind the research into one of the 95% successful vaccines in the US. You might be tempted then, just for fun, to throw on Christmas on the Square of an evening, to relax, unwind with something festive and light. DON'T DO IT. Not even if you've necked several bottles of wine. It's a god damn abomination. Steer clear.

I am a sucker for pretty much any Christmas movie the cheesier the better....the knight before Christmas...holidate...the princess switch.

But this film is utter awful rubbish....I love Dolly Parton and Christine Baranski...I lasted 10 minutes it is like some awful local theatre production....avoid like the plague

I would recommend two Christmas tv shows on netflix
    Dash and Lily
    Home for Christmas (if your ok with subtitles)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Rfrip

gmisk wrote: »
    I am a sucker for pretty much any Christmas movie the cheesier the better....the knight before Christmas...holidate...the princess switch.

But this film is utter awful rubbish....I love Dolly Parton and Christine Baranski...I lasted 10 minutes it is like some awful local theatre production....avoid like the plague

Dash and Lily

Oh no....this doesn’t bode well for me

Oh no....this doesn’t bode well for me
    You mean my low bar?....true...lol
    Honestly...don't do it to yourself....

But if you do don't say you weren't warned :)

Dash and Lily

Agree 100%. I loved those other ones you mentioned. Watched Home for Christmas last year and am looking forward to S2 landing next month. But just a big fat no to Dolly.

How's that Jingle Jangle film? Was gonna start it but saw it was 2 hours so left it for another day

I didn't like it either. But I watched it before the Dolly one and it looks like a masterpiece in comparison.

In fairness to Jingle Jingle it's got some catchy songs and visually it's very impressive. Just everything between the songs is poor and even the songs themselves don't tell much of a story.

100% better than Christmas on the Square though

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well hope Christmas Chronicles 2 this week will be better

• Advertisement

Well hope Christmas Chronicles 2 this week will be better
    I do love Goldie Hawn! Fingers crossed

The trailer for the happiest season looks really promising but that's on hulu :(

The trailer for the happiest season looks really promising but that's on hulu :(

According to the guardian it will be available to rent in the UK (presumably here too) on VOD on November 25th.

Dash and Lily

I started Dash & Lily off the back of this post, seeing as I liked HfC so much. 4 episodes in and I'm really enjoying it. The first 2 episodes are very festive, it's fluffy and fun, and the soundtrack is the best Christmas one I've heard in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Hillbilly Elegy
    Based on the novel by JD Vance, it follows Vance, a former Marine from southern Ohio and current Yale Law student, who is on the verge of landing his dream job when a family crisis forces him to return to the home he’s tried to forget. J.D. must navigate the complex dynamics of his Appalachian family, including his volatile relationship with his mother Bev (Amy Adams), who’s struggling with addiction. Fueled by memories of his grandmother Mamaw (Glenn Close), the resilient and whip-smart woman who raised him, J.D. comes to realize that to achieve his dreams, he must embrace his roots.

Notes for My Son
    Battling terminal cancer, a woman writes a one of a kind notebook about life, death and love for her son to remember her by. Based on a true story.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

Sorry to Bother You - a rookie telemarketer has to choose between supporting his friends strikes for better working conditions or a big promotion in a company with questionable ethics.

Really enjoyed this one, I remember seeing a preview in the cinema but never got out to watch it - a plot many will be familiar with told in a very different and interesting way. It says a lot about capitalism in the US and how different classes fit, the glass ceilings that restrict them and what might happen when things go too far. I was noticing some similarities so a Michel Gondry film and was delighted to see that this was no accident!

I started Dash & Lily off the back of this post, seeing as I liked HfC so much. 4 episodes in and I'm really enjoying it. The first 2 episodes are very festive, it's fluffy and fun, and the soundtrack is the best Christmas one I've heard in a while.
    Ah great! Glad you enjoying it.
    Definitely agree on the soundtrack

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Watched "iBoy" last night, British crime thriller with a bit of sci-fi, it's not bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Watched "iBoy" last night, British crime thriller with a bit of sci-fi, it's not bad

It's not bad, it's ibad*!

*Which means it's not great either.

It's not bad, it's ibad*!

*Which means it's not great either.

Having watched "Deadly Detention" and "Incoming" over the weekend it was a good improvement,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Just got a notification that season 4 of Big Mouth is coming on December 4th. Can't wait, best comedy show around at the moment in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Klonker wrote: »
    Just got a notification that season 4 of Big Mouth is coming on December 4th. Can't wait, best comedy show around at the moment in my opinion.

Nah F is for family is way funnier. I think the jokes are pretty sick in that show Big mouth, like a fella cuming on a girl while rubbing his self against her and she hasn’t a clue what’s going. Girl was just innocently dancing with him. She hasn’t consented to that. Pretty vile and vulgar show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

fin12 wrote: »
    Nah F is for family is way funnier. I think the jokes are pretty sick in that show Big mouth, like a fella cuming on a girl while rubbing his self against her and she hasn’t a clue what’s going. Girl was just innocently dancing with him. She hasn’t consented to that. Pretty vile and vulgar show.

You are aware that later in the season what he did becomes common knowledge and he's treated like a pariah by almost everybody? And also, he's undergoing puberty and isn't exactly fully in control of himself?

I think the show handles a lot of these themes very well, I'd specifically reference the "Head Push" episode - the show is very clear on what is/isn't acceptable.

And it's fùcking hilarious so there's that as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Christmas Chronicles: Part Two
    It’s been two years since siblings Kate (Darby Camp) and Teddy Pierce (Judah Lewis) saved Christmas, and a lot has changed. Kate, now a cynical teenager, is reluctantly spending Christmas in Cancun with her mom’s new boyfriend and his son, Jack (Jahzir Bruno). Unwilling to accept this new version of her family, Kate decides to run away. But when a mysterious, magical troublemaker named Belsnickel (Hunt for the Wilderpeople’s Julian Dennison) threatens to destroy the North Pole and end Christmas for good, Kate and Jack are unexpectedly pulled into a new adventure with Santa Claus (Kurt Russell)

Great Pretender season 2
    Supposedly Japan's greatest swindler, Makoto Edamura gets more than he bargained for when he tries to con Laurent Thierry, a real world-class crook.

Shawn Mendes: Live in Concert
    In his hometown of Toronto, Shawn Mendes pours his heart out on stage with a live performance in a stadium packed with adoring fans.

Yes, God, Yes
    A devoutly religious teen grapples with her own sexual awakening, and attends a Catholic school retreat in the hopes of suppressing her newfound urges.

added

If Anything Happens I Love You

Short animated film about two parents grieving the loss of their child. 12 minutes long, very simple animation, no spoken dialogue, profoundly moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Short animated film about two parents grieving the loss of their child. 12 minutes long, very simple animation, no spoken dialogue, profoundly moving.
    On my list but feel like it could floor me as a new parent so somewhat hesitant to watch right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Absolutly not emotionally available to watch that
    Dolly it is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

Klonker wrote: »

My brother, out of some stupid principal, won't watch animated shows like this and I keep telling him that he's missing out on some of the funniest and well written shows including "Big Mouth", "Bojack Horseman", "Bob's Burgers", "Archer"... I could go on, out of shear stubbornness

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I rewatched Jack Reacher last night, if you put aside the height debate and view it on its on merits, it's a very solid and entertaining thriller although the ending does fall flat.

Avoid the sequel though.

Absolutly not emotionally available to watch that
    Dolly it is

I mean.... the Dolly film will probably make you cry too :D

• Advertisement

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I rewatched Jack Reacher last night, if you put aside the height debate and view it on its on merits, it's a very solid and entertaining thriller although the ending does fall flat.

Avoid the sequel though.

If you've read any of Lee Childs Jack Reacher books the ending is pretty standard, I despise Cruise but he was trying to give Reacher a personality something he lacks in the books.

Advertisement