Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

If you've read any of Lee Childs Jack Reacher books the ending is pretty standard, I despise Cruise but he was trying to give Reacher a personality something he lacks in the books.

Completely agree, I've read one book and my lasting memory was that Jack Reacher was a very dull protagonist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Completely agree, I've read one book and my lasting memory was that Jack Reacher was a very dull protagonist.

Good books and the first movie was good, nothing similar between the two though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭kerplun k

If Anything Happens I Love You

Short animated film about two parents grieving the loss of their child. 12 minutes long, very simple animation, no spoken dialogue, profoundly moving.

This had me in tears today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭kerplun k

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I rewatched Jack Reacher last night, if you put aside the height debate and view it on its on merits, it's a very solid and entertaining thriller although the ending does fall flat.

Avoid the sequel though.

I watched the first one but never went back to watch the sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

If anyone is into crime/thriller/drama/politics, I highly recommend Suburra, a T.V. show based on a film which is loosely based on a true story set in Rome. It's easy to follow. Great characters and character arcs.

It's almost like a GTA set in Rome. The basic premise of the whole show is; the Mayor of Rome resigns, and crime boss/fixer Samurai has 21 days to force the Municipal Building Commission led by Amedeo Cinaglia to allow building on a piece of beachfront land in Ostia. Interested in building a port with criminal business partners (Mafia) from the south of Italy, he must also persuade the Vatican and the Adami family to sell the property to him.

But everyone starts vying for the land. The Adami family that owns some of the land are a legacy crime family in the city. If the city gets the port Samurai and his partners want, it means they can control the importation of cocaine into Rome, essentially meaning the Mafia will control Rome. Traditionally the mafia hasn't operated in Rome.

The three main guys from the trailer are actually 1 from the Adami legacy family and a rival gypsy gang member and a son of a cop. They form an unlikely alliance away from their respective families to take on Samurai.

It's really worth a watch. If you like Breaking Bad, Ozark and other crime thrillers, I'd highly recommend this. It's more face-paced and more easily digestible than say Boardwalk Empire, The Wire or The Sopranos but doesn't mean it's any less enjoyable.

It's got a user score of 8 on Metacritic and 100% critics rating on RT (although only 6 ratings).

https://youtu.be/5GcC9kduhO4

The events it's set around can be read about here.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_Capitale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

A Kid from Coney Island
    From gifted athlete to professional NBA hooper, Coney Island's Stephon Marbury navigates the pressures, pitfalls and peaks of his basketball journey.

Fantastica
    The owner of a struggling carnival starts putting on small-time shows to save his wonderland as an old friend asks for help with a magical mission.

Larry the Cable Guy: Remain Seated
    With his signature call to "Git-R-Done," Larry muses on swampy weather, late-night shopping at Walmart and other raunchy tales of life in rural America.

Mosul
    After his life is saved by a rogue Iraqi squadron, a young police officer joins them in their fight against ISIS in a decimated Mosul.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

Christmas Chronicles 2 is getting horrendous reviews :(

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

km79 wrote: »

The first one didn't get particularly good reviews either , so if you enjoyed that I wouldn't worry too much. They both have a similar rating on Rotten Tomatoes at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,873 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Real dry period for Netflix at the minute - bar "holiday movies"! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

December is looking a lot better with the release of some a-list movies although most are probably deep into the month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,668 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

km79 wrote: »
    Some...66 percent in rotten tomatoes (with 32 reviews) not that bad.

I would agree about very little new netflix stuff recently...comparing to amazon prime especially

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

If Anything Happens I Love You

Short animated film about two parents grieving the loss of their child. 12 minutes long, very simple animation, no spoken dialogue, profoundly moving.

Thanks for the recommendation. It's brilliant. Very profound and the animation is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I liked the previous Movies that Made Us so the Elf and Nightmare Before Christmas ones should be good

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Arkansas has some solid performances and a good story. Vince Vaughn has acted in some interesting movies lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

dubstepper wrote: »
    Arkansas has some solid performances and a good story. Vince Vaughn has acted in some interesting movies lately.

Might give this a go, had a quick look at the trailer. Vaughn always overlooked as a leading actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Sugar Rush Christmas season 2
    It's everything you love about "Sugar Rush" -- with a holly jolly holiday twist -- in this Christmas-themed spin on competitive baking

Virgin River season 2
    Searching for a fresh start, a nurse practitioner moves from LA to a remote northern California town and is surprised by what -- and who -- she finds.

Heartbreak High (8 seasons )
    A crash course on the turbulence of being a teen is always on the schedule for the students at Hartley High School in this 1990s series set in Sydney.

A Toot-Toot Cory Carson Christmas
    When a familiar-looking stranger crashes in without a memory, Cory helps him remember the magic of Christmas to save the holiday for everyone.

The Beast (Italian)
    To rescue his daughter, an unstable Special Forces veteran unleashes his inner beast as he pursues her kidnappers -- and soon becomes a suspect himself.

The Call(Korean)
    Connected by phone in the same home but 20 years apart, a serial killer puts another woman's past -- and life -- on the line to change her own fate.

Dance Dreams: Hot Chocolate Nutcracker
    This documentary spotlights Debbie Allen's career and follows her group of dance students as they prepare for Allen's annual "Hot Chocolate Nutcracker."

Don't Listen
    After a tragic turn of events at the new home he's fixing up, Daniel hears a ghostly plea for help, spurring him to seek out a famous paranormal expert.

Over Christmas
    Down-and-out musician Bastian battles the blues as he returns home for Christmas and encounters a series of not-so-cheery surprises.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Rfrip

God heartbreak high! I used to love that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    Might give this a go, had a quick look at the trailer. Vaughn always overlooked as a leading actor.

not sure if it's on netflix, but he was great in brawl in cell block 99.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Rfrip wrote: »
    God heartbreak high! I used to love that!

Drazic wasn't it?! Haha I used to always watch it! Wonder how badly it's aged...

Just checked, the theme tune is still like totally rad duuude!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

HEartbreak High!! Great theme tune!!

Drazic and the rollerblading was the best

• Advertisement

That looks like the opening titles to late 90s Heartbreak High.

Original Cast FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

Watched Calibre recently, tense and very well filmed and acted throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

S.M.B. wrote: »
    That looks like the opening titles to late 90s Heartbreak High.

Original Cast FTW!

Con Bordino wasn't a bada$$ rollerblader though

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I watched a lot of Heartbreak High on YouTube a few years ago and it's so tame compared to what I remember. I was quite young when it was first on and I thought they were all so cool and edgy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Drazic wasn't it?! Haha I used to always watch it! Wonder how badly it's aged...

Just checked, the theme tune is still like totally rad duuude!

Drazic ya!

Il have to have a look over the weekend! I was a mere foetus watching it!!

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Con Bordino wasn't a bada$$ rollerblader though

That's more like it. The Poulos family, Rivers, Abi Tuckers character (for some reason I always remembered the actress' name).

A quick look at IMDB and Drazic actually featured in more episodes than anyone else even though he only became a series regular in Season 6. Forgot there was such a high turnover of cast members.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Abi Tuckers character (for some reason I always remembered the actress' name).

Probably because it rhymes with what you wanted to do when you saw her.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Virgin river season 2 on Netflix now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Probably because it rhymes with what you wanted to do when you saw her.

Classy.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Classy.

I'm here all weekend!

Advertisement