Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,668 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Galaxy quest is really good fun for anyone who hasn't seen it.
    It has aged extremely well, a gem

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

For anyone watching Doctor Who on netflix, it leaves on 1st January.
    A couple other series you may have on your list that you may want to watch before they go are Gossip Girl on 1st Jan and Fresh Prince of Bel Air on 31st Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭pavb2

Just watched the Korean movie The Call thought it was a good thriller/horror.

Before that another a Korean production The Handmaiden . . . had a great plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,558 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Watched Mank last night, usually a big Fincher fan but that was a struggle to follow at times. Probably makes more sense if you know the original movie / context which I only really read about after

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

I've seen Citizen Kane, and I knew a bit of the context, but yeah, it's definitely lesser Fincher for me. It's fine, but my hopes were far higher.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Mank is the first ever Fincher project I'm in no rush to check. The premise of it looks utterly dull

On the upside: new Black Mirror. I'm thinking maybe a feature length 90 minute Christmas Day or New Years Eve episode is coming

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

To be honest Mank is far more of what I want from Fincher than his last two films or his TV work. It doesn’t hit the heights of The Social Network, and its value as a history lesson is fairly limited given a lot of it’s total nonsense factually speaking (plus its portrayal of Welles is pretty iffy even on a mere performance level). But I prefer when Fincher is working in a lower-stakes register these days, rather than slumming it with airport thriller fare like Gone Girl or Dragon Tattoo (handsomely crafted as those two films are, there’s only so much he can do with the source material). He’s a brilliant, creative director of conversations, and this gives him a lot of room to play around with that.

If nothing else, use it as an excuse to watch Citizen Kane if you haven’t before. It has an IMO completely unjustified reputation as being a challenging film or some sort of cinephile-only bore. Nothing could be further from the truth IMO - it remains a vibrant, exciting film whose ‘best film ever’ reputation has endured for very, very good reason. Even if Welles was a lot more instrumental in its success than Mank perhaps gives him credit for ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a passion project for Fincher, given the script comes from his (presume late) father: I suspect this is down to Netflix's hands off approach to its well paid auteurs; whereas a traditional studio would want something more marketable to multiplex audiences, Netflix seem more interested in the bragging rights they have Fincher, Scorsese etc on the books. So are just happy the creatives are producing content, the more arthouse the closer Netflix get to that conveted best picture Oscar.

To be honest Mank is far more of what I want from Fincher than his last two films, which were shrugs of the shoulder for me. It doesn’t hit the heights of The Social Network, and its value as a history lesson is fairly limited given a lot of it’s total nonsense factually speaking (plus its portrayal of Welles is pretty iffy even on a mere performance level). But I prefer when Fincher is working in a lower-stakes register these days, rather than slumming it with airport thriller fare like Gone Girl or Dragon tattoo (handsomely crafted as those two films are).

If nothing else, use it as an excuse to watch Citizen Kane if you haven’t before. It has an IMO completely unjustified reputation as being a challenging film or some sort of cinephile-only bore. Nothing could be further from the truth IMO - it remains a vibrant, exciting film whose ‘best film ever’ reputation has endured for very, very good reason. Even if Welles was a lot more instrumental in its success than Mank perhaps gives him credit for ;)

No offense Johnny

I've been on this site - on and off - since 2001 and I've never enjoyed or agreed with your film reviews as they come across as very snobby at times

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is one of the top three films of the 2010s. It's excellent and taut from start to finish, so much so that it's made me want a rewatch tonight. Definitely not "airport thriller fare"

Every time you've ever said you've loved a film on here I usually thought it was shíte. And vice versa

Different strokes and all that and probably the best indicator yet that I should avoid Mank

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is one of the top three films of the 2010s. It's excellent and taut from start to finish, so much so that it's made me want a rewatch tonight. Definitely not "airport thriller fare"

"Airport thriller" refers to a certain type of novel, both films being based on novels from that particular genre. So, yeah, they are both airport thriller fare.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I mean, both the books he adapted recently are very much quintessential modern airport thrillers - I don’t think that’s a particularly controversial opinion :) I think he made pretty good films out of them given the source material (and even looking back at my own notes I was very positive indeed on Gone Girl at the time - happy to retract my ‘shrug of the shoulder’ comment as that was OTT, although was more ambivalent about Dragon Tattoo), but I think he’s shown his ability to handle thrillers many times in the past. Mank he’s testing himself quite a bit more in terms of material - that’s what I like to see a director like Fincher trying.
    Every time you've ever said you've loved a film on here I usually thought it was shíte. And vice versa

I only ever speak for myself. You do you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

It’s probably an out of date recommendation, but we watched our first ever shows on kids Netflix today and Angela’s Christmas and Angela’s Christmas Wish are delightful.
    They’re short and sweet.

gmisk wrote: »
    Galaxy quest is really good fun for anyone who hasn't seen it.
    It has aged extremely well, a gem

Great film and has possibly the most obvious dubbed out "Fúck" ever in a movie

You can't miss it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Relikk

Great film and has possibly the most obvious dubbed out "Fúck" ever in a movie

You can't miss it

5B4fGim.gif

:pac:

Relikk wrote: »
    5B4fGim.gif

:pac:

Brilliant

I think what happened was they decided to drop it down a whole rating to give it a wider audience.

So from Cert 15 to PG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Rfrip

gmisk wrote: »
    I do love Goldie Hawn! Fingers crossed

The trailer for the happiest season looks really promising but that's on hulu :(

Apologies for not part of Netflix...But happiest season was rubbish tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Addle wrote: »
    It’s probably an out of date recommendation, but we watched our first ever shows on kids Netflix today and Angela’s Christmas and Angela’s Christmas Wish are delightful.
    They’re short and sweet.

Watched the first when it came out and watched the second one today. I agree they're sweet and really feel good.

I see the first 2 episodes of Detention are there today. Plan on watching. Didn't realise it was releasing on a weekly basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Front Runner
    Presidential candidate Gary Hart's promising 1988 campaign faces an unprecedented undermining when affair rumors ignite an unstoppable scandal.

The 2nd
    A Secret Service agent is drawn into a terrorist plot when his son's classmate, the daughter of a Supreme Court Justice, is targeted for kidnapping.

Added

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The Netflix model of throwing unlimited money and complete freedom to the directors continues to churn out stinkers. Tis strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

RasTa wrote: »
    The Netflix model of throwing unlimited money and complete freedom to the directors continues to churn out stinkers. Tis strange.

I think the old studio idea of the director as an employee not an artist has been overlooked by Netflix,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Watched suburra season 3 yday. At only 6 episodes of 45mins you can cover it in a day. It’s very good, as is seasons 1 and 2. Between this and Gomorra which I prefer (not on Netflix) it don’t paint a very nice picture of Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

watched The 2nd Ryan Phillipe should be embarrassed

Netflix are rebooting Heartbreak High for 2022!

https://twitter.com/guardianculture/status/1335622916403208193?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

khalessi wrote: »
    watched The 2nd Ryan Phillipe should be embarrassed

A "straight to video" star these days, like Nic Cage or Bruce Willis, just paying the bills.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

A "straight to video" star these days, like Nic Cage or Bruce Willis, just paying the bills.

Whoever wrote the script should hang their head in shame with all the cliches

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Watched suburra season 3 yday. At only 6 episodes of 45mins you can cover it in a day. It’s very good, as is seasons 1 and 2. Between this and Gomorra which I prefer (not on Netflix) it don’t paint a very nice picture of Italy.

Oh, this sounds good...
    Is it subtitled though? That does put me off a bit (I know it shouldn't).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Oh, this sounds good...
    Is it subtitled though? That does put me off a bit (I know it shouldn't).

Yep subtitled but well worth it, it’s an excellent series

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Room 2806: The Accusation
    This docuseries follows the 2011 sexual assault case involving French politician Dominique Strauss-Kahn at the height of his career.

Ava
    An elite assassin wrestling with doubts about her work scrambles to protect herself -- and her estranged family -- after a hit goes dangerously wrong.

Only the Animals (French)
    A woman's mysterious disappearance during a snowstorm in France connects the lives and unravels the secrets of five people on two continents.

Searching for Bobby Fischer
    When a father learns that his 7-year-old son is a whiz at speed chess, he hires an implacable chess master to coach the boy for competitions.

Stage Mother
    After her estranged son's abrupt death, a church choir director inherits his San Francisco drag bar and finds an unexpected new family in his friends.

Untitled Drake Doremus Project
    Reeling from a bad breakup, Daphne swears off romantic attachment -- only to soon find herself involved with two men who turn out to be close friends.

Added

Netflix are rebooting Heartbreak High for 2022!

https://twitter.com/guardianculture/status/1335622916403208193?s=20

I just saw Con Bordino in an Aussie series, looks almost exactly the same as he did back then!
    My favourite show in my teens. Hope they get it right and deal with todays wokeness in a realistic Australian way. If they can get that part right and retain the edginess they can do something special.

• Advertisement

I just saw Con Bordino in an Aussie series, looks almost exactly the same as he did back then!
    My favourite show in my teens. Hope they get it right and deal with todays wokeness in a realistic Australian way. If they can get that part right and retain the edginess they can do something special.

The article quotes the woman who is in charge of shows for Netflix Australia and she talks about making it for an Australian audience, which I think is good, and going for the same gritty and hard hitting tone the original series had but recognising that what was relevant for teens back then won't be relevant now. It all sounds good anyway. Hope they keep the theme tune :D

I wonder if any of the original cast will show up as teachers or parents. Drazik is in Hollywood now, and Leah's still on Home and Away but other than that I reckon they're all free.

Advertisement