Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Wow! 10 Cloverfield Lane. JJ Abrams is a superb storyteller and this one just sucks you in. John Goodman is nuts! :)

Yeah would highly recommend that to anyone who hasn't seen it. Might well go for a rewatch this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Alice in Borderland season 1 ( Japanese) trailer for this looks good
    An aimless gamer and his two friends find themselves in a parallel Tokyo, where they're forced to compete in a series of sadistic games to survive.

Futmalls.com season 1 ( Chinese)
    Strange occurrences afflict a group of people after they purchase items on a shopping website from the future

The Panti Sisters
    Three gay siblings are told by their terminally ill father that they must each produce a grandchild in order to inherit their share of his fortune

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Prob mentioned already but I enjoyed "To The Lake" Russian series I think. It's dubbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Nalz wrote: »
    Prob mentioned already but I enjoyed "To The Lake" Russian series I think. It's dubbed.

I had it in the original version with English subtitles.
    I'm pretty certain there will be a second series.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Wow! 10 Cloverfield Lane. JJ Abrams is a superb storyteller and this one just sucks you in. John Goodman is nuts! :)

Just don’t be tempted to watch The Cloverfield Paradox - that worthless film was a serious ‘****ing yikes!’ after the fun, playful Cloverfield Lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Just don’t be tempted to watch The Cloverfield Paradox - that worthless film was a serious ‘****ing yikes!’ after the fun, playful Cloverfield Lane.

Yeah, Cloverfield Paradox truly is one of the worst movies I've had the misfortune to watch. A complete waste of everyone's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Virgin River is a good watch

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, Cloverfield Paradox truly is one of the worst movies I've had the misfortune to watch. A complete waste of everyone's time.

For sure, though I'd be lying if the sight of Chris O'Dowd as an Irish astronaut, complete with tricolour arm-patch, didn't instil a bit of shallow patriotism. It's so rare we're allowed be something other than second bananas or Bostonian drunks in Hollywood, it papered over a few of the cracks. Shame there were cracks everywhere with this hot mess.

But yes, 10 Cloverfield Lane is a wee gem of a thriller.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Virgin River is a good watch

I love that show, can’t wait till season 3 but prob be waiting ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I liked Hillbilly Elegy.

I thought Amy Adams and Glenn Close were nearly unrecognizable.

• Advertisement

A Giant Jack Christmas
    When Santa crash-lands in the junkyard on Christmas Eve, Hank, Trash Truck and their animal friends all have a hand in rescuing the holiday for everyone.

Canvas
    After a heartbreaking loss, a grandfather struggling to reclaim his passion for painting finds the inspiration to create again.

Giving Voice
    Six ambitious student actors audition for the prestigious August Wilson Monologue Competition, culminating in a riveting final round on Broadway

Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted

The Mess You Leave Behind (Spanish)
    A teacher starts her job at a high school but is haunted by a suspicious death that occurred there weeks before... and begins fearing for her own life.

The Prom
    Ryan Murphy’s take on the Broadway musical follows Dee Dee Allen (Meryl Streep) and Barry Glickman (James Corden) who are New York City stage stars with a crisis on their hands: their expensive new Broadway show is a major flop that has suddenly flatlined their careers. Meanwhile, in small-town Indiana, high school student Emma Nolan (Ellen Pellman) is experiencing a very different kind of heartbreak: despite the support of the high school principal (Keegan-Michael Key), the head of the PTA (Kerry Washington) has banned her from attending the prom with her girlfriend, Alyssa (Ariana DeBose). When Dee Dee and Barry decide that Emma’s predicament is the perfect cause to help resurrect their public images, they hit the road with Angie (Nicole Kidman) and Trent (Andrew Rannells), another pair of cynical actors looking for a professional lift. But when their self-absorbed celebrity activism unexpectedly backfires, the foursome find their own lives upended as they rally to give Emma a night where she can truly celebrate who she is.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Rfrip

The prom sounds complete ****e and that was before i realised James Corden was in it

I will of course be watching it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Rfrip wrote: »
    The prom sounds complete ****e and that was before i realised James Corden was in it

Is this sarcasm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Is this sarcasm ?

No they will watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Is this sarcasm ?

You must not be familiar with my posts
    I watch a lot of ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I do not like James Corden. He seems to have stolen Rickey Gervais act but made it a whole lot worse. His whole act is playing on being fat or pretending he is gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I'm looking forwarding to watching it tonight with the kids anyway.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

So I watched The Prom. I love musicals and I was genuinely quite looking forward to it, despite hating Ryan Murphy, Corden and Meryl Streep.

It's....... okay?

It's very long, which is to be expected from a musical lifted from the stage, but it feels too long at times, and like the focus is in the wrong place. I'm not familiar enough with the stage version to know if the adult characters are the main focus there too but the kids storyline felt very underdeveloped and there were several numbers that could have been cut to trim the length down, or give more time to Emma and Alyssa.

Overall though there's a lot to enjoy and the final number is pretty uplifting. If you like musicals you'll probably like it, if you hate musicals, well.... you probably shouldn't be watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Chris O Dowd did himself no favours appearing in possibly the dullest sci-fi film ever

The Prom was longer than we expected too, but good fun all the same. The cesspit that is IMDB's user reviews have an obvious concerted plan to rate it as a 1 because of Corden but he played the part quite well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Hurrache wrote: »
    The Prom was longer than we expected too, but good fun all the same. The cesspit that is IMDB's user reviews have an obvious concerted plan to rate it as a 1 because of Corden but he played the part quite well.

I don't rate his acting at all but his singing is as good as any of the rest of them and he clearly loves musicals and looks really comfortable performing the big numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Unbelievable with Toni Collette

very good , about the hunt for a serial rapist , less about the rapist than the victims and one in particular , better than it sounds

• Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Unbelievable with Toni Collette

very good , about the hunt for a serial rapist , less about the rapist than the victims and one in particular , better than it sounds

Yeah I thought it was a great little mini series.

Great chemistry between the two female detectives and based on a true story from what I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Yeah I thought it was a great little mini series.

Great chemistry between the two female detectives and based on a true story from what I remember.

really liked the other actress who i had not seen before , collette is always good

the young actress was very good too as was the boneheaded lazy cop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Rfrip wrote: »

The prom hits the three kinds of heat for ****ness

Ryan Murphy-nope
    Meryl Streep-nope
    James Corden- 404 error.

I would avoid that as much as I'd avoid my coughing uncle who is complaining about his tasteless dinner.

Bumblebee
    Fleeing from the Decepticons in 1987, Bumblebee hides out on Earth. But after he befriends a sad teen, the battered Beetle's foes are hot on his trail.

Hitman Redemption (Asher)
    After meeting a teacher during a botched job, a weathered hitman strives to escape his indentured life to start a free one with her.

Manhattan Murder Mystery
    When an elderly neighbor in good health unexpectedly dies, New Yorker Carol Lipton is convinced that the woman's death was no accident.

Welcome to Marwen
    After a violent assault shatters an artist's mind and memory, he creates a miniature world to process his trauma and to learn how to live again.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Welcome to Marwen lovely movie

• Registered Users Posts: 32,668 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

peteeeed wrote: »
    Bumblebee
    Fleeing from the Decepticons in 1987, Bumblebee hides out on Earth. But after he befriends a sad teen, the battered Beetle's foes are hot on his trail.

Hitman Redemption (Asher)
    After meeting a teacher during a botched job, a weathered hitman strives to escape his indentured life to start a free one with her.

Manhattan Murder Mystery
    When an elderly neighbor in good health unexpectedly dies, New Yorker Carol Lipton is convinced that the woman's death was no accident.

Welcome to Marwen
    After a violent assault shatters an artist's mind and memory, he creates a miniature world to process his trauma and to learn how to live again.

added

Bumblebee is surprisingly excellent...a world away from the Michael Bay films

• Registered Users Posts: 32,668 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ava

I thought looked good with that cast (jessica chastain, John Malkovich, Colin Farrell, Geena Davis) and a normally pretty good director...but it is so so poor and formulaic.
    Despite Jessica Chastain giving it her all.
    The rest of the acting and the story is all over the shop....the family stuff in particular is dreadful, whoever played the sister is absolutely painful as is the ex....stilted and awkward in every single scene.
    Just watch Atomic Blonde again

• Advertisement

The prom hits the three kinds of heat for ****ness

Ryan Murphy-nope
    Meryl Streep-nope
    James Corden- 404 error.

I would avoid that as much as I'd avoid my coughing uncle who is complaining about his tasteless dinner.

You'll be missing out on some fun.

Different people like different movies, just because it's not to your taste doesn't mean it's ****e.

Advertisement