Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

gmisk wrote: »
    Bumblebee is surprisingly excellent...a world away from the Michael Bay films

At the 6th time of trying, Hollywood finally made a good Transformers movie. It blatantly riff on ET and all those "coming of age" 80s movies but the end result was entertaining.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

pixelburp wrote: »
    At the 6th time of trying, Hollywood finally made a good Transformers movie. It blatantly riff on ET and all those "coming of age" 80s movies but the end result was entertaining.

It was written by Chritina Hodson, who also wrote this year's Birds of Prey, which I thought was a lot of fun. I'm pretty sure she's been hired to write a couple more WB properties and Margot Robbie and her have some sort of deal going and are doing a Pirates of the Caribbean reboot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It was written by Chritina Hodson, who also wrote this year's Birds of Prey, which I thought was a lot of fun. I'm pretty sure she's been hired to write a couple more WB properties and Margot Robbie and her have some sort of deal going and are doing a Pirates of the Caribbean reboot.

Interesting as I found Birds of Prey really underwhelming, a bit muddled trying to give Robbie the focus while trying to work as an ensemble piece. And the comedy wasn't great either, no "6 laughs" passing hefe. To be fair I could see what the script wanted to be, and the shoot sounded messy, so a bit of leeway given there.

... And I'm just now reading your last line and despair at Hollywood. Rebooting Pirates already, ye gods. Maybe CoVid killed that project.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

pixelburp wrote: »
    Interesting as I found Birds of Prey really underwhelming, a bit muddled trying to give Robbie the focus while trying to work as an ensemble piece. And the comedy wasn't great either, no "6 laughs" passing hefe. To be fair I could see what the script wanted to be, and the shoot sounded messy, so a bit of leeway given there.

... And I'm just now reading your last line and despair at Hollywood. Rebooting Pirates already, ye gods. Maybe CoVid killed that project.

I agree about the focus in Birds of Prey, it felt like it was never sure who it was about. I had also just watched the new animated Harley Quinn series before watching BoP. I highly recommend that for anyone who is a fan of the character, but it kind of coloured my view of BoP a bit. It did a much better job of delving into Harley's character and establishing her as her own person post Joker breakup, but then it had like 20 episodes to do that in.

But all that said I still thought the film was a lot of fun and more enjoyable than most of the DC films.

As for Pirates of the Caribbean, I think it was only announced during Covid :D
    It sounds like they're really only keeping the title, obviously as a link to that sweet Disney cash, and they'll be in no way connected to Depp's series.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

The Christmas Chronicles was one of the best movie experiences I had in a long time, so much fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

den87 wrote: »
    The Christmas Chronicles was one of the best movie experiences I had in a long time, so much fun.

Kurt Russell born to be Santa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

The prom hits the three kinds of heat for ****ness

Ryan Murphy-nope
    Meryl Streep-nope
    James Corden- 404 error.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

peteeeed wrote: »
    Bumblebee
    Fleeing from the Decepticons in 1987, Bumblebee hides out on Earth. But after he befriends a sad teen, the battered Beetle's foes are hot on his trail.

91% on RT!

Is it that good?

Apart from the first one, Michael Bay's Transformers films are among the worst blockbusters of all time

Caught Mank this evening. It’s more in line with The Social Network than Fincher’s other work.. right up my alley. Was also a pleasure being immersed in its cynical, gossipy yet quietly affectionate take on 1930s/40s Hollywood. The visual panache is present and correct, enlivened by a real, obsessive commitment to emulating the look and sound of classic cinema and little winks and nods to Citizen Kane throughout.

It’s a surprisingly overtly political work, which is good... but it does have a tendency to meander in its second half particularly. Some of its layering and intercutting of flashbacks is a bit clunky, especially compared to something like Kane. But most of the time I was engrossed, and there are a few scenes that would rank among the absolute best of the year (there’s a stunning party scene which feels like the next level up from The Social Network’s classic opening scene).

Well recommended when it drops on Friday, but certainly worth a trip to the big screen to see it if you can / feel safe doing so.

A lot of things to like about this, but meander was the word that came to my mind also. It lacked a little go forward and I found myself getting disengaged as it went on. Just lacked some dramatic coherence which makes its ultimately forgettable for me, aside from that exceptional scene and dialogue in the lounge.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Is Call Me Midwife worth the watch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

igCorcaigh wrote: »

It definitely it . But be aware of very graphic births .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Sort of in a Heartbeat Father Brown sort of way, social commentary wrapped up in nostalgia

• Registered Users Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

den87 wrote: »
    The new one or the first?
    I thought the first was really good too, but haven't caught number two yet

• Registered Users Posts: 43,873 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The first 2 episodes of 'We Are The Champions' were great (Cheese Chasing, Chilli Eating) but the remaining 4 are a slog!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Black Water: Abyss
    While exploring a cave system in Northern Australia, five friends find themselves fighting to survive rising water levels and a murderous creature.

Hard Kill
    When a billionaire hires a team of mercenaries for protection, they soon realize world-changing technology and his daughter's life are also at stake.

Tiny Pretty Things season 1
    When an attack brings down the star student at an elite ballet school, her replacement enters a world of lies, betrayal -- and cutthroat competition

A California Christmas
    With his carefree lifestyle on the line, a wealthy charmer poses as a ranch hand to get a hardworking farmer to sell her family's land before Christmas.

Hilda: Season 2
    Netflix’s animation transforms the Eisner-Award nominated graphic novels by Luke Pearson into a charming family series.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

The new one or the first?
    I thought the first was really good too, but haven't caught number two yet

The first. Hopefully get to see the 2nd one this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

Ava

I thought looked good with that cast (jessica chastain, John Malkovich, Colin Farrell, Geena Davis) and a normally pretty good director...but it is so so poor and formulaic.
    Despite Jessica Chastain giving it her all.
    The rest of the acting and the story is all over the shop....the family stuff in particular is dreadful, whoever played the sister is absolutely painful as is the ex....stilted and awkward in every single scene.
    Just watch Atomic Blonde again

John Malkovich is a canary in a coalmine for me these days. if he's in it I know something is amiss. After the Madoff stuff he'll appear in anything with a paycheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

So I watched The Prom - it was extremely cheesy and I loved it. Not normally my thing at all but I gave it a go because Andrew Rannels was in it, I only know him from voicing Matthew in Big Mouth so I was intrigued to see what he's like as an actor.

The knowledge that James Corden was in it nearly put me off but he totally goes against his usual thing of essentially playing himself and I was pleasantly surprised by the emotional vulnerability he shows in the film.

I'm surprised I enjoyed this as much as I did - it's cheesy nonsense, and so very predictable, but the message it sends is done in earnest and without any shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭santana75

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    91% on RT!

Is it that good?

Apart from the first one, Michael Bay's Transformers films are among the worst blockbusters of all time

Its actually very good. And I thought The transformers movies were terrible. This has something genuine about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

91% on RT!

Is it that good?

Much better than any other Transformers film I've seen, which isn't saying much. But the whole family enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

91% on RT!

Is it that good?

Michael Bay didn't direct this one - that's why it's not awful. Instead they got the director who worked on the wonderful 'Kubo and the Two Strings' so it had things like a script and actual emotional content.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

p to the e wrote: »
    John Malkovich is a canary in a coalmine for me these days. if he's in it I know something is amiss. After the Madoff stuff he'll appear in anything with a paycheque.
    This is exactly how I feel too.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,171 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The prom hits the three kinds of heat for ****ness

Ryan Murphy-nope
    Meryl Streep-nope
    James Corden- 404 error.

I would avoid that as much as I'd avoid my coughing uncle who is complaining about his tasteless dinner.

The trailer reminds me of an episode of Glee, which I liked so I think I will check it out ;):o

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ava was flat
    Tiny pretty things is great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭4Ad

Ava

I thought looked good with that cast (jessica chastain, John Malkovich, Colin Farrell, Geena Davis) and a normally pretty good director...but it is so so poor and formulaic.
    Despite Jessica Chastain giving it her all.
    The rest of the acting and the story is all over the shop....the family stuff in particular is dreadful, whoever played the sister is absolutely painful as is the ex....stilted and awkward in every single scene.
    Just watch Atomic Blonde again

Fair rubbish, only Jessica Chastain kept me watching it..
    Wouldn't recommend it..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Song Exploder: Volume 2
    Hrishikesh Hirway’s excellent podcast, which gets musicians to take apart their own songs, piece by piece, gets the Netflix TV treatment.

Love Song
    Despite past turmoil, a stifled songwriter must write a song for a country star when he meets a struggling singer who could be more than just a muse.

The Legend of Korra season 4
    An avatar who can control the elements fights to keep her city safe from the evil forces of both the physical and spiritual worlds.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

peteeeed wrote: »
    Song Exploder: Volume 2
    Hrishikesh Hirway’s excellent podcast, which gets musicians to take apart their own songs, piece by piece, gets the Netflix TV treatment.
    Big Nine Inch Nails fan but I'm genuinely on the fence on whether I want to watch a deep into the song Hurt. Somewhat afraid it'll taint my relationship with the song built up over the past 25 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭Macu17ab

Alice In Borderlands.

Very cool Japanese series on Netflix. I was once someone who wouldn’t bother with foreign tv and cinema as I didn’t want to bother with subtitles, but i’m really glad I came around during lockdown! Some great foreign stuff on Netflix at the moment.

The Korean series “Kingdom” is also a ridiculously good zombie series, 10/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Big Nine Inch Nails fan but I'm genuinely on the fence on whether I want to watch a deep into the song Hurt. Somewhat afraid it'll taint my relationship with the song built up over the past 25 years.

Can you take the risk so I don't have to? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Buttros

Macu17ab wrote: »
    Alice In Borderlands.

Very cool Japanese series on Netflix. I was once someone who wouldn’t bother with foreign tv and cinema as I didn’t want to bother with subtitles, but i’m really glad I came around during lockdown! Some great foreign stuff on Netflix at the moment.

The Korean series “Kingdom” is also a ridiculously good zombie series, 10/10.

I Watched all of Alice in Borderlands over 3 days. Its... interesting... Obviously i enjoyed it as i watched it in 3 days. Without giving anything away, you get an idea of the content after one episode and for me I was hooked after 2.

Advertisement