Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Started watching quicksand, a swedish drama about a school shooting. It's a good but uncomfortable watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

An Unremarkable Christmas
    An accountant and aspiring magician invites his boss to spend Christmas with his family -- unaware that he's one of Colombia's most-wanted criminals

Schulz Saves America
    Comedian Andrew Schulz takes on the year's most divisive topics in this fearlessly unfiltered and irreverent four-part special.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Netflix are rolling out an 'audio only' setting for Android devices. Not sure if the plan is to move to podcast like content altogether but it may be useful for things like stand up comedy and other genres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I watched two episodes of Tiny Pretty Things last night.
    It's Pretty Little Liars set in an ultra competitive ballet school. There's only 10 episodes in the first season but I can see myself moving through them quickly.
    The characters feel familiar, we've seen them in other things the dancer struggling to live up to her family's expectations, the dancer from the lower income area/worse school who is pulling ahead, the overly supporting parents and the opposite. The dancing is great, the script didn't feel clunky and I'll be a nice way to pass a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

So I watched The Prom - it was extremely cheesy and I loved it. Not normally my thing at all but I gave it a go because Andrew Rannels was in it, I only know him from voicing Matthew in Big Mouth so I was intrigued to see what he's like as an actor.

The knowledge that James Corden was in it nearly put me off but he totally goes against his usual thing of essentially playing himself and I was pleasantly surprised by the emotional vulnerability he shows in the film.

I'm surprised I enjoyed this as much as I did - it's cheesy nonsense, and so very predictable, but the message it sends is done in earnest and without any shame.

I watched it last - I found it fine. As musicals go, it wasn't particularly memorable, the songs were okay. It's a grand two hours, but not memorable - I'd have rather watched Hamilton again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I watched two episodes of Tiny Pretty Things last night.
    It's Pretty Little Liars set in an ultra competitive ballet school. There's only 10 episodes in the first season but I can see myself moving through them quickly.
    The characters feel familiar, we've seen them in other things the dancer struggling to live up to her family's expectations, the dancer from the lower income area/worse school who is pulling ahead, the overly supporting parents and the opposite. The dancing is great, the script didn't feel clunky and I'll be a nice way to pass a few hours.

Oh I am all over this!!!

You had me at pretty little liars!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9060481/Netflix-releases-haunting-trailer-new-docu-series-serial-murderer-Night-Stalker.html

Can’t wait for this.. Richard Ramirez serial killer documentary coming soon to Netflix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭santana75

fin12 wrote: »

Me too, looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I watched Black Water Abyss the other night. It's mostly a rehash of a number of other movies but was ok to a point. That point was about 3/4 of the way through. Has one of the most far fetched endings I have seen in a long time.

3/10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

fin12 wrote: »

Can't be better than the Lou Diamond Phillips film

Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Viola Davis and Chadwick Boseman star in this film based on August Wilson’s play about Ma Rainey, the “Mother of the Blues”, who makes a record in a studio in Chicago, 1927, only for Tensions boil between her, her white agent, her producer, and her bandmates.

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom: A Legacy Brought to Screen
    Viola Davis, Denzel Washington, George C. Wolfe and more share the heart, soul and history that brought August Wilson's timeless play to the screen

Home for Christmas: Season 2
    Ida Elise Broch (The Man Who Loved Yngve) and Felix Sandman (Quicksand) star in this holiday rom-com created by Per-Olav Sørensen (Quicksand).

Sweet Home: Season 1 (Korean)
    As humans turn into savage monsters and wreak terror, one troubled teen and his apartment neighbors fight to survive.

Paava Kadhaigal: Season 1
    At times dark, at times disturbing, four short films explore stories of those who dare to dream and desire — and those determined to stand in their way.

Blue Cafe and Guests
    Polish musical group Blue Cafe performs a holiday concert full of classic tunes, including "Let It Snow" and "Silent Night."

added

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Netflix are rolling out an 'audio only' setting for Android devices. Not sure if the plan is to move to podcast like content altogether but it may be useful for things like stand up comedy and other genres.

I follow a podcast of a marketing guy/investor and one of his predictions for Netflix is that for them to gain more revenue and compete with Apple and Amazon then Netflix will buy Spotify. I'm paraphrasing but it's interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

Looking forward to Sweet Home.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom is Chadwick Boseman's last film, for anyone wondering

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I'll stick with 21 Bridges, any music based film is a no- no for me,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

CastorTroy wrote: »

Was he sick during filming because he looks very thin in the trailer?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

p to the e wrote: »
    Was he sick during filming because he looks very thin in the trailer?

He was fighting the ilness for a couple of years before he died. I think even during Black Panther.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

He was fighting the ilness for a couple of years before he died. I think even during Black Panther.

I remember thinking he looked unwell during the funeral scene in Endgame and in 21 bridges he's extremely skinny. Such a shame but unbelievable that he managed to keep working.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I remember thinking he looked unwell during the funeral scene in Endgame and in 21 bridges he's extremely skinny. Such a shame but unbelievable that he managed to keep working.

To be honest I'd question his decision to keep working through it. He seemed to think he would beat it but he packed a lot of work into those few years, maybe that wasn't the best idea but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Tbh I can only say fair play to the guy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

He definitely looks thin in Ma Rainey, but by god the level of energy Boseman has in that film is off the charts. As a movie it’s fine - never quite escapes its filmed play routes. But Boseman delivers a genuine stormer in it - the kind of performance he didn’t get a chance to pull off in his blockbuster fare. He’s evenly matched by Viola Davis, who’s a force of nature in it too.

Unremarkable film. Two remarkable performances.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

joe40 wrote: »
    One of my favourite films of all time last of the Mohicans is on now. Must give it any watch. The battle scenes, scenery, music all fantastic for me anyway.
    Thu, Dec 24 · 00:05-01:10 · 132. Paramount
    The Last of the Mohicans

A good few of the new films on Netflix are also on TV so you can record ;)

Is there a list of Netflix offerings and IMDB ratings or similar ?
    There is too much filler to wade through. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

VonLuck wrote: »
    Can you take the risk so I don't have to? Thanks.
    Really enjoyed the song exploder episode. Trent even explicitly states how he dislikes when artists reveal the lyrical intent of a song in any detail as it often diminishes a listeners relationship with it, sidestepping what I feared.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the song exploder episode. Trent even explicitly states how he dislikes when artists reveal the lyrical intent of a song in any detail as it often diminishes a listeners relationship with it, sidestepping what I feared.

Losing my religion being a good example!

Ocean's 8
    Debbie Ocean gets out of prison bent on stealing a knockout necklace at the Met Gala. She recruits seven other women to pull off the grand heist.

La bohème
    This passionate production of Puccini's opera follows a group of young artists navigating life, love, and personal obstacles in 19th century Paris.

Mary, Queen of Scots (2018)
    A young Queen Mary returns to rule her native Scotland and battle her cousin, Queen Elizabeth I, for the throne of England.

The Nutcracker
    Telegram The timeless holiday spectacle about a girl who's swept into a fantasy world when her Christmas present comes to life, as performed by the Royal Ballet.

Rhys Nicholson Live at the Athenaeum
    Telegram Rhys Nicholson flexes his biting humor as he discusses horse tranquilizers, angry letters from viewers, and more in this stand-up special.

added

peteeeed wrote: »
    Mary, Queen of Scots (2018)
    A young Queen Mary returns to rule her native Scotland and battle her cousin, Queen Elizabeth I, for the throne of England.

I really liked this one. It's more political thriller-ish than period drama. Not sure how necessary the imagined scene between the two leads was but on the whole it was a good watch.

• Advertisement

Coming in January
    N=Netflix original

January 1st
    All About Nina (2018) – Rom-com following a stand-up comedian (played by Mary Elizabeth Winstead) who sees her life turned upside down.
    Arizona (2018) – Comedy thriller starring Danny McBride set during the 2009 housing crisis.
    Around the World in 80 Days (2004) – Disney & Walden Media’s big remake of the classic adventure starring Jackie Chan and Steve Coogan.
    Bathtubs Over Broadway (2018) – Musical documentary.
    Dream Home Makeover (Season 2) N – Reality series.
    Dredd (2012) – Karl Urban kicks serious butt in this violent sci-fi romp.
    Full Out 2: You Got This (2020) – American family comedy about a team of gymnasts who must attempt to win their second nationals without the help of their star gymnast.
    Here and Now (2018) – Sarah Jessica Parker and Renée Zellweger headline this musical romance drama about a singer in New York getting a grim diagnosis.
    Monarca (Season 1) N – Mexican drama centered around a family fighting for the control of their tequila empire.
    My Sister’s Keeper (2009) – Cameron Diaz stars in this heart-wrenching family drama.

Saving Private Ryan (1998) – Steven Spielberg’s epic WW2 movie on the Normandy Landings.
    Semi-Pro (2008) – Will Ferrell stars as Jackie Moon, an owner-coach-player looking to make his dreams come true in the NBA.
    Shoot ‘Em Up (2007) – Michael Davis writes and directs this action thriller starring Clive Owen.
    Running Man (Season 1) – Children’s animated comedy.
    The Circle USA (Season 1) N – The US spin-off of the Channel 4 game show.
    The Minimalists: Less is Now (2021) N – Documentary looking at two friends pioneering a new movement of having less.
    What Happened to Mr. Cha? (2021) N – South Korean comedy centered around a washed-up megastar struggling to restore his reputation.
    Wild Target (2010) – Bill Nighy and Emily Blunt feature in this action-comedy from over a decade ago about a hitman desperately trying to retire.
    Valiant (2005) – Animated feature about pigeons serving in the Royal Homing Pigeon Service during World War 2.

January 2nd
    Asphalt Burning (2021) N – German action-comedy about a man who makes a bet he can race cross-country.

January 3rd
    All Is True (2018) – Biographical drama starring Kenneth Branagh as William Shakespeare in the final days of his life.

January 4th
    Korean Porkbelly Rhapsody (New Episodes Weekly) – A cooking TV series love letter to South Korean favorite dish, Pork Belly.

January 5th
    Gabby’s Dollhouse (Season 1) N – Children’s animation series centered around a pre-schooler and her colorful collection of kitties.
    History of Swear Words (Season 1) N – Nicholas Cage docu-series looking into the history of swearwords.
    Nailed It! Mexico (Season 3) N – Spin-off of the Nailed It! series, taking the competition to Mexico for the third time.

January 6th
    Surviving Death (Season 1) N – Reality series looking into the paranormal and near-death experiences.

January 7th
    I Am Woman (2019) – Helen Reddy biopic.
    Pieces of a Woman (2021) N – Vanessa Kirby and Shia LaBeouf star as a couple whose lives are changed forever when tragedy strikes during the home birth of their baby.
    Tag (2018) – Comedy about a group of childhood friends that continue to live their annual game of tag, with disastrous and hilarious consequences.

January 8th
    Cobra Kai (Season 3) N – Continuation of the story of The Karate Kid and the intense rivalry of Johnny Lawrence and Danny LaRusso.

Azizler (2021) N – Turkish drama.
    I Am Woman (2019) – Biographical drama about musician and female rights activist Helen Reddy.
    The Idhun Chronicles (Part 2) N – Spanish-language anime series.
    Inside the World’s Toughest Prisons (Season 5) N – In-depth docuseries that gives us insight into the everyday lives of prisoners in the world’s most infamous prisons.
    Lupin (Season 1) N – French crime-drama based on the early 20th Century stories by French novelist Maurice Leblanc.
    Stuck Apart (2020) N – Dark Turkish comedy about a man suffering from a midlife crisis.

January 10th
    Gogglebox (Season 5) – More sofa antics with plebs watching the telly.
    Instant Family (2018) – A married couple, desperate to start a family find themselves in over their heads when they adopt three foster children.

January 11th
    Crack: Cocaine, Corruption & Conspiracy (2021) N – Documentary looking into the powerful drug trade that plagued America in the 1980s.

January 13th
    Night Stalker: The Hunt for a Serial Killer (Limited Series) N – Docu-series that looks into a notorious serial killer who operated in the mid-1980s.

January 14th
    The Heartbreak Club (2021) N – Indian romantic ensemble movie.

January 15th
    Bling Empire (Season 1) N – Docusoap following the rich and wealthy in Los Angeles.
    Disenchantment (Part 3) N – Matt Groening’s medieval animated series returns for another batch of episodes.
    Double Dad (2021) N – Brazillian about a girl searching for her father.
    Kuruko’s Basketball (Season 1) – Anime basketball series.
    Outside the Wire (2021) N – Sci-fi war thriller about a drone pilot teaming up with an android.

January 19th
    Hello Ninja (Season 4) N – Family animated series.

January 21st
    Call My Agent! (Season 4) N – French comedy series about the lives of people working at a talent agency.

January 22nd
    Jurrasic World: Camp Cretaceous (Season 2) N – Next batch of episodes following the summer camp shenanigans set in the Jurrasic Park universe.
    The White Tiger (2021) N – English-language drama centered around the journey of a poor Indian driver trying to break free from the control of those above him, and rise to the very top.

January 24th
    Booksmart (2019) – Olivia Wilde directs this high school graduation comedy.

January 27th
    50M2 (Season 1) N – Turkish dark-comedy series.

January 29th
    The Dig (2021) N – Drama based on the John Preston novel which reimagines the events of the 1939 excavation of Sutton Hoo.

Advertisement