Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Is season 4 of Fargo coming to Netflix?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Is season 4 of Fargo coming to Netflix?

No. Starts on TG4 tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

gmisk wrote: »
    I see the BBC series back to life has been added to Netflix.
    It is really excellent best to almost go in blind to it.
    Hard to classify but it is a sort of dark drama comedy

Started watching this last night, it’s very good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s the great Hayao Miyazaki’s 80th birthday today so no better moment for a periodic reminder that Netflix’s substantial Studio Ghibli collection is far and away the single best reason to have a Netflix subscription :)

If you haven’t seen My Neighbour Totoro, Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke, they’re among the very best films ever made and endlessly rewatchable. If you have, worth digging into his lesser known films - they’re all still fascinating. And if you’ve seen them all, there’s never a bad time to just watch Ponyo again :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Babyteeth was excellent.

• Advertisement

It’s the great Hayao Miyazaki’s 80th birthday today so no better moment for a periodic reminder that Netflix’s substantial Studio Ghibli collection is far and away the single best reason to have a Netflix subscription :)

If you haven’t seen My Neighbour Totoro, Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke, they’re among the very best films ever made and endlessly rewatchable. If you have, worth digging into his lesser known films - they’re all still fascinating. And if you’ve seen them all, there’s never a bad time to just watch Ponyo again :p

I've been slowly working my way through them and I have to say I haven't really liked any of them. I think I might be broken. Spirited Away is the highest rated animated film of all time on Letterboxd, watched it today and found it very meh.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Film 4 show them every once in a while too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Surviving Death season 1
    What happens after we die? This docuseries explores personal stories and research on near-death experiences, reincarnation and paranormal phenomena.

Tony Parker: The Final Shot
    This film examines the background and career of Tony Parker, whose determination led him to become arguably the greatest French basketball player

added

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

I've been slowly working my way through them and I have to say I haven't really liked any of them. I think I might be broken. Spirited Away is the highest rated animated film of all time on Letterboxd, watched it today and found it very meh.

Out of curiosity did you watch it in English or Japanese? I saw the Japanese version first and for some reason just liked it better. It shouldn't really matter for an animation but it just does.

p to the e wrote: »
    Out of curiosity did you watch it in English or Japanese? I saw the Japanese version first and for some reason just liked it better. It shouldn't really matter for an animation but it just does.

Howl's Moving Castle I recorded off E4 a while back and didn't realise it was dubbed until I sat down to watch it. The rest (Totoro, Spirited Away, Whispers of the Heart, Arrietty and Poppy Hill) I've watched on Netflix in Japanese with subtitles.
    I'm disappointed myself because I was so excited when they were all added to Netflix but so far I'm not loving any of them. I still want to see Grave of the Fireflies and When Marnie Was There, which I think are Ghibli, but not Miyazaki, but other than that I'm in no hurry to explore the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Howl's Moving Castle I recorded off E4 a while back and didn't realise it was dubbed until I sat down to watch it. The rest (Totoro, Spirited Away, Whispers of the Heart, Arrietty and Poppy Hill) I've watched on Netflix in Japanese with subtitles.
    I'm disappointed myself because I was so excited when they were all added to Netflix but so far I'm not loving any of them. I still want to see Grave of the Fireflies and When Marnie Was There, which I think are Ghibli, but not Miyazaki, but other than that I'm in no hurry to explore the rest.

Is there something specific you don't like about them, or does it vary from film to film? I'm just surprised there hasn't been at least one of them that clicked with you. You used to be cool _ELMO, you used to be so cool *shakes head* :pac:

pixelburp wrote: »
    Is there something specific you don't like about them, or does it vary from film to film? I'm just surprised there hasn't been at least one of them that clicked with you. You used to be cool _ELMO, you used to be so cool *shakes head* :pac:

I know, I feel ashamed of myself for saying it.

I don't really know what it is, I just don't seem to be able to connect to anything in them. Spirited Away, for example, just felt like a lot of random bits of storylines very loosely tied together. I know that's what some people like about it, the mystical, fantasy elements of it and the lack of a traditional western narrative structure, but I just seem to struggle with it. Totoro was the same but at least it seemed to have one actual storyline running through it. I read that Miyazaki doesn't have scripts for some of his films and just let's them go where they want when he's story boarding them, and that's kind of what it feels like when I'm watching them,but in a bad way?

I'm surprised at myself because I'm not a cynical person when it comes to enjoying things outside the traditional structure of an animated film. I watched and loved The Red Turtle a while ago. I'm wondering if it's Miyazaki himself I've got an issue with, which is why I'm going to try and watch a couple of the other Ghibli ones from other directors.

I'm also not sure the Covid climate is the best time to be watching them. My mind is constantly wandering these days and most of these films are 2 hours long, so if I don't connect with something almost immediately, it's a long slog to get to the end.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Have you tried Nausicaa yet or Princess Mononoke?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Have you tried Nausicaa yet or Princess Mononoke?

I have not. I saw Princess Mononke mentioned in pretty much every single Wolfwalkers review I read, so I am leaning towards giving it a go at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,669 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

fin12 wrote: »
    Started watching this last night, it’s very good.
    It gets even better as it goes along imo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I know, I feel ashamed of myself for saying it.

I didn't try nearly as many of these as you have but I found myself feeling the same when I tried watching Spirited Away. There's no doubt the animation and imagination on display are impressive but it didn't amount to anything more than that for me. Sometimes a thing just ain't your bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Oh wow, great! Been wanting to watch that for years!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Obligatory "Go stand in the corner and think about what you've done" jokes aside, I would say that The Wind Rises or The Tale Of The Princess Kaguya would be good ones to try next - TWR is Miyazaki but fairly grounded, and Kaguya is directed by Isao Takahata rather than Hayao Miyazaki.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Definitely think continuing to seek out Grave of the Fireflies too is worth doing as it's entirely different to traditional ethereal Ghibli.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

gmisk wrote: »
    It gets even better as it goes along imo

I finished it last night. Very funny. Was there any other sessions?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Rfrip wrote: »
    Two episodes left and it’s so so good!!!

Just finished Bridgeton ! Well I admit I was wrong and really enjoyed it .! Its pure fluff and nonsense but its like reading a Georgette Hayer novel and just getting a bit lost in it .!
    My only complaint is I found it hard to understand what Simon was saying a lot of the time . .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Rfrip

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Just finished Bridgeton ! Well I admit I was wrong and really enjoyed it .! Its pure fluff and nonsense but its like reading a Georgette Hayer novel and just getting a bit lost in it .!
    My only complaint is I found it hard to understand what Simon was saying a lot of the time . .

Simon? I didn't hear a single word he said throughout the entire thing :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭iniall

My Neighbor Totoro is one of my all-time favourite films. Such a brilliant, magical film. I'll aim to watch it again this evening to celebrate the great man's birthday.

I'll add Porco Rosso to the favourites list, alongside Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service.

A very happy birthday to the wonderful Miyazaki!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

When I finally got around to watching My Neighbour Tortoro, what took me aback was how there was (essentially) no actual plot or story - at least not on the surface as the framing device revolved around the leads' mother recovering in a hospital. The film was an absolute joy to watch, soaking in the atmosphere or simple pleasures of the thing - but I'd be damned either if I could describe the film to another person without making it sound ... ... well, kinda boring. It also nailed that glorious feeling of rain pattering on an umbrella :D

When I finally got around to watching My Neighbour Tortoro, what took me aback was how there was (essentially) no actual plot or story - at least not on the surface as the framing device revolved around the leads' mother recovering in a hospital. The film was an absolute joy to watch, soaking in the atmosphere or simple pleasures of the thing - but I'd be damned either if I could describe the film to another person without making it sound ... ... well, kinda boring. It also nailed that glorious feeling of rain pattering on an umbrella :D

Yeah, there's lots of things to admire about the films, I can't deny that. I watched Tales From the Loop on Amazon a few months ago, and it's the same kind of thing. Like I was totally absorbed by every second of every episode and yet if I tried to tell you what any of it was about it would sound incredibly boring. And yet, I loved it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ponyo has become a favourite of mine recently. I think it’s Miyazaki’s attempt to make a more exciting and hyperactive movie for families, but it’s still all filtered through his usual idiosyncratic storytelling motivations and philosophy. It’s also great to see him experimenting with a more expressive and colourful style of animation - not that his usual style lacks energy or colour, but there’s a liveliness to Ponyo’s animation which feels really fresh given it’s so deep into Miyazaki’s career.

Who am I kidding though, I love them all :) Totally fell for Porco Rosso last time I watched it after being so-so about it before. Must also revisit the Wind Rising in the next while as haven’t seen that since release.

Yeah, there's lots of things to admire about the films, I can't deny that. I watched Tales From the Loop on Amazon a few months ago, and it's the same kind of thing. Like I was totally absorbed by every second of every episode and yet if I tried to tell you what any of it was about it would sound incredibly boring. And yet, I loved it.

Oh, must actually finish that series! The flipside of something so chilled & ambling show like Tales from the Loop is that it can easily get bumped off a personal watchlist for shows more ostensibly visceral and full of Shock Plot Twists!

I would speculate that form what you've said already, perhaps you're just not in the frame of mind for Ghibli movies, especially the more contemplative, somnambulant ones. For sure had I not been in the mood for Tortoro when I watched it I am sure I'd have checked out halfway through.

• Advertisement

I would speculate that form what you've said already, perhaps you're just not in the frame of mind for Ghibli movies, especially the more contemplative, somnambulant ones. For sure had I not been in the mood for Tortoro when I watched it I am sure I'd have checked out halfway through.

Yeah, it's funny how my mindset has changed throughout the last 10 months or so. I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I find my attention span is almost non existent at times. I may leave the Ghibli films and come back to them at another time, or when I see they're about to leave Netflix and binge them all in 2 days

Advertisement