Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Knine wrote: »
    Pieces of a woman was very good but heartbreaking in parts.

Pieces & Parts, I love it :D

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 29,034 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I can actually help you with the Big alternate ending thing. I remember reading about it before so looked into it and turns out there is a film with a similar concept that does end that way called 14 Going on 30 from 1988.

I'm sure a thread exists already of similar things, like I was sure the Waco kid in Blazing Saddles had a 7 shot 6 shooter until I rewatched recently and that Rocky Horror Picture Show had Monster Mash.

As for Seven it was stated a few times that hinting rather than showing was pretty effective as people seem to remember the film being more graphic overall

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

Watched Lupin. Fairly enjoyable and something different in the output.

Worth a watch i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

You might be confusing it with the fact that that was going to be the original ending, they even had a head made to shoot the scene that way, but at the last minute they decided it was overkill and unnecessary - that not seeing the head made the scene better

Pictures of the head in the box are out there on the internet so you may have seen a few of them and tied that in as well?

Honestly I think it must just be from some other movie. I found a few posts on the internet that remember it exactly as I do but not many (as opposed to Big where loads of people remember it the wrong way, probably all mixing it up with the movie Castor Troy mentioned)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Watched Rose Island and really enjoyed it. Italian movie with subtitles, about a man who builds an Island off the coast of Italy. Based on a true story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Caegan

budgemook wrote: »
    Honestly I think it must just be from some other movie. I found a few posts on the internet that remember it exactly as I do but not many (as opposed to Big where loads of people remember it the wrong way, probably all mixing it up with the movie Castor Troy mentioned)

They used the head prop from Se7en in contagion for the autopsy scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

peteeeed wrote: »
    Once Upon a Time in London
    Organized crime came to London in the 1930s, ushering in three decades ruled by two legendary gangsters whose legacy outlived their reign.

added

Is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Choochtown

"Only the Animals" est magnifique!

French twisty mystery

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

World toughest prisons, season 5 added. Very good. Ur man Raphael is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Assassin's Creed

Gogglebox season 5

Instant Family
    Telegram Two house flippers are certain they can handle their latest project: adopting three longtime foster kids. But this group is anything but a family.

added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Probably recommended already but some good dubbed shows

To the lake (Russian)
    Better than us (Russian)
    The Barrier (Spanish)

Lupin is pretty good. French with English subtitles

Lupin is great, finished it all .

Thumbs up for I am woman aswell. Watched some great stuff this weekend on Netflix.

I wonder is that I am woman based on a true story, it’s actually really good and inspiring. Very catchy song..... I AM WOMAN.....

Sorry it is based on a true story.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,176 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Happy Monday

Crack: Cocaine, Corruption & Conspiracy
    A cheap, powerful drug emerges during a recession, igniting a moral panic fueled by racism. Explore the complex history of crack in the 1980s.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

peteeeed wrote:
    Crack: Cocaine, Corruption & Conspiracy A cheap, powerful drug emerges during a recession, igniting a moral panic fueled by racism. Explore the complex history of crack in the 1980s.

Watched this today... Very good and informative. Recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Is it a film or perfume ad :p
    It's strikingly shot. Looks very like a stage play though.

EDIT: I wonder if there'll be a glut of stuff like this in the coming year. It's very easy to shoot this under covid. You need about five people on the set, and it's doable for pocket change for a lot of Hollywood types. Lots of idle film cast and crew around, and a market starved of content.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

peteeeed wrote:
    Crack: Cocaine, Corruption & Conspiracy A cheap, powerful drug emerges during a recession, igniting a moral panic fueled by racism. Explore the complex history of crack in the 1980s.

Watched this today... Very good and informative. Recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Started Office Uprising the other day because I saw someone talking about it on Twitter. It wasn't bad but the budget was quite low and the aesthetic just struck me as really dreary and not what I was looking for so I stopped after about 15 minutes. I was disappointed because the premise sounds fun and Zachary Levi is meant to be good in it. I might go back to it at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Kill the Messenger staring Jeremey Renner who plays journalist Gary Webb. True story about reporter that uncovers the involvement of the CIA in drug and gun smuggling from central America into the US.

This is an excellent movie and is well worth a watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Darksoul

La Révolution is very good, French series but in English dubbed. The fight scenes in this is one of the best I seen in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,670 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am very late to the Cobra Kai party....
    I watched one episode when it was first out, but it didn't really hook me...but...I went back to it and I am up to episode 5.
    It is so so much fun.
    It's a really odd mix of comedy, schmaltz and nostalgia but somehow it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I'd recommend The Queen's Gambit, not the best show I've ever seen and it's fairly predictable but it's enjoyable and Taylor-Joy is very engaging in the lead role. There's a lot to be said for a good one-shot series, I thought Maniac was another great Netflix one-shot.

A better recommendation is Back to Life - has similar vibes to Afterlife, very dark comedy but (I'm assuming it's because Daisy Haggard wouldn't have the highest profile) nowhere near as self indulgent as Afterlife - I really enjoyed it and I really hope there's another season.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,670 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I'd recommend The Queen's Gambit, not the best show I've ever seen and it's fairly predictable but it's enjoyable and Taylor-Joy is very engaging in the lead role. There's a lot to be said for a good one-shot series, I thought Maniac was another great Netflix one-shot.

A better recommendation is Back to Life - has similar vibes to Afterlife, very dark comedy but (I'm assuming it's because Daisy Haggard wouldn't have the highest profile) nowhere near as self indulgent as Afterlife - I really enjoyed it and I really hope there's another season.
    I enjoyed the queen's gambit my other half gave up at episode 5, it dips a bit around episode 5 and 6, it can be a bit slow in general but episode 7 was fantastic, acting great and it looks brilliant.

Back to life is excellent I watched it when on BBC, new season due this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

peteeeed wrote: »
    Happy Monday

Crack: Cocaine, Corruption & Conspiracy
    A cheap, powerful drug emerges during a recession, igniting a moral panic fueled by racism. Explore the complex history of crack in the 1980s.

added

Also watched this today. Pretty good, well produced. Great soundtrack and some genuinely heartbreaking stories. Alot of pretty similar content to other Netflix docs like 13th etc so nothing groundbreaking in terms of news but an enjoyable evening watch all the same.

As with most of these sort of documentaries I'm left with a cocktail of helplessness, frustration anger and sadness. So really a perfect watch for 2021.

The Reagan administration were ****ing monsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭rtron

Probably a bit late, but I'm rivetted after 2 episodes of Alice in Borderland. Parts of ep 2 were really really tense. I was expecting something like Ready Player One but it's so far away from that.
    Dang you, started this yesterday and now can't go to bed. On the last episode... :-)

Chris Rock Total Blackout: The Tamborine Extended Cut
    In this extended cut of his 2018 special, Chris Rock takes the stage for a special filled with searing observations on fatherhood, infidelity and politics.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Plenty of new movies coming this year anyway.

https://twitter.com/digitalspy/status/1348999046153859074?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Plenty of new movies coming this year anyway
    Sometimes you have to be impressed. I know their film output has been patchy (at best) but that's an impressive amount of stuff they're making, and it all looks like original ideas. When we all complain about Hollywood being so focused on franchises, reboots, sequels etc you have to applaud netflix. Hopefully some of the films are actually good!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's an impressive quantity, but I'd be cautious given their propensity for the cinematic equivalent of shovelware; their resting tactic last year felt like throwing one A-list star at a D-list script & production (see something like The Old Guard).

Mind you, if you had told 2005 version of me as I watched the execrable "Doom" movie, that Dwayne Johnson would be the biggest Hollywood star in 2020, I'd have laughed.

Advertisement