Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's an impressive quantity, but I'd be cautious given their propensity for the cinematic equivalent of shovelware; their resting tactic last year felt like throwing one A-list star at a D-list script & production (see something like The Old Guard).

Mind you, if you had told 2005 version of me as I watched the execrable "Doom" movie, that Dwayne Johnson would be the biggest Hollywood star in 2020, I'd have laughed.

Not everyone will agree with D-list script. As immortals go, it was better than most nonsense. Loads of rubbish in it. I and the few people who recommended it would have paid for the over priced popcorn to watch it on the big screen.

Not every movie has to move mountains or make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. Something fun is just as enjoyable. Even if the bad guy is a bigger twit than Facebook Lex.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

State of Play is another cracking movie I had previously let slip by. Political drama with a star studded cast. An investigation is made after a senator's assistant is murdered and the police are helped along the way by journalists from the local press.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,034 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Plenty of new movies coming this year anyway.

https://twitter.com/digitalspy/status/1348999046153859074?s=09

A Kissing Booth during a pandemic? How irresponsible!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Masala

enjoyed the French film 'The Crew' last night.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Charlie19 wrote: »
    State of Play is another cracking movie I had previously let slip by. Political drama with a star studded cast. An investigation is made after a senator's assistant is murdered and the police are helped along the way by journalists from the local press.

If you haven't seen the BBC miniseries it was adapted from you should definitely seek it out.

It's outstanding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

QikBax wrote: »
    If you haven't seen the BBC miniseries it was adapted from you should definitely seek it out.

It's outstanding.

Funnily enough I thought there was similarities to the storyline of House of Cards and that too is based on a British drama.

I will look out for it, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Night Stalker: The Hunt for a Serial Killer
    Beneath the sunlit glamour of 1985 LA lurks a relentlessly evil serial killer. In this true-crime story, two detectives won't rest until they catch him.

Broken Law
    A dedicated police officer must choose between his bloodline or the law when his recently jailed brother puts him in a compromising position

Sputnik
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sputnik_2020
    After barely surviving a space accident, a Soviet cosmonaut returns to Earth, where it turns out that he has brought something ominous with him.

added

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Sputnik sounds right up my street!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,671 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I recommended the film Joy to my folks.
    The one with Jennifer Lawrence...turns out they ended up watching a totally different film called Joy about Nigerian sex trafficking by accident....
    They said it was good though in fairness lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Sputnik is pretty good. Derivative but well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Sputnik is pretty good. Derivative but well done.

What does that mean? That it has taken multiple parts of different shows plots/ideas?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Nalz wrote: »
    What does that mean? That it has taken multiple parts of different shows plots/ideas?

Yeah, bit of Alien, Arrival, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭santana75

Started watching "Night stalker: The hunt for a serial killer" last night. Two episodes in and its gripping stuff. What really stood out to me was how incredible those Homicide detectives were. They sacrificed their own personal lives and families to catch a killer. The guy of mexican heritage had joined the military at 17, had a couple of tours in Vietnam done by 20, and a cop by 21, then went on to be a Homicide detective and work one of the most notorious murder cases in American history.......they were a different breed of men back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

santana75 wrote: »
    Started watching "Night stalker: The hunt for a serial killer" last night. Two episodes in and its gripping stuff. What really stood out to me was how incredible those Homicide detectives were. They sacrificed their own personal lives and families to catch a killer. The guy of mexican heritage had joined the military at 17, had a couple of tours in Vietnam done by 20, and a cop by 21, then went on to be a Homicide detective and work one of the most notorious murder cases in American history.......they were a different breed of men back then.

Cheers, I'll just skip the first 2 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

santana75 wrote:

While the cops were front and central I think that what stands out is the victims and the trail of destruction ramirez left behind him.. Plus spoilers would be helpful for people who haven't watched it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭santana75

Cheers, I'll just skip the first 2 episodes.

No worries. Bit silly to do that though

Enjoying the night stalker doc too.
    Never heard of him tbh.
    Seriously grizzly to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

smurf492 wrote: »
    While the cops were front and central I think that what stands out is the victims and the trail of destruction ramirez left behind him.. Plus spoilers would be helpful for people who haven't watched it.

It's ok to spoil documentaries in here, it's been done before and was perfectly fine...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

It's ok to spoil documentaries in here, it's been done before and was perfectly fine...

It’s a show about real life events. There are no spoilers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

not this again

• Advertisement

budgemook wrote: »
    not this again

But sure it always starts with someone making a smart comment, use spoilers or thanks for spoiling......

On the night stalker doc
    they missed so many chances to catch him....the thing with the buzzer in the dentist is particularly stupid! What a disaster, along with the car. They came close with trainer too...literally one pair sold that size make and model in LA
    I am using spoilers in case people don't know the case like me.

gmisk wrote: »
    On the night stalker doc
    they missed so many chances to catch him....the thing with the buzzer in the dentist is particularly stupid! What a disaster, along with the car.
    I am using spoilers in case people don't know the case like me.
    haven’t watched the documentary yet but know about him, the thing that was unbelievable was the amount of groupies he had in the trial, they were obsessed with him

fin12 wrote: »
    haven’t watched the documentary yet but know about him, the thing that was unbelievable was the amount of groupies he had in the trial, they were obsessed with him
    Yeah that was odd but
    Bundy and Dahmer especially were the same
    .... Americans can be an odd bunch!

Outside the Wire
    Set in the future, this sci-fi thriller follows a drone pilot sent into a deadly militarised zone where he finds himself working for an android officer (Anthony Mackie) tasked to locate a doomsday device before the insurgents do. It is written by Rob Yescombe and Rowan Athale and directed by Mikael Håfström (Escape Plan, 1408, Evil).

Carmen Sandiego: Season 4
    Netflix’s stylish cartoon returns for a fourth chapter.

Disenchantment: Part 3
    Matt Groening’s animated comedy fantasy series, set in the crumbling medieval kingdom of Dreamland, follows the misadventures of the hard-drinking young princess, her feisty elf companion, Elfo, and her personal demon, Luci. Along the way, the oddball trio encounter ogres, sprites, harpies, imps, trolls, walruses, and lots of human fools.

Bling Empire: Season 1
    Follow LA’s wildly wealthy Asian and Asian American fun seekers as they go all out with fabulous parties, glamour and drama in this reality series

Double Dad
    While her mom is away, a teen sneaks out of the hippie commune where she lives and embarks on a life-changing adventure.

What Would Sophia Loren Do?
    In this delightful short documentary, an Italian American grandmother and film buff finds strength and joy in the life of her screen idol, Sophia Loren.

Kuroko's Basketball (Manga)
    Five middle school basketball stars went to separate high schools, and now Tetsuya Kuroko and Seirin High are making their play for glory.

Cheat season 1
    When an ambitious university professor accuses an entitled student of cheating on an essay, she triggers a test of wills with deadly consequences.

Partners for Justice season 1&2 (Korean)
    To pin down criminals and solve cases, a grouchy but brilliant forensic doctor opens up his world to a bright-eyed rookie prosecutor.

Superstore (5 seasons )
    At a big-box megastore in St. Louis, a group of employees with larger-than-life personalities put up with customers, day-to-day duties and each other

Informer Season 1
    After getting arrested, a charismatic man gets pressured to work for a pair of murky police officers as an informant in order to protect his family

Rambo
    When governments fail to act on behalf of captive missionaries, former Green Beret John Rambo sets aside his peaceful existence to take action (slight spoiler he forgets peace very quickly )

added

• Registered Users Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

peteeeed wrote: »
    Outside the Wire
    Set in the future, this sci-fi thriller follows a drone pilot sent into a deadly militarised zone where he finds himself working for an android officer (Anthony Mackie) tasked to locate a doomsday device before the insurgents do. It is written by Rob Yescombe and Rowan Athale and directed by Mikael Håfström (Escape Plan, 1408, Evil)
    This looked interesting and I like Anthony Mackie I just checked reviews. The concensus seems to be that it's decent. Well made and entertaining enough but pretty derivative. I'll probably check it out

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I get a serious Old Guard vibe off the trailer for Outside the Wire ie tv pilot masquerading as big budget block buster. Still going to watch it though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I spent the last two evenings watching "AUSCHWITZ: The Nazis and the final solution", a 2005 6 episode BCC documentary on the infamous camp and its staff and long term prisoners. I thought I knew the story but this was simply eye watering in its in depth history of the place and the people who ran it and survived it.

Well worth a watch if your interested in that sort of history. Being a BBC production its top notch.

peteeeed wrote: »
    Outside the Wire
    Set in the future, this sci-fi thriller follows a drone pilot sent into a deadly militarised zone where he finds himself working for an android officer (Anthony Mackie) tasked to locate a doomsday device before the insurgents do. It is written by Rob Yescombe and Rowan Athale and directed by Mikael Håfström (Escape Plan, 1408, Evil).

Carmen Sandiego: Season 4
    Netflix’s stylish cartoon returns for a fourth chapter.

Disenchantment: Part 3
    Matt Groening’s animated comedy fantasy series, set in the crumbling medieval kingdom of Dreamland, follows the misadventures of the hard-drinking young princess, her feisty elf companion, Elfo, and her personal demon, Luci. Along the way, the oddball trio encounter ogres, sprites, harpies, imps, trolls, walruses, and lots of human fools.

Bling Empire: Season 1
    Follow LA’s wildly wealthy Asian and Asian American fun seekers as they go all out with fabulous parties, glamour and drama in this reality series

Double Dad
    While her mom is away, a teen sneaks out of the hippie commune where she lives and embarks on a life-changing adventure.

What Would Sophia Loren Do?
    In this delightful short documentary, an Italian American grandmother and film buff finds strength and joy in the life of her screen idol, Sophia Loren.

Kuroko's Basketball (Manga)
    Five middle school basketball stars went to separate high schools, and now Tetsuya Kuroko and Seirin High are making their play for glory.

Cheat season 1
    When an ambitious university professor accuses an entitled student of cheating on an essay, she triggers a test of wills with deadly consequences.

Partners for Justice season 1&2 (Korean)
    To pin down criminals and solve cases, a grouchy but brilliant forensic doctor opens up his world to a bright-eyed rookie prosecutor.

Superstore (5 seasons )
    At a big-box megastore in St. Louis, a group of employees with larger-than-life personalities put up with customers, day-to-day duties and each other

Informer Season 1
    After getting arrested, a charismatic man gets pressured to work for a pair of murky police officers as an informant in order to protect his family

Rambo
    When governments fail to act on behalf of captive missionaries, former Green Beret John Rambo sets aside his peaceful existence to take action (slight spoiler he forgets peace very quickly )

added

Is superstore a reality show or tv drama series ( actors) ? F it’s not a reality show, I think a show like that would be pretty cool to do. A reality show following supermarket staff.

• Advertisement

fin12 wrote: »
    Is superstore a reality show or tv drama series ( actors) ? F it’s not a reality show, I think a show like that would be pretty cool to do. A reality show following supermarket staff.

American sitcom television series

Advertisement