Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭appledrop

Just started watching the Alienist.

It's not an easy watch but certainly keeps you engaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Caegan

The Alienist was excellent. Thanks for the reminder to get watching season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Watched Hotel Artemis today, was expecting a John Wick style bullet fest but it's not that kind of film at all

I enjoyed it as something to pass the time although Charlie Day was totally miscast as Acapulco

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

RoboCop
    Critically injured in the line of duty, a cop is transformed into an experimental crime-fighting cyborg in this reboot of the 1980s sci-fi classic.

Monster Run (Chinese)
    Jimo, an outcast who can see monsters, teams up with a monster hunter to fight evil forces and soon discovers her greater calling

added

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Really enjoying watching firefly play , only 2 episodes left . If u liked virgin river I think u would like this too. Soap drama type show. Love it. If anyone is watching it, anyone know what other shows that Max guy has been in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I'd recommend not watching the RoboCop reboot. Really poor.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Taken by itself it's a fairly generic Hollywood movie. It's grand, nothing memorable. Taken alongside the original it's a complete cash-in with no soul. I wouldn't buy it for a dollar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Taken by itself it's a fairly generic Hollywood movie. It's grand, nothing memorable. Taken alongside the original it's a complete cash-in with no soul. I wouldn't buy it for a dollar.

"I fought the law" over the end credits is the best bit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Rfrip

fin12 wrote: »
    Really enjoying watching firefly play , only 2 episodes left . If u liked virgin river I think u would like this too. Soap drama type show. Love it. If anyone is watching it, anyone know what other shows that Max guy has been in?

I’m really enjoying it fin! Halfway through!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

It literally is increasing every year by a euro. They are actually greedy f*ckers cause their subscriptions increased by loads this year due to Covid.

They're a business, it's their job to make money.
    They'll charge the maximum prize that will give them maximum profit. Everyone in any business big or small does that.
    We as the consumer choose to pay or not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It is a completely pointless reboot. The Sam Jackson interstitials occasionally flirted with a satirical streak like the original but the actual movie played it straight and earnest to the point of boredom. A pure cash grab without even the hint of a soul, not even worth it as a curiousity. Same with that Total Recall reboot, you're just left going "what was the point in that??"

pixelburp wrote: »
    It is a completely pointless reboot. The Sam Jackson interstitials occasionally flirted with a satirical streak like the original but the actual movie played it straight and earnest to the point of boredom. A pure cash grab without even the hint of a soul, not even worth it as a curiousity. Same with that Total Recall reboot, you're just left going "what was the point in that??"

I'd recommend Upgrade as a nice alternative to reboot Robocop... Already on Netflix and just a great film.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I'd recommend Upgrade as a nice alternative to reboot Robocop... Already on Netflix and just a great film.

Upgrade is not there anymore.

joe40 wrote: »
    They're a business, it's their job to make money.
    They'll charge the maximum prize that will give them maximum profit. Everyone in any business big or small does that.
    We as the consumer choose to pay or not.

I get this response every time I post the above message. . I know businesses only care about the bottom line . U are literally telling me nothing new. I just don’t think they have to increase their subscriptions every year , I say they are making a healthy enough profit already.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I say they are making a healthy enough profit already.
    Not hugely actually. They're spending an insane amount of money on new content so their profits aren't hugely impressive. They've saved a bit of money recently in that they can't make new content but it's still one of the reasons the cost goes up.

ixoy wrote: »
    Not hugely actually. They're spending an insane amount of money on new content so their profits aren't hugely impressive. They've saved a bit of money recently in that they can't make new content but it's still one of the reasons the cost goes up.

And what about the 16 million new subscribers they have gotten thanks to Covid/ lockdown????

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Booksmart- very enjoyable film, revolves around a group of high school students and a variation of parties the night before they graduate. A few lulls and one or two jokes that didn’t land but thought it was really good.

The Queens Gambit- got to episode 5 and gave up, looks fantastic but really dull overall. The benny character and its casting is just laughable. Don’t understand the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

And what about the 16 million new subscribers they have gotten thanks to Covid/ lockdown????

You're not wrong. But this is the system we live by. More demand higher the price. The same model incentivised Netflixs oirigns and scaling up giving us the content we enjoy today. Eventually a time will come where people have enough and will resort to other methods. But for now, it's probably justifiable. There would definitely come a time where I'd have enough. It's definitely getting to the stage now where leeching off accounts will be much harder to let slide.

This reminds me though to get rid of Prime and Now TV

You're not wrong. But this is the system we live by. More demand higher the price. The same model incentivised Netflixs oirigns and scaling up giving us the content we enjoy today. Eventually a time will come where people have enough and will resort to other methods. But for now, it's probably justifiable. There would definitely come a time where I'd have enough. It's definitely getting to the stage now where leeching off accounts will be much harder to let slide.

This reminds me though to get rid of Prime and Now TV

Ok thanks, yes but are they not worried to lose existing / loyal customers by price hikes or they calculate that risk is lower than the price increase every year.

Actually ya I just got billed €15 for now tv and actually pissed off cause I thought I was still on their €9 a month deal. Have to make sure to cancel by next month.

Finished firefly play, hope there is a second season. Didn't really get the ending.
    was it johnnys funeral ? And why is malerchy mad at Tully? Also was sad Max didn’t show up but she has only blame herself, treated him like sh*t. He was gorgeous and so lovely to her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Heckler

Next with Cage is entertaining hokum. If not just for Cage doing Cage then for Jessica Biel. Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

den87 wrote: »
    Booksmart- very enjoyable film, revolves around a group of high school students and a variation of parties the night before they graduate. A few lulls and one or two jokes that didn’t land but thought it was really good.

The Queens Gambit- got to episode 5 and gave up, looks fantastic but really dull overall. The benny character and its casting is just laughable. Don’t understand the hype.

Two comments I'd fully agree with.

I'm not sure where all the positive reviews for The Queen's Gambit are coming from. All style over substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Finished firefly play, hope there is a second season. Didn't really get the ending.
    was it johnnys funeral ? And why is malerchy mad at Tully? Also was sad Max didn’t show up but she has only blame herself, treated him like sh*t. He was gorgeous and so lovely to her.

Is that the same show as firefly Lane?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

Its Malarkys father's funeral . We don't know what tully did - its a cliff hanger. As far as I remember the funeral was 2 years on from when Johnny went to War. Hasn't been confirmed if Johnny's is actually dead - i think he may still be alive .. well I hope he is way to hot to not be in S2 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I'm trying to remember how much I used to spend in XtraVision/Video Rental. Maybe €6 every weekend. Then maybe another €6 on late returns........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

An awful pity you cant sort by popularity on threads like these.~
    Would save a man a lot of searching to find good movies

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    An awful pity you cant sort by popularity on threads like these.~
    Would save a man a lot of searching to find good movies

Use UPFLIX, sort by genre and rating.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,242 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Watched Private Life over the weekend. Was added ages ago but hadn't gotten around to it until now. Really good, Katherine Hahn is great in it.

Feel like it's the kind of film that would have gotten a few oscar noms if it wasn't a "Netflix Original". Worth a look if you like indie drama films with a healthy dose of humour (wouldn't quite call it a comedy though).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'm trying to remember how much I used to spend in XtraVision/Video Rental. Maybe €6 every weekend. Then maybe another €6 on late returns........

Even just one trip to the cinema in peak times would cost at least €10, if not more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Even just one trip to the cinema in peak times would cost at least €10, if not more.

Good way of looking at it to be fair

Advertisement